• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Koopa Questions: a Bowser Q&A Thread

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Zigsta's response makes more sense. Don't go into the air unless it's absolutely necessary, even when you're under pressure. Bowser has one of the better shield options in this game, so use them to your advantage. Bowser also has a great ground game that isn't only limited to jab. Jab is a good "get off me" type of move and it's good for covering mistakes when you **** up, but it gets old after a while and it's not as safe on block as it seems...I learned that a few days ago.

If you want to use aerial Klaw, just shorthop, don't do a whole double jump fiasco and get your *** kicked for it.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Essentially Bowser jumps because most people bring up their shield when their opponent jumps into them since they're used to aerials. Klaw beats shield 100% of the time.

One trick I do is run offstage, then jump back on and Klaw their shield. Most people rush after Bowser when he goes offstage.

Klaw Hop mindgames also work great. Mix up jumping forward, backwards, and empty Klaw Hops. It's a solid way to bring up a shield or beat out their move with Klaw.
:phone:

Dyclone

Smash Ace
Zigsta's response makes more sense. Don't go into the air unless it's absolutely necessary, even when you're under pressure. Bowser has one of the better shield options in this game, so use them to your advantage. Bowser also has a great ground game that isn't only limited to jab. Jab is a good "get off me" type of move and it's good for covering mistakes when you **** up, but it gets old after a while and it's not as safe on block as it seems...I learned that a few days ago.

If you want to use aerial Klaw, just shorthop, don't do a whole double jump fiasco and get your *** kicked for it.
I never knew Bowser's ground game was that much better than his air game. Ok, Ill experiment with some of his OoS options. I do get a little too comfortable with jab... I understand why I don't see it used much now.
Essentially Bowser jumps because most people bring up their shield when their opponent jumps into them since they're used to aerials. Klaw beats shield 100% of the time.

One trick I do is run offstage, then jump back on and Klaw their shield. Most people rush after Bowser when he goes offstage.

Klaw Hop mindgames also work great. Mix up jumping forward, backwards, and empty Klaw Hops. It's a solid way to bring up a shield or beat out their move with Klaw.
I never noticed little common habits like that. I'll remember that and try it out when I get the chance. At least I got a new way to beat out shielding, haha!

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
I really only use Jab when I whiff a Klaw or I need to punish something that Klaw or FTilt won't be able to do. I probably use Klaw almost unhealthily because I don't really use anything else. As long as you cover it well enough, it's a done deal.

The trick that Zigsta was talking about does work, and if you happen to whiff it or whatever, you can just Klawhop backwards or whatever you need to in order to escape a potentially bad situation. I personally don't Klawhop that much because it only has some appeals into my style (it adds on to pressure and aggression when the opponent is in the air) otherwise, idk.

There are a lot of things I tried to work into with Bowser. He has a lot of things, like if you watch Zigsta or me or KingKong, we're all really different in the way we use things and handle options. I tried to use some things, but that just never worked in my style. I cut out a lot of unncessary things if there's one move or one option that's proven to be more efficient of successful , which is part of my problem. If Klaw does it better, I''ll just use Klaw. As an example, with platform pressuring, instead of trying to work off of an UpSmash or UpTilt, I'll just cut the bull**** and short hop Klaw to get it over with.

It sounds really robotic, but I guess that's how I work. I mean, I'm really good at adapting and changing based on people's habits. It really only takes me about one time to pick up on some minuscule detail and get in their *** for it later... but that's just how I go into each match lol.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Literally all someone would have to do is just walk and shield and jab becomes useless by then. Of course, then the argument would be that we have Klaw, but...Klaw sucks too to be honest, because all it takes is a well timed spotdodge or a crossup roll and then it all goes to hell. But some people forget that.

And then it goes back to what I mentioned about covering whiffs.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Lol, im not retardedly spamming jab, it's just a lot of my responses are jab. I still klaw, I still fortress, I still ftilt, etc (although I do need to use more klaw) it's just I use a lot of jab lol.

Dyclone

Smash Ace
I really only use Jab when I whiff a Klaw or I need to punish something that Klaw or FTilt won't be able to do. I probably use Klaw almost unhealthily because I don't really use anything else. As long as you cover it well enough, it's a done deal.

The trick that Zigsta was talking about does work, and if you happen to whiff it or whatever, you can just Klawhop backwards or whatever you need to in order to escape a potentially bad situation. I personally don't Klawhop that much because it only has some appeals into my style (it adds on to pressure and aggression when the opponent is in the air) otherwise, idk.

There are a lot of things I tried to work into with Bowser. He has a lot of things, like if you watch Zigsta or me or KingKong, we're all really different in the way we use things and handle options. I tried to use some things, but that just never worked in my style. I cut out a lot of unncessary things if there's one move or one option that's proven to be more efficient of successful , which is part of my problem. If Klaw does it better, I''ll just use Klaw. As an example, with platform pressuring, instead of trying to work off of an UpSmash or UpTilt, I'll just cut the bull**** and short hop Klaw to get it over with.

