• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kish Character Impressions 2/9/08 Tournament

Ryan-K

Smash Master
The ****....
How the hell can you even make a tier list yet, until there are tourneys with skilled players we won't know.

And then there's the fact that you said you just didn't like some of the characters so they were lower, wth?

And if Samus is like in Melee she'll be high tier, I really can't see her being any worse than she was in melee.
He's not making a tier list it's his own ****ing opinion. I guess we can't make our opinions until another 14 months then? WTF?

I agree with Mookierah.

Jackal478

Smash Ace
I think this thread is mildly biased.

Plus, you cant make such asumptions if you haven't even played all the chars. Wait for it to come out and see the Average top 5 Tourney/Online characters, then this thread wouldnt be so useless.

dmbrandon

Smash Master

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
They are opinions people. No one is right/wrong yet, nor am I claiming to be. Sigh.

Tiers are removed from the list, I honestly posted those by mistake.

ApatheticApe

Smash Rookie
Last time I checked making a list and putting characters higher up based on how good they are is making a tier list.

Once again, there can't be a tier list until the game has been around for awhile and we get the results from tournaments and the like.

It's different then having an opinion.

I'm on dmbrandon's side on this. His explanations are more detailed and his videos back it up. 80+ hours logged on the game kind of speaks for itself.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
I'm on dmbrandon's side on this. His explanations are more detailed and his videos back it up. 80+ hours logged on the game kind of speaks for itself.
Alot of people play melee for ridiculous amounts of time and still suck or don't know what they are talking about, so what's your point.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I guess being the definitive group associated with the Midwest for the entire duration of melee and hosting a tournament for Brawl to get info doesn't matter much in comparison to some random guy I've never heard of clocking 80+ hours.

dmbrandon

Smash Master
They are opinions people. No one is right/wrong yet, nor am I claiming to be. Sigh.

Tiers are removed from the list, I honestly posted those by mistake.
Don't remove your stuff because people are ignorant.

Last time I checked making a list and putting characters higher up based on how good they are is making a tier list.

Once again, there can't be a tier list until the game has been around for awhile and we get the results from tournaments and the like.

It's different then having an opinion.
Last time I checked, ranking characters on singular ability is just that. It's how characters can adapt to each match-up is how tiers are made.

Marth has perfect spacing in melee, can keep characters away easily.
Chun-li has a powerful camp game, and get passed most parried moves, and combo easily into supers.
Eddie... Well ****, Eddie is broken.
Itachi/ temari can full combo people without the opponents knj-ing.
Balrog (Bison) has insane priority, and range, while his power stomps out 50% combos with relative ease. Oh, and chain grabbing.
Steve Fox has speed to get past any move in the game. Plain and simple.

It's the way they're used, as opposed to their stats.

The games listed are: SSBM, SF3, Guilty Gear, Naruto:GNT4, Sf2-superturbo, and tekken 5; respectively.

dmbrandon

Smash Master
I guess being the definitive group associated with the Midwest for the entire duration of melee and hosting a tournament for Brawl to get info doesn't matter much in comparison to some random guy I've never heard of clocking 80+ hours.
You know, not to flame, but they host, but never get close to winning. (Sorry, I had to make that point) Whereas I've won almost every match I've played, even when I play random.

The fact is, your claim to fame is a mewtwo that has been overshadowed for years now. Don't bring my character into play. If you're going to try to start a flame war, do it on aim, or PM. And I'm also hosting Brawl tourns regularly, with decent amount of KNOWLEDGEABLE players attending.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
You know, not to flame, but they host, but never get close to winning. (Sorry, I had to make that point) Whereas I've won almost every match I've played, even when I play random.
The game has hardly been out for 2 weeks quit being so **** gassed up.

I don't lose matches in my neighborhood either so I guess that makes me pretty badass.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
The fact is, your claim to fame is a mewtwo that has been overshadowed for years now. Don't bring my character into play. If you're going to try to start a flame war, do it on aim, or PM. And I'm also hosting Brawl tourns regularly, with decent amount of KNOWLEDGEABLE players attending.
WTH mangz? You talk about my "claim to fame" and whatnot, but where is your claim to anything? Seriously, all you have done is made a few threads about Brawl and got the game before most other people. What claim will you have after Brawl has been out in the states for a year?
If you are going to be so critical of the Kish's and myself, what are your tournament placements? What have you done that is so stellar to make yourself stand out from the crowd? Seriously.

Don't be such an elitist. Melee is a completely different game from Brawl, and organizing a single tournament does not make you the definitive source for Brawl information. Dmbrandon and his team have spent more than eighty hours analyzing each and every character in the game, so I happen to trust him and his opinions.

So, go eat a d*ck. :)

Ryan-K

Smash Master
Don't be such an elitist. Melee is a completely different game from Brawl, and organizing a single tournament does not make you the definitive source for Brawl information. Dmbrandon and his team have spent more than eighty hours analyzing each and every character in the game, so I happen to trust him and his opinions.

So, go eat a d*ck. :)
By that logic I should be more qualified for a CEO position in a company than someone who has worked there for 10 years because "it's completely different".

Also consider 10 people playing brawl for 12 hours is more than 80 hours and im assuming for some strange reason only 10 people showed up. Again "just because you play alot doesn't mean you know alot."

