• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby's "I forgot the old thread title" - Kirby Video Thread

FranktheKirby

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3823-8756-2059
Hello folks. I'm pretty new to the Smash Board forums, but I have been playing Smash Bros since it came out on the N64. Anyways, I thought it would be nice to show off my Kirby a little bit and contribute to the competitive community. I'll be uploading a video to YouTube in a bit showing some of my techniques utilizing Kirby's dair and the combos that can come from it.

(Holy crap the video is shaky as poo, lol. Whoops.)

EDIT: Here is my practice competitive match VS a friend's Pikachu.

Last edited:

Ansou

Smash Ace
NNID
Ansoulom
3DS FC
4897-5959-9210
Hello folks. I'm pretty new to the Smash Board forums, but I have been playing Smash Bros since it came out on the N64. Anyways, I thought it would be nice to show off my Kirby a little bit and contribute to the competitive community. I'll be uploading a video to YouTube in a bit showing some of my techniques utilizing Kirby's dair and the combos that can come from it.

(Holy crap the video is shaky as poo, lol. Whoops.)

EDIT: Here is my practice competitive match VS a friend's Pikachu.
Hey and welcome to the Kirby boards! Attempt to constructive criticism:
Kirby's d-air is good, but it isn't safe. If the opponent shields it they can just grab you out of it. I didn't see the Pikachu player do that, but what I did see was him/her learning how much you love d-air and reading it to punish you with a f-smash. Also, it's way safer to land d-air behind your opponent to avoid instant shield grabbing.

Another thing I saw was your use of Final Cutter. The move is laggy and very dangerous to use up close like you did at 1:15. Pikachu shielded it and punished you with a f-tilt, but if the opponent reacts early they might get behind/above you and punish you more gravely. Also, while being good in Brawl, d-throw is pretty bad in this game. I recommend using u-throw for damage and b-throw/f-throw for positioning and potential low percent combos.

Otherwise well played! I liked your Stone edgeguard reads!

FranktheKirby

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3823-8756-2059
Hey and welcome to the Kirby boards! Attempt to constructive criticism:
Kirby's d-air is good, but it isn't safe. If the opponent shields it they can just grab you out of it. I didn't see the Pikachu player do that, but what I did see was him/her learning how much you love d-air and reading it to punish you with a f-smash. Also, it's way safer to land d-air behind your opponent to avoid instant shield grabbing.

Another thing I saw was your use of Final Cutter. The move is laggy and very dangerous to use up close like you did at 1:15. Pikachu shielded it and punished you with a f-tilt, but if the opponent reacts early they might get behind/above you and punish you more gravely. Also, while being good in Brawl, d-throw is pretty bad in this game. I recommend using u-throw for damage and b-throw/f-throw for positioning and potential low percent combos.

Otherwise well played! I liked your Stone edgeguard reads!
Thank you! I appreciate the constructive criticism. I know that I'm nowhere near the best Kirby player, so it's nice to get advice.

I've noticed what you mean about final cutter. I've recently realized that it can only really combo against a few characters at lower percentages. I also try to distance myself if I end up whiffing the final cutter so I can't be immediately grabbed or f-tilted. And unfortunately I think that Kirby's dair is probably one of his main ways of starting up a combo to deal damage. But I do understand that I do it waaaaaaay too much, lol. I do appreciate the compliment about the stone reads. I've noticed that it is an extremely efficient was to land a KO on characters with poor/predictable recovery.

Last edited:

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Thank you! I appreciate the constructive criticism. I know that I'm nowhere near the best Kirby player, so it's nice to get advice.

I've noticed what you mean about final cutter. I've recently realized that it can only really combo against a few characters at lower percentages. I also try to distance myself if I end up whiffing the final cutter so I can't be immediately grabbed or f-tilted. And unfortunately I think that Kirby's dair is probably one of his main ways of starting up a combo to deal damage. But I do understand that I do it waaaaaaay too much, lol. I do appreciate the compliment about the stone reads. I've noticed that it is an extremely efficient was to land a KO on characters with poor/predictable recovery.
Be careful with FC in general. In some cases I'll actually try to get hit by it at percents where it will spike me into the ground to tech and punish as it is even less safe that way than if it is blocked.