It sounds really robotic, but I guess that's how I work. I mean, I'm really good at adapting and changing based on people's habits. It really only takes me about one time to pick up on some minuscule detail and get in their *** for it later... but that's just how I go into each match lol.
So Jab is well used as a cover or when you whiff(a Klaw). Alright, that sounds good.

KlawHopping is the term? Good to know. Well, it was the first thing to come to mind when the scenario of it missing was thought up. Adding/Continuing pressure is a/the use for it? I just used it as a way to keep in the air and to stay mobile which I now realize isn't a good idea.

Lol. I don't know how to reply to that. I'll check out some videos. Seeing what works for me won't be a new thing, not at all.

Thanks, Limit and Zigsta! I learned a lot. I think I'm going to pick him up for a while and see how it goes.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Yeah, I jab a lot more than most Bowsers. It's still fairly safe on shield, especially after conditioning your opponents with jab cancelling. If they shield after jab 1, regrab or Klaw, and if they spotdodge, fsmash. You can also go for running upsmash or charged dsmash reads if they roll away or into you. Jab>jab works to keep people guessing, and jab>ftilt does nice damage, but I don't use it much since ftilt gets bodied by shield. If someone's up close while I'm jab canceling, I go for quick options like Klaw.

Basically see how you opponent reacts to jab. If you condition them right, you can punish their habits.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
uh...that's cool

thanks for not answering the question though

if it is what i think it is at this point, then that is disgusting as **** and i want you to know that you are horribly mistaken

I am not a scalie

if it's not that, then i'm wrong and sorry for assuming, but i still don't know what it is

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
FurWiki said:
Scalies are anthropomorphic creatures of the reptile and amphibian variety. As furries are nicknamed such for their humanoid shape covered in fur, scalies tend to have a coating of scales much like the animals they represent.
Basically reptilians with human characteristics (walking, talking, etc) are scalies.

Calvonta "Calvo" parker

Smash Apprentice
uh...that's cool

thanks for not answering the question though

if it is what i think it is at this point, then that is disgusting as **** and i want you to know that you are horribly mistaken

I am not a scalie

if it's not that, then i'm wrong and sorry for assuming, but i still don't know what it is
Bro, calm down. If its someone comes at you with somthing you don't know about, don't get upset. Adapt to what thier talking about by researching it yourself. Scalies arent all revolting as you say them to be, like Bowser; Scalies can be cool. ;~;
As defined above

Calvonta "Calvo" parker

Smash Apprentice
You're not telling the whole story. Tell him why you would call humans scalies.
No! lol it's weird. If people like Scalies even a little, they are Scalies, not big Scalies but they are. Just like furries yo! You main Bowser, he is a Scalie. You must like Bowser in some way to main him don't you?

Flayl

Smash Hero
I like his character, I'm not attracted to him. Now that you've clarified Limit, please stop talking.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
You don't have to be attracted to a character to play him. I main Bowser because of his tools, aka his command grab and grab release stuff, combined with his OoS threats.

I like his character, but he's ugly as **** anyway. Besides, you just said it's weird also

Calvonta "Calvo" parker

Smash Apprentice
You don't have to be attracted to a character to play him. I main Bowser because of his tools, aka his command grab and grab release stuff, combined with his OoS threats.

I like his character, but he's ugly as **** anyway. Besides, you just said it's weird also
Thats what I was talkin about! lol Whats goin on in your head?

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
But do you like math in a romantic/sexual way, as in you think it's hot, attractive, or even just good looking?

If so, yep, you are.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Did Bowser have frame advantage out of releases in Melee too?

I'm just curious if it's something they'll remove in the next game.

Does his fair have any uses? It seems outclassed by klaw to me.

Does jab cancelling actually allow to use the next move faster, or can you just time it correctly and it'll still come out at the fastest speed possible?

Soz for all the questions. Thanks in advance

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Did Bowser have frame advantage out of releases in Melee too?

I'm just curious if it's something they'll remove in the next game.

Does his fair have any uses? It seems outclassed by klaw to me.

Does jab cancelling actually allow to use the next move faster, or can you just time it correctly and it'll still come out at the fastest speed possible?

Soz for all the questions. Thanks in advance
Yes, GIMR discovered Bowser has GR options in Melee following a Klaw GR. He revealed it in a Metagame Minute. Even Gimpyfish learned something new!

Fair will be fresher when your Klaw is stale. I tend to use it more when my opponent is in the air. One trick I like to do is crouch near the ledge when my opponent is there: They think a dtilt is coming, and they jump right into my fair.

Jab canceling doesn't let the next move come out faster. It works on most characters just because most of Bowser's options following Jab 1 are in reaction to your opponent's reaction to the Jab 1, ie spotdodge gets fsmashed, shield gets Klawed/regrabbed, etc.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
So if cancelling a jab with a crouch doesn't make the next move (eg. ftilt) come out faster, why do you need to do it if you can just time the ftilt properly so that you don't jab2?

