• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby's "I forgot the old thread title" - Kirby Video Thread

WootSnorlax

Smash Apprentice
So I just finished making my small little highlight video before we get the update that will get rid of our replays. Many of you probably haven't seen my gameplay in an actual match, but just to remind you that this is just a highlight video. Gameplay in a set is way different!

EDIT: I fixed the ghosting issue I was getting since it bothered me and reuploaded the video.

https://youtu.be/yEtpPcxwgbw

Last edited:

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Haha that was good :D
Masterful use of Stone

I've been thinking of maybe recording a bunch of clips from the Kirbys here and making a highlight video, but I'm being a bit lazy, and it would probably end up looking like what you already just made anyway!

WootSnorlax

Smash Apprentice
Haha that was good :D
Masterful use of Stone

I've been thinking of maybe recording a bunch of clips from the Kirbys here and making a highlight video, but I'm being a bit lazy, and it would probably end up looking like what you already just made anyway!
Thanks! That means a lot coming from you. I think making a smashboards kirby compilation might not be a bad idea still though.

kirbyfan66

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kirbyfan66
Sorry that this has to be on Twitch only, but: http://www.twitch.tv/salty_joystiq/b/649267711

The very start is me vs. Yoshi (did poorly, sorry. Also the stream was lagging pretty badly, it seems).
At 9:09 I play against Parcheesy's Rosalina.
At 51:58 I play against a Ness - we're good buddies and I play her a lot. Hence why we went to Gamer for Game 2. She knows my Kirby well.
At 1:13:52, after some pause shenanigans, I got a rematch with Parcheesy's Rosalina in Losers. Very close!
At 1:29:10 I played against a Greninja. Another close pal. Except he counterpicked Diddy. D_D (Still won)
And then Grand Finals! 1:41:49. He picked Little Mac, which is bad because Wave Cutter! Yay! Then he went Diddy past that. Lots of close games. DSR was not a thing because it was Grand Finals.

Compliment and critique where needed, please! Thanks in advance!

Gova

I'm goin' for it!
NNID
Takicodos
Compliment and critique where needed, please! Thanks in advance!
I only watched Grand Finals but... you should stop using down throw in my opinion, in the second game you used it like four times. You missed out on at least 8% if you had used forward or back throw instead, which can be the difference between a kill or not. Also, learn monkey flip's range, you got punished a lot because you thought he was gonna go through you, so you turn around grabbed and whiffed. And when he did go through you, you couldn't punish because he was too far away and whiffed grabs as a result.

Also, I don't know if stale moves is a thing in this game or not, but if your strategy was to CP to Delfino for U-throw kills, don't use it until your opponent is actually at kill percents for it. The other throws put you in a better spot for potential reads.

kirbyfan66

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kirbyfan66
I only watched Grand Finals but... you should stop using down throw in my opinion, in the second game you used it like four times. You missed out on at least 8% if you had used forward or back throw instead, which can be the difference between a kill or not. Also, learn monkey flip's range, you got punished a lot because you thought he was gonna go through you, so you turn around grabbed and whiffed. And when he did go through you, you couldn't punish because he was too far away and whiffed grabs as a result.

Also, I don't know if stale moves is a thing in this game or not, but if your strategy was to CP to Delfino for U-throw kills, don't use it until your opponent is actually at kill percents for it. The other throws put you in a better spot for potential reads.
I didn't pick Delfino for the Up Throw kills, since Delfino doesn't always have a low ceiling. It's very specific and weird. The rest is well noted, though. I know I need to stop with the Down Throw, I just... don't. Thank you!

Ansou

Smash Ace
NNID
Ansoulom
3DS FC
4897-5959-9210
I didn't pick Delfino for the Up Throw kills, since Delfino doesn't always have a low ceiling. It's very specific and weird. The rest is well noted, though. I know I need to stop with the Down Throw, I just... don't. Thank you!
It's okay, you may now go back to using down throws!

Matty89

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Hydra89
This is where you can post any videos of Kirby in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS. Everyone is welcome to post videos for showcasing new finds, getting critique, etc. so there's no need to hesitate. Anybody is free to critique and comment on posted videos as long as it is respectful and constructive criticism.

WHEN POSTING VIDEOS, DO NOT POST THEM AS AN EMBEDDED VIDEO. The reasoning behind this rule is to minimize potential lag some users may experience while viewing this thread.
Check out my videos! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mz2YFB6o5QA

chaosmasterro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
chaosmasterro
Here's a local match at my school with customs on with my Kirby running a 3333 set vs a custom Palutena. A pretty fun match up, but her lightweight set ups are deadly.

