• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby's Warp Star Adventure: Kirby's Stage Discussion *Meta Knight Talk*

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Lurking the Kirby Social thread with my rock buds.
This is personally my favorite of the 4 guaranteed neutrals. Stone slides on the tilting platform, stone slides on the edge of the stage...I feel like Viper on this, but for battlefield. Something bad ALWAYS happens to me on bf...whether it be a reverse fc sd, a cutter-going-onto-ledge sd, or the rare cutter-gong-onto-ledge-and-shielding-opponent-gets-knocked-off-and-edgehogs-me sd. That doesn't seem to happen to me here...iunno, I just like this stage. I'd give it a 4.

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
I love this stage, if for nothing else than to hear baby Yoshis singing. The platform can provide cover if you are under the tilt, cancel cutters at strange angles and times, allow for stone slides, you name it. The stage has close side blast-zones and a relatively high ceiling, perfect for our KO options and helpful for our survivability. The slants in the floor can be helpful for ducking under projectiles, though they can screw up the timing for SH fairs if you aren't paying attention. If you can control the area under the platform, this stage is awesome. The only real downside I've experienced is the inability to star-shoot opponents under the stage. There may be better stages for Kirby overall, but I'd much rather be here than any other guaranteed neutral. My opinion is 3.5 to 4*s.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
This stage is fun.

...umm...I dunno, just play smart here and you can win?

It can be annoying if your opponent is under the platform, but that's the same anywhere. If they're above the platform, it's usually easy for me to combo them. Stone slides are good if your opponent will fall for it (fewer and fewer of my opponents fall for it) but if they won't fall for it, and you can tell, you can usually avoid punishment by canceling it in time.

The slants on the end are quite useful. Duck and you're nearly untouchable if your opponent's on the stage. Final Cutter shockwave angles can be fun. Grounded Stone to edgeguard.

Something about Inhaling, walking off and footstooling. I forgot if it you're supposed to face the stage or face away from the stage, but if it works then I'm going to try to get this stage as my neutral every time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoY9OiX6l84 fun times

Lovely

Smash Lord
♣ This stage is awful to fight Marth and Mr. Game and Watch on. D: ♥

♣ I'll give this a regular three star for some reasons. ♥

Lovely

Smash Lord
♣ Point taken. I won't understand why a Marth main would hate this stage since they can comeback from death most of the time. Every time I face Marth with Kirby on this stage I have trouble on this stage, I guess it might be just me. ♥

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
The sides of the stage are detrimental to Marth and MK's upB moves stage spiking, so that would make Yoshi's Island good against them, I'd assume.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I'll give this stage two more days since this stage is the second from last stage on the legal tourney pick stage. Also, should I start on ban stages or just finish the description, (that has yet to be done), of all the stages we've done so far?

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Looking at some say three and some say four, I'll give this stage a no change. We are on our last stage even though it's in a counter ban stage. Next stage:

27th Stage: Yoshi's Island (Melee)

Currently ★★

Oh joy, other Yoshi's Island that I hate, and this on is even worst to deal with than the one on Brawl. the little space area is easy to die here and the this stage only has two all very small fall zones in here which makes things harder to air combo anything in this cramped stage. Well, discuss.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Ehhh I still think Kirby is good enough to adapt

honestly I'd still give him a 4-stars here

he can fly around the blocks and stuff

and with close blast zones on the sides he can bair/fsmash kill at very low damage

Ladybug

Smash Lord
It allows for really easy kills for both players. I actually like this stage because of the aggressive game play you do have to do. It's hard to camp because there is so many obstacles in the way and there are really no edges to guard. Plus there are always the low blast areas on the left.

It doesn't offer a lot of free range to do certain attacks. There's only one section you can spike and it's very near the edge, so one wrong move and you're the dead one, not your opponent. It does give you the opportunity to tech a lot though. I've lived past 220 on this stage before thanks to bouncing around like a pinball. But because of the little space, a well placed hit can kill you very easily.

I still like it though.

link64e

Smash Apprentice
Meh, I'd give the stage 2 stars as well. There are so many places to get caught and comboed with. Especially the pipe underneath the ? blocks.

I've have yet to see anyone counterpick this stage. Personally, I didn't even know this stage was legal till this post. :dizzy:

Lovely

Smash Lord
♣ I'll give this stage a three and a half. Kirby's a small character and won't be effected by the stage much, big characters or tall can't move too well on this stage. ♥

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Is this stage ★★★★ or ★★★☆ worthy? Huh, I'll try this stage out more, I'll end Yoshi's Island (Melee) discussion at the end of April.

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
Yeah, I hate Brinstar for one reason: DK.

That is all.

DK's my other main, So I guess I don't really have that problem. :laugh:

I didn't realize you could stone through the spinning blocks. I could see that alone bringing it up to at least 3*s. I still don't think any higher than that, though. The only way to get even half decent survivability on this stage would be to camp in the middle of the stage. The blast-zones feel way to close for my comfort anywhere else (not as bad as other stages, but still). I also don't like that there isn't much (if any) gimping to occur on this stage. The closest thing to a gimp location is the center blocks, but if I'm anywhere near them, I die. Every time. :(

That being said, I see this as a good place to take "gimp" characters. The blast-zones may be close, but they aren't close enough for characters without decent finishers. I'm gonna go with 3 *s.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Honestly, this is another stage where a lot of other characters do better than us, not to mention if someone is good at teching, they could pretty much survive all of our kill moves. Now add to that close blastzones and no gimping opportunities, and I'd rate this no higher than 2 star.
When CPed here, I always pick a secondary.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I'll give this stage a ★★☆, I can see too many other characters being better than us on Yoshi's Island Melee.

