• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Koopa Questions: a Bowser Q&A Thread

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Definitely ICs. Bowser's grab game is pretty much taken out of the equation in this MU when both Popo and Nana are present. You have to make sure to use attacks with as little cooldown as possible, because one grab leads to a stock.

B!squick

Smash Master
Okay, I was kinda insulted and humbled that someone was insulting me until I read that post differently. Lame. And here I thought I'd reached Phiddlesticks recognition. :(

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Yeah at first I was reading it and I was like, wait, Scatz going at JayDeth? What? But then I looked at the other page and realized he was talking about MK.

Um, besides IC's and MK (maybe Diddy?) there's no real character that shuts Bowser down as hard. D3 is annoying but manageable...given the right ruleset, lol.

There are, however, multiple matchups that are just a ***** in every sense of the word, and it kinda differs for each Bowser I guess. An example of a character such as Olimar or Pikachu, maybe even Wario for some (maybe pushing it, I'm not sure lol). But yeah, that's just my take on his MU's.

bigman40

Smash Master
Sorry it seemed that way. I should've quoted your post to keep misunderstandings from happening.

Anyways, I ask because I plan on playing Bowser in tourney since I enjoy playing him a lot. Granted he's really young (only 3 days or practice), but I did extremely well for those 3 days vs my friends at a smashfest yesterday.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Well, as long as you don't encounter any Ice Climbers you should be good to go. I personally despise Diddy, and I haven't played against them enough to find anything that would work, so idk.

Um, matchups that I would personally stay away from because I don't like the work I have to put out:

Metaknight unless you're feeling brave;

Olimar mainly
Pikachu (kinda.)
ZSS (kinda.)
Toon Link, although if you're amazing at powershielding it gives you a pretty hefty leg up.

I'm also iffy about Lucario but I think that's just a personal one for me. Everyone else should be fine, lol.

gah same font color -.-

bigman40

Smash Master
Same font color *****. It means we're thinking alike and know the cool colors =P

I'll try to get some vids so I can get some critiquing on my Bowser. It'll be fun seeing you guys tear apart my Bowser XD

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Well usually the main issues with new Bowsers are how they use their tilts, their Klaw spacing, grab releasing and other clunky stuff...more like personal habits that we see.

I will say, before you do whatever you're going to do with Bowser in the next few days, you need to practice grab release timing and buffering moves out of the release so your FTilts/any moves don't get shielded.

It's not really that bad, lol.

bigman40

Smash Master
I'll make sure to keep that in mind. I know I have to work on the grab release since I haven't studied what he can do out of it on each character, but I'll learn as I go :)

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Alright, cool. HOPEFULLY, Vex will update the grab release chart. Of course, some of the stuff on there is valid, so I guess you can take a look haha.

Kitsune-kun

Smash Cadet
Hello guys, I'm a French (sorry if my English is bad <_<) DK mainer but I play Bowser since 1-2 months and I've got some questions for you because I'm really interested in that epic character :D !

I've got problem with DI and SDI with the big boy.
For example :
-With DK, I can SDI easily Ness' PK Fire.
-With Bowser, I can't SDI it...
Same for Snake's Nair, Zelda's Fsmash etc...

-With DK, I can survive until huge percentages without using the up B braking.
-With Bowser, I often survive till 30-40% less than DK

So, is it harder to DI/SDI with Bowser or I'm the problem ? D:
Thank you !

The DI question I can answer.

Bowser, whilst he is the heaviest in the entire game, suffers from being surprisingly floaty, his fast fall is not as good as other characters, and his aerials are sluggish, he has a very tiny momentum cancel, and cannot live as long vertically in comparison to Donkey Kong, who has a far greater momentum cancel.

This is the case with many other heavies such as Samus to Link, or Snake to Samus.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
And with SDI, my guess is since Bowser is a lot heavier/larger it'll be tougher to move out of certain moves. Although, the moment I see myself caught in an NAir, I SDI to the opposite direction. For example, if he's approaching my direction with NAir, I'll go behind him. If he's retreating I'll go to the front. If he just came out of a cypher and is coming down with it, I'll go up.

It works sometimes (some being <50% of the time) but you have to be really fast on reaction to those things. IDK what to say about PKFire though. That's just a pain in the ***. lol

Kitsune-kun

Smash Cadet
The DI question I can answer.

Bowser, whilst he is the heaviest in the entire game, suffers from being surprisingly floaty, his fast fall is not as good as other characters, and his aerials are sluggish, he has a very tiny momentum cancel, and cannot live as long vertically in comparison to Donkey Kong, who has a far greater momentum cancel.

This is the case with many other heavies such as Samus to Link, or Snake to Samus.
Ah thank you ! I'm kinda relieved XD

And with SDI, my guess is since Bowser is a lot heavier/larger it'll be tougher to move out of certain moves. Although, the moment I see myself caught in an NAir, I SDI to the opposite direction. For example, if he's approaching my direction with NAir, I'll go behind him. If he's retreating I'll go to the front. If he just came out of a cypher and is coming down with it, I'll go up.