On a side note, I talked about how good the Kirby/Pacman team can be. Pacman boards wanted to see it in action, so here's a bunch of videos of Emperor Eevee and I playing doubles.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMdwNx6LkCU3Fj9OUpFFNrx6K45s0xIDg

nikoryan

Smash Cadet
Here are the videos from this past Sunday. My mentality vs Jtails in winner's bracket was bad 'cause I had a belittling mentality (gotta stop doing that) since he's such a notable, and respectable player at the moment, but I started gaining confidence during grands. This weekend they have customs on, and I'm worried about the shenanigans that might happen... but we'll see!

------------
I played John#s in a little smashfest yesterday and I'm LOVING Monado Kirby!!! As Jump Kirby I literally did rising u-airs into a roof KO. I felt like MetaKnight in Brawl!! xD
I don't know if those friendly sets will get uploaded but I can't wait to play another Shulk outside of John#s. It looks like a super saiyan fight with Jump and Speed arts, hahaha!
Hey MikeKirby I just saw your video against Jtails for grand finals. Nice stuff! I wanted to ask you about the combo you did at 11:55. It was like u tilt-> uair-> nair ->dtilt-> hammer. It was only possible because Jtails missed the tech right? Would have it been possible to continue the jab lock or dtilt lock for 2 more hits and then hit him with a hammer? Also, why do you pivot when you do up tilts? Like alternating uptilt directions. Does that make the chain longer because of lower knockback or something?

Loved watching you play. I mained kirby in brawl and am trying to get used to him in smash 4. Kinda sad he has nothing after down throw I have bad habits using that alot. Also, do you see any use of kirby's hammer in the air? I'd always use his 2nd swing in brawl but now it's slower and weird.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I dunno when Mike will show up, but I think I can answer your questions until he does. You basically answered all your own questions though.

I remember that hammer, yes it was the dtilt lock, which is only possible on a missed tech. Yes you can Dtilt 3 times max, but if you get the opportunity it's usually just gonna be one time, because Dtilt sends them a bit away so you have to be really careful not to mess it up. Hammer does way more damage than your tilts, so you really don't want to mess the combo up, especially in a tournament setting.

Personally I turnaround uptilts sometimes as well. The sourspot (in front of Kirby, 4 damage) has less knockback than the sweetspot (behind Kirby, 5 damage) but I believe it has the same amount of hitstun, or similar. It lets you continue the combo a bit longer, especially on fastfallers. I like to end uptilt combos on fastfallers with Upsmash. Sheik for example, Uptilt x5 (doesn't really matter whether it's sweetspot or sourspot, sweetspot is actually preferred) and then upsmash, gets you about 40% damage every time.

I dunno if Mike sees more use for hammer than I do, I almost never use it. I did hit T1mmy with an aerial hammer kill yesterday, but that was wifi :nifty:

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I dunno if Mike sees more use for hammer than I do, I almost never use it. I did hit T1mmy with an aerial hammer kill yesterday, but that was wifi :nifty:
Lol, wifi. Probably explains why you were using Hammer to begin with. XD
Don't forget you also hit me with Stone, and I forget how many Smashes.

nikoryan

Smash Cadet
I dunno when Mike will show up, but I think I can answer your questions until he does. You basically answered all your own questions though.

I remember that hammer, yes it was the dtilt lock, which is only possible on a missed tech. Yes you can Dtilt 3 times max, but if you get the opportunity it's usually just gonna be one time, because Dtilt sends them a bit away so you have to be really careful not to mess it up. Hammer does way more damage than your tilts, so you really don't want to mess the combo up, especially in a tournament setting.

Personally I turnaround uptilts sometimes as well. The sourspot (in front of Kirby, 4 damage) has less knockback than the sweetspot (behind Kirby, 5 damage) but I believe it has the same amount of hitstun, or similar. It lets you continue the combo a bit longer, especially on fastfallers. I like to end uptilt combos on fastfallers with Upsmash. Sheik for example, Uptilt x5 (doesn't really matter whether it's sweetspot or sourspot, sweetspot is actually preferred) and then upsmash, gets you about 40% damage every time.

Ah I see. Thanks for the quick response! I'd love to play y'all online if that's okay. I remember playing t1mmy from AiB.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Some Kirby matches with commentary from my channel:

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
@ nikoryan nikoryan
What @ Asdioh Asdioh said. All of it. :laugh:

D-tilt is Kirby's only reliable jab lock hit left in this iteration. You can try to extend the jab lock longer with 2 or 3 more hits. It depends on the character's traction but you risk losing the opportunity to mess up your spacing, though.