Customs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sJf0tMgFmw Pika/Kirby vs Palutena
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rv9fKE6pUYE Pika/Kirby vs Little Mac and Shiek.

This is my first time posting my videos on here. :D
Also does anyone mind critiquing my play style and what I need to improve on.

Last edited:

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I lost badly in tournament on Saturday. 33 entrants, I lost my first and second set, first time I've had that happen to me in forever. The tournament was more stacked than usual, but still... I should do better. I won game 1 against a Sheik, then he switched to Pikachu and won the next 2 games. I then lost to the Link player I've always beaten until then. I also moneymatched a good Wario, best of 5, and won game 1&2, then lost the next 3. Also lost a moneymatch to a Falcon, which I think I could have won if I played "lamer" and abused crouching more. Same thing with a moneymatch against a ZSS, although I don't think abusing crouch would help me beat the ZSS, because he's consistently been getting first lately, and she seems much more dangerous than Falcon. Then on Sunday, I played at the same place, in a free 13 person tournament. I got 3rd, beating the Link player 2-0 this time, so I think I've got that matchup under control, I just need to play smarter. I lost to a good Luigi, and a good Ness 0-3 in Loser's finals.

The thing is, the Ness and Pikachu that beat me don't even own a Wiiu. They've played Smash 4 far less than I have. Admittedly, their characters are clearly much better than Kirby, and these players were known for being very good in previous Smash games, but still, I should be able to do better. Getting my opponent to mid/high percent, last stock, isn't good enough because that's not a win. That happened to me constantly this weekend. Even if the games themselves were pretty close, it doesn't change the fact that you lost 0-3 or whatever.

So anyway, none of this was streamed, but I managed to save almost every single replay of significant matches on my WiiU this time around, so I have a lot more to study. I could record some of them with my phone, but the quality obviously drops, and they're annoying to record! So I can send replays to anyone that wants to watch, thanks to the recent patch! Add my NNID if we're not friends and you're interested.
@ t!MmY t!MmY @ MikeKirby MikeKirby @Triple R if any of you guys wanna watch and give serious critique, I think I need it.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Sure, I guess I'll send the ness and pikachu ones? I can easily figure out what I did wrong in the others, but these seem like tough matchups no matter what. I was sometimes so focused on avoiding ness' grab that I forgot to watch out for the insanely strong and fast upair :x

I won't be home til tonight so I'll send some then

Last edited:

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
@ t!MmY t!MmY @ MikeKirby MikeKirby @Triple R if any of you guys wanna watch and give serious critique, I think I need it.
I'd do that for you. I don't have home internet access, but feel free to send the replays. I may have time to access them on Wednesdays when I go to the local weeklies (where I'll have both internet and my Wii U).

Dessa

Smash Journeyman
As much as I'm into this love-fest, those of us out here in the peanut gallery would appreciate it forever if someone would post said replays to this thread.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Replays of me getting bopped? I would if I had a capture device. You can add me on WiiU if you have one and I can send them to you, otherwise there's not much I can do heh.
I'm glad they implemented this option in this patch though!

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
Asdioh!! That first video... >.< You fished pretty hard for the grab at zero. I can understand, though, it feels really satisfying to hit, but you got around 30% tacked on you for it. Also, I know Kirby's d-throw got a buff on it but if you can get positional advantage/stage control by doing f-throw/b-throw go for it! When Ness d-throws you at zero try DI-ing into him to throw off his followups. Most Nesses will always leap hard forward and f-air. You can lessen or avoid your punish by mixing up your DI like this. When recovering offstage play it a little safer and patient, especially with Upper Cutter. Space yourself to hit with the disjointed blade at a moments notice and teach them that if they jump off stage that Upper Cutter is a move to not be reckoned with. I would have liked to see more jabs. Especially, if the opponent gets eerily close during rolls or if you miss/whiff a move because the move is a quick GTFO move as long as you react to a hit on shield. Which at that point, go for a jab cancel and grab. Also, u-tilt! There's no reason not use it if an opponent is directly above you. U-tilt's properties are extraordinary! I'm not sure if you know this but Kirby's u-tilt has sword properties. It's literally a mini version of Marth's u-tilt and who in there right mind would challenge a sword while trying to land?? Unless the opponent throws out a really big disjointed move, Kirby's u-tilt will eat 'em up! In general, I felt like your footsie game was off and you lost stage control and neutral by dashing grabbing and whiffing. The second stock you seemed pretty flustered and it looked like you were trying to stop a runaway train. It was heartbreaking. </3

Last edited:

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Matches were being captured at the tournament I went to last weekend and while there was no internet available at the venue for streaming the host has uploaded the captured videos to his YouTube channel. (all thanks can be directed @Jaxas for the awesome TOing and video capture).