It works sometimes (some being <50% of the time) but you have to be really fast on reaction to those things. IDK what to say about PKFire though. That's just a pain in the ***. lol
Aw, I'm not the only one about the PK Fire yaaa ! XD
Thank you for the advise about Snake's Nair.

You should SDI up to get out of snake's nair.
Yeah, and what about MK's nado btw ? I still can SDI up with DK but I can't with Bowser <_<

So that thing about you playing him in low tiers was a lie? :(
Aaaah no ! I only took Bowser in the low tier tourney ! And I got 17th out of 80, I'm kinda proud and that persuaded me to continue playing this character (that's probably why I'm here).
And I Counterpicked Kaos on SV with Bowser in the Singles tourney

I'm actually thinking about switching from DK to Bowser, but only in singles (and keeping DK for DDD and ICs XD).

EDIT : Okay Flayl Sorry :p

Flayl

Smash Hero
Kistune I was talking to Vex (I should have quoted him).

Good stuff representing the Koopa King btw.

B!squick

Smash Master
You can quit Bowser, BUT BOWSER NEVER QUITS YOU!

Also, you should never be hit by PK Fire. Like, ever. And lol at Bowser's shield being broken. You'll get hit LONG long before that ever happens.

B!squick

Smash Master
Depends. If a hitbox on the move doesn't deal enough hitstun leading into the next hitbox, yes. If it does, no. I don't know of any you can UpB out of off the top of my head besides Firebreath. Regardless, it's probably better to just DI out it in most cases.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I have tested it that you can upB out of PKfire, it's not generally smart since it become aerial upB most of the time.

Kalamence

Smash Rookie
I have a really quick question for you guys... Can bowser survive falco's cg spike?

I'm sorry if this has already been answered but I don't have time to read through 69 pages...

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I have a really quick question for you guys... Can bowser survive falco's cg spike?

I'm sorry if this has already been answered but I don't have time to read through 69 pages...
Yep. Just be sure to save your second jump. It's no problem.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Hellu Bowser Boards, you might be seeing me a lot here in the next little while asking questions about your character and how they perform on a certain stage.
Character boards seem to cycle through incomplete MU threads to new ones in hope to update them and finally complete them. This is the R.O.B. Boards attempt at completing a sufficient stage-discussion thread and I'm going to try my best to get accurate and thorough information, but I'll need your help. This will be the only question with an introductory. I just wanted to say hello and let you know that if you guys need info on anything for R.O.B. don't hesitate asking. ^_^

Anywho!

Q: How does Bowser fair off on Delfino Plaza in general and against R.O.B.. Why is it good or bad? What can Bowser abuse and what might possibly annoy you that R.O.B. can do on this stage? On a scale of 1 - 10, what do you see Bowser's chances of doing well on this stage against R.O.B. 1 being the worst for you 10 being the best.

thanks guys =]

<beep3

Flayl

Smash Hero
The transitional, rock and shine shrine parts of the stage allow for really early klaw kills if it's fresh - about 105% to 115% with DI depending on the transformation if you land on the higher parts.

I find it really easy to jump out of bowsercide with R.O.B. on this stage and if you're lucky the fortress will stall enough for Bowser to survive.

Bowser's only use for the water is for bowser bombing without being a complete sitting duck, otherwise it's a bad place for him to be in as far as I can tell. R.O.B. should be able to just wall him out of dry land with FAir unless the Bowser outreads him (or the R.O.B. player makes a poor read).

At first I was hoping the large amount of slopes would allow Bowser to force an air-release on R.O.B. and FAir him but it seems that needs completely horizontal running space for that to work so nevermind?

I don't remember exactly how much of R.O.B.'s UAir is disjointed, which can mean his UAir'ing under the stage is either a free fortress or not.

Fighting a R.O.B. that's on the upper end of the same slope seems like a chore, Bowser's only options seem to be either to klaw jump at him or catch him in lag with FAir. I didn't really give this that much attention though.

The transitional parts of the stage probably make edge-guarding with BAir a lot easier for R.O.B., due to how thin the ledge is.

Overall I'd say it's a slightly worse stage for Bowser than for R.O.B., but not nearly bad enough to be a counterpick.

Are there any multihit moves that Bowser can escape with his up b?
If he's trapped in his shield, he can Upb OoS Samus' Upb (while its in the air).

He can SDI into the stage just like any other character.

lol69.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Does Bowser's Grounded Up B have invincibility frames as well as Aerial Up B?
And how do I do that side b double jump cancel thingy

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Does Bowser's Grounded Up B have invincibility frames as well as Aerial Up B?
Grounded? yes. Aerial? Not sure, but I doubt it.

And how do I do that side b double jump cancel thingy
Just press side b and press x/y/up on the control pad before you touch the ground. Like, right before. And viola, welcome to '08 Bowser. Be sure to learn soon enough that klaw hopping isn't really that useful- or, not as useful as I thought.

Top Bottom