• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby Question and Answer/Helpful Thread directory! <(^_^)>

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
It doesn't ACTUALLY matter...

That post was about how people tend to pick a certain color based on their playstyle. That being said, that's not entirely true either.
It does matter.... to me. =P

oh and here i was thinking it was true
Really? Nearly every game that you switch color wouldn't matter, just looking at the character you use in a match and you like that color is fine. I'm surprised you believed it... or your pulling my leg. O_o

BBQTV

Smash Master
It does matter.... to me. =P

Really? Nearly every game that you switch color wouldn't matter, just looking at the character you use in a match and you like that color is fine. I'm surprised you believed it... or your pulling my leg. O_o
you all sounded very convincing

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
This phrase bothers me to no extenct. This is the reason why SWF will never progress, and why the SBR has been able to flourish so: people always assume that smart playing will avoid everything, when all the pros are ALWAYS playing smart... It's like saying "if the Kirby is stupid and the Pika is smart, then he can get away"... Dur.

Well, a smart Kirby will still hit the pikachu nonetheless.
But a smarter Pikachu won't use QAC predictably...

Wait, I said smarter, lemme rephrase that. Kirby isn't fast enough to react to and punish a QAC after it starts, especially when on the ground. It's just too fast.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
... yes he is... It's not instantaneous. You can't know EXACTLY where he's going, but you can make it so he can't hit you out of QAC by simply preparing a punishing option should he try to.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Wait, I said smarter, lemme rephrase that. Kirby isn't fast enough to react to and punish a QAC after it starts, especially when on the ground. It's just too fast.
Ah, this sounds muuuuch better.... :)

Yeah, it's not easy to punish a Pikachu once he QAC'd, but constantly spacing rising and falling bairs will make it immensely difficult for the Pikachu to be able to do anything close-ranged, since our bair has the disjoint and knockback to assure that we don't suffer... He literally won't be able to enter Kirby's personal space without suffering damage, the frame window between bairs is too small to go in and out without taking damage on Pika's part.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
You pretty much explained what I was trying to say so much better than I could XD

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I'm looking for hidden text that isn't there, and subsequently confused by the 2nd smiley.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I accidentally did this in a match...Does footstool to rock combo?
Yeah, from what I've heard around these boards it does... But, either better thing to do out of a footstool, you accidentally footstooled your opponent and didn't notice until it was too late, or your opponent won't let you footstool them.

rvkevin

Smash Lord
Yeah, from what I've heard around these boards it does... But, either better thing to do out of a footstool, you accidentally footstooled your opponent and didn't notice until it was too late, or your opponent won't let you footstool them.
It was in a doubles match, I was high above the center of the stage and the opponent went flying really fast at me (On Wifi so I didn't really react to it, I was just hovering), I accidentally footstooled him, and killed with a rock...Offstage, Dair would be a better followup, but onstage, rock seems the way to go.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
It was in a doubles match, I was high above the center of the stage and the opponent went flying really fast at me (On Wifi so I didn't really react to it, I was just hovering), I accidentally footstooled him, and killed with a rock...Offstage, Dair would be a better followup, but onstage, rock seems the way to go.
Yep (man, I did some real bad grammar there and didn't notice), offstage dair is the obvious choice, and on-stage I'd guess Rock is best... I never footstool on-stage due to the risks I'll have to get by in order to get the footstool, so I've never really tried anything.

NeverKnowsBest

Monochrome Like A Panda
What are the most important points to know about Kirby to win?

I keep decaying my back air. I tend to lose matches when I try to refresh it. What are effect ways to refresh?

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
What are the most important points to know about Kirby to win?

I keep decaying my back air. I tend to lose matches when I try to refresh it. What are effect ways to refresh?
The BEST ways to refresh bair is by pummeling after grabs... With our deceptive grab range and our good shieldgrab, running past a spacing enemy, shielding (or powershielding), and grabbing them will get you a couple of easy pummels, plus a dthrow and maybe a follow-up or two (like dthrow>bair, bthrow>bair, bthrow>uair...)... You keep your game up like that, refreshing your bair with our lightning-fast pummels (the mashing of a button is innate to an MK main, and we are all innate MK mains, so mashing the 'A' button will be easy) and getting free damage with throws, and you'll have your bair fresh whenever you need it fresh! :D

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
☠
You have NO idea how much that works. I was astonished at how much a couple of pummels will freshen up a Bair.