I went all Kirby/Meta Knight at this tournament.
Here are the Kirby videos that got recorded:

:4kirby: vs :4tlink:/:4jigglypuff:
Bombchu Link (Toon Link, Jigglypuff) vs t1mmy (Kirby)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIulOJMR9JM

:4kirby: vs :rosalina:
9Tales (Rosalina & Luma) vs t1mmy (Kirby)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhT4Jh-aznY

:4kirby: vs :4zss:
t1mmy (Kirby) vs Jaxas (Sheik, Zero Suit Samus)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42AV35mBugA

Last edited:

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
Matches were being captured at the tournament I went to last weekend and while there was no internet available at the venue for streaming the host has uploaded the captured videos to his YouTube channel. (all thanks can be directed @Jaxas for the awesome TOing and video capture).

I went all Kirby/Meta Knight at this tournament.
Here are the Kirby videos that got recorded:

:4kirby: vs :4tlink:/:4jigglypuff:
Bombchu Link (Toon Link, Jigglypuff) vs t1mmy (Kirby)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIulOJMR9JM

:4kirby: vs :rosalina:
9Tales (Rosalina & Luma) vs t1mmy (Kirby)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhT4Jh-aznY

:4kirby: vs :4zss:
t1mmy (Kirby) vs Jaxas (Sheik, Zero Suit Samus)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42AV35mBugA
Wonderful. I guess you are a man of your word - Living Proof that Non Custom Kirby can still hang with the big boys even in a Custom Tournament. I have few questions...

I thought Dair is unsafe yet you throw it out as if you are facing For Glory's opponents. Is there something I was missing?

Is Final Cutter really effective against Rosalina & Luma? I assume you use it to damage luma or perhaps knock it away. I am surprised 9Tales didn't try to Absorb it or something. Unless he switched his Down B.

Okay... what the heck happen on 4:00 vs Jaxas ZSS? I know you are not using Customs. I don't believe Hammer Bash has super armor if you did. Does a normal Hammer Flip swing have super armor or it is because you are T1mmy and it just work?

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Video of what happened is up.

This match looks pretty boring because I didn't have Games 1&2 saved, which explains why the match started like this.
I 2-stocked him on Game 1. He became patient and not wanting to go in at all on Game 2.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Okay... what the heck happen on 4:00 vs Jaxas ZSS? I know you are not using Customs. I don't believe Hammer Bash has super armor if you did. Does a normal Hammer Flip swing have super armor or it is because you are T1mmy and it just work?
I'm assuming the ZSS stun stuff follows similar rules as grabs, so you can't just permastun someone. Looks like he made a mistake using Dsmash and paid for it with his stock!

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
I'm assuming the ZSS stun stuff follows similar rules as grabs, so you can't just permastun someone. Looks like he made a mistake using Dsmash and paid for it with his stock!
Hmm... I initially came this conclusion as well, however, Pikachu Custom Infinite and Jaxas "stalling" (like "What the heck just happen") make me think otherwise. Maybe the Stun rule only applies to ZSS and Sakurai didn't think Pikachu/Sheik can permanently stun the character.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I thought Dair is unsafe yet you throw it out as if you are facing For Glory's opponents. Is there something I was missing?

Is Final Cutter really effective against Rosalina & Luma? I assume you use it to damage luma or perhaps knock it away. I am surprised 9Tales didn't try to Absorb it or something. Unless he switched his Down B.

I'm guessing I used D-air a good amount since you've mentioned. I'd say it's just my play style. I'm not sure where it comes from (remnants of N64 Kirby?); I'll have to review the videos to see where it was useful and where it was not useful.

Final Cutter is useful against Rosalina in some situations. R&L can use Gravity Pull on it, but not many opponents seem to and I don't know why. It might be because it's taking them by surprise, it might be because they don't think it's worth it, or it might be because they don't know they can Gravity Pull it. Either way the Cutter shot, when spaced properly against Luma (not necessarily against Rosalina herself), is useful to throw at Rosalina. It keeps her from dashing in with her usual tactics, tends to put her on defensive, and is useful for dealing with Luma. I've been using this tactic on Rosalina from the start and it is still useful today. I've been wanting to play against Bladewise (considered the best Rosalina in the NW) to help solidify my thoughts on the match-up, He's the only Rosalina player I have yet to play.

