• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Koopa Questions: a Bowser Q&A Thread

Hobobloke

Atemon Game
Makes sense.

Like Flayl said if you don't use tap jump, otherwise you just hit up+b and the up motion will cause you to drop your shield via a jump, just hit B at the same time so you don't get airborne.

-Cross-

Smash Ace
Oh its just because that's what it said in the frame data thread and I was confused as to where you are getting extra invincibility frames from but if its just saying that you need to jump cancel at the soonest possible moment then I understand.

Katana_koden

Smash Ace
I never really matched a good bowser to worry about but what Is bowser metagame to watch out for? After seeing vex bowser and ixis bowser. Ixis seems to use bowser claws like snake CQC and vex grabs used like D3. So it seems he's a mix of D3 and snake if played properly. Who thought of it like that? Ne?

For bowser in general, what else can cause a problem, helps sum up what he can do for a pit matchup.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Against Pit?

If you're careless with Up-B I suppose he could hit you with Fire Breath. His FTilt and UTilt could pose problems with approaching. He's got a crazy big shield, so it's not wise to attack him when he's in it; you'll probably get Up-B'd. Aerial Side B (the Klaw) has so much range it IS funny, so watch out for that.

I'm mostly theorycrafting here, but just remember that he's more mobile than you think.

B!squick

Smash Master
Just spam arrows (like I had to tell you that) and never approach. After you get Bowser coming to you, use appropriate shield poking moves and hope that your arrow spam from before has weakened his shield enough, otherwise you'll be eating a UpB OOS.

Watch out for Klaw of course and always bare in mind that Bowser has a big boxing range.

You could probably be REALLY annoying by staying near the ledge where Bowser will have trouble getting to you a la Meta Knight. But please don't do that too much. It...

exdia_16

Smash Journeyman
okay here's the deal im not a bowser main but im here for help my friend is a member on the boards and mains bowser(dont let him know this)but he has the worst time playing my falcon my falco my mario and my lucas and diddy please show him sum stuff to make him better im here to help him everybodys help will gladly be appreciated he has no play styles or nothing hes just so predictable and i want him to get better but since i dont main bowser he wont listen to me please everybody makes fun of him for being bad his smash name is wispy pm me sum vids and guides that can help thank u guys so much for your tyme. my the klaw be with you.

B!squick

Smash Master
okay here's the deal im not a bowser main but im here for help my friend is a member on the boards and mains bowser(dont let him know this)but he has the worst time playing my falcon my falco my mario and my lucas and diddy please show him sum stuff to make him better im here to help him everybodys help will gladly be appreciated he has no play styles or nothing hes just so predictable and i want him to get better but since i dont main bowser he wont listen to me please everybody makes fun of him for being bad his smash name is wispy pm me sum vids and guides that can help thank u guys so much for your tyme. my the klaw be with you.
Gentlemen...
I present to you...
the longest sentence ever!

okay here's the deal
I'm listening.

im not a bowser main
Awwwww.

but im here for help
.... 'kay.

my friend is a member on the boards
Then why are you posting for him?

and mains bowser
People main Bowser? lols

(dont let him know this)
.... Right.

but he has the worst time playing my falcon
Stop. Either you're way out of his league or you need to stop cheating or something.

Understandable.

Eh...

and my lucas
Really? ._.

and diddy
Diddy is a chore. :<

please show him sum stuff to make him better
Where does he live? I have time on Monday.

im here to help him
Cool.

everybodys help will gladly be appreciated
It better! D:<

he has no play styles or nothing
Ah, so he has good mind games?

hes just so predictable
... Then tell him to stop. >.>

and i want him to get better
I want you to want him to get better.

but since i dont main bowser he wont listen to me
Then main Bowser. :/

please everybody makes fun of him for being bad

his smash name is wispy

pm me sum vids and guides that can help
Those are easy enough to find on your own.

thank u guys so much for your tyme.
It wasn't easy typing all of those quote boxes.

my the klaw be with you.
Ha. I may have to quote that. :)

exdia_16

Smash Journeyman
^you sir are the funniest guy i hav met on the boards but really if you can help please i cant main bowser he's too slow and i found my calling anyway. i will just talk to cook anyway.

