• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby's "I forgot the old thread title" - Kirby Video Thread

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
The first thing I think of in that regard is the Critical Hit equipment. I'm not too sure if it would make Kirby's Dash Attack into a veritable OHKO, but it might be possible.

Also, I found a video of a Kirby player at a Custom Fighters tournament:
http://www.twitch.tv/62bitgaming/c/6616734

Looks like Custom Fighters is working out about how @fromundaman was saying.
I was thinking Critical Hit as well. Most likely, the last hit activate the effect.

Airbender/Avatar Dong is nothing new. In fact, the SB community already found ways to counter it.
http://smashboards.com/threads/comm...-sonics-hammer-sd.396222/page-3#post-19096323

Obviously, the Kirby player didn't know what to do. I can't blame him though. Dabuz (R&L), JohnNumbers (WiiFit), Boss (Luigi), NinjaLink (Megaman) and Ltails (Diddy Kong) all have beaten Custom DK. DKwill and Average Joe are well-known for both Default and Custom DK competitive play. Look them up for how it perform when DK main uses it. Not these band wagoner..

Relax... Default Kirby can beat it. Airdodge the first hit and Dair/Fair/Inhale before the second hit.

WootSnorlax

Smash Apprentice
So as for the Dairs, i watched the rosalina set and enumerated all the options where t!MmY did a dair

in front of opponent: x3 (punished x2) (landed behind and jabbed, anticipating landing in front and getting grabbed x1)
opponent on ground facing away from kirby: x2
defensive recovery: x1
cover opponents roll option: x1
both people the air in the air:x2 (used as a spacing tool x1, hit opponent the other time, took advantage of landing lag)
edge guard: used as bait for a dsmash x1

Hope this contributes to the conversation, looks like the adaptation made by t!MmY was to top approaching from the front with dair, as it just got shielded and grabbed on both occasions.
Very good observations. It should be noted that whenever you use dair as Kirby you should strive to space it so that you land behind the opponent. I'm sure most top level Kirby players already know this. Characters with little OoS options have a hard time dealing with it since most don't have any moves that can hit from behind also.

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
@ Asdioh Asdioh , just finished watching the rest of the matches you sent me, took me a while to get to 'em, I know, sorry! >.<

Anyway, the biggest common glaring weakness I saw in the matches that you had trouble with and could improve on was landing. Either you tried air dodging through or you tried to challenge someone juggling you. Kirby has a bit of a blind spot directly underneath him since he doesn't have a fast move to cover himself there. As soon as you get hit and placed in a juggle situation, retreat. Try to DI and jump out of the situation before it gets worse like what happened vs ZSS or early percents vs Pikachu. ;__; Try to recover around your opponent afterward, even if you have to retreat to the ledge, just get away. Use your multiple jumps to feint a landing. It might even bait an attack for you to be able to punish with a d-air. In general, jumping and air dodging is almost always the best defensive option with Kirby to avoid juggles and return to neutral.

Also, try not to directly punish a neutral get-up on the ledge unless you know the timing. It usually gets you punished if you do it wrong (ex. Vs Luigi) and most people do wiff because neutral get-up from the ledge is so safe... Kirby can cover most options from the ledge with either holding jab or doing a n-air in the general area above the ledge. Doing this will make an opponent feel "walled out" and that's where you start to condition a roll option for dat read. ;)

In general, I feel like avoiding juggles was a major factor since you lost stocks or took a lot of percents this way. Learn from your big mistakes and make a mental note that when you're in the same situation not to let it happen again like the ending of the matches vs Luigi/ZSS.

PS: Luigi can get run over by a truck for all I care. >___>

Last edited:

kirbyfan66

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kirbyfan66
Here is my Kirby. I also showcase some epic hammer and up-b spike kills. Also find out why Kirby is my favorite Nintendo character. Any feedback on my early kirby? (>'o')>

https://youtu.be/5W5n6AZIt98
Only watched Game 1, but I noticed a few things: When you Up Tilt juggle, and they pop up high, always follow up with Up Smash, Neutral Air, Back Air, or Up Air. There are probably more options but never follow with another Up Tilt, it's always going to miss. Juggles are fun, but so is added damage!