As far as I know with the ZSS stun, it doesn't 'multi-stun'. It didn't in Brawl, and I wouldn't expect it to in Smash 4. I don't play ZSS in Smash 4, so I don't profess to know much more than that.

And... I thought Hammer Flip has Super Armor (or what is called 'Invincibility' in the Sakurai Tips). But that's only when it's fully charged, so either way it wouldn't have been taken into account.

Charizard dying at 4% from Kirby's Dash Attack: https://www.facebook.com/daniel.rundstrom.9/videos/10205879637457564/
Has anyone had this happened?
I haven't had this happen with Kirby's Dash Attack, but I've had it happen to my opponent twice with various attacks/characters. The first time was with Pit and I KO'd my opponent at something like 77% with Side Special (original 3DS version) and he said the Upperdash Arm was OP... though I told him it doesn't really KO at that percent. Then the next game right after that, I KO'd him with the Upperdash Arm at 44% and we knew something weird was happening.

The next time I think this happened was when I used Robin's standard attack (rapid wind attack) and KO'd Sheik at something like 80%. I know Robin's Jab can be pretty strong, but it shouldn't be KOing at that low of percent and it reminded me of what happened with Pit. I think this one actually was on stream from last Wednesday, so it should be available to be reviewed.

Last edited:

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
I'm guessing I used D-air a good amount since you've mentioned. I'd say it's just my play style. I'm not sure where it comes from (remnants of N64 Kirby?); I'll have to review the videos to see where it was useful and where it was not useful.

Final Cutter is useful against Rosalina in some situations. R&L can use Gravity Pull on it, but not many opponents seem to and I don't know why. It might be because it's taking them by surprise, it might be because they don't think it's worth it, or it might be because they don't know they can Gravity Pull it. Either way the Cutter shot, when spaced properly against Luma (not necessarily against Rosalina herself), is useful to throw at Rosalina. It keeps her from dashing in with her usual tactics, tends to put her on defensive, and is useful for dealing with Luma. I've been using this tactic on Rosalina from the start and it is still useful today. I've been wanting to play against Bladewise (considered the best Rosalina in the NW) to help solidify my thoughts on the match-up, He's the only Rosalina player I have yet to play.

As far as I know with the ZSS stun, it doesn't 'multi-stun'. It didn't in Brawl, and I wouldn't expect it to in Smash 4. I don't play ZSS in Smash 4, so I don't profess to know much more than that.

And... I thought Hammer Flip has Super Armor (or what is called 'Invincibility' in the Sakurai Tips). But that's only when it's fully charged, so either way it wouldn't have been taken into account.
Yeah, now that I think about it. It is your playstyle. If it works, it works right? You tend to adapt immediately when the opponent catches on.

Hmm... I see. I might want to test Final Cutter against R&L.

After testing it in Training Mode. I see what you mean. So @ Asdioh Asdioh was correct. Jaxas messed up. Jaxas should have done Up B.

No way... Equipment had to be involved in that! There's no timer, so it can't be For Glory.
Agreed!

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
No way... Equipment had to be involved in that! There's no timer, so it can't be For Glory.
The first thing I think of in that regard is the Critical Hit equipment. I'm not too sure if it would make Kirby's Dash Attack into a veritable OHKO, but it might be possible.

Also, I found a video of a Kirby player at a Custom Fighters tournament:
http://www.twitch.tv/62bitgaming/c/6616734

Looks like Custom Fighters is working out about how @fromundaman was saying.

pnoid

Smash Cadet
Wonderful. I guess you are a man of your word - Living Proof that Non Custom Kirby can still hang with the big boys even in a Custom Tournament. I have few questions...

So as for the Dairs, i watched the rosalina set and enumerated all the options where t!MmY did a dair

in front of opponent: x3 (punished x2) (landed behind and jabbed, anticipating landing in front and getting grabbed x1)
opponent on ground facing away from kirby: x2
defensive recovery: x1
cover opponents roll option: x1
both people the air in the air:x2 (used as a spacing tool x1, hit opponent the other time, took advantage of landing lag)
edge guard: used as bait for a dsmash x1

Hope this contributes to the conversation, looks like the adaptation made by t!MmY was to top approaching from the front with dair, as it just got shielded and grabbed on both occasions.

Last edited:
Top Bottom