• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby Everything -- Kirby Social Thread

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
:kirby2:Kirby wants to save :dk2:DK or not?
I think it depends. Inhaling DK is pretty damn good, but Kirby should have some combos that set DK up for a big punch, too. If you know the combos to set up for it, I say take the power.

Jethroo

Smash Journeyman
I have started to notice that a lot of people i have played against didn't realize that kirby can airdodge out of cutter dash (upB that goes sideways). So, just throwing it out there. It is very useful.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
So I'm here to request something of the PM:BR. This goddamn dash attack is the dumbest thing I've ever seen in my life /hyperbolic

But seriously, there's something wrong with a move that goes half of BF, is nearly unpunishable on whiff, shield, CC, and it ****ing CLANKS with smashes.

I literally baited it out once, predicted it perfectly and tried to Link Dsmash him out of it. *clank*

Are you serious? Also sick of predicting it perfectly and spacing it out then trying to punish immediately only for him to either immediately hit me or spot dodge my "punish" THEN hit me because of the nonexistent ending lag. I literally was playing Marth, wavedashed back in anticipation so he went right in front of me then grabbed at the end and he spot dodged me. You can say I grabbed too late, and I did, but it was nearly immediately after he stopped moving and the hitbox was nullified. I hate being punished for making correct reads and spacing well. This move is absolutely stupid. It isn't stupid in the manner that it can completely dominate matchups, nor that it leads to ridiculous **** in practice but in the sense that it's way too goddamn fail safe. I seriously hope this move will be toned down simply for being obnoxious.

Jethroo

Smash Journeyman
1. Link's grab can grab kirby in the middle of his dash attack.
2. Link's UpB will destory kirby in his dash attack.
3. Link's projectiles stop it.

Also, I have been hit several times by marth's forward smash using kirby's dash attack and pretty sure marth's dtilt would stop it easily.

Kirby's dash attack does work in tourney's, but if you try to rely on it heavily or use it stupidly you will be punished over and over again hard. It is very good, but no more OP than link's boomerang.

Last edited:

Roski

Smash Rookie
Mang. There's like no Kirby players. I'm trying to find guides/videos nothing really. Guess I have to experiment myself.

Jethroo

Smash Journeyman
Kirby was add in Project M not to long ago, so there isn't much out yet for him. For a lot of the project m characters there are not any guides yet and not many people are willing to put in the time to put together a guide.

The most "notable" player who uses kirby right now is chudat and he does have a good bit of game play video's on youtube that you can watch. So, if your looking for videos his are probably the easiest to find and watch.

Roski

Smash Rookie
Yeah, I saw the Chudat one, all that video tells me is that Kirby struggles :3 Yoshi wasn't added that long ago either, but he has much more discussion going on. I'm waiting for a big tournament that has Kurbs :3

Jethroo

Smash Journeyman
I missed inhale on samus and twice samus fired a hard hitting missile and I notice that when inhale is stopping kirby ducks a little allowing the missile to fly over kirby's head.

Spralwers

Smash Ace
Tried out Kirby the other day and I'm hooked. This character's potential is crazy ridiculous. After maining Ganon, playing Kirby feels like taking off weighted clothing. All the weaknesses I have as a Ganon main are basically solved with Kirby, and yet I still retain most of his biggest strengths (strong attacks and a command grab that goes through shields). Kirby does die more easily but he is also much harder to gimp, so that balances out. I will always play Ganon, cuz I like big guys with purple fire and all that powah, but Kirby is definitely gonna be a secondary or a co-main. Looking forward to joining you guys on advancing his meta.

I also don't like watching Chu either. I only watch him for ideas that I can incorporate into my own game.

Last edited:

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I love how Kirby is actually viable, now. I mained as him in smash 64, but boy was a disappointed when I could not win a damn thing in melee. I ended up going with Marth (not a bad choice, right). And I suppose Kirby was viable in barwl, but I hated that game immensely aside from the single player aspect. This, though. Amazing job.

Kirby still has his shortcomings and uphill battles, but they're something I can deal with more now than before. I just wish more could be done to give him an edge, but I got more than I could ask for.

