• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Koopa Questions: a Bowser Q&A Thread

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Damn, you're a killjoy AND a lame? ****, Dre. lmao

I HEAVILY suggest that you consider that name a bit more strongly though, it'd all do us a great number if you did so.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Dayam, why am I getting so much hate.

Flayl said he didn't like when people who use Bowser say 'we' when talking about him, I said that if he's acting as if there's a right of passage to video game character, that's really sad.

But oh well, as the pic says-

Hades gonna Hade.

Flayl

Smash Hero
I wasn't being elitist nor was I acting like there's a rite of passage. If that were so I wouldn't have helped him or you for that matter. Is it really so weird to you that when I read "we" on a Bowser forum I automatically think Bowser players?

Have you ever had a friend pop up half an hour late for a meet and the first thing he says is "what are we up to?". It annoys me, but it's not like I'm going to hold a grudge against him. There's a reason I used "pet peeve".

If you really think someone's going to ostracize anybody on a video game forum for stuff like that you need to check who's being sad.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
But when he says 'we' he's probably referring to when he uses the character, he isn't necessarily calling himself a Bowser main.

Now if he was a Puff main, and you guys were discussing the MU, and said 'we' have a GR to uair on Puff, that'd be weird.

I wasn't necessarily accusing of claiming a right to passage, I was asking if you were, because I've seen people on char boards do that before.
But you're clearly not, so there's no bad blood right hurr......

:phone:

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Question.

So Flayl said a while back that jab>grab is true on Jiggs. Does this mean we have a true jab>grab>GR jab>regrab across the stage, where we can then GR>upair?

Flayl

Smash Hero
Jiggs can do something to escape that. Don't know if I should post how because then I'd be taking away combo vid opportunities lol

Uncle

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Like Bowser needs to worry about an MU against a character that's even worse and more underplayed than he is. :awesome:

On a serious note, do you think we'll ever get anything done on the MU thread ever again?

Considering the fact that a new version of the BBR MU chart is in the works, and that the top Bowser minds are already involved with that, I could see why the MU thread here would be moot, with the exception of detailed writeups (which none of us seem to want to do/have time for).

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
We're actually doing writeups for all the MUs that have been debated this go-around. I need to see what our official policy is, but I'd like to release as much MU discussion as I can because we've definitely had some great discussions so far.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Two random questions-

Who are the high level Bowsers? Vex and Ixis don't use him anymore as far as I understand, so who are the ones currently pushing his metagame?

The MU chart shows Bowser with close MUs with the spacies, which surprised me. Why does he go so close with them?

Thanks in advance.

Flayl

Smash Hero
Two random questions-

Who are the high level Bowsers? Vex and Ixis don't use him anymore as far as I understand, so who are the ones currently pushing his metagame?
Ixis is still playing. The most active Bowsers are Zigsta and Uncle as far as I can tell, while KingKong and Ixis have less frequent showings in tournaments but are nowhere near inactive.

I don't know who the active online Bowsers are, probably Limit, Kagato and some others on AllIsBrawl.

The MU chart shows Bowser with close MUs with the spacies, which surprised me. Why does he go so close with them?
All 3 get hit pretty hard with grab release options, with Fox being the least affected. Their shield pressure game doesn't work very well against fortress. Their fast fall makes firebreath somewhat viable, specially as a burst for edgeguarding (not that good against Wolf). That's all I can think of that they share in common.

IMO the MU with Falco isn't really that close but I probably have the slowest reaction time out of the players here so I'm biased.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
All the spacies also get dumped on by offstage nair. Gimps them at mid percents.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
I'm not active at all lol, I seriously do not play this game for longer than 1-2 weeks during spotty periods. I'm useless.

I don't play WiFi that often, and the last tournament I was at was in August.

who is kagato?

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Thanks guys.

I just assumed Bowser would get destroyed by lazer camping. How do you deal with it?

Is pivot grab a good option, doesnit have longer range?

Also, with jab cancelling, does the crouch actually cancel any lag? Sometimes I'll jab-crouch into a move, or just jab into a move with (not a special attack) and they seem to come out at the same speed. So do cancelling make it quicker, or can I just time the second move correctly and it'll come out at the same speed.

Thanks in advance.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Bowser doesn't get destroyed by laser camping..it's annoying but Bowser can jump over it. He can/probably will come down with Klaw, and there's not that much Falco can really do in that instance besides shoot another laser. With Fox there's even less because his lasers don't actually stop movement, so in that instance you don't even need to be airborne. In fact, against Fox you'd be better off just walking/running through lasers and closing the gap. And Wolf's lasers aren't a problem really. The problem with Falco's projectile is that it forces him to commit to that animation, so if Bowser gets him, he gets him.

Pivot grab is a good option for what? Your question is kinda vague..what are you comparing it to?

About the jab crouching thing, I'm not sure. I just usually Jab and then press down, but usually if you crouch it messes up the buffering

and @flayl I never knew he even existed. He looks like Zigsta from 9 months ago...or maybe that's just WiFi lag, but whatever lol

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Thanks.

I meant if pivot grab was a viable move, and if it has enough of an increase in range to justify using it over a normal grab.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Pivot grab doesn't have much range, but Bowser turns on a dime, so it's good for punishing dash attacks. Other than that, I just use it to beat airdodges into the ground.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
I posted about him before... I didn't say he was super pro either, just active.

edit: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=11733127&highlight=kagato#post11733127

haha
wooooooooooooooooooooooow. Kagato with the ill memory spike then..lmao I feel bad now

;-;

Also treat Bowser's pivot grab like any normal pivot grab...just beat airdodges with it and kill dash options. I think I'd personally rather stick to a normal grab. Besides, even if a move happens to cross you up in shield, instead of dropping to pivot grab in advance, why not just let it cut you through and then turn around and grab the character?

edit: I was going to mention MK's glide attack (clipping from the top! If it comes from the front it definitely won't cross up lol) as an example but you'd be better off UpBing in that situation anyway, so whatever. :l

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Ftilt, Klaw, and jab. Not everything because we can't dtilt him.

Flayl

Smash Hero
You can DTilt if you're lucky, with emphasis on lucky. Frames 9-15 of a pummel releases the opponent slightly closer. That's 7 frames out of 28 not including intervals between pummels

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I wouldn't try dtilting Marth out of GR. Mess up, and you get up B'd.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
I would DTilt if you have good reflexes and can tell how "close" close enough is for a DTilt.

Or you could do what Flayl said and try to time it, but if the distance looks fine enough, go for it. If not, do something else.

Dyclone

Smash Ace
I didn't read back on this thread and I hope I'm not asking an already answered question, but...
How can Bowser slow down the speed of a match to a speed that works for him?

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I didn't read back on this thread and I hope I'm not asking an already answered question, but...
How can Bowser slow down the speed of a match to a speed that works for him?
Work on your reaction time, and stay grounded.

Top Bottom