• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby Everything -- Kirby Social Thread

pinkdeaf1

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0387-9018-0614
Kirby is such a work out to play with when trying to battle a competent Samus. It's like every move Kirby has manages to get out prioritized by everything else Samus has.
Kirby makes Samus change up her game, but all her moves hurt and hit hard. I can't get anything going. And the neutral B is darn useless. I can't bait the samus into it no matter what.

Ugh.
Neutral B isn't useless, but the fact that you can't charge it in the air like Samus really bites. Either you are fighting a really good Samus, or... never mind that.

At the right height, you can use cutter dash to get past Samus's missiles, unless that isn't the answer you're looking for. What exactly are your gripes? Other than being outprioritized, just bait unsafe attacks and counter. Keep a bair on hand and stay in the air. As I recall, Samus is a character who excels in the ground spacing game.

pinkdeaf1

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0387-9018-0614
Anyone play against a Zelda, yet? Din's fire doesn't seem to be an issue, but having to fight to get in close is annoying. I can't bait because she's comfortable staying on her side of the map. So i got to take to battle to her. Which obviously makes things harder on me as it's me approaching, and that seems like a bad idea with Kirby.

Neutral B is easy to deal with. Just shield until it's over and grab. But that foot hits hard and knocks you away putting you at a disadvantage as you have to come crawling back to her to get anything done.

Maybe I'm not doing something right, but I feel most of my attacks are getting beat out, also, by everything she has. I find it incredibly annoying that Din's Fire completely cancels my running A. As a matter of fact, if I remember correctly, the only move I remember going through it was Fair.
Maybe just mix up your approach and try not to challenge Zelda's attacks. Throw in some feints and simply out space her until she makes a punishable move and retaliate accordingly.

MaPow

Smash Apprentice
If there isn't a skype group chat, I would love to make one so we could discuss good ole Kirby more. There's one for like all the other characters but I haven't found one for him yet.

You guys can add me on skype as Tetraflora.
I think that's a great idea. I predominantly play melee so my Kirby playstyle is more like chu's. So id like to learn how to actually play the character so I can get good at this game :)

Last edited:

Tetraflora

Smash Rookie
Neutral B isn't useless, but the fact that you can't charge it in the air like Samus really bites. Either you are fighting a really good Samus, or... never mind that.

At the right height, you can use cutter dash to get past Samus's missiles, unless that isn't the answer you're looking for. What exactly are your gripes? Other than being outprioritized, just bait unsafe attacks and counter. Keep a bair on hand and stay in the air. As I recall, Samus is a character who excels in the ground spacing game.
To expand on this, I have some good experience in this MU and despite Kirby disliking projectiles it isn't so bad for him. The reason being that he can waveland/duck under missles, forcing them to do homing instead of smash missles. Kirby is also able to weave in and out decently well, nair through the slower homing missles, and charge shot can be copied and will go through homing missles if you catch her trying to zone you out with one. I think it's all about keeping a low profile, doing crouch trots and the such patiently until you can get in. Keep your shield game strong, it's not like Samus has that good of shield pressure so you should be good most of the time sticking to the ground. Keeping to the air works okay too but your options against smash missles are just outright dodging them instead of going under/powershielding. Zair pokes can be a bit tricky to deal with though.

Kirby also totally bops Samus' recovery. All those bomb jumps are too slow for him to not get an easy bair lol Never be afraid to go offstage and challenge most recoveries with Kirby. Keyword: Most. (Looking at you Mewtwo)

Last edited:

Jethroo

Smash Journeyman
To expand on this, I have some good experience in this MU and despite Kirby disliking projectiles it isn't so bad for him. The reason being that he can waveland/duck under missles, forcing them to do homing instead of smash missles. Kirby is also able to weave in and out decently well, nair through the slower homing missles, and charge shot can be copied and will go through homing missles if you catch her trying to zone you out with one. I think it's all about keeping a low profile, doing crouch trots and the such patiently until you can get in. Keep your shield game strong, it's not like Samus has that good of shield pressure so you should be good most of the time sticking to the ground. Keeping to the air works okay too but your options against smash missles are just outright dodging them instead of going under/powershielding. Zair pokes can be a bit tricky to deal with though.

