• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Koopa Questions: a Bowser Q&A Thread

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
It's makes your jumps lagless and Klaw has a landing lag of only 3 frames when you don't jump. It's great to use as an approach or to mind game your opponents. It's good for getting around Diddy's Bananas (as long as he doesn't use his Peanut Gun too... >.>) and slow or low to the ground projectiles.
I was going to ask a question about claw hopping as one of my questions but this partly answered it, now for the other part: does anyone use it nearly fully in place of running? I mean, dashing limits you to only a small handful of attack, Bowser's walk is too slow to use as an affective approach, and Bowser doesn't have a crawl or anything like that.

This, on the other hand, is very unpredictable, can easily be landed into any ground attack with only 3 frames added onto the attack due to landing. Yet is it a wise thing to use constantly to move around, or is there some sort of weakness in doing this? Should I mix it up with say, his up B for movement? Because quite honestly I find hid walk too slow, and I'm trying to limit how much I dash with characters unless I need to cover a large distance quickly.

Second Question: Mainly directed at Mr.Eh I guess but it may be a board thing so I'll ask here: why are you doing numbers first then summaries in the match-up topic? Knowing the number does not really help in a match-up, I believe most Bowser users would prefer to know what to expect and what to do over a number. At least thats how we see it at the Ike boards hence the lack of numbers so far. Numbers we put out are mainly from memory of the discussions and the one topic we had were we floated numbers around for a while.

Third Questions: Are there any typical "noob mistakes" I should avoid? I am interested in using Bowser, but I rather not start out on the wrong foot. Talking with Spadefox in the Tier List topic yesterday, I realized that Bowser and Ike have a lot of similarities, similar match-up numbers, yet oddly are on flip sides of the coin in match-ups, or at least one is often a lot better against a character then another. (For example: Ike sucks against Falco, Bowser doesn't do nearly as bad. Bowser gets ***** against ICs, Ike has a 6-4 over them. They both suck against D3 though. >_>). I'm so far finding switching between Ike and Bowser fairly straight forwards, but I want to avoid doing the equivalent of spamming Quick Draw with Ike when it comes to Bowser. Hopefully I'll face someone over wifi who can film matches so I can at least give you guys a very rough idea of what I am doing so I can get some pointers. Can't get to off line tournaments again until I fix the car headlights.....

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
I was going to ask a question about claw hopping as one of my questions but this partly answered it, now for the other part: does anyone use it nearly fully in place of running? I mean, dashing limits you to only a small handful of attack, Bowser's walk is too slow to use as an affective approach, and Bowser doesn't have a crawl or anything like that.
Bowser has a crawl.

This, on the other hand, is very unpredictable, can easily be landed into any ground attack with only 3 frames added onto the attack due to landing. Yet is it a wise thing to use constantly to move around, or is there some sort of weakness in doing this? Should I mix it up with say, his up B for movement? Because quite honestly I find hid walk too slow, and I'm trying to limit how much I dash with characters unless I need to cover a large distance quickly.
It actually really depends on whom you're playing. For some characters Klaw Hopping is far better (De3 comes to mind), but for some others, you might want to try FAir or Dashgrab as an approach.

Third Questions: Are there any typical "noob mistakes" I should avoid?
Yes. Avoid getting predictable, don't use FSmash regularly because you get easily punished, and mainly stay on the ground. Oh, and use lots of Jab, Ftilt and Fortress, Bowser's best friends.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way

You've never heard of the most amazing crawl that is boozers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rE8vn5Nx2-M

Third Questions: Are there any typical "noob mistakes" I should avoid? I am interested in using Bowser, but I rather not start out on the wrong foot. Talking with Spadefox in the Tier List topic yesterday, I realized that Bowser and Ike have a lot of similarities, similar match-up numbers, yet oddly are on flip sides of the coin in match-ups, or at least one is often a lot better against a character then another. (For example: Ike sucks against Falco, Bowser doesn't do nearly as bad. Bowser gets ***** against ICs, Ike has a 6-4 over them. They both suck against D3 though. >_>). I'm so far finding switching between Ike and Bowser fairly straight forwards, but I want to avoid doing the equivalent of spamming Quick Draw with Ike when it comes to Bowser. Hopefully I'll face someone over wifi who can film matches so I can at least give you guys a very rough idea of what I am doing so I can get some pointers. Can't get to off line tournaments again until I fix the car headlights.....
I'll just give a couple pointers.

