• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby General Discussion

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I can beat Pichus, it's just that they counter loads of Kirby's moves. From what I understood Kirby was rated higher due to better matchups with others, not because of actually beating Pichu.

Oh and I just discovered Pichu self harms. He sucks.

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
Rhymes with Kirby, many questions.

I wish to know who would make a good partner with Kirby in melee. What are the more "great" teams and what are some of the "horrible" teams? Can some one explain why each partner is "Good" or Bad".

Fox?
Marth?
Shiek?
Falco?
Jiggly puff?
C.Falcon?
Peach?
Ice Climbers?
Samus?
Dr.Mario?
Ganon?
Luligi?
D.K.?
Mario?
Link?
Pikachu?
Young Link?
Roy?
Zelda?
Mr.Game and Watch?
Ness?
Yoshi?
Bowser?
Mewtwo?
Kirby (don't answer this one question it is meant to be rhetorical.) ?
Pichu?
Male Wire frame (lol)?
Female Wire frame (lol)?
Giga bowser (Just covering all the possibilities)?
Crazy Hand?
Master Hand (Actually he is usable though a glitch (I know, you know already) and thus playable with out hacking as a result he is tournament legal and can be a real partner.)?
Solo Popo (Starts the match as Ice Climber not Ice Climbers.)?

But in all seriousness I am truly wishing this questions to be answered. Who is the best partner and why?

BunBun

Smash Master
Kirby Falco and Kirby Jiggs are two of my favorite.

Kirby Ness and Kirby Zelda are utter garbage.
Double kirby is entertaining.

Kirby fox can get goofy waveshine>swallow combos.
Kirby Jiggs does the goofy Tommy/Timmy combos.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I would think Kirby + Jiggly would be good, seeing as Jiggly has most of N64 Kirby's kicks and generally does all the things that Kirby can't anymore. Also, sing + stone is likely good and a good set up for some Jiggly air kicks.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
One grab on Pichu should be death. Dthrow -> Tech chase. Pichu's tech-roll is so horrendous that you barely need to read him at all.
your doing it so very wrong unless you don't know how to beat jab resets hold up when they d-throw you if they don't you could attack them. also tech in place has many inv. frame that most techs don't have. tech in place to spot dodge to grab.

Also pichu is very fast and doesn't have the slow L--cancels most people have so he can hit their sheild.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
lol please stop thinking that sing and stone are viable moves in today's metagame :/
Stone is a viable move if, for some reason, you can be sure of it hitting and not retaliated against afterward. As such it would be perfectly fine after sing, were sing a viable move. I honestly had no idea sing was considered useless, that invalidates both moves, though if stone really is THAT bad then that explains why Kirby is generally considered rubbish.

All Kirby's good moves are too slow for tournament play :(.

EDIT: LOL at ICG! I didn't expect you to be good but you'd have been 3 or 4 stocked if BunBun didn't mess up recovery like that. Honestly, I'm not sure BunBun's that great but you're terrible!

BunBun

Smash Master
Stone is almost completely useless.

Occasionally you can use it in teams when you're falling from the bubble. I killed Tink with it in a tournament match xD

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
yes I suck and I hard lost to you your a better player it's clear as of now. That one match :) also if you pull up that pichu match f*** you my mind was totally baked and I ALWAYS ban that stage as pichu it's not bad I just can't play that way as pichu to make that stage work out for me. I play defencively and that s***s all over what I do there. but i'd love to play you again.

I suck :p i'm trying to get better.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
I'm glad someone argees that I suck I was trying to tell that to sveet after he said I'm smart.

also in that match I SDed if you noticed also if bunbun tryed to recover the right way he would've been hit by f-tilt and die anyways. so really other than that SD and my mind was baked I would've done better. I hate myself for not noticing how easy I could've messed him up with spaced bairs everytime he jumped. yes pichu's bair. I can get away with it when they do that. It's faster than what they could do.

also if you noticed I'm about messing with them most of my hits were from mindgames. Bunbun we should play again also I will nearly always lose on YS So i've decieded i'm just going to be uber techinal on that stage and just lose looking flashy.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Ryuu seika has no idea about anything lol.
When it comes to competetive smash, no.

I'm trying to improve but with no decent opponents, no skill as anyone but Kirby, no real understanding of how to use blocks effectively (I find attacks generally work better for defending than blocks) and a moral adversity to "wave dashing", can you really expect me to have any idea of the competetive scene?

If you could take the time to explain every tiny detail as to why every move is good or bad and when to use it (or not) then that would almost certainly help but I don't believe anyone actually would do such a thing. That is the sort of thing someone must discover for themselves and facing AI and noobs is not the way to do it.