And are you saying we can punish their respone on reaction, or do we have to predict? I always thought we had to predict.

Also, what are his best stages? BF and SV come to mind, but I'm not sure about anything else.

Also, I watched some of your vids from a couple of months ago, and I know I'm pulling rank here but I really think you should implement b reverse firebreaths to cover landings or as a safer option than retreating klaw because of the increased range. Could be wrong though.

Thanks again.

Flayl

Smash Hero
crouching lets you FTilt without moving forward first

there's this huge window after Jab 1 that can be overrided by moving without the A button, like crouching or walking forward

that being said I personally don't use crouch to do Jab 1 -> FTilt (for that I just walk forward), I use it for Jab 1- > DTilt or Jab 1 -> Grab (if I hit someone's shield). Ixis uses it for Jab 1 -> Jab 1 but IMO that's bad and shouldn't be done ever

Bowser's best stages hugely depend on matchup. Since even his grab release options are matchup dependent, he doesn't necessarily want flat stages.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
So if cancelling a jab with a crouch doesn't make the next move (eg. ftilt) come out faster, why do you need to do it if you can just time the ftilt properly so that you don't jab2?
I don't crouch to jab cancel, either. Some people do--whatever makes it easier for you. When I first started playing Bowser, I crouched, but then I got the timing down.

Dre. said:
And are you saying we can punish their respone on reaction, or do we have to predict? I always thought we had to predict.
It's more conditioning. For example, if you keep misbuffering ftilt out of GR and they shield twice in a row, you'll probably be able to get off Klaw or a regrab next time. It still requires some prediction on your part, of course, but you'd be surprised how much conditioning works on even top players.

Dre. said:
Also, what are his best stages? BF and SV come to mind, but I'm not sure about anything else.
Like Flayl said, they're fairly MU dependent. My favorite stages are Brinstar, BF, PS1, Castle Siege, and Yoshi's. I CP people to those stages depending on their character and their playstyle.

I personally don't like Smashville because I don't practice on that stage often, and typically people who like going there practice on it often. Taking them there would give them a slight edge with platform canceling shenanigans. I almost always strike this if I'm in a region where they suggest going to Smashville instead of striking.

Dre. said:
Also, I watched some of your vids from a couple of months ago, and I know I'm pulling rank here but I really think you should implement b reverse firebreaths to cover landings or as a safer option than retreating klaw because of the increased range. Could be wrong though.
Yeah, I've had people tell me that before. I personally don't use Firebreath very often because it forces Bowser to stay still. If I wanna stay still--and I often do--I prefer to just sit there so I can use one of Bowser's faster options with less ending lag.

I typically use Firebreath in MUs where I like to keep my distance a bit or they dash often. I also use it to bait moves I can punish, ie MK's Nado.

I do appreciate the suggestion, though. :)

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Thanks for the info.

I meant covering your own landings if I didn't make that clear. I find that it works well alongside klaw because it covers a lot of of options that people will take if they expect a klaw, like dashes and well spaced attacks. Kinda like how D3s like to reverse inhale on landings because it covers shields, which is the defensive option to a bair.

I've been reading up on grab and air releases and I still don't quite understand how they work. Will a char whose feet don't touch the ground when Bowser grabs them always AR? And do platforms ruin AR follow ups?

For chars who we have options on for both GRs and ARs, is it possible to react to the release and get a guaranteed follow up, or do we have to commit to one release follow up to get the necessary buffering?

Flayl

Smash Hero
Yes. Depends but a lot of times Yes.

Yes if you're quick enough. Nothing like playing the game to find out.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I'm not sure about the feet touching the ground part. I just memorized the list of characters we have AR CGs on.

Like Flayl said, platforms mess up some ARs. Off the top of my head, we can still fair Wario even if a platform is above us. I think we can for Squirtle but I can't test to check at the moment.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Platforms will never screw up the Squirtle CG he releases too low.

Or at least with Yoshi he does, but Id assume with Squirtle being released higher from Yoshi in the first place it wouldnt make a difference.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
I find that if you're gifted with good enough reflexes, the releasing issue isn't a problem for you at all.

I just try my best to manipulate the game and the opponent's breaking, and then whatever happens happens. Really you can buffer for a DTilt by holding down and if they air release just do a QCF to move and tell yourself to not press A. It took me a while but I got it at some point. I probably forgot it anyway since it's been so long

obviously with that being said, it's easier said than done and if your reflexes are average or below that, it's even harder. I think Squirtle does get messed up by BF platforms...

How does squirtle get released higher by Yoshi if Bowser is taller? I don't follow

B!squick

Smash Master
Aw, I missed a furry related discussion. And what in the given definition made you guys think it was sexual in nature? Though Bowser IS pretty sexy...

Top Bottom