If you don't need to approach, don't. Bowser has a very good defensive game so approach when forced or against certain moments where your better off anyway. Most chars will either spam or approach. If they have a projectile, you'll be forced to approach but that isn't necessarily bad because there's quite a bit bowser can do when he approaches and is approaching.

Don't spam fire. I see a lot of beginners use it like crazy. You probably know not to but it has a lot of ending lag. There will be moments when you can use it like when there's space between the two of you (usually depending on the char) and other moments. You can also use it to edgeguard.

Avoid using fortress at clumsy situations. You likely won't run into times like that but if you see a time when you don't think fortress is a good idea, don't use it. You'll get punished pretty bad. On the reverse side, fortress is a really good move and should be used to get out of bad situations, OoS etc.

That's all I got =/

-:bowser:Bowser King

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
*facepalm* at the crawl. I must have assumed he didn't because he is so flipping big. >_> I mean, it barely lowers his hurtbox.....Okay, make that a not very usable crawl. It's not like Snake's where he can use it to get under attacks.

You guessed correctly on warning me about fire: I was probably using it too much. As for fortress: I was never really sure when to use it as an attack, so I haven't really been doing so.

By approaching with Klaw Hopping, I should have said "use it to move around and then use Fair/Ftilt/What ever". As for keeping to the ground, would Klaw Hopping be usable to bait an approach, but sticking on the ground outside of that? Move forwards to just outside the opponent's range, then hop backwards as they hopefully attack and then capitalize on the lag? If they do nothing, I'm not in a particularly bad situation. I can hop even farther backwards, or Shield -> OoS Up B is needed.

I don't know why, but as you can probably tell I love Klaw Hopping. It's just funny somehow watching Bowser jump around like a jack rabbit.....

Is Jab -> Grab reliable, or is that something I'm going to have to shake off from using Ike when using Bowser?

B!squick

Smash Master
The downfall with Klaw is that you can't shield, only air dodge to get away from unavoidable attacks. And if you're too near your oppnent and they read that, they can punish you for it. Bowser has an average dash speed, so don't be afraid to use it. Tripping doesn't really hinder Bowser much, he's the heaviest of the heavy, so survivability isn't really an issue.

Fortress is best used OoS because you'll interupt their attack, damage them, and retreating away will keep you safe from relatiation from most of the cast (Sonic a possible exception). And if you cancel Fortress with a ledge grab it's unpunishable (more on this in my tech and strategy thread).

*nom noms on his pizza* Let's see, what else... I'm not sure why we're doing the summaries later. I guess no one felt like writing them up as we went and at one point we were really far behind the other boards, so I guess we just didn't bother. :/

Noob mistakes? Don't DownB without an opening. This is probably worse than too much Firebreath. And make you remember to shield alot. Bowser uses his shield probably more than any other character in the game. It's the biggest and he has the best options from it. Oh, make sure you have tap jump on. I started out with it off before I realised I needed it on for UpB OoS to work right, lol. That's pretty much it. You play Ike, so you know how to space.

Jab -> Grab isn't guarrenteed. It's fine as long as you don't get pridictable with it. Bowser has other good Jab cancel options besides that, like FTilt, Klaw, and if you nail both hits of DownB from a Jab cancel, you'll break any shield. XD

And yes, Klaw Hopping is for the instant win. Klaw itself ***** tall characters. Poor Ganondorf.... :(

EDIT: Oh yeah, how'd the match against Kosk go, Vex? Or has that not happened yet.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Sounds like I'm going to have to get used to an OoS game and *ugh* jump tap. Ike's OoS game sucks unless the opponent is standing RIGHT in front of him in jab range, and I normally have jump tap off; seeing as I'm Ike mainly I can't risk accidently wasting my second jump when trying to Uair to defend myself, but w/e.

Back to klaw hopping. XD

Vex Kasrani

Smash Master
Sounds like I'm going to have to get used to an OoS game and *ugh* jump tap. Ike's OoS game sucks unless the opponent is standing RIGHT in front of him in jab range, and I normally have jump tap off; seeing as I'm Ike mainly I can't risk accidently wasting my second jump when trying to Uair to defend myself, but w/e.

Back to klaw hopping. XD
You don't need tap jump on, to do upb out of shield just press upb and x or y and itll cancel your shield into upb like an upb out of shield with tap jump on.