Reverse/Sour spotted u-tilt indeed has less knockback. I use it to extend the combo AND to position the opponent and myself to let Kirby hit with the earliest frame of a short hopped u-air or u-smash. Here try this on fox on training mode: 4 sweet spotted u-tilts>4 reverse/sour spotted u-tilts> short hopped fast falled u-air > sour spot u-tilt > your choice of u-air or u-smash. If your frame perfect it's a true combo. ;) You don't necessarily have to be frame perfect to get it to work, though. =D

I'm playing around with air hammer more and taking note of what kind of situations it creates. Overall it's a risky move to do without a good read or set up.

Last edited:

Project SonicSpeed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SonicSpeed432
3DS FC
0000-0000-0000
Custom stages, nice. Wish more people started to realize how much potential custom stages have in this game.
@ nikoryan nikoryan
What @ Asdioh Asdioh said. All of it. :laugh:

D-tilt is Kirby's only reliable jab lock hit left in this iteration. You can try to extend the jab lock longer with 2 or 3 more hits. It depends on the character's traction but you risk losing the opportunity to mess up your spacing, though.

Reverse/Sour spotted u-tilt indeed has less knockback. I use it to extend the combo AND to position the opponent and myself to let Kirby hit with the earliest frame of a short hopped u-air or u-smash. Here try this on fox on training mode: 4 sweet spotted u-tilts>4 reverse/sour spotted u-tilts> short hopped fast falled u-air > sour spot u-tilt > your choice of u-air or u-smash. If your frame perfect it's a true combo. ;) You don't necessarily have to be frame perfect to get it to work, though. =D

I'm playing around with air hammer more and taking note of what kind of situations it creates. Overall it's a risky move to do without a good read or set up.
Yea i probably need to go into the lab with kirby and meta knight too but i just get so bored testing out moves and combos on cpus that i kinda would rather just test it on a human player (granted for glory probably isn't the ideal setting for this kind of stuff but it's better than no players imo) if someone wouldn't mind training with me that'd be great.
P.S: I recently played Runt in for glory and actually held my own be him once then the last two matches he just got the best of me. I need to work on my ability to adapt especially when i'm losing when i just get so mad i can't think straight. Too bad i can't show you guys since i forgot to save space for new replays.

Last edited:

Triple R

Smash Lord
Videos from the last monthly:

Doubles:
Winners' Round ?: Triple R :4kirby:& Sin242 :4shulk: vs Slinky :4diddy: & Lefteye :4zelda:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97fMOzV_7h0

Winners' Round ?: Triple R :4kirby: & Sin242 :4shulk: vs Cheeky :4yoshi: & Player2 :4falcon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uQ7grVnvHk

Grand Finals: Triple R :4kirby: & Sin242 :4shulk: vs Bayless :4sonic:/:4pikachu: & Emergency :4rob:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUBxR_Qonx4

Singles:
Winner's Round 1 or 2?: Triple R :4kirby: vs Player2 :4falcon:/:4gaw:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmVc6afixmA

Winners' Finals: Triple R :4kirby: vs Neomadgic :4ness:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHocR-6TXs4

Losers' Finals: Triple R :4kirby: vs Marilink :4greninja:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtA1uQ9UqJs

Grand Finals: Triple R:4kirby: vs Neomadgic:4ness:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Xw9hLPkjsY

Leonyx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Leonyx3
3DS FC
2638-1926-1616
I didn't know the U of M monthlies were recorded! I'll have to try to make it there next time.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
LOL that captain falcon ending
somewhat related to that set, but when you try to double jump dair, and instead footstool dair, it's the worst feeling.
Oh my god that ledge attack vs greninja are you kidding me? Do you plan this stuff?
That gfs vs ness was disgusting. You lost wfs against him? I haven't watched it but what the heck changed? Did he forget the matchup? Did you learn the ness mu?? Ggs

Cryz

Smash Cadet
Hey everyone!
i don't know if the videos have been posted here yet but on Team Spooky's channel there are two matches starring Mike Kirby, one against Rosaluma (Snakee) and one against Mario (Kirinblaze) there are also some double matches with JTails.
I'd like to post the links but i'm not allowed so yeah... if someone could find these videos, it could help some kirby mains here and understand some matchup better, especially against rosaluma because it seems that MikeKirby had trouble dealing with her.

