• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

KGD - The Kewkky Thread! - Kirby's Wasteland: Dead Social

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
Hahaha, WTF??? I suck! :laugh:
i dont laugh at small things like color blindness. After going to class with a guy that was partially blind and had color blindness its something i take to in a mature manner. Since i helped the guy recognize colors he couldnt see very well

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
i dont laugh at small things like color blindness. After going to class with a guy that was partially blind and had color blindness its something i take to in a mature manner. Since i helped the guy recognize colors he couldnt see very well
Aw that's so nice! It's people like you that make a difference in the world or at least make someone elses a little better. I salute you, man.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
Aw that's so nice! It's people like you that make a difference in the world or at least make someone elses a little better. I salute you, man.
its art college..so..its really necessary to have it. Believe it or not he said it had it listed as a in class disability. So in design class teachers would work with him carefully to help show him how to work the colors in with the assignment. :( Its a really stupid genetic disorder guys have. Since they're so many pretty colors in the world they're forced to miss out on.

I plan on writing up a color thread for competitive smash here soon, once i get it up take a look at it since i'll be addressing color blindness. As i honestly believe it plays into how a match is played.

Fixed for accuracy.

Yes, it's a female DDD mainer. Amazing, huh? :p
fogo is still in utter disbelief

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
Fixed for accuracy.

Yes, it's a female DDD mainer. Amazing, huh? :p
fogo is still in utter disbelief
Dark 3nergy?? X_x asdfj;lk
Gurl Powa FTW!

its art college..so..its really necessary to have it. Believe it or not he said it had it listed as a in class disability. So in design class teachers would work with him carefully to help show him how to work the colors in with the assignment. :( Its a really stupid genetic disorder guys have. Since they're so many pretty colors in the world they're forced to miss out on.

I plan on writing up a color thread for competitive smash here soon, once i get it up take a look at it since i'll be addressing color blindness. As i honestly believe it plays into how a match is played.
Whoa +1 on the guys persistance! Also, yeah, it kinda does, though, mostly when items are turned on... It's not that I see black and white, it's just, I don't know, it's wierd to explain... I guess this is why my favorite colors are those that are solid, deep colors like Cherry Red and Navy Blue.

I have a friend who is color blind, and wanted to study graphic arts, but because of his disability, he stuck to programming. :/

He was really good too..., but he thought it would have been too much of a hassle, and it would be for the rest of his life, so he decided against it.

Mr.Freeman

Smash Ace
Thats depressing.

Makes me think if I had a disability like that. I'm just really weak and scrawny.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
I have a friend who is color blind, and wanted to study graphic arts, but because of his disability, he stuck to programming. :/

He was really good too..., but he thought it would have been too much of a hassle, and it would be for the rest of his life, so he decided against it.
I dont see why he wouldnt be able too. As long as he has a medical record proving he has it, the school has to assist in helping him through his assignments.

Dark 3nergy?? X_x asdfj;lk
Gurl Powa FTW!

Whoa +1 on the guys persistance! Also, yeah, it kinda does, though, mostly when items are turned on... It's not that I see black and white, it's just, I don't know, it's wierd to explain... I guess this is why my favorite colors are those that are solid, deep colors like Cherry Red and Navy Blue.
I think i kinda know what its like. You just cant see the full spectrum of colors because you lack the color receptors or chemicals in the eye to do so.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f7/US_Flag_color_blind.png

^^^ this image is a great way of showing the different types of color blindness in one image using similar colors and a similar object. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_blindness Farther down the page it lists more color examples.

this is interesting

Color blindness is sometimes classed as a disability, however, in certain situations color blind individuals have an advantage over those with normal color vision. There are some studies which conclude that color blind individuals are better at penetrating certain color camouflages and it has been suggested that this may be the evolutionary explanation for the surprisingly high frequency of congenital red-green colour blindness.[2]
so by that it means color blinded peoples of the red-green classification can see through optical camouflage. This could mean alot of different things for competitive smash too...interesting

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
You know what really sucks? People who have a medical disability, refuse to be treated for it due to the psychological effects it might have on friends (one day he's your average guy, the next he's got a legal disability), and then do bad in school because of it.

I know someone like that, and I'm not gonna list names... All I'm going to say is that it truly is sad.

Ninja Kirby Nick!

Smash Lord
That's not what your mother said last night Trebek
I'm actually one of those peoples >_>.

Anyway, I beat Lance last night :D! I barely trained my Pokemon except for Slowbro and mostly wandered around >_>. I taught my Ho-Oh Earthquake, which REALLY helped me alot ^_^. I also ditched Blizzard for Avalanche, which helped me bigtime, as Slowbro is a very slooow pokemon.