EDIT: I also find inhale is pretty awesome, especially when used on opponents off the the stage, but I keep flubbin up. Sometimes I exhale and they are able to get back and I end up wasting a stock, or I take them out with me. I'd like to find a way to get this to work so I can do it without losing a stock. Best I can think of is when facing the stage. That's difficult for me because I have to assume where they're going to go. More so that if I were facing away from the stage.

Last edited:

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
I love how Kirby is actually viable, now. I mained as him in smash 64, but boy was a disappointed when I could not win a damn thing in melee. I ended up going with Marth (not a bad choice, right). And I suppose Kirby was viable in barwl, but I hated that game immensely aside from the single player aspect. This, though. Amazing job.

Kirby still has his shortcomings and uphill battles, but they're something I can deal with more now than before. I just wish more could be done to give him an edge, but I got more than I could ask for.

EDIT: I also find inhale is pretty awesome, especially when used on opponents off the the stage, but I keep flubbin up. Sometimes I exhale and they are able to get back and I end up wasting a stock, or I take them out with me. I'd like to find a way to get this to work so I can do it without losing a stock. Best I can think of is when facing the stage. That's difficult for me because I have to assume where they're going to go. More so that if I were facing away from the stage.
I find it best to use inhale as a mixup for an aerial. Say if the opponent thinks im going to approach with SH N-air or come down with a B-air/D-air or whatever I mix it up with an inhale to catch them by surprise, and depending who it is I either copy them or spit them out. Against fast fallers inhale gimping is extremely powerful, since their first reaction is to mash out from the inhale, letting them fall do their deaths. Also to get people under the stage, do it after hanging on the edge and punishing their landing that way. Once they are under, try to u-air them if they tech it doesnt really do anything.
@ Roski Roski Ill make some guides eventually if no one else beats me to it.
@ E EmptySky00 I actually agree with you on that. Dash attack seems way to "noob" friendly, enough to the point where you could almost just spam that move and you could win against someone a lot better than you. It does need some toning down. I hate seeing Kirbys in tourney on every stream I go to almost always approach with dash attack... and on top of that always recover with CD which is soo predictable I cringe when I watch them. DA needs more ending lag, and other things on him need to be buffed slightly

Last edited:

Jethroo

Smash Journeyman
What Gohan said vs fast fallers. One of the people I play against plays fox and he hates it when he wiggles out of inhale off the edge and by time he realizes it he has to fire fox and then meets kirby's Dair in his face. Anyone say 0% gimp?

Jethroo

Smash Journeyman
When they wiggle out it sends them out at a downward angle. Add this to people spamming buttons to get out and fastfalling equals death or terrible positions that kirby can take advantage of that leads to death. That and sometimes against players who don't know not to air dodge while trying to escape grabs will air dodge off the edge and die.

MrDrJacob

Smash Rookie
NNID
MisterJacob
After watching Chu, I noticed that he uses dashes very sparingly. Whether that's to prove you can win without it or not, it's really frustrating to watch Chu miss super open combo opportunities.

lightdasher

Smash Lord
I'm just going to roll into this thread and state I don't like how PM did Kirby.

I'll write out more why in a bit, either editing this post or making another if someone replies.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Honestly, if I were to make any changes to Kirby it would be mainly in his Copy Abilities, other than that...

Up-air doesn't seem to send them at the same angles as in melee. PM Kirby's up-air mainly sends you either up, or backwards as a semi spike. In Melee, up-air was a lot like Ganon's but with smaller range, where it could send you forward pretty easily.
Also give DA a little more ending lag (yes I know it isnt a broken move, yes I know it can be punished.), not by much but just a little more.
Also, U-throw should have more knockback growth. Being roughly the same at low %s as it is now. And being able to kill at around 130% on mid-weights.
@ lightdasher lightdasher I would actually like to see that, there's probably a lot of things that I just look over. Also there were things they put into the game that I just accepted, like Hammer.

Last edited:

lightdasher

Smash Lord
Excluding what I said in the copy ability thread, some changes I'd do for Kirby would be

Give Hammer super armor upon swinging it (but not after swinging it of course), and down B should spike.

This is more of a personal request and something to differentiate it from Brawl, but what about making the dash attack wheel Kirby? Either that or make the fire linger a little bit.