ExtremeMagneticPower

Smash Rookie
Great job, @ Triple R Triple R on your matches. Just a few comments:
Watch out about landing in front of your opponent, especially after doing Kirby's dair. This often sets up a free grab or punish for your opponent, as seen with Ness's baseball bat kill in the WF. That being said, good job at generally landing behind your opponent most of the time, good job at generally keeping fast-fall dair for punishes, and great work with dair->dsmash for kills, something I should implement in my playing.
That Greninja water push off the top for a star KO was strange. When Kirby turns into a stone, he normally nullifies any momentum at the start of the transformation. However, I hypothesize that during the transformation, any momentum received is carried without any force of gravity until the animation is done. I've done neat stone kills against Link when his boomerang pulls me back and I turn into a stone midair, pulling me above Link and coming down once the attack is done. In your case, refraining from turning into a rock could have saved for life.
Try experimenting with Lylat's tilting to provide a safe landing for Kirby's rock, as the rock could slide around to safety.
Wow, spectacular adjustments in the GF. Turbo stone on Halberd, stone edge guarding, and seemingly much of everything wrong in the WF fixed.
Once again, great job, Triple R.

Cryz

Smash Cadet
Hey guys,

Clash tournament uploaded some new video with a couple of kirby rep.
Two players, Flip and Ecks Why Zee.
Flip played against ElPresidente an allright ness, this matchup seems a bit problematic, ness upB was hitting kirby quite a lot, i wonder if kirby could nair and destroy the projectile... But then i'm not sure he could land safely especially against ness. Overall flip was an okay kirby, trying to play patiently but took some risks with down smashes and forward smashes, plus getting caught in easy smashattacks.
Ecks Why Zee played against a captain falcon, a ZSS and a Mario. He's still a very inexperienced player and did not very well, too much approaches with dair, didn't use crouch against ZSS and Captain falcon. About mario it seems that a lot of his moves outprioritize kirbys, especially in the air.

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
Finally got around to watch the videos, @ Triple R Triple R ! Asdioh was not kidding when you rock him. I am now more a believer than ever! I wish you can stay around and participate in our matchup and competitive discussion. I believe we all can learn a lot from you. Nice work and keep up representing the Pink Puff Ball.

Hello Cryz. Thanks for the mention. You should post the videos here and we can properly analyze and suggest what they should have done. But we will go off your statements.

Yes, you can destroy Ness' Up B projectile with any aerial attack (Nair being the easiest). Right! Crouch destroy several characters, especially Captain Falcon. I guess some of Mario moves out prioritize Kirby's aerial moves like Uair. They do come out quicker than ours. A retreat Fair or Bair should beat Mario's Fair and Dair. If Mario approach in the air too much, try Utilt-ing him.

Cryz

Smash Cadet
Hey Unknownkid!

i would really like to post the video but i'm not at 10 posts yet ^^' so i can't do much except describing what i saw... But you can find the videos on the channels i mentionned :p

LaserLockOn

Smash Rookie
I just recently made a little replay video from online games with Kirby, if possible could someone review my Kirby and tell what I could do to improve? I might also do more videos in the future once I get a capture card and make videos without having to record the gamepad directly.

Cryz

Smash Cadet
Hey LaserLockOn!

Nice kirby, just watched your video and those were nice matches!

What you could improve:

- Up Bs on the ground, sometimes you were too close to the ennemy and you got punished for it.
- throwing too much smash attacks: forward smash especially, Very punisheable.
-be more patient: sometimes you were too greedy and got punished for example with jiggly in the air. Learn when to stop comboing your opponent because he will counter attack at one moment.
-try to use different mix ups, sometimes you used DAir too often and got punished by Diddy and Yoshi.
-i feel like you did better against yoshi when you approached him on the ground, yoshi is a bit weaker on the ground so yeah don't try to chase him or approach in the air, its harder to dodge the eggs or the high priority moves. Stay on the ground, powershield and punish him.
-carefull with rolls sometimes, against yoshi you lost a stock when you tried to roll behind him and you ended up in front of him, he punished with.a smash attack

Overall, you have a good kirby, nice punish game, you don't roll too much, your strings are on point!
Hope it helped! :)