I have to thank my lvl.36 Seel for killing the Lvl. 50 Dragonite for me, since it used Ice Shard, and Dragonite had very low heath xD. And my Slowbro...I had to revive him twice, but he creamed the Dragonites for me :).

And now I'm waiting for my little brother to come home so that I can use his DS and trade all of my Pokemon to my game :p.

Here's my Pokemon Levels now!

Crobat: Lvl 42 (Helped me alot against Bruno)
Meganium Lvl 41 (Helped me alot with the Karen)
Dewgong Lvl 40 (Helped me cream a Dragonite ^_^)
Ho-Oh Lvl 48 (Helped me with Bruno AND the Karen)
Magneton Lvl 41 (Helped me with Will and Lance some.)
Slowbro Lvl 49 (Helped me BEAT THE GAME OH YEEAAH!)

So basically, all of my Pokemon have helped me in some way, shape, or form :chuckle:.

I dont see why he wouldnt be able too. As long as he has a medical record proving he has it, the school has to assist in helping him through his assignments.
He could get though school with it, but he isn't gonna have someone holding his hand while he works every step of the way until he retires. Like I said, it's a hassle (at least to him), so he stuck with programming, which he's really good in, and enjoys.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
oh welp if he enjoys doing that then might as well. You should tell him to at least still practice art maybe as a side gig. Its always a great way to earn alittle extra $$ if hes good at it.

You know what really sucks? People who have a medical disability, refuse to be treated for it due to the psychological effects it might have on friends (one day he's your average guy, the next he's got a legal disability), and then do bad in school because of it.

I know someone like that, and I'm not gonna list names... All I'm going to say is that it truly is sad.
I took Adderal for ADHD[not the player] for several years and havent taken any supplement since college. I suffer from it on a day to day basis, however its something you gotta learn to control through your behavoir/thinking/actions.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I took Adderal for ADHD[not the player] for several years and havent taken any supplement since college. I suffer from it on a day to day basis, however its something you gotta learn to control through your behavoir/thinking/actions.
You gotta learn to control... But part of ADHD is a lack of self-control. So, it's very hard for lots of people. What if, along with ADHD, you had a depression disorder? That would pretty much drive your motivations to the ground, and forcing yourself out of sheer willpower to do things you really don't want to do is going to be very hard.

Sounds like a very tough spot to be in, and also seems like only a very close friend/family member can help the guy help himself.

Ninja Kirby Nick!

Smash Lord
I actually have ADHD and depression ;_;.

I see little to no reason to actually partake in homework now. If it were tests and classwork, I'd get it done, but not homework. And I do try to get better, but it won't be long before I fall back into the same routine.

I almost lost my best friend because of the fact that I don't care for much things anymore v_v.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I actually have ADHD and depression ;_;.

I see little to no reason to actually partake in homework now. If it were tests and classwork, I'd get it done, but not homework. And I do try to get better, but it won't be long before I fall back into the same routine.

I almost lost my best friend because of the fact that I don't care for much things anymore v_v.
EXACTLY what my friend does! Have you ever considered seeking help? I mean, not just psychological, but psychiatrical.

It is truly a sad thing.

Ninja Kirby Nick!

Smash Lord
EXACTLY what my friend does! Have you ever considered seeking help? I mean, not just psychological, but psychiatrical.

It is truly a sad thing.
Well, I used to have help, I took medicene and went to a therapist, but I thought that I would be able to handle the 9th Grade by myself, so I dropped everything >_<.

Nothing TOO bad though, I'm not suffering from any kind of self inflicted harm (cutting), or any kinds of addictions. 'Less you count videogames as one >_>.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Well, I used to have help, I took medicene and went to a therapist, but I thought that I would be able to handle the 9th Grade by myself, so I dropped everything >_<.

Nothing TOO bad though, I'm not suffering from any kind of self inflicted harm (cutting), or any kinds of addictions. 'Less you count videogames as one >_>.
Nah don't worry, I know cutting isn't even something depression patients do regularly. And I'm guessing you play games for some sense of self-gratification? My friend is skinny, but finds eating food and candy very satisfying, so he ends up wasting lots of money on those. Recently he went through $600.00's worth of shopping, and says that even though he wasted so much money, whenever he sees what he bought he feels like it was worth it.

And 9th grade, huh... I hope you get back on your medications when you hit college. Seriously. You'll need it... I mean it.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
O_o

I...don't...understand.

