• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby's Warp Star Adventure: Kirby's Stage Discussion *Meta Knight Talk*

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Lurking the Kirby Social thread with my rock buds.
As Kirby, you probably want to counter-pick to Frigate or Rainbow. Marth uses platforms better than Kirby, but I have a stupidly annoying time vs really good Kirby's that space well and know how to get in and out. I've been underestimating Kirby for a while. I'd get rid of Battlefield, as Marth LIVES there IMO. Smashville is good to enhance your recovery options.
Yea, battlefield makes marth SSS tier. The tippered smashes, the platforms...

I just hate that stage in general. I have terrible luck there, I just randomly screw up and sd and stuff. But no juans.

*says something that contributes to discussion*

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
But no juans.
Epic Win.

I take marths to FD. Any stage with decent vertical and horizontal blast zones AND no platforms (FD only) is a good place to go to, if you want your platform-loving enemy to have less advantages... Either that, or I still take them to Battlefield, or Lylat Cruise. If you know what to watch out for, it's not that hard of a matchup (at least against the Marths you normally play).

So... For a general point, FD... Or RC (i never go there). No edges that can save him during half the stage animation if we attempt gimps.

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
So has nobody mentioned japes yet? imo I like this stage vs marth. Marth has pretty crappy horizontal recovery so he can get gimped here. And well for me at least generally marth will die at the same percent and I'll die a little bit later. Plus it seems harder for them to space fairs on the side platforms.

Personally I'd prefer japes over rainbow cruise. Good marth's don't really get gimped there and if they stay in front of you they can get a lot of damage walling you with fairs. In general I don't trust walkoff stages against characters with disjointed hitboxes anymore... :(

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Problem with Japes is A) It kind of eliminates our Gimping advantage, and B) tippered aerials, UpB, and even sometimes tilts can kill easily on the side platforms.

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
Ehh marth is pretty much going to die if he falls in the water anywhere on the left half of the stage. And usually you can keep marth off the side platforms so he's forced to use aerials. But still its not the best stage its just what I'd pick if something I wanted to go to was banned and I was in a finals set.

btw for some reason the good marths in my region hate castle siege. They usually will switch to metaknight there lol.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
So far, I find Lylat Cruise a good stage to take Marth, well to tell you the truth I Brawled Marth with Kirby almost all the time and never lost before since I'm use to this stage. I'll just say that this stage isn't too good for him, or I'll clam if nobody else agrees with me.

Lovely

Smash Lord
So far, I find Lylat Cruise a good stage to take Marth, well to tell you the truth I Brawled Marth with Kirby almost all the time and never lost before since I'm use to this stage. I'll just say that this stage isn't too good for him, or I'll clam if nobody else agrees with me.
♣ When I saw your Ness beat a good Marth main on this stage, I'm bound to believe that Lylat Cruise is one of Marth's worst stage. >.< ♥

♣ I guess it's hard to get tippers in this stage, and you can end up under the stage sometimes when you use Up B. ♥

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
That's true.

I don't know what to think about Lylat TBH. The main platform's tilting mess up Marths, but the platforms are at an ideal height for them.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I always take everyone to Lylat Cruise if I'm counterpicking and they haven't gotten used to my game. Otherwise, I take em to either the neutrals, or Jungle Japes (ISN'T THAT RIGHT SHEIKANT!!!). Whenever I encounter Marths and it's my turn to pick a stage, I just go to FD or wherever "Random" takes me.

I dunno... Counterpicking isn't a big part of my game.

~Shao~

Smash Ace
Anyone try to take Marth to Halberd?
I think Halberd would benefit Marth more than Kirby, 'cause closer side blastzones help both, but lower ceiling is better for him, as he has u-tilt, u-smash, u-air, tipped d-smash as vertical finishers, and we have none. There's also a platform that he can use to his advantage better that us.

But there's one thing I like about Halberd. Low ceiling+platform=u-throw kills ;D

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I think Halberd would benefit Marth more than Kirby, 'cause closer side blastzones help both, but lower ceiling is better for him, as he has u-tilt, u-smash, u-air, tipped d-smash as vertical finishers, and we have none. There's also a platform that he can use to his advantage better that us.

But there's one thing I like about Halberd. Low ceiling+platform=u-throw kills ;D
Also, a well spaced UpB through the stage has near no lag, he can spike us if we try to go through the stage, he can ledgehop Fair through the stage, etc.