Final Cutter is neutral is bad in this game, since the shockwave goes almost nowhere. This is actually the reason I suggest using Wave Cutter, since that one's shockwave is so good, but this is For Glory so it's kind of impossible to use Customs. In general, work on your spacing and learn how to effectively retreat with Kirby's aerials. They're hard to punish when done right.

Your reads were hype, though. That first Stone was really good, and charging that Hammer Flip and ALMOST hitting Fox when he was staying on the ledge was very smart. Hammer Flip is very exciting!

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
https://youtu.be/IkgpkbE1hiQ @ Triple R Triple R has a bunch of recent videos on this channel! More Stone KOs than I can count!
Apparently he made it to grand finals in a customs tournament, using default Kirby? Impressive! (but I saw a couple stocks lost that would have been avoided with Upper Cutter :p)
also the newly-buffed Inhale coming into play at 9:38

Last edited:

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
Only watched Game 1, but I noticed a few things: When you Up Tilt juggle, and they pop up high, always follow up with Up Smash, Neutral Air, Back Air, or Up Air. There are probably more options but never follow with another Up Tilt, it's always going to miss. Juggles are fun, but so is added damage!

Final Cutter is neutral is bad in this game, since the shockwave goes almost nowhere. This is actually the reason I suggest using Wave Cutter, since that one's shockwave is so good, but this is For Glory so it's kind of impossible to use Customs. In general, work on your spacing and learn how to effectively retreat with Kirby's aerials. They're hard to punish when done right.

Your reads were hype, though. That first Stone was really good, and charging that Hammer Flip and ALMOST hitting Fox when he was staying on the ledge was very smart. Hammer Flip is very exciting!
Thanks for the tips! This is early Kirby footage so now I have a better understanding of when to do an up air after enough juggles.

Your right about using up b in neutral, RIP brawl up b. If you watch later matches in the video I show off up b spike setups which are even more hype than the hammer!

Hammer flip can hit some characters that poke their head off the ledge which can be very tricky! So far loving Kirby in this game, his combo game is on point.

WootSnorlax

Smash Apprentice

Triple R

Smash Lord

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
@ Asdioh Asdioh
I went ahead and gave you that video critique you asked for, but I sent it in a 'Conversation'. I hope it helps. Feel free to post it here if you think others could benefit from it.

Edit:
I had a chance to watch W4rpstar Warrior. Awesome idea, good clips. Thanks for making such a cool vid!

Last edited:

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
Hey guys! I am the streamer of my Smash Group's weeklies (Fridays and Saturdays). Being the streamer and a participant, half of the matches are of me, a Kirby main. Here are the twitch links for this weeks weekly + custom stage tournament, where I placed 4th and 3rd. Could I have some tips? There is plenty to go off of (also, sorry for the desync with audio and how squeaky my voice is. I'm 14 :p)

Ready to Fight Week 10:

First match vs. DRG | Marshmallow (Shulk/CF) (ends at 25:10) 2-0 win

Second match vs. Mustdash (Mario/Yoshi/Doc) (ends at 50:21) 2-1 win

Third match vs. N64Supreme (MK) (ends at 1:19:50) 1-2 loss
I know exactly what I did wrong in the last game, still salty about it. D:

Fourth match vs. blue_flavored (Pikachu) (ends at 1:37:43) 2-1 win

Fifth match vs. Mustdash (Mario/Luigi) (ends at 1:49:50) 0-2 loss.

Custom Stage Tourney:

First match vs. Frizz (Robin) (ignore the subtitle things) (ends at 1:17:40) 2-0 victory

Second match vs. Mustdash (Dr. Mario) (ends at 1:51:20) 0-2 loss

Third match vs. Frizz (Robin) (ends at 2:47:04) 2-0 win

Fourth match vs. Cedy (Dark Pit) (ends at 3:05:11) 2-1 win
oh btw the ending of this match is probably my favourite tourney kill of all time, and I freak out and sound pathetic. pl no hate.

Fifth match vs. Viellain (Shulk) (ends at 3:29:20) 1-3 loss
I made a big mistake at the end, ughh.

