• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Koopa Questions: a Bowser Q&A Thread

Alien Vision

Smash Ace
Didn't mean to sound like I expected that. I was just wondering since before he offered to help me, he was on pretty much everyday. I only asked because it was just a sudden moment. I am incredibly observant. I tend to question things like that all the time.

I usually check on the forums when I am waiting for a Brawl game to start. Lol.

Flayl

Smash Hero
Best AI to practice SDI against are Fox for multi-hit moves (Olimar is prety good for that too but those kinds of moves aren't that commonly used) and Luigi for fake combos.

Quarter-circle SDI means you roll the control stick between two positions that are a quarter-circle away from each other. Don't let the control stick return to the neutral position.

Alien Vision

Smash Ace
Thankyou for clearing everything up. I still have more questions. Lol. How do you approach a really good Pit? If I am aggressive I end up getting chaingrabbed, and risking alot of damage. I just have no idea where his openings are.

I just hate him as a character overall. Maybe thats why I can't kick his ***. XD

I know I can kill them if I play smart, but not knowing the match up can be a *****.

MP8

Smash Journeyman
Can anyone give me some tips on how to fall off and quickgrab the edge with Bowser(egdehog basically)? I seem to have trouble doing this generally but I especially struggle doing this with Bowser. Thanks.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
It's really just a matter of timing. Practice it repeatedly until you perfect it.

The term is called "speedhugging," for future reference.
:phone:

Player-1

Smash Legend
I'm not 100% on this so I just want to be sure, the percent with the lower percent controls the movement of booser when he does his side-b right? And the person with the higher port priority wins if it's both last stock right?

also, how do you do the thing where booser escapes the side-b at the end of the fall?

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
the person with the lower percent controls it yes, but it's not that black and white...

and the escaping thing depends on the stage, character weight and timing.

MP8

Smash Journeyman
It's really just a matter of timing. Practice it repeatedly until you perfect it.

The term is called "speedhugging," for future reference.
Ok, I will. I appologize for my lack of knowledge of the terms but I'm still learning them. I figured it was the same way. I noticed because of his weight, momentum with shift more to the side so I was just wondering if there was more to it than the fundamentals show. Thank you.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
You bet man. It honestly took me a while to get the timing down for heavies, and it's still something I mess up if I don't practice it every now and then.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Don't forget you can instantly grab grounded bananas by Klawhopping onto them and pressing down.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Does anyone have any suggestions for the Diddy MU? I'm determined to beat my friend with Bowser :p
upB way less, or if you have to, upB in place. Lots of klawhop, get on the edgeguard hard.

My question: I notice Ixis does this thing where he wavebounces fire, I'm normally able to do this with Snake's and Lucario's specials just fine, but Bowser I can't seem to do for some odd reason, and it seems like a decent, albeit gimmicky wall. Can anyone break down the input a bit?

Also, fsmash is too good, I love that lean-back for punishing (it makes people like Snake second guess for that otherwise easy ftilt), what other stuff do you guys end up using it for outspacing?

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I use fsmash to outspace a lot. Off the top of my head:

Marth fsmash
Marth nair
Marth dtilt
Kirby ftilt
Kirby fsmash
Kirby bair
Kirby dtilt
Kirby nair
MK ftilt
MK dtilt
MK dsmash
MK fsmash
Snake ftilt
Snake jab
Wario fsmash

There's a lot more, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Vex used to nair on shield and then fsmash the grab. It's pretty wicked.

And of course, it wrecks spotdodges.

As for wavebouncing Firebreath, I don't really know how to give you any advice. I just read how to do it and practiced until I got the timing down. XD

B!squick

Smash Master
B Reversing the Firebreath works exactly like it does for any other character though I'd like to point out that I think Ixis does it by accident most if not all of the time.

B!squick

Smash Master
I have had that happen before a couple of times. Same thing as the method to reversing your momentum with a B move only you just reverse the direction. It's one of those where you have to do it "just right" to get it work.

I think a good way to practice is to grab a ledge, jump, and perform a neutral B while barely moving the stick away from the stage. Too much and you reverse your momentum and way too much and you Side B.

Hope that helps.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
oh that, it's the same way you do it with every character. there's no real specific timing for any b-reversed move because the input is all the same for the majority of the characters. there are just some moves that really can't be b reversed or have little to no distance changed when performed.

anyway, jump with bowser, and say for example you're jumping to the right.

what you wanna do is flick the joystick to the left. what this does is make it so that if you were to only press b this time, bowser would shoot fire, but to the left--bowser would still be going towards the right though.

you know this though, the thing you want is this: you do basically what i said above, flick the stick to the right, and then b-reverse in the direction you've been facing to begin with.

it should look like this: [jump/be in the air], hold -> (sometimes you don't even have to do this), flick <- (or opposite direction), b reverse in the direction you were facing to start (which in the example's case is ->)

Flayl

Smash Hero
I find it kind of odd that a Lucario main is asking Bowsers how to wavebounce the neutral B. From all the characters I played (Bowser, Snake, Dedede, Mario) it's the same input for everyone, the only thing that changes is the retreated distance.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
idk why, The biggest reason I can guess w/ why it seems inconsistent w/ bowser is that w/ snake I usually double jump to wavebounce grenades and w/ Lucario he's really floaty to begin with. Not that I do it often, whiffing with those characters isn't nearly as doable as it is for Bowser lol (random nikita ftl)

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
Bowsers Fsmash reminds me of Yoshi's. Thats how i use it anyway. Pull back and break their face.

Is Jab to regrab definite on anyone? or is it just a mixup?

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
apparently if you airdodge it's the best thing to do.

ad/fair

or flayl will need to fix that

Flayl

Smash Hero
i think it was limit who said air dodge is 1 frame faster
It was me after frame-by-frame testing.

Best vertical (and diagonal) momentum cancel: Fastfall Fair, double jump

Best horizontal momentum cancel: Airdodge, double jump

It's only better than FAir by 1 frame so if you FAir you're fine, just don't fastfall it.

DarkdeathEvilman

Smash Rookie
I wanted to ask a question about the Mario matchup. Whats the best way to deal with Mario's cape when you're off the edge? He can do it when you try to recover to the ledge easily, but if you use whirling fortress higher up in the air, he can just punish you for it, so once Bowser is at a high percentage against Mario, it seems very difficult for Bowser to get back safely on the stage.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Just mix up your recovery. Go high some times, and then try going low. Personally I recover low more often than high.

Flayl

Smash Hero
I used to think that would be a major problem in the matchup but truth is Mario's horizontal knockback moves all allow you to drift back to the stage (because of angle and brawl's gravity) so that you have a lot of flexibility in recovering, including using a C-Stick Fair to protect yourself. If he had Fox's DSmash or something like that we'd be in trouble but he doesn't.

BAir is more of a problem honestly, just remember to stop holding the control stick when you see him going for the cape.

Player-1

Smash Legend
Went all Bowser in a side tournament today and got to winner semis. It was 2 stock 6 minute matches. I beat a good marth/sonic player and a good TL player but lost to a good Ike player. Then I had to play a Yoshi so I said **** it and went luigi and barely lost then game 2 I went FD planning on falco, but he went pikachu probably thinking i was diddy so I decided to go bowser but lost =/

Top Bottom