Alright, now we need somthing new to talk about. I'm thinking character counter pick next before stage strategies. What do you guys think?

Lovely

Smash Lord
♣ I'll say Character counter pick first, you'll have to do stage strategies by yourself. ♥

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I'll take Lovely's word for it, I'll start character stage discussion soon.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I've been slacking on my duties lately and I apologize. I'll start the character talk right now, first we will start on:

Character Talk #1 Mr. Game & Watch

Counter Pick Against: ?

Stage Strike: ?

Banned: ?

This is how we are going to get started, when I post a character, I want you to say what legal stages to starter pick or counter pick against them, and what stages to avoid going to or to stage strike first. First we will start with Mr. Game & Watch.

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
He's good at RC too, probably just as good as Kirby with his broken usmash. I'd I go Japes and DI everything up. Fsmash and aerial hammer all day.

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
All of the SBR neutral stages have vertical blastzone heights within 1% of variation of each other. Basically, they're identical.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Take him to Japes if you can. Or Pictochat because it's sexy. Ban Rainbow Cruise or Halberd.
neutrals don't really matter, personal preference mostly.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
You have to banned on of Kirby's ace stage on Mr. Game & Watch?!? I see, or I shall see. So far I think we should stage strike Yoshi's Island and add Pokémon Stadium as a counter pick.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I disagree. While it won't make a HUGE different, when it comes to neutrals, you should bring G&W to Lylat, FD, or YI I'd think. The first two because, while it's rare, the stage can **** with G&W's reovery, and YI just because stone slides are both unexpected and make a god edgeguarding technique vs G&W.

Also, BF is a bad choice, because that key is very good at hitting through platforms.

As for a CP, I'd say Japes or Pictochat as well, though G&W isn't half bad on Japes either... (no clue how he does on Pictochat.)

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Huh, I thought Yoshi's Island was a bad stage to take Mr. Game & Watch. I'll try it next time I Brawl him. Since this is a character talk, I'll make each character last for at least two weeks or 8-10 days.

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Lurking the Kirby Social thread with my rock buds.
strike battlefield :/

cp brinstar...well, for battlefield, asidoh:

Amazing Amphoros said:
Ducking in general is one of the most underrated movement options, and just because most people don't do it (and they don't) doesn't mean it's not good (it is). Just moving lets Mr. Game & Watch do it safely; ducking lets you punish him!

Just for fun, here's the list of characters Mr. Game & Watch can key through the platform. A * will indicate those who can't duck under it.

Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser*
Donkey Kong
Yoshi
Link
Zelda
Sheik
Ganondorf*
Samus*
Zero Suit Samus
Pit
R.O.B.
King Dedede*
Fox
Falco
Captain Falcon
Charizard
Lucario
Marth
Ike
Snake
Sonic

Can't key through platform list (in general):

Diddy Kong
Wario (except during one of his idle animations in which he extends his hitbox up)
Toon Link
Ice Climbers
Kirby
Meta Knight <--------duh
Olimar
Wolf (you can snag him during his frequent idle animations)
Pikachu
Squirtle
Ivysaur
Jigglypuff
Ness
Lucas
Mr. Game & Watch
dthrow on platforms=get rapped.

BAD stage to take g&w to.

G&W's rating: 6/10

FD: just the lip is bad, rated 4/10.

Smashville: edguarding is trick b/c of short stage, good length for G&W, rated 6/10.

YI(B): tilting platform interferes with bair/dair/nair, is too long to techchase on, dtilt is good at edguarding, tilted sides allow for ledgehop fair/nair ****.
w/e said:
With G&W and only G&W, you can tap up on the right ledge and not lose a jump (tap jump off). This is huge! tap up, nair, falling nair, jump, nair, up-b. Of course there are many mixups that come with that. It also makes quick fair kills from the ledge a lot easier.
<------too lazy to see what that means
rated 4/10, best neutral to pick(?)

Halberd: no need to say anything, 7/10. Great idea picked up from thread: tell the g&w he can bucket the laser and laugh your *** off when he tries.

Lylat: small platforms=get rapped. G&W can nair us through the edge if we're standing near it, rated 5/10. HOWEVER, he is Ninja Spikable, which can be slightly more versatile if you master that dash->backwards pivot grab thing (look at one of the newest threads in the kirby boards, by RK Joker).

Norfair: Even worse than halberd, 8/10. DON'T GO THERE.

Pirate Ship: see Norfair. Also, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTkjItgz5c0&fmt=18. 7/10.

Bleh just go here for more stage stuff, I'm getting lazy and there's food ready.

Brinstar: Surprisingly only rated 4/10. Possible cp? "nothing to help G&W in particular" LULZ, dairing bridge=dair staling and probable death.

Shuzaku

Smash Apprentice
take him to a stage with small walls, don't give him the chance to bucket brake.

i like all the neutrals against GW except Battlefield. i play UTDzac alot and from experience i dont take him to greens greens nor pipes. though that could be a personal preference for him.

in the past i've counter picked pictochat.....and i think that's it. i do fairly well against zac, though i haven't gone against him in tournament recently.

Top Bottom