I always take everyone to Lylat Cruise if I'm counterpicking and they haven't gotten used to my game. Otherwise, I take em to either the neutrals, or Jungle Japes (ISN'T THAT RIGHT SHEIKANT!!!). Whenever I encounter Marths and it's my turn to pick a stage, I just go to FD or wherever "Random" takes me.

I dunno... Counterpicking isn't a big part of my game.
You should probably try to make it a part of your game. For the most part, I go PS1 since no one knows how much **** Kirby ***** there, or LM since I'm a closet Diddy player now, but otherwise, it depends on the character. I know where a lot of characters do well, and I try to make sure not to take them onto any such stage. Threads like this always help to that extent.

CPing can sometimes save you and earn you the set. Abuse that fact.

Allied

Smash Master
Pretty much on the neutral stage battle with marth

i try to take them to smashville or lylat preferably lylat.

When its my turn to counterpick i can either go lylat, jungle japes, rainbow cruise or some others

i ban battlefield + halberd

§leepy God

Smash Master
Lylat >>>>> Smashville on Marth. Try not to take Marth into any cramped stages or it will be bad for Kirby, Yoshi's Island is one of those stages.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I like taking Marthas to Halberd, it usually works pretty well.
Are you sure? I heard was an alright stage to take him, but just advantage on two parts of the stage. But then again, the sky part of this stage is good for Kirby. I don't take Marth here ever so I'll try soon.

Lovely

Smash Lord
Are you sure? I heard was an alright stage to take him, but just advantage on two parts of the stage. But then again, the sky part of this stage is good for Kirby. I don't take Marth here ever so I'll try soon.
♣ I'll say it's bad because of the platforms in Halberd is great for Marth's Smash attacks because how low it is, and that platform is always at the center of the stage which makes it difficult to use this stage properly with Kirby VS Marth unless your real good with the stage. ♥

RoflWafflez

Smash Apprentice
Yea, i guess ive been there so many times and ive gotten so experienced with attacking from thru the platforms and under the main stage itself that its actually advantageous to me.
The only problems that i could really mention from playing Marths at Halberd are the occasional early kills from a u-smash or u-tilt, cuz of the low ceiling, but those barely happen, i can usually maneuver my way to dodge/not get hit by those ind of moves. It's an acquired feeling, really.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
It's an acquired feeling, really.
Lol I believe you wholeheartedly... After lots of time playing against a character, you get this feeling in your gut that tells you when to airdodge when you're falling to the stage, or when to shield when you're running towards them. Happens to me all the time! (doesn't always work, though, if they see a pattern)

I'm still pulling for lylat. His linear recovery can be used against him if you edgehog him, preventing him from sweetspotting the ledge, probably ending in him stuck under the stage and falling to his doom. Plus, the tippered attacks on the platforms can be evaded: just don't stand on the ones on top of him. ;)

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
It's an acquired feeling, really.
This has nothing to do with Marth, but careful about acquired feelings.

I've played against MK so much I have acquired feelings about what they'll do and when. Then, one day, I ran into a couple who knew what those 'acquired feelings' should be, and don't obey their gut feeling, and instead of say, shuttle looping, wait for an airdodge and punish with Nair.

Same principle.

RoflWafflez

Smash Apprentice
True, the acquired feeling against a character might not always work, but im saying i have this acquired feeling with the stage of Halberd. I am very confortable on the stage, and fighting and traversing the platforms and scenery changes are very easy for me. I find that most, if not all the Marths i have played have trouble keeping up with me going around that stage, and i gimp/kill them very easily with aerial combos.

Yeah, players can always atray from the norm, but i can always count on the stage never changing its feel =)

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I think we basically covered most of the Marth stage talk, I'm switching characters tomorrow. I can take request before we talk about another character.

Percon

Smash Lord
Yes I am late

But I like taking marth to FD since it's waaaay easier to punish upBs, plus I find it easier to edgeguard him there.

Lylat is bad vs Marth, IMO. The platforms help him too much.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Yes I am late

But I like taking marth to FD since it's waaaay easier to punish upBs, plus I find it easier to edgeguard him there.

Lylat is bad vs Marth, IMO. The platforms help him too much.
Good thing you told me before I moved on. I haven't thought about the platforms helping him, I thought because the stage tilted, it would throw him off.

Also as the request stands:

Falco: 1
Ice Climbers: 1
Meta Knight: 1

Who's going to break that tie?