Yeah, so I don't think anyone is gonna watch all of them, but just watch a couple and give me some tips if you can. I have gotten top 4 in the past six tournies (1 doubles, 3 weeklies, 2 saturdays, I don't go to every single tourney) and I don't wanna break my chain :p. Thanks!

pnoid

Smash Cadet
Hey guys! I am the streamer of my Smash Group's weeklies (Fridays and Saturdays). Being the streamer and a participant, half of the matches are of me, a Kirby main. Here are the twitch links for this weeks weekly + custom stage tournament, where I placed 4th and 3rd. Could I have some tips? There is plenty to go off of (also, sorry for the desync with audio and how squeaky my voice is. I'm 14 :p)

Ready to Fight Week 10:

First match vs. DRG | Marshmallow (Shulk/CF) (ends at 25:10) 2-0 win

Second match vs. Mustdash (Mario/Yoshi/Doc) (ends at 50:21) 2-1 win

Third match vs. N64Supreme (MK) (ends at 1:19:50) 1-2 loss
I know exactly what I did wrong in the last game, still salty about it. D:

Fourth match vs. blue_flavored (Pikachu) (ends at 1:37:43) 2-1 win

Fifth match vs. Mustdash (Mario/Luigi) (ends at 1:49:50) 0-2 loss.

Custom Stage Tourney:

First match vs. Frizz (Robin) (ignore the subtitle things) (ends at 1:17:40) 2-0 victory

Second match vs. Mustdash (Dr. Mario) (ends at 1:51:20) 0-2 loss

Third match vs. Frizz (Robin) (ends at 2:47:04) 2-0 win

Fourth match vs. Cedy (Dark Pit) (ends at 3:05:11) 2-1 win
oh btw the ending of this match is probably my favourite tourney kill of all time, and I freak out and sound pathetic. pl no hate.

Fifth match vs. Viellain (Shulk) (ends at 3:29:20) 1-3 loss
I made a big mistake at the end, ughh.

Yeah, so I don't think anyone is gonna watch all of them, but just watch a couple and give me some tips if you can. I have gotten top 4 in the past six tournies (1 doubles, 3 weeklies, 2 saturdays, I don't go to every single tourney) and I don't wanna break my chain :p. Thanks!
Disclaimer:
I'm not mikekirby, and a criticism of my critique is welcome. I'm mostly just going to point out objective things that happened which you may or may not have noticed.

I watched your match with blue_flavored

About Nair:
I was thinking about using that move more often myself, and you seem to use it a LOT.
I was worried a more advanced player might be able to bait it out and punish, however when you do use it, you fastfall, and you're usually punishing an opponent's commitment to dash or an overzealous aerial. I guess the thing to be most afraid of would be a pivot tilt or pivot smash.
However in the first round you got punished twice for it because you did it on shield when they were facing you, and naturally you got shield grabbed. Don't do that :)

On rolling:
rolling is fine until you get predictable. In the first round you lost your last stock because of it (IIRC), and you were repeatedly punished in the second round for it, and even lost your first stock because of it. STAHP.
Looks like you try to use it as an approach option sometimes, but treat it like when your opponent sees you do it once, they're really waiting for you to do it again. They are all ears, and want to bait that out again so they can punish it, don't give them that.

Combo game:
I liked it. I feel like you've been in a lab with pikachu. I didn't really see how you could expand the strings more, that's more a question for a more advanced player

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
Disclaimer:
I'm not mikekirby, and a criticism of my critique is welcome. I'm mostly just going to point out objective things that happened which you may or may not have noticed.

I watched your match with blue_flavored

About Nair:
I was thinking about using that move more often myself, and you seem to use it a LOT.
I was worried a more advanced player might be able to bait it out and punish, however when you do use it, you fastfall, and you're usually punishing an opponent's commitment to dash or an overzealous aerial. I guess the thing to be most afraid of would be a pivot tilt or pivot smash.
However in the first round you got punished twice for it because you did it on shield when they were facing you, and naturally you got shield grabbed. Don't do that :)

On rolling:
rolling is fine until you get predictable. In the first round you lost your last stock because of it (IIRC), and you were repeatedly punished in the second round for it, and even lost your first stock because of it. STAHP.
Looks like you try to use it as an approach option sometimes, but treat it like when your opponent sees you do it once, they're really waiting for you to do it again. They are all ears, and want to bait that out again so they can punish it, don't give them that.

Combo game:
I liked it. I feel like you've been in a lab with pikachu. I didn't really see how you could expand the strings more, that's more a question for a more advanced player
Thanks! Thats the one problem I have playing Mustdash, he always reads my rolls. I like n-air because it has good priority, is fast, and has good comb potential, and I try to base my punishes around it. I will try to be safer with it, though.