Girl?!
Snake: Colonel what is this?!
Colonel: Snake, what's going on out there? Why haven't you reported in?
Snake: Colonel there's a girl playing video games!
Colonel: Snake, come on now. You know its only silly folk lore. Real women should be in the kitchen making tonight's supper. Not playing some silly games.
Snake: No! Colonel she's reall--

Colonel: Snake? Snake! SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKKKEEEEEEE!!!!

--close comm--
You gotta learn to control... But part of ADHD is a lack of self-control. So, it's very hard for lots of people. What if, along with ADHD, you had a depression disorder? That would pretty much drive your motivations to the ground, and forcing yourself out of sheer willpower to do things you really don't want to do is going to be very hard.

Sounds like a very tough spot to be in, and also seems like only a very close friend/family member can help the guy help himself.
thats the reason why its been difficult for me to get a degree related job with the economy. + the reason why i dont do tournies!

C~Dog

Smash Champion
Sucks you can't get a degree job =/ It's hard enough to find a job without anything like that holding you back. I still have no idea how i'm gonna get a job when my course is done >_>

You should go to tourneys though, just talk to the TO and I'm sure they will help you out. Most TOs I know would be more than willing, myself included.

EDIT: and lol at the codec xD

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
my problem more or less is the field am in. Most 2d/3d animation jobs are out west. We're still recovering from a recession so realistically it wouldnt be a good idea to attempt it. Better to learn a new line of work for 4-5 years then go out to cali or another state when times are better

And ive got like 3 ppls trying to convince me to go to mlg columbus lol >_>

C~Dog

Smash Champion
Yeah, i'm doing 2D animation/concept art, and I though the industry here is fairly strong, its still gonna be really hard to fine a decent job.

Have you been to tourneys before? If you haven't, then maybe it would be better to start off with something smaller. It will be amazing, I would go if I could, but it might not be good to go straight to it if its new to you.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
nope, but they really want me to go. If i typed they're names here they'd name search faster than you can say crickey.

It usually is for 2d stuff, typically here you have to get in as an intern to really make any progress. However the way they trained me in college courses allows for alot of artistic flexibility. For instance, theres a ton of graphic work here, and I was required to take 2 1/2 years of design in college as a pre lude to animation. Yea its not the exact same courses the graphic people take, but it gives me a good grasp on how to properly juxtapose my art work/color section/type face on a page.

C~Dog

Smash Champion
Honestly, I wouldn't recommend making MLG your first tourney experience. It's going to be incredibly crowded, and friggin hectic. You would be better off going to a smaller local tourney (up to like 20 people), where the environment is more personal. The TO can make time for you, plus you can get to know people/talk to them etc. At a tourney like MLG, the TO is most likely not going to have the time to help you out if you need anything, and everyones going to be really busy/hyped up. I run tourneys with ~35 people, and it's hard enough as is for me to make time for individuals. Having 100+ (?) people is going to be almost impossible, even with the addition of TOs.

The large bulk of my course (Multimedia and Digital Arts) is covering all the basic stuff that is included in Multimedia aka using Flash for animation/inerfaces, web design, story telling/narative techiques, graphic design, audio/video recording and production. Next year (3rd year) is when we begin to focus on what we want to do. And we still need to do art theory, which really ****s me since I have almost no interest in it whatsoever >_>

I need to find work experience somewhere, a games company preferably xD

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
2K studios has a Australian branch. They're part of a multi international team that does Bioshock among other games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2K_Games

Name Location Purpose Notes
2K Marin Novato, CA Development -
2K Australia Canberra, ACT Development -
2K West Northridge, CA QA -
Headquarters New York, NY HQ
I've taken the same courses you have sophomore year into junior i took all of those, glad i was required too. Take a art history course or philosophy course you'll love those.

Problem is how do you say no to people that have traveled in from different states just to come see you/play with you? >_> Typically im not a needy person and can fend for myself in large crowds.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
Try to look at getting into that place though. Having played bioshock 1/2 they're both really good games. The thing about 2K is that you'd have to have a portfolio thats tailored to what they're looking for so realism is probably a must.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIopXUPVGFE

The trailer doesnt do the game must justice. Playing it, playing back the diaries and exploring/getting new stuff was super fun. Maybe if you can find a vid of someone playing or finishing bioshock maybe it'll show the ending credits since that had alot of concept work on display

C~Dog

Smash Champion
I would love to do the character design for a game like Bioshock. :O Ideally, I would like to end up working for Blizzard or Nintendo ahaha. I would kill to work on a Zelda game; I just wanna do the bosses :3

I'm not saying don't go at all, just that for your first tourney, a large one like MLG is not going to be as good an experience as a smaller one will be.