But in case you can't get a grab in, what do you think is a good alternative?
☠

●▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬๑۩۩๑▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬●
Lots of tilts. Against heavies, we do a real good job of comboing them with aerials and grounded attacks, so just utilt them and set them up in bad aerial positions, then just follow their landing trajectories... Against lightweights, well I'm guessing try your hand at combos and strings, ftilt for a spacing attack, dtilt to set up for grabs (dtilt once and buffer a dashgrab, even if you don't trip your opponent it's better to be safe than sorry), and ledgehopped aerials.

I know we have a nice amount of guaranteed combos on MK, Snake, Falco and DDD when they're at combo-able %s, but lately I haven't had the chance to study other MUs as extensively as I've studied those 4.

NeverKnowsBest

Monochrome Like A Panda
The BEST ways to refresh bair is by pummeling after grabs... With our deceptive grab range and our good shieldgrab, running past a spacing enemy, shielding (or powershielding), and grabbing them will get you a couple of easy pummels, plus a dthrow and maybe a follow-up or two (like dthrow>bair, bthrow>bair, bthrow>uair...)... You keep your game up like that, refreshing your bair with our lightning-fast pummels (the mashing of a button is innate to an MK main, and we are all innate MK mains, so mashing the 'A' button will be easy) and getting free damage with throws, and you'll have your bair fresh whenever you need it fresh! :D
Thank you very much! What is the best throw to use to refresh the back air? Do the stomps of the down throw count as one throw with multiple hits like the pummel? Or does that count as just one hit?

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Thank you very much! What is the best throw to use to refresh the back air? Do the stomps of the down throw count as one throw with multiple hits like the pummel? Or does that count as just one hit?
Dthrow only counts as one attack, sadly... BUT! It puts your opponent in the air and you on the ground, as well as deals 10-11% to your opponent... From there, you refreshed your bair a bit, and now you have your opponent at a disadvantageous position: above you.

Uthrow is good and all, but only if you're against ICs or trying to kill at high %s, since you have no real follow-ups to it... Fthrow should only be used at low %s, and bthrow as well (it combos into either bair and uair, up until 60-70% on Snake)... But dthrow is the best option.

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
wow, i never even thought to rock out of footstool...

and the best way to refresh your moves will invariably be grab pummels. i think if you hit the opponent at the maximum speed possible, all the pummels count as one tho...someone check that for me?

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
wow, i never even thought to rock out of footstool...

and the best way to refresh your moves will invariably be grab pummels. i think if you hit the opponent at the maximum speed possible, all the pummels count as one tho...someone check that for me?
It wouldn't make sense to me... o_o

... And even if it was true, to get the maximum Kirby pummel speed requires inhuman button-mashing powers, so even if they mash as fast as they can, they'll refresh accordingly.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
It wouldn't make sense to me... o_o

... And even if it was true, to get the maximum Kirby pummel speed requires inhuman button-mashing powers, so even if they mash as fast as they can, they'll refresh accordingly.
It's actually not that hard to get the max speed. Just mash it. It's not as fast as you may think.

That being said, mash speed has nothing to do with how many they count as. For example, you could do Samus' pummels as slowly as you want, and they still won't count as seperate refreshes (At least I think so...). Luckily for us, ours do refresh, regardless of the speed.

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
It's actually not that hard to get the max speed. Just mash it. It's not as fast as you may think.

That being said, mash speed has nothing to do with how many they count as. For example, you could do Samus' pummels as slowly as you want, and they still won't count as seperate refreshes (At least I think so...). Luckily for us, ours do refresh, regardless of the speed.

I thought it was on a set timer for how often they refreshed? SuSa had a thread on it in tactical a while back, saying that you need a moment or so between pummels to actually get the max out of them refresh-wise. Also, why mash when all you need to do is time the IASA? Its not that hard to do and it doesn't require good reflexes, just a decent sense of timing and a few minutes in practice mode to find the rhythm.

Edit: @NKB: Bair.

BBQTV

Smash Master
does the neural A refresh the moves or is it the dash kick thing the one why kirby is on his hands and kicks

Tiersie

Smash Ace
I'm trying to figure this out. But how does one momentum cancel with bair? It seems really counter productive to me, seeing as while trying to momentum cancel with it you'll probably end up DI ing the wrong way.