MrDrJacob

Smash Rookie
NNID
MisterJacob
Excluding what I said in the copy ability thread, some changes I'd do for Kirby would be

Give Hammer super armor upon swinging it (but not after swinging it of course), and down B should spike.

This is more of a personal request and something to differentiate it from Brawl, but what about making the dash attack wheel Kirby? Either that or make the fire linger a little bit.
Kirby's standing hammer has incredible knockback. Giving it super armor would be handy, but would be a little unbalanced unless they extend the lag time greatly. As for the dash, that move lingers pretty long to begin with. Are you talking about the hitbox of the attack or the fire animation?

HMWii22

BRoomer
BRoomer
Considering how safe and repeatable downB is I just don't think it needs to be a spike. That sounds like a nightmare for anyone with a low recovery.

And the super armor on hammer just isn't needed. If you want that, go play Bowser. Otherwise don't poorly space your attacks and you shouldn't need it.

Last edited:

Kaysick

Smash Journeyman
Anyone else getting Kirby Triple Deluxe? Makes me want to kick butt with Kirby even more in PM. Need to bring my plushie more often.

Attachments

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Yeah lightdash... sorry but i gotta side with HMWii on this one. You shouldnt really use the grounded hammer unless you Know you're gonna hit with it... like say only after an 100% for sure read, or after moves like Mewtwo's or ZSS copied specials (which is one of the reason's i think those copy abilities are so good, but thats not all the reasons). Giving it super armor would be broken if hammer stays the way it is now. They would have to completely revamp that move to give it much less knockback or much more end lag (or both) to balance that out. The whole concept of super armor really doesnt seem right for Melee like games. Certain moves such as Yoshi's DJ or Kirby's Rock (or any move that previously had them ie Giant punch) should have them imo, but not for anything else... and if they do have it, it should be there only for a few frames (a lot less than now). And for rock, I use to think the same thing but I then figured out how bad of a design that would be. If it was a really weak meteor... then maybe, but id doubt that would be any better. Or maybe it could spike at the very beginning the same frame Kirby starts dropping, but i doubt thatll get in either. Kirby already has d-air > footstool essentially making that a spike... kinda. Ill make a list right now on whether I think the move should change or not, whether i post it on the boards is undecided.

On a different note, someone post the frame data somewhere. Im too lazy to use Brawlbox.

Last edited:

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Anyone else getting Kirby Triple Deluxe? Makes me want to kick butt with Kirby even more in PM. Need to bring my plushie more often.
I just bought it today, alongside a reservation with SSB3DS at Game Stop.
I can't play it yet though since I just bought Super Mario 3D Land this week on monday; I'm already near 100% Completion.

Last edited:

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
I forgot I was going to buy smash bros in digital format.

Now I need to go back to gamestop. Also, the games fun, plus there's more to triple deluxe than meets the eye.

Last edited:

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Someone find the frame data for this *****. I tried, but my Brawlbox keeps crashing

Kaysick

Smash Journeyman
Someone find the frame data for this *****. I tried, but my Brawlbox keeps crashing
Thats because Kirby breaks Brawl Box when you load his stuff, sadly. I have no clue how we'll get his frame data.

skellitorman

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, if I were to make any changes to Kirby it would be mainly in his Copy Abilities, other than that...

Also give DA a little more ending lag (yes I know it isnt a broken move, yes I know it can be punished.), not by much but just a little more.
Also, U-throw should have more knockback growth. Being roughly the same at low %s as it is now. And being able to kill at around 130% on mid-weights.
Giving his dash attack more ending lag is a bad idea with the way Kirby is now. One of Kirby’s biggest weaknesses was his lack of mobility which was properly addressed with the addition of his dash attack among a few other things.

At top level play I doubt that players will find this move more difficult to deal with than many other more powerful tools that many other characters have. Should a Kirby player misuse the move at such a level, it could easily cost them a stock. Good Kirby players who use this move will therefore want to use it properly.

It also helps significantly in a lot of matches where he clearly has a significant disadvantage.

Although I would love for U throw to have killing potential, it can combo against fast fallers into U air at killing percents and can be used for comboing at specific percents. I personally think that U throw and F throw should deal a little more damage though.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Start practicing kirby when you can.