ExtremeMagneticPower

Smash Rookie
Heyo, @ LaserLockOn LaserLockOn

Just some quick thoughts:
- Since you don't have a capture card, get a stand for your camera, or even a makeshift stand.
- Try to make a little more use of short hopping. I do see jump into Fair often, but I didn't see it connect very often, nor see it provide much pressure. Short hop fair is a good tool for getting opponents looking to run at you. Watch out about landing in front of your opponent, as a grab can come out. Also, you can use short hop fair, moving forward at first and then backing off, to provide bait to see if your opponent slips up. 8:09 is a good example of this.
- At 9:10, a good trick to keep holding your jab and guess when your opponent is going to get out of his shield. The jab finisher has a slightly longer range, so once your opponent gets out of his shield, use the finisher to surprise him.
- At 10:08, you seemed to have trouble dealing with projectiles. First, land on the ground, walk towards the opponent, and shield/powershield when the projectile comes at you.

Overall, a very good job. These are just a couple details to think about.

Bribery

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bribery
3DS FC
3626-0596-6286
Wow those Hammer Flip mindgames by TripleR.:laugh:

ExtremeMagneticPower

Smash Rookie
Hahaaha! Shots fired at MikeKirby at 5:12:10 by the commentators.
Like Bribery said, great use of Hammer Flip to mix things up and keep the ledge pressure on. Versatility is golden.

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
Triple R is living proof that Kirby isn't bad, we are all just bad with Kirby. Damn man... I hate that we got 2 rounds of Olimar vs Diddy. All because some kid didn't like being on stream. Nice work Triple R. I hope to see you at EVO.

Anyways, I don't know why T1mmy didn't post this. But I do you the favor since I always lurk the stream.
http://www.twitch.tv/gamepadarena/b/626767334 - 53:00
T1mmy vs T0mmy - Kirby vs Sheik.

Gova

I'm goin' for it!
NNID
Takicodos
Sup guys, I don't post here that much but I have some doubles matches from our monthly last Saturday.

31:40
55:05
1:16:10 WF
2:26:29 GF

Are the time stamps with our matches. Stream is choppy for some games but it's still watchable imo.

http://www.twitch.tv/atxsmash4/b/627885514

:gova:

Last edited:

Cryz

Smash Cadet
Japanese kirby in the first match against a ZSS, it was kind of close but i think he could've done better:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aWW0uqKR50I

Shows that the matchup against ZSS is not that easy, sure you can duck under certain attacks but she can kill really early, escape difficult situations with her down B.

Cryz

Smash Cadet
ChuDat playing Kirby on his stream:
http://www.twitch.tv/chudatz/b/629741717

1:09:00
2:30:00
2:58:12

He explained why he dropped kirby: Very bad matchup like Rosalina (gets upaired 2 times and die at 23% on stream twice), always have to approach, not too much combos and stuff.

Cryz

Smash Cadet
Hey thanks for these matches! Very nice kirby!

Man the video was from december and this guy was already quite good, he didn't use any ducking strats again megaman tho... But still that matchup looks hella hard... Same against pikachu, quite hard to get in or edgeguard him because of his quick attack and thunderbolts...

It was funny seeing kirby being countered in down B form and not taking any damage at the ledgue ^^ (3:38). The lucina matchup looks complicated too, you have to respect her a lot, always watch out for the shieldbreaker, the guy was playing carefully and defensive all the match, he knew his stuff. Must be even worse with marth's tipper

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Triple R is living proof that Kirby isn't bad, we are all just bad with Kirby. Damn man... I hate that we got 2 rounds of Olimar vs Diddy. All because some kid didn't like being on stream. Nice work Triple R. I hope to see you at EVO.
I finally watched the Triple R matches just now! Well, first I watched the Melee ones, and I was baffled at the logic "the best Kirby player loses, but doesn't lose too horribly, so maybe he's higher tier than we thought!" lol. Anyway, after not playing smash for a couple weeks, and then going from watching Melee Kirby to watching Smash 4 Kirby, he's so much better. But yeah um.. great matches and great play by RRR, but the guys he played were combo food. He clearly didn't have to put any thought into beating them >_> I'm assuming those matches were fairly early in the tournament, it's a shame we didn't get to see later matches :c

Also good matches by Timmy, I liked the final cutter into Fsmash and then the hammer lol.
also at 1:24:22 Diddy's monkey flip kick beats Kirby's sweetspot Bair, please nerf Diddy/buff Kirby thx

Top Bottom