Kirby also totally bops Samus' recovery. All those bomb jumps are too slow for him to not get an easy bair lol Never be afraid to go offstage and challenge most recoveries with Kirby. Keyword: Most. (Looking at you Mewtwo)
I competely agree with Tetra on the recovery. If you go out there and get samus she won't get close enough to grapple or upB. Next if she does grapple she can be hit and knocked out of grapple while she pulls in for the edge and she can only grapple one time while recovering.

Also, if you do shield a non-homing missile be careful of the shield poke... the missile flies at the perfect height for poking if you don't direct your shield.

Power shielding can ruin their day.

MaPow

Smash Apprentice
I competely agree with Tetra on the recovery. If you go out there and get samus she won't get close enough to grapple or upB. Next if she does grapple she can be hit and knocked out of grapple while she pulls in for the edge and she can only grapple one time while recovering.

Also, if you do shield a non-homing missile be careful of the shield poke... the missile flies at the perfect height for poking if you don't direct your shield.

Power shielding can ruin their day.
Stopping Samus's recovery is key. Not many characters can punish samus for her bomb recovery, and it isn't very hard to do either (bair too good). Also, I use drill->upsmash as a good KO option. Racking up the damage is pretty easy if u can get close enough to samus, uptilt combos are good at early percents. I also like smaller stages against samus so i can get reliable KOs with a bair/fair/nair off-stage. And learning to power shield, especially that charge shot, can indeed ruin a samus's day.

most recoveries with Kirby. Keyword: Most. (Looking at you Mewtwo)
^ yesssss :c

pinkdeaf1

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0387-9018-0614
Stopping Samus's recovery is key. Not many characters can punish samus for her bomb recovery, and it isn't very hard to do either (bair too good). Also, I use drill->upsmash as a good KO option. Racking up the damage is pretty easy if u can get close enough to samus, uptilt combos are good at early percents. I also like smaller stages against samus so i can get reliable KOs with a bair/fair/nair off-stage. And learning to power shield, especially that charge shot, can indeed ruin a samus's day.

^ yesssss :c
We should show these comments to Barbie (formerly known as Klit). I'm sure he'd get a kick out of this. ; P

I say this because since I main both Samus and Kirby rather proficiently, if I do say so myself, I have a bias for both of these characters and might like to make a few good corrections.
A land-cancelled missile at the right height can hit a ducking kirby. Shielding should be done at those times. And although powershielding can be a boon, reflecting the missile is unlikely so it shouldn't be expected.

Although a recovering Samus is simply dealt with by kirby on paper, actually hitting a samus as she recovers via tether requires timing and placement that kirby won't be able to easily accomplish. Hell, that samus might fire a missile to clear the tether space before actually tethering. I know I do that sometimes, saving my double jump for aftrr firing to see whether I need to fire again or just tether back. Nothing is set in stone in the actual matches.

Kirby's dair to up-smash, huh? I've never tried that. I might, but actually performing the dair to begin with can be tricky. No good samus will just wait for that slow dair, so the practicality of it might be less than kirby's other options. That isn't to say don't use it though. I'm saying that samus can easily punish an aerially approaching kirby, or any character for that matter.

This post sounded a lot like a nicer Klit...

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Kirby takes alot of patience. I wish I could up my tech skill, though. I'm watching my friend Adam play and this dude is really fast at what he does. He's able to pressure everybody (He shows me what he can do with Kirby). Speed is a key factor, and something I'm not yet able to do. I'm slow compared to him, lol.

Jethroo

Smash Journeyman
The timing for edge guarding samus isn't to terrible with experience (just like edge guarding most characters) and kirby does have tons of jumps, a upB, and a air dodge to recover himself even with missiles flying at him.

Last edited:

MaPow

Smash Apprentice
We should show these comments to Barbie (formerly known as Klit). I'm sure he'd get a kick out of this. ; P

I say this because since I main both Samus and Kirby rather proficiently, if I do say so myself, I have a bias for both of these characters and might like to make a few good corrections.
A land-cancelled missile at the right height can hit a ducking kirby. Shielding should be done at those times. And although powershielding can be a boon, reflecting the missile is unlikely so it shouldn't be expected.

Although a recovering Samus is simply dealt with by kirby on paper, actually hitting a samus as she recovers via tether requires timing and placement that kirby won't be able to easily accomplish. Hell, that samus might fire a missile to clear the tether space before actually tethering. I know I do that sometimes, saving my double jump for aftrr firing to see whether I need to fire again or just tether back. Nothing is set in stone in the actual matches.