EDIT: Also whats it like to travel between states in the US? In terms of time/distance? Here its about $100 and a 90min to travel between the two main Smash states. So far this year there have been OoSers at everyone one of my tourneys, plus a lot from my State have travels for locals in other states.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
depends on air fairs. With a hotel, food, plane tickets, entry fee, mm money its like 700$ easy. Probably, but like i said how do you say no to people that take their time to go there just to see me? That'd be kinda messed up not to show up. I do think small time would be better but i cant seem to care about my region just yet since no one from my region has really took time to make small talk with me.

Nintendos development studios is in japan, thatd be very hard to get in as would blizzard since they're in the USA.

C~Dog

Smash Champion
Hmm yeah true.. What about smaller interstate tourneys?

EDIT: Why must you shatter my dreams so? Dx

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
I'm not, im just saying your better off going to those companies as a well established artist [after 4-6 years experience]. It'd be like committing suicide if you came to the states now. We got alot of stupid politics going on, especially with this new health care system.

Make a plan as to where you want to go in the near future, then a few years down the road if you wanna move to the states to pursue jobs here your more then welcome. BUT HOWEVER if your looking for gaming companies in the USA your either looking at EA [publisher mostly, but makes games like Madden foot ball, tiger woods golf etc] or companies like Rock Star, Valve Corp., 2K, etc. What im trying to say is, if your looking for a game company that does the whole RPG gaming. Its not in the states, its more so japan. States, you'll get into companies that work with the 360[which is why microsoft consoles arent big in japan]. Thus, the main focus of these gaming companies is first person shooters and everything that sort of tags along with that[blood gore] If your not into that type of game making you might be out of luck. But as long as you take everything im saying to heart and seriously consider your opinions as far as the job market goes, i think im doing the right thing by giving you a heads up as to whats over here. It'd be cruel to have you move here only to find out what you want isnt here. This is the reason why im cautiously planning ahead and moving towards graphic design for now. I like FPS and i could get into that, just its not gonna happen soon. Gotta take what i can work with. I mean really, it'd be a crime to tell you other wise. I'm given you the straight up facts about gaming companies over here. RPG games do come out of the states[Metriod Prime came from Retro Studios in Houston, TX but is considered a FPS] however the job market is highly competitive and if you dont have the resources to land it you just wont. Take what you can find in Australia, get some work out, get your name out and maybe in a few years you'll find something.

Imma stress this again and say its important to keep what i just typed in mind. Stay local for a few years trust me you wont kill yourself having to work 2-3 jobs to pay for basic needs.

Welp its either Cincinnati which is 2-3 hours south of here or its Cleveland 2-3 hours north of here. Or columbus which is a 30 minute drive. Or somewhere in between. Thats alotta gas though.

Ladybug

Smash Lord
One: I do Arts and Tech at my school.

Two: Gearbox works directly with my school and they are always hiring.

Three: Blizzard is hiring designers (or was about 4 months ago) for Diablo 3.

Four: I would suggest that you take 3D modeling to something besides games because game design isn't a field you actually need a degree to get into and you have to know how to do everything. And if you do, I suggest you get your Masters in a specialty area like Guildhall offers because Blizzard and Gearbox and ID works closely with them. I am about to go for my masters in Biomedical Illustrations because it's an open field, unlike game design. Not to try and move you if that's what you're super passionate about, but if you are, I suggest you either know everything (level/character design, story development, and some programming) or get a Masters in a specialized area.

Five: if you don't want to go the above route, I suggest you make a super amazing mod (like Portal was) and then people will hire you without a degree.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
EDIT:

Please refrain from comments like this. Thanks.
im allowed to state my political opinion, if you got an problem with it dont beat around the bushes come on out and say it

Four: I would suggest that you take 3D modeling to something besides games because game design isn't a field you actually need a degree to get into and you have to know how to do everything. And if you do, I suggest you get your Masters in a specialty area like Guildhall offers because Blizzard and Gearbox and ID works closely with them. I am about to go for my masters in Biomedical Illustrations because it's an open field, unlike game design. Not to try and move you if that's what you're super passionate about, but if you are, I suggest you either know everything (level/character design, story development, and some programming) or get a Masters in a specialized area.
pretty much this, unless you know someone/get lucky

DE, you don't have to type my name for me to find it lol
so i guess that does make you personal stalker number 2 then

Top Bottom