So what do I do?

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Jabs refresh only 3 moves: jab1 (which is the normal punch), jab2 (which is the second punch) and jab3 (the whole jab only refreshes 1 move, if I'm not mistaken). And the dash attack refreshes 1 move only, too.

Tierse, use the control stick to DI, and the c-stick to bair. You can QCDI to fastfall as soon as possible and bair with the c-stick. That's what I do and I live pretty **** long for a Kirby!

CARNiVOOR

Smash Rookie
Jabs refresh only 3 moves: jab1 (which is the normal punch), jab2 (which is the second punch) and jab3 (the whole jab only refreshes 1 move, if I'm not mistaken). And the dash attack refreshes 1 move only, too.

Tierse, use the control stick to DI, and the c-stick to bair. You can QCDI to fastfall as soon as possible and bair with the c-stick. That's what I do and I live pretty **** long for a Kirby!
Quick question: QCDI is Quarter Circle DI, right? Is it literally just rotating the control stick to fastfall quicker? Or do I have it wrong?

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Quick question: QCDI is Quarter Circle DI, right? Is it literally just rotating the control stick to fastfall quicker? Or do I have it wrong?
Yep, QCDI is Quarter-Circle DI. You move the control stick as if doing a quarter circle, back and forth, as fast as you can. It helps you escape multi-hit attacks easily... If done right, you can even fall out of Zelda's usmash! I've done it but it's still hard to do...

And yeah, QCDI would help you fastfall quicker once you momentum cancel.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496

I thought it was on a set timer for how often they refreshed? SuSa had a thread on it in tactical a while back, saying that you need a moment or so between pummels to actually get the max out of them refresh-wise. Also, why mash when all you need to do is time the IASA? Its not that hard to do and it doesn't require good reflexes, just a decent sense of timing and a few minutes in practice mode to find the rhythm.

Edit: @NKB: Bair.
Hmmm... Is that so for every character? I mean, I could see that for Lucario, Wolf and Samus, but for Kirby it always seems to refresh my moves completely when I get 10 or so pummels in.

Also, maybe I just mash slowly, but the speed at which I mash makes it so 90% of my pummels hit the IASA frames, so that's kind of what I meant :p

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I'm not at my house, but can someone confirm if Kirby can damage anyone around him if he eat's a bomb? Wario is able to, I'm trying to make sure if Kirby can.

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
Hmmm... Is that so for every character? I mean, I could see that for Lucario, Wolf and Samus, but for Kirby it always seems to refresh my moves completely when I get 10 or so pummels in.

Also, maybe I just mash slowly, but the speed at which I mash makes it so 90% of my pummels hit the IASA frames, so that's kind of what I meant :p
Dunno for 100%, but I'm about 75% sure that it's for all characters.

Also, when I hear the word mash, I think of me or my brother hitting the b button fast enough to make Luigi's tornado rise near full hight without the second jump to boost it. :laugh:

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I'm not at my house, but can someone confirm if Kirby can damage anyone around him if he eat's a bomb? Wario is able to, I'm trying to make sure if Kirby can.
No one is going to answer this, PS I'm still not at my house. T_T

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Dunno for 100%, but I'm about 75% sure that it's for all characters.

Also, when I hear the word mash, I think of me or my brother hitting the b button fast enough to make Luigi's tornado rise near full hight without the second jump to boost it. :laugh:
Hehe, I mash slowly :p

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Sorry Viper, but I dunno the answer to your question... If DDD and Wario can do it, though, then Kirby can as well.

I just don't think it's something worth looking into, it won't make any matchup easier and you're still eating a load of lag (30 frames?).

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I just tried it myself and no, Kirby and King Dedede can't perform that after all. If Wario swallows a bomb, it will able to kill around a good 110% if your at the center of the stage, but around 80ish or 90ish if your near the edge.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Oooh, that's nice and all, but too situational and hard to pull off when you want to do it... Sooo, from a Wario's perspective, it would be better (and safer) to pressure opponents like they do now.

If Kirby could've done it, I would've scared my snake-maining friend whenever he decided on holding grenades near me...

Top Bottom