Kirby's dair to up-smash, huh? I've never tried that. I might, but actually performing the dair to begin with can be tricky. No good samus will just wait for that slow dair, so the practicality of it might be less than kirby's other options. That isn't to say don't use it though. I'm saying that samus can easily punish an aerially approaching kirby, or any character for that matter.

This post sounded a lot like a nicer Klit...
I usually just duck on reaction to a missile that isn't land-cancelled.

the tether recovery can be definitely be tricky with some missiles in the mix, but I'm saying when samus is using her bombs to recover it's not that hard to land a bair and KO her.

Dair->upsmash works like melee puff's does, they have to tumble and you must L-cancel the dair (might have to FF too). I find more use for this because dair can poke shields pretty well.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Dair is pretty slow. The only way I would use Dair is during a FH since you can jump out of it, a HUP! cancel, or after a spotdodge read. Kirby's duck is OP, just no one but us knows that, especially < 30%. :kirby:
Kirby takes alot of patience. I wish I could up my tech skill, though. I'm watching my friend Adam play and this dude is really fast at what he does. He's able to pressure everybody (He shows me what he can do with Kirby). Speed is a key factor, and something I'm not yet able to do. I'm slow compared to him, lol.
Just practice bro! You'll get there. During that really big DDOS attack (dont know if it was the first or not) I seriously just went into training mode and spammed tech skill... in Brawl. I was very slow before. After that, my speed just skyrocketed and carried over to all the smash games.

Last edited:

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Its a good idea, but im sure its not guaranteed. There is little to no hitstun on swallow.

Jethroo

Smash Journeyman
The only problem i see in this is being hit by a random move that they are spamming to escape your inhale, but we swallow people for the powers all the time and escape with out any damage, so why can't we stand still and Utilt? It wont work on every character, but i believe this has untapped potential.
Lol, that has enough hitstun or whatever on the swallow?
Ha, it doesn't have any hitstun I believe, but if it is mixed in it will work well at any % because swallows knockback is always the same even though it varies from character to character.
I doubt that even works against fast fallers. :/
I think it will work great on fast fallers just because they are being it by the utilt before they can react. The swallow isn't techable so even if they touch the ground they can immediately be hit.

Last edited:

SSS

Smash Ace
swallow to upsmash works if they're stupid. if you're fast enough with your shield pressure and swallow immediately you can get it out.

honestly swallow just puts them in a nice position anyway. people usually jump out of swallow instead of attack out (because if they like mashed dair or something that would be stupid because if we spat them out they would die). So if they jump out and we utilt and miss, oh well, they're still in the air (which is where we want them to be) and we won't be punished for utilt. it's worth throwing out.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
I do know that if you jump forward and swallow, they appear diagonally up and behind you, so you can avoid any punishment. And also, I always try to mix up when I spit/swallow. I like sit there and wait for a second or two and do it. Or i turn around once or twice. Walking forward can do the trick too. It basically just mindgames the opponent, and can help with positional advantage, similar to how snake players walk when they grab someone, just with no mine.

Last edited:

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
Start practicing kirby when you can.

Edit---

So, Kirby: Triple Deluxe. 94% Completed. Bonus level and True Arena is hecka hard, but this is the summery of my face altogether when I finished story mode and dedede tour.

I just goddamn adore this game. 6/10ign3easy5me my arse, this game is what I needed It is my new blood and oxygen. I can't let go of it because I grip my 3DS in its tightest position unknown to man. I my teeth has never been clenched so hard ever since I used the hypernova, and the music makes my ears cry in joy, but I'd just die happy if it was orchestrated. I can't be any more happier than I am as a huge kirby fan, even though I don't even have the whole collection and merchandise of this godlike candy-coated dark franchise of a game series known to man. Zelda can't handle this **** and Mario needs improve his intentions in plumbing business. We have a game with a true hero folks.

A true hero that would definitely make me wear pink underwear and clothing if I have to.
A true hero that reaches the beyond the stars and galaxies. This is a masterpiece.

I'm ready to convert to kirbyism. Praise the pink puff in all its glory.

/endvent
I read this post with this music playing in the background and I'll tell you it had feels.