Edit---

So, Kirby: Triple Deluxe. 94% Completed. Bonus level and True Arena is hecka hard, but this is the summery of my face altogether when I finished story mode and dedede tour.

I just goddamn adore this game. 6/10ign3easy5me my arse, this game is what I needed It is my new blood and oxygen. I can't let go of it because I grip my 3DS in its tightest position unknown to man. I my teeth has never been clenched so hard ever since I used the hypernova, and the music makes my ears cry in joy, but I'd just die happy if it was orchestrated. I can't be any more happier than I am as a huge kirby fan, even though I don't even have the whole collection and merchandise of this godlike candy-coated dark franchise of a game series known to man. Zelda can't handle this **** and Mario needs improve his intentions in plumbing business. We have a game with a true hero folks.

A true hero that would definitely make me wear pink underwear and clothing if I have to.
A true hero that reaches the beyond the stars and galaxies. This is a masterpiece.

I'm ready to convert to kirbyism. Praise the pink puff in all its glory.

/endvent

Last edited:

Jethroo

Smash Journeyman
Sounds really fun, but please don't convert/start a kirby religion. We can't have people eating other people to gain their powers and kirbyciding.

MaPow

Smash Apprentice
whatsup kirbys! I'm trying to take PM more seriously now and i feel like kirby is really good. I've been playing melee puff for a while, and i dont really perform as well with her in PM. Kirby's kirbycide is really annoying and i love it so are there any good videos or good threads that can help me get to tournament level?

Kaysick

Smash Journeyman
whatsup kirbys! I'm trying to take PM more seriously now and i feel like kirby is really good. I've been playing melee puff for a while, and i dont really perform as well with her in PM. Kirby's kirbycide is really annoying and i love it so are there any good videos or good threads that can help me get to tournament level?
http://smashboards.com/threads/p-m-kirby-video-archive-review-and-critique.344870/#post-16270305
Also watch ChuDat and Tetraflora matches. ChuDat is a more patient player but Tetraflora plays a lot more aggressive and really uses Kirby's moveset and gimps to his advantage.

2Mixer

Smash Apprentice
Sup Peeps, I'm a german smasher and i started to play Project M. My Main in Brawl was Kirby, so thats why i main him in pm as well (and i'm a big fan..lol)
After i nearly got out the pools on a german offline event, i decide to play project m more and wanted to ask how is the ivy & m2 mu for Kirby? (and also sorry for my bad english xd)

Jethroo

Smash Journeyman
Sup Peeps, I'm a german smasher and i started to play Project M. My Main in Brawl was Kirby, so thats why i main him in pm as well (and i'm a big fan..lol)
After i nearly got out the pools on a german offline event, i decide to play project m more and wanted to ask how is the ivy & m2 mu for Kirby? (and also sorry for my bad english xd)
Always nice to have more kirby mains. For tournament level ivy and M2 i can't really help you much since i have never played one. I do know that ivysaur power is 1 shot solar beam for kirby.

Love the signature and seeing the word peeps makes me want to eat some....

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Start practicing kirby when you can.

Edit---

So, Kirby: Triple Deluxe. 94% Completed. Bonus level and True Arena is hecka hard, but this is the summery of my face altogether when I finished story mode and dedede tour.

I just goddamn adore this game. 6/10ign3easy5me my arse, this game is what I needed It is my new blood and oxygen. I can't let go of it because I grip my 3DS in its tightest position unknown to man. I my teeth has never been clenched so hard ever since I used the hypernova, and the music makes my ears cry in joy, but I'd just die happy if it was orchestrated. I can't be any more happier than I am as a huge kirby fan, even though I don't even have the whole collection and merchandise of this godlike candy-coated dark franchise of a game series known to man. Zelda can't handle this **** and Mario needs improve his intentions in plumbing business. We have a game with a true hero folks.

A true hero that would definitely make me wear pink underwear and clothing if I have to.
A true hero that reaches the beyond the stars and galaxies. This is a masterpiece.

I'm ready to convert to kirbyism. Praise the pink puff in all its glory.

/endvent
Best.Post.Ever.

Top Bottom