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Good thing you told me before I moved on. I haven't thought about the platforms helping him, I thought because the stage tilted, it would throw him off.

Also as the request stands:

Falco: 1
Ice Climbers: 1
Meta Knight: 1

Who's going to break that tie?
Didn't like 5 other people mention the platforms (myself included)?

Also, MK is weird... he's good on every stage you're good on. Just pick one he's not **** good on and that you personally are good at (for me it's PS1, PTAD, and Pictochat.).

I suggest we do one of the other two.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Port Town Aero Drive and I see what you mean now fromundaman. Someone break the tiez. D=

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
MK. I'd like to see everyone's stage choices when faced with the best character in the game.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Sorry Kewkky, fromundaman beat you to it.

Character Talk #3 Ice Climbers

Counter Pick Against: ?

Stage Strike: ?

Banned: ?

Pick a flat stage, and Ice Climbers will love touch Kirby with their ice cold chain grabbing hands. D=

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Rainbow Cruise, Brinstar, Norfair... Any stage with a hazard is good.

Also Japes is not a bad idea IMO. A high ceiling means they can't cg>usmash you as effectively as any other stages.

I still find myself picking out Battlefield and Lylat Cruise against them, though...

RoflWafflez

Smash Apprentice
i love Japes for IC's. they can't do crap, and if they wanna do an Up-B, the point where Popo is lower cuz of the long string, he's in the water, and Klaptraps always **** them in and out. Also, high ceiling is good for life. ^_^

MOVING ON TO MK NAO lolol

Percon

Smash Lord
Stage Strike: Try to get BF, most hate Yoshi's/Lylat 'cuz it screws their CGs

Bring to: Brinstar or norfair. I like brinstar... most/all ICs switch out when brought there.

Ban: Dunno, final isn't actually _that_ bad vs them.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Hmmm... I saw Lain's ICs do pretty good on Brinstar vs Judge at MWC: The Competition, so I'm kind of skeptical on that one. Sure, lava ****s with them, but the platforms are all flat, allowing CGs, the sides are closer, allowing easier kills/less CG needed, and desynched Blizzard ***** since the ice breath stays out longer due to all the stage objects. Also, Nana doesn't die as easily since lava often saves her.

In general though, assuming you aren't facing Lain, stages with hazards and/or transformations are good against them, whereas flat stages are not.
For neutrals, I'd suggest Lylat, YI (B), or, if allowed, PS1 or Delfino.

For CPs, apparently you guys say Japes is good, I don't know. I'd think PTAD is good, but I tend to always think that and get proven wrong by AZ. Also, Norfair is good.

Percon

Smash Lord
Hmmm... I saw Lain's ICs do pretty good on Brinstar vs Judge at MWC: The Competition, so I'm kind of skeptical on that one. Sure, lava ****s with them, but the platforms are all flat, allowing CGs, the sides are closer, allowing easier kills/less CG needed, and desynched Blizzard ***** since the ice breath stays out longer due to all the stage objects. Also, Nana doesn't die as easily since lava often saves her.

In general though, assuming you aren't facing Lain, stages with hazards and/or transformations are good against them, whereas flat stages are not.
For neutrals, I'd suggest Lylat, YI (B), or, if allowed, PS1 or Delfino.

For CPs, apparently you guys say Japes is good, I don't know. I'd think PTAD is good, but I tend to always think that and get proven wrong by AZ. Also, Norfair is good.
Yeah, but the main ground isn't flat so that helps. Plus Nana gets seperated way more easily because of the lava.

I brought Lain there and he switched to MK, and I beat him. However, if he went Ice Climbers I probably would have lost. I still think the stage is bad for them, but Lain is just too good...

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Yeah, but the main ground isn't flat so that helps. Plus Nana gets seperated way more easily because of the lava.

I brought Lain there and he switched to MK, and I beat him. However, if he went Ice Climbers I probably would have lost. I still think the stage is bad for them, but Lain is just too good...
This man speaks truth.

However, here's the Grand finals match between Lain and Judge: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/1552585

Skip to about 27 minutes into it to get the Brinstar game, and both watch and listen to the commentary. I believe it's Samurai Panda speaking, and he does a good job stating the pros and cons of ICs on that stage.
That being said, I think you're right about Lain just being too good.

Brinstar can be a good stage to bring them (probably one of the places I would personally bring them in fact), but I urge people in this thread to listen to the pros and cons he presents and decide accordingly.

Top Bottom