Tamoo

Smash Master
use back air, up air, forward air and inhale, and tilts and occasionally smashes

don't use ground hammer, stone, up b as an offensive move (lol pink reaper)

work around this basis and you'll learn gradually what moves are good for what situation i guess

also def wavedash, don't think of it as a glitch, because it's not, it's just an exploit of the game mechanics, cancelling your jump as soon as possible

cos wavedashing is pretty useful for kirby at times

ryuu seika

Smash Master
use back air, up air, forward air and inhale, and tilts and occasionally smashes
Is Fair really that great against anyone but Giga Bowser? Bair is good though, while Uair only seems useful if they're falling at the time.

don't use ground hammer
Duh. Outside of brinstar depths and great bay where you can bounce people off the ceiling, this move sucks. Seeing as those are banned stages, that means it pretty much sucks outright in tournament play. It's just too slow.

stone, up b as an offensive move
I try not to but cutter and stone are just so vital against the AI opponents. Except Pi(ka)chu. You have to own him with tilts, smashes and Fairs.

also def wavedash, don't think of it as a glitch, because it's not, it's just an exploit of the game mechanics, cancelling your jump as soon as possible
I'm fine with glitches. Master Hand can be fun. It's exploits I don't agree with, for whatever reason.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
You know when i played against bunbun in that match do you really think I had anyone to play against that I couldn't just 4 stock like that? spacing alone I could beat my brothers then and they rarly would play at the time. So basically 95% of my skill come from carefully studing and playing theory. Seeing how I hadn't anyone semi decent to play against I think you could at least be as good as me if you so choose. Maybe you could get your skill tech more solid than I was at that time.

No johns for being bad unlike it's like it's impossible like fox movement camping or pichu vs kirby on KJ64.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
I don't think you understand what i said my SKILL came nearly 95% theory and me looking for ANY info. I could find about pichu. That and extreme mental training. I don't rage other than vs very hard 1 player mode. My brother's now campy falco can't get into my head by anymeans.

study kirby understand what combos, tech chases. think up mindgame tricks like bair wall and FF into dash attack at them like once in the match that won't see it coming if it's rare enough.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
yeah... Unlike most kids I had an imagination AND kept it. When I walk around I like to make noises with Dos, das and etc. and be ninja like.

Also can you think of FD? can you think of one of kirby's moves being used there? and then on someone at different percents and possible follow-ups? how would you land it run away to WD back up-tilt and they run into it?

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
After watching that video I got an idea. Could I post some videos of my Kirby vs some people? Is that allowed here? I think posting Kirby videos in the Kirby forums would get me a better opinion on what I can do to improve than posting it in the video forums. Also BunBun and INSANE CRAZY GUY you both did great, at least from my perspective... :( *Puts face in hands and starts crying as he/she knows that he/she has a fair amount of knowledge in melee but very little tech skill.* :(

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
I'm listening to don't fear the reaper. But yeah BB was sandbaging at the end it was very clear. Really That's about as bad of a lose I ever suffered from bunbun.

I wish people would stop saying good things about me, I don't even know any more, my mind can't understand it anymore.

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
Lmao if you think ICG OR Bunbun did great in that match you have a lot less knowledge than you think. BB was sandbagging pretty hard and ICG was........................bad. lol.
Hey, let us all try to be friends here. :) As long as someone puts in there all, they (In my opinion) are to still deserve at least some form of respect as there are many people who never try their all. If BunBun was truly sandbagging and ICG was trying his hardest then ICG regardless of weather he won or lost is the true winner :). Also can you please answer my question Mr.Pink Reaper Sir and/or a mod who happens to be reading this.

Tamoo

Smash Master
What, and get hit out of your upb whilst off stage with no jumps left?

Also please don't think you can take icg just based on videos. Especially having not played anyone in our community cos of your location I know. Playing humans is insanely different to ai you can have no idea

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
Please tell me about my patterns and how I play? Also is it not possible for me to adapt? also if bunbun was SHFFLing I think I would've done better.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
What, and get hit out of your upb whilst off stage with no jumps left?
No, at worst you get hit out of your up B whilst off stage with 3 or 4 jumps left and the ability to ariel hammer them.

Playing humans is insanely different to ai you can have no idea
I do indeed know how different human oppositition can be. I have struggled adapting from cooperative and solo play to VS play in several online games.

As for me having nobody to face round here, I've been wondering if I can get in touch with the people who first introduced me to melee again. It's been 5 or 6 years but this time I'll be the one winning every game. Muhuhahahahaha!

Tamoo

Smash Master
umm if you get hit out of up b, even with 3 or 4 jumps, you lose ALL of your jumps

up b for me as a recovery is pretty much a last resort because of this

and just travel down to a london tournament or something and make the most of it, like visit some good shops or something or see the sights if you haven't before. A first tournament experience is always an eye opener. I could even house you for up to a week before or after the next tournament. How old are you anyway, an age where you can start travelling alone?

ryuu seika

Smash Master
umm if you get hit out of up b, even with 3 or 4 jumps, you lose ALL of your jumps
WHAT?!

Since when?! I double jumped into cutter into being hit by an edge gaurding Giga Bowser 3 times in a row without touching down once.

If that is true under normal circumstances though, that does indeed pretty much invalidate cutter as anything but final recovery.

How do you feel about jumping off the top and then Stoning, only to cancel before entering their range and then Dair when close? I'm not sure if it would work but it seems like it could be a good fake out tactic to me. They prepare for stone, see you're not doing it and then you hit them with something similar but minus the afterlag.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
There's actually a few frames early on in the Up B where you wont lose your jumps. Not enough to matter though.

I killed a peach player on Brinstar once when we both got hit to the top of the screen and she tried to Up B me off the top but I stoned through her and killed her instead. It was awesome.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
anytime you kill/beat peach it's awesome I don't care if it's gayer than what it would be like if you had 3 ice climbers teamed up(team damage off) on YS64 and quad block camped a cloud so perfectly gay it would make a sheik main be straight and give up being gay.

Top Bottom