B!squick

Smash Master
Really? Well, it's easier to do with tap jump at least, right?

Also, re-asking this: Oh yeah, how'd the match against Kosk go, Vex? Or has that not happened yet.

Sgt. Baker

Smash Ace
Alrighty, so I've been a Ganondorf main for a long, long time. I've done decent in tournies with Ganon but then my last tourney as a joke (at first) I choose Bowser. I placed 4th!! :laugh:

Now, I'm reading the guides too at the moment but I was wondering on a question: Are there any good follow-ups to the Up-Throw? There's probably something in the guides but I'm impatient haha. Any help would be nice. Thanks and hiya you got a new Bowser :chuckle:

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Alrighty, so I've been a Ganondorf main for a long, long time. I've done decent in tournies with Ganon but then my last tourney as a joke (at first) I choose Bowser. I placed 4th!! :laugh:

Now, I'm reading the guides too at the moment but I was wondering on a question: Are there any good follow-ups to the Up-Throw? There's probably something in the guides but I'm impatient haha. Any help would be nice. Thanks and hiya you got a new Bowser :chuckle:
Hey, Sgt. Baker. =) Welcome to the Bowser boards, we openly accept everyone who wants to play the spikey turtle king.

The UThrow in general is not too much recommended - the DThrow is great for damage, and... I honestly forgot if it was BThrow or FThrow for getting people offstage, I hardly use that... XD
UThrow looks awesome, I know, so if you do use it, you might throw an UTilt or an UAir afterwards.

B!squick

Smash Master
Up Throw has no guarrenteed follow up that I know of. It's pretty useful if you want someone above you, but generally you should rely on Bowser's Grab Release game.

MrEh

Smash Hero
I like Uthrow if there are platforms above you. Sets up for nasty things if there are platforms screwing with your opponent. lol

Hobobloke

Atemon Game
Don't throw, Grab release.

Ugh i have to update this thread I haven't for a while, I've been swamped with school work (**** physics!) sorry guys but it's the end of term now as soon as the holidays start I will update the OP. :)

EDIT:dam(n is censored? what's with that?!

Liquid Gen

Smash Ace
Forced air break is only doable on a few characters, including Kirby and Metaknight, among others.

And I'm not entirely sure about exact range, not sure if anyone has actually tested it.

MrEh

Smash Hero
Depends on the situation.

If I predict that I won't be able to force a ground release, I just Dthrow them and be done with it. 12% is better then a flubbed release.

Liquid Gen

Smash Ace
Oh dear. That's really bad, if we already have to dig up that thread out of a grave, haha.
Already done.

By the way, it seems as if more and more Bowser mainers are leaving. It seems these boards are more dead than ever, though it may be that since I left for so long I expect it to run faster. =/

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
I'm still here.

I prefer reading and only post when I want to give my opinion on something pretty big or want to correct something.

-:bowser:Bowser King

Vex Kasrani

Smash Master
I played boss yesterday in grand finals of a tournament, we did a best of 3 cause we just did, and I beat him with bowser 2-1, he won the first match with luigi, he lost the second match with luigi, and the third match he lost with mario. I asked boss if he would mind me posting this on smashboards to the bowser boards and he doesnt care D:.

Liquid Gen

Smash Ace
I played boss yesterday in grand finals of a tournament, we did a best of 3 cause we just did, and I beat him with bowser 2-1, he won the first match with luigi, he lost the second match with luigi, and the third match he lost with mario. I asked boss if he would mind me posting this on smashboards to the bowser boards and he doesnt care D:.
Lulz.

I beat Matador 2-1 on AiB ladder yesterday I believe... It's WiFi, but hey, it's better than nothing.

Btw Vex, get on MSN once in a while losar.

B!squick

Smash Master
Yes we do. Though I have no idea why their needs to be a back room for Bowser as I can't for the life of me figure out what you guys would do in there. Also, I find this funny:

we will invite you if you are either:

A. A quality poster on Bowser and his game

B. One of the top Bowser players, etc.
Since Sliq isn't listed as one of the members. Meaning he's not considered one of the top Bowser players (highly unlikely) or he hasn't accepted his invite yet. So he possibly doesn't want to be a part of the Back Room for whatever reason.

Now for my question. We all may or may not be aware that jumping and IMMEDIATELY performing a Bowser Bomb will cause you to land on a platform above you such as the side ones on Battlefield despite being mostly below it. Is this useful at all?

Top Bottom