• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

King Dedede in 2v2 Battles

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
I've seen lots of good discussion about Dedede's metagame, recovery, etc. However, I use Dedede a lot in 2v2 battles as well, and I don't think his doubles strategies should be ignored. So, if anyone is willing to help me out in coming up with 2v2 strategies, post here!

sMexy-Blu

Smash Lord
DeDeDe and his partner can abuse the chaingrab really well against a lot of characters, When your opponent's enemy is dead you just practically gotta chaingrab him till your partner kills him, GG.

Waddle Dee's are best used in Doubles IMO because when you throw a Waddle Dee it will stay there most likely doing random stuff and sometimes they'll even KO your opponent or mess there recovery,

Partner grab release -> Into Hammer is epic.

Mythic02

Smash Journeyman
Don't forget the possiblity of a fallthrough glitch. :) Man would they be pissed if you use that.

Also in 2 vs. 2's Start out with a waddle dee in case of excessive projectile spamming. I try to take center stage right away in case the partner isn't paying attention or is charging something. Don't be afraid to be a human shield in this because it is a good chance dedede is the heavier of the 2. When people edgehog your partner try to WoP the hogger/guarder to allow your opponent to recover. This is crucial since you have awesome recovering skills while your partner might not.

And yeah chain grabs to partner kills are often the way to go. Don't forget to rack up damage when your partner is just holding someone. Shield don't dodge and, yeah just go with your gut.

Vayseth

Smash Master
lain and Judge! combo ftw. I'll have lain tell you guys if he wants.

Best thing to do with D3 is run around spamming grab and bair. Chain grab opponents and if you see their partner coming forward or back throw them into the partner so they both get hit. Grabs + bair = d3 doubles. Use up tilt to kill ONLY. It's your best kill move in doubles and likely where you will get a lot of your early kills. If you are super high in percent (likely) use a Dededecide. Gettting a dedecide on someone when you have 3 stocks and they have 2 can REALLY end a match for the other team.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
So I herd fsmash in doubles isn't that bad. Is that true?

sMexy-Blu

Smash Lord
Wow, nobody has even mention the MOCKo Combo.. shame on you guys. *facepalm*

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
So I herd fsmash in doubles isn't that bad. Is that true?
Yeah, if both enemies are off stage and Dedede's partner tries to attack them, they won't be paying attention to Dedede charging his smash. And they're really screwed if they have to use thier up-b. So it's not that bad.

And what's the MOCKo combo?

Taeran

Smash Journeyman
You can get a grab from a tripping move, like D3's bair...at low percents.

ANTi_

Smash Hero
Snake + DDD Combo

DDD --> D-Throw
Snake --> F-smash

getsemeverytime:)

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Snake + DDD Combo

DDD --> D-Throw
Snake --> F-smash

getsemeverytime:)
You could also do Snake Dthrow -> Dedede Fsmash.
You could also do Dedede dthrow -> Snake dthrow
You could also do Snake fsmash -> Dedede fsmash
In theory

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Ok, what about more general things, like whether to play him defensively or offensively? It kind of seems like it would be hard to pull off that combo unless one of the opponents was dead.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Pokemon Trainer.
Squirtle to keep em annoyed, water gun em into forward smash
Then when only one is left, ivysaur, his bullet seed makes a wall for you to chain grab off of :)

sMexy-Blu

Smash Lord
I use my opponent to kill his partner with inhale, works well for me.

If my partner lost all his stocks I start planking like ****ing Plank.

kthxbai

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
I hate to say it... but Dedede's usually pretty screwed in 1 on 2. Unless:

-His two opponents have high damage and are on their last lives
-He has 2 or more stock left and can share stock
-One opponent kills the other one

That's what I think, anyway.

daisho

Smash Lord
I hate to say it... but Dedede's usually pretty screwed in 1 on 2. Unless:

-His two opponents have high damage and are on their last lives
-He has 2 or more stock left and can share stock
-One opponent kills the other one

That's what I think, anyway.
Don't forget, one opponent is mid percent and is light (u tilt ftw) and the other is an infinitable character.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I think I meant to add this to my directory thread but forgot.

My bad.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
So...
what about matchups?

Who are good partners (good for combos or just good in general)? What teams are tough matchups?

sMexy-Blu

Smash Lord
D3 - DK. Normally a good team, both live long and both are too strong.

D3 - MK is probably the most broken team in brawl.

SSJ5Goku8932

Smash Lord
2 DDD's

Perfectly place them,try to have both of them grab a charcter.

Chain wall to utilt death both oppenents.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
D3 - DK. Normally a good team, both live long and both are too strong.

D3 - MK is probably the most broken team in brawl.
Yeah, that's probably two pretty good teams.

2 DDD's

Perfectly place them,try to have both of them grab a charcter.

Chain wall to utilt death both oppenents.
That could work... but you'd pretty much have to grab them at the same time.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Nice vids. So I guess Snake is a pretty good partner... so why'd you change your character to MetaKnight?

lain

Smash Master
DDD is really good on teams unless the team is like double metaknight, or metaknight [insert annoying character against ddd here].

For teams like that I just go metaknight now, because ddd against metaknight(s) on teams can be annoying at times. tornado is gay as hell. but if it's like metaknight snake i'd go ddd. it just depends on what the OTHER character is.

ddd's dthrow cg team combos are super abusable, and you can always let your partner grab release into your utilt or something.

ftilt can just disrupt things for your partner if they are looking a little messy. ddd also lives til forever, while being able to gimp pretty much anything.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
King Dedede can help with partner's recovery with fast-falling neutral air to make the partner's knockback go up. (Especially Olimar as a partner.)
That's true.

DDD is really good on teams unless the team is like double metaknight, or metaknight [insert annoying character against ddd here].

For teams like that I just go metaknight now, because ddd against metaknight(s) on teams can be annoying at times. tornado is gay as hell. but if it's like metaknight snake i'd go ddd. it just depends on what the OTHER character is.

ddd's dthrow cg team combos are super abusable, and you can always let your partner grab release into your utilt or something.

ftilt can just disrupt things for your partner if they are looking a little messy. ddd also lives til forever, while being able to gimp pretty much anything.
I hate mk...

Instead of having this thread just to help me (although I'm happy to get advice:)) I had other things in mind. I made this to be more of a general discussion area for 2v2 strategies, possibly even resulting in a simple 2v2 guide. I'm still open to good advice, but actual discussion would be good as well.

Top Bottom