Nintendude

Smash Hero

I don't get why you are trying to attack some very well-respected individuals. I don't know much about MookieRah's skill, but the Kishes are really good players. Obviously they've fallen behind in the metagame over the past couple years, but I believe they used to be some of the best around, and are still great players after all of these years.

dmbrandon

Smash Master
By that logic I should be more qualified for a CEO position in a company than someone who has worked there for 10 years because "it's completely different".

Also consider 10 people playing brawl for 12 hours is more than 80 hours and im assuming for some strange reason only 10 people showed up. Again "just because you play alot doesn't mean you know alot."
I love making no sense too. Sometimes, we have parties and only talk in jibberish. You should come... I'm sure you'd fit right it.

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
I'm guessing you're having difficulty with Sonic because his priority is horrendous and he's too **** fast on the ground but much slower in the air. I've noticed with my playtime with him I tended to fare better with a hit and run strategy as opposed to aggressive combos.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
It is. Brawl is not Melee. You can be a Melee god and suck at Brawl.
You can, but that isn't the case. When I watch a Brawl vid on youtube, I can just about instantly tell if that person was good at Melee or not. Good Melee players know how to space well and have good overall strategy. I don't get why people think that Brawl is so totally different from Melee; at its core, it's still Smash Bros.

dmbrandon

Smash Master
I don't get why you are trying to attack some very well-respected individuals. I don't know much about MookieRah's skill, but the Kishes are really good players. Obviously they've fallen behind in the metagame over the past couple years, but I believe they used to be some of the best around, and are still great players after all of these years.
I agree with this. I'm not trying to damage them, and on multiple occasions, I have praised them. They're my favorite smashers.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
I love making no sense too. Sometimes, we have parties and only talk in jibberish. You should come... I'm sure you'd fit right it.
It's too bad you couldn't show up since there is a "I spout bull**** and don't know what I am talking about" party right next door and I hear they sent you an invite.

Fonz

Smash Ace
Kishsquared won FC-2 and 5! All joking aside though the Kishes have done very well in tournaments over the years, including making money for teams at MLG year after year. No need to hate =P

Fletch

Smash Master
Can we all just relax? He said this is just a "first impressions" look, no reason to flame him or say his list is stupid, he realizes it's not perfect yet, and everyone will have different impressions at first.

With that said, thanks for the info Kish, if you have another tournament I might stop by, they're right by ND correct?

sHy)(gUy

Smash Ace
im going to take a neutral position on this, mookierah deserves to say whatever he wants, hes done alot for the smash community and is incdredible with mewtwo.

whereas, dmbrandon and montage have the best brawl vids ive seen so far.

Everyone is going to have their opinions about the game.... theres no sense in arguing over whos better at this point...

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
What? This is pretty ignorant, I won a Midwest Circuit event myself which was not exactly ancient news. Three of our crew were in the Top 10 of the Midwest for pretty much the entire life of Melee. All of us won teams and singles tournaments. I got 25th at FCD this past year...is that really bad? <_<

Heh. Honestly everyone appreciates your information, but you kind of come off as a jerk the way you argue.

S2

Smash Lord
Thank for the impressions Kish.

Could you maybe update the initial post with something that tells us how big the tier gap appears to be in Brawl so far - maybe give a comparison to Melee.

Anyway, good stuff. I wonder if as the general population gets the game, we find out if one of the weaker characters is actually pretty good (like how it took a long time in Melee to discover how to use IC well).

But from other reports too, the characters you pointed out as being good seems to be on the the money.

kirborg

Smash Cadet
when you put up statements like "yoshi sucks" you better **** well have a few good reasons for that, otherwise flaming wars like these are inevitable.

personally, i don't mind so thanks for the info. as long as kirby receives some love then it's all good :)

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
I've seen a Sonic played by a guy with the tag "Ether" and he seems to make Sonic work. I'm actually following this guy's videos as a guide to what I plan to do with Sonic.
Yes, I saw a match of his and ****, his Sonic's one of the best ones I've seen, and against a really good Toon Link as well.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
when you put up statements like "yoshi sucks" you better **** well have a few good reasons for that, otherwise flaming wars like these are inevitable.

personally, i don't mind so thanks for the info. as long as kirby receives some love then it's all good :)
I fail to see why such a simple statement would cause people to get so angry. There's nothing wrong with him saying Yoshi sucks.

kirborg

Smash Cadet
I fail to see why such a simple statement would cause people to get so angry. There's nothing wrong with him saying Yoshi sucks.
Like I said, it's not the statement that matters but the words to back it up. If he put up reasonable arguements for his opinion then that's that, but throwing a character at the bottom of a list without any hint of care tends to hit a bad spot with some people.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Like I said, it's not the statement that matters but the words to back it up. If he put up reasonable arguements for his opinion then that's that, but throwing a character at the bottom of a list without any hint of care tends to hit a bad spot with some people.
Ok, but I don't even see why it should "hit a bad spot." It's not like it's a statement we can prove false. People need to learn to relax.

Sinistar

Smash Journeyman
Another thing

ZSS's Down B if used correctly can be used as a spike.
ZSS's Ledge Grab depending on where you grabbed and how far your hanging, it can stop you from being hit while trying to ledgeguard, AND, it can deprive the opponent of the ledge completely, so they cannot grab onto it.

Top Bottom