Exegguter

Smash Lord
So uh yeah i recently picked bowser up but i still have some questions

1.What's a good approach for bowser vs projectile spamming campers, like i get outcamped alot and i dont know what to do :(

2.When do you use nair and dair??

3.do you ever use the bowser bomb (downb) on the ground..? is your opponent trapped like yoshi's down b if u do??

=\

Flayl

Smash Hero
NAir is the "emergency" aerial. It makes your hurtbox smaller and hits all around Bowser, so use it when FAir won't reach. That usually means when somebody is beneath you and airdodging won't help or they're in lag. There are a great number of dash attacks and such you can punish with NAir at low %s.

I like using DAir when I know my opponent is going to shield and that the shockwave will send them off the edge of the stage/platform. It's a pretty much useless aerial though.

For maneuvering around projectiles, klaw hop on platforms, short hop airdodges and walk/dash with power-shields.

You can use grounded bowser bombs as a surprise KO move, like once every set. It's possible to escape by airdodging the second hit, but that requires the opponent to have that in mind in the first place. Using it very rarely will make them slower to react to it.

B!squick

Smash Master
Oh, so it's like ADing the second hit? It only works if you turn to your opponent and say, "I'm gonna do a Bowser Bomb, get ready."?

Exegguter

Smash Lord
NAir is the "emergency" aerial. It makes your hurtbox smaller and hits all around Bowser, so use it when FAir won't reach. That usually means when somebody is beneath you and airdodging won't help or they're in lag. There are a great number of dash attacks and such you can punish with NAir at low %s.

I like using DAir when I know my opponent is going to shield and that the shockwave will send them off the edge of the stage/platform. It's a pretty much useless aerial though.

For maneuvering around projectiles, klaw hop on platforms, short hop airdodges and walk/dash with power-shields.

You can use grounded bowser bombs as a surprise KO move, like once every set. It's possible to escape by airdodging the second hit, but that requires the opponent to have that in mind in the first place. Using it very rarely will make them slower to react to it.
ok thanks a bunch!

also whats a good cp for bowser? and what do i need 2 ban when my opponent cps? and what's bowser's best neutal stage?

Hobobloke

Atemon Game
Oh, so it's like ADing the second hit? It only works if you turn to your opponent and say, "I'm gonna do a Bowser Bomb, get ready."?
I've had it happen many times from a grab release when they were just mashing to get out.

Honestly i think it's just a bad move in general someones reaction time would need to be quite bad not to AD out on reaction.

Flayl

Smash Hero
Using it as a grab-release isn't a good idea, because your opponent will be mashing shield to escape anyway.

To catch your opponent completely off-guard you need to use it without a setup.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Who can Bowser Air Release chain?
I know we have one on MK, but kinda confused on the others.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
lol ok, thanks of the point.
I'll check it now.

mars16

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5429-8906-2115
How do ou pull of a Bowser edge down B... grab edge thing....?

I tr it but Always die

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Make sure you're facing the ledge when you press down B. Other than that, it just takes some time to get used to how to space it.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Uh to help you out with both questions, about the Bowser bomb;

you can face whatever direction you want. You keep dying most likely because you're holding down as Bowser performs the Bowser Bomb. When you hold down with any character, you don't auto-snap to the ledge. So you either just fall past it, or, in Bowser's case, die.

Just don't hold down after you press down B.

And yeah, Bowserciding is allowed in tournaments. Wins you the match if you're both tied at last stock.

Hobobloke

Atemon Game
Some tournaments (pretty sure I've seen it in OS's rules) won't give you the win unless you jump out or survive, so if it goes to sudden death you lose. Though it's pretty stupid and you won't find it being used most tourneys.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Alright, Grab release frame stuff:
How many frames does bowser have when he releases a character, both for Ground and Air Releases?
What are the standard frames of release for each of those types when a character is released, and who are those with irregular numbers?
I can't seem to find it.

JOE!

Smash Hero
How much better off do you guys think bowser would be if he had a much better grab range?

Top Bottom