(Yes, I am a Fuzzy Pickler. Look at my name and see that I have a better Final Smash than you. And I have wavebouncing, and 0-death comboes, and better combos and RECOVERY! I am: Lucas.)
*as I run for my life*

FreeGamer

Smash Ace
Kirby games get cuter with every generation. Soon they'll be so adorable that they'll make our eyes fall out. ;_;

G-Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
Sup Peeps, I'm a german smasher and i started to play Project M. My Main in Brawl was Kirby, so thats why i main him in pm as well (and i'm a big fan..lol)
After i nearly got out the pools on a german offline event, i decide to play project m more and wanted to ask how is the ivy & m2 mu for Kirby? (and also sorry for my bad english xd)
Hola. I'm currently the most notable Kirby player in Texas, and have been doing work to make people fear him.

The matchup against Ivysaur can be hard if the player knows how to stay away from your grabs. I have a lot of experience playing against Denti in this one. If you can get a grab, Kirby will CG Ivy from 40% to death consistently. However, Ivy's disjointed moves work really well for keeping Kirby out of range. Make sure you are smart using your side cutter off stage. If Ivy gets a small hit and you lose your jumps, you're dead.

Against M2, your followups from d-throw and lower percentages are helpful. Uair is Kirby's most important move in this matchup. It can combo into itself if you read the DI correctly at lower percentages and depending on the stage, will kill at modest percentages due to his floatiness. Also catching his teleport with your nair is really effective if they become predictable.

Last edited:

Jethroo

Smash Journeyman
The ganon match up I think is in kirby's favor just because he can edgeguard ganon pretty easily. However, if kirby isn't careful ganon can kill him very early. Kirby has to know the spacing for this fight and not underestimate the range of ganon's Bair and Fair. If ganon is a forward B spammer you just have to to dash dance and space it right then punish.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Any of you try Smash 4 Kirby? I like him except for the unnecessary nerfs to aerial Hammer. :(
Kirby better still be able to hammer edge cancel or ima be upset lol. I havent played him yet, but a lot of people say hes really good... especially with that u-throw killer.

FreeGamer

Smash Ace
His aerials are as good as ever, and U-Air is even better at juggling than it was in Brawl. I really don't like the lag they added to all his B moves though... good luck ever landing a Hammer or Kirbycide. >__<

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I feel better about him.

Captain Falcon is a tough character to play against. I fortunately got to play against someone who's more concerned about being technical than the match at hand. I was able to read him.

pinkdeaf1

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0387-9018-0614
His aerials are as good as ever, and U-Air is even better at juggling than it was in Brawl. I really don't like the lag they added to all his B moves though... good luck ever landing a Hammer or Kirbycide. >__<
All you need is a good read. not that they are easy to make. Kirbycide is useful for people who stay close to the edge or try to edgeguard you. Otherwise, a good throw over the edge is your best bet. Hammer hit predictable recoveries as well as the who like to short hop their way in.It Iis even better against those with short limbs like luigi or jigglypuff.

Anyway, I came here to hate on toon link. Kirby vs
Toon Link is ridiculous. You have to vome in from above if you come in at all. Even then, that toon link has to make a mistakee before you can hurt him. I don't need tips. I just want confirmation that Toon link can best kirby over half of the time.

Kaysick

Smash Journeyman
All you need is a good read. not that they are easy to make. Kirbycide is useful for people who stay close to the edge or try to edgeguard you. Otherwise, a good throw over the edge is your best bet. Hammer hit predictable recoveries as well as the who like to short hop their way in.It Iis even better against those with short limbs like luigi or jigglypuff.

Anyway, I came here to hate on toon link. Kirby vs
Toon Link is ridiculous. You have to vome in from above if you come in at all. Even then, that toon link has to make a mistakee before you can hurt him. I don't need tips. I just want confirmation that Toon link can best kirby over half of the time.
Yes the Tink MU is in Tink's favor. I can't even get a decent lead or keep up when I face Lazarond. I basically just go Meta Knight for him Tink's projectile game is really good, Tink is a floaty killer, and Tink is basically as tall as Kirby so ducking really doesn't do much.

FreeGamer

Smash Ace
So you've played more Smash 4 Kirby than I have? Tell me more.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Im likin' the way Chu is playing at tonights Xanadu. Im getting back my mad respect that I had of his Kirby in Brawl. I dont get that "omg, stop doing that chu you suck" feeling that I was getting before. He's playing more like me minus my flash and gimmicks, but that probably comes from experience and smarts. I wonder if he's been reading the PM Kirby boards lol.

Last edited:
Top Bottom