Triple R

Smash Lord
@ Asdioh Asdioh
That video was AMAZING!!!! It was so nostalgic it gave me feel some type of fuzzy way! I loved watching my hero t!MmY's videos in melee and this was such a throwback!!! Sharing this everywhere!! ^_______^

----------------

@ken109 is the only Kirby I know that will go for shield breaks. :laugh:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=5ZfYBWrlEyw
@1:17 it looks like Kirby gets hit. Does Duck Hunt have a custom up b with a hitbox? It looked like a really weak hit.

Poupoko

Smash Cadet
@1:17 it looks like Kirby gets hit. Does Duck Hunt have a custom up b with a hitbox? It looked like a really weak hit.
Yup, Duck Jump Snag.
https://youtu.be/VgegfaMcZUs?t=3m9s

The dog bites during the recovery and if you get caught, he'll drag you up with him.
That move won't KO at all and the distance is less so the recovery is still challengable, but it's much safer for Duck Hunt.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
That was pretty neat and fun to watch. I already knew the stuff, but I'm sure there are a ton of newer players that don't know.
The combos at the end were a bit reaching, but at least you had the disclaimer there :p

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
All I can say is that I watched game 2 vs Link and game 3 vs Roy, and I heard NL say how you attack constantly with no regard for your safety, and that's exactly what I was going to say. You throw out attacks at every chance you get, which means the timing will always be predictable, and Kirby's range isn't threatening enough to do that. And he's really light, so he definitely can't afford to throw out unsafe moves, because every hit counts. Try baiting more, act like you're approaching and then retreat.

SmashRacer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SmashRacer
@ Asdioh Asdioh Thanks for the critique. Still need some improvevents. I actually picked Kirby up as my 6th main about 5 days ago. Just gotta keep practicing

EMPEROR Eevee

Smash Cadet
http://www.twitch.tv/egeofficial/v/6921274?t=0h52m0s Me vs Ray_Kalm in pools. I did really well first game almost taking it, but he destroyed me 2nd game and i had a stylish "concede" (tried to warlock punch him lol).

Could I have some tips?
Nice performance overall Maz! Here's a few tips since I have a hella good Ganon in my Scene(even though we only played once :p ):

-Work on teching Ganon's Side B (and teching in general). This is extremely important in the Kirby vs. Ganon MU. Teching his Side B gives him one option, Dash Attack. By the time he does Dash attack you'll be able to shield or roll a way from him.

-Don't take Ganon's power. It's pretty much useless for Kirby unless you are godlike at making reads on your opponent.

-Don't be afraid to go off stage and try to gimp. In my opinion, you were giving him too much respect while he was recovering. And i understand, because of the threat of being Side B'ed. Try staying above him while doing Short Hop D-Air's or just try to D-Air him. Ganon's recover is better than it was in Brawl, but if he is forced to recover low, that's your chance to attempt to gimp him.

-If you still have jumps, go for the ledge and don't Up-B. Ganon can punish that recover HARD with D-Tilt, F-tilt, F-smash, D-Air, B-Air and Up-tilt.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I agree with the stuff Eevee said, learn the timing to tech warlock choke or whatever it's called. I don't think teching it actually guarantees your safety, but the option is necessary if you want to not die. Kirby dies so easily in this matchup. And the tech timing for this move always seemed strange to me.

RIP Kirby when using Final Cutter, Upper Cutter is so necessary ;_;

Playing against Ganon shows what the core of the game (and any fighting game) is truly about: don't do anything dumb and get hit. Ganondorf has a few terrifyingly fast and strong disjointed moves, like Dtilt and Upair, but overall he's slow and you should be able to react to just about anything he does. When you were at high % first game, and had taken the first stock, you should have camped your butt off. This is probably true in most matchups, but especially someone as slow as Ganondorf: if you have the stock lead, try not to approach, and rack up as much damage as you can before you lose your stock. If you're like me, you like going aggressive, but it's a bad idea when Ganondorf can make one read and kill you with an Upair that easily beats ALL of your aerials.

Good job respecting the Ganoncide when he was offstage, that's a sad way to lose. You shouldn't have given up though, it was still very winnable. Take his stock and get some uptilt combos, force him offstage and gimp him, it's possible.

Top Bottom