• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

KGD - The Kewkky Thread! - Kirby's Wasteland: Dead Social

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I never started.

Being sick sucks >=(

I don't feel as crappy as I did this morning so I guess I won't call in sick.

Stupid working 8 days in a row after working 9 days in a row last week.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Stupid working 8 days in a row after working 9 days in a row last week.
9 days in a row last week?

Sunday, monday, tuesday... Wait, a week has 7 days. o_o

Hey guys, I need your help on something... I'd really appreciate it if you could ask the top players in your regions, as well as the TOs who make any tourneys, these questions, and PM me the answers whenever you can:

TOs: "Would you ban MK if a ban criteria is made and MK is found to fit it afterwards? Or would you ban MK despite the process, as long as the SBR recommends MK be banned?"

Top Players: "Would you be willing, in all truthfulness and all bias aside, to play in MK banned tourneys if MK was to be banned if a ban criteria is made and MK is found to fit it afterwards? What about if MK is banned despite this process, if the SBR recommends MK be banned?"

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Actually... universal criterias for banning a character in any competitive game HAVE been made. The thing is, MK doesn't fit in them from what I understood, so people have been trying to make more specific criterias for SSBB, but the thing is nobody seems to agree on those either.

Meh is all I can say. We tried a few here, but it didn't really seem to change much, other than that the MK players placed lower due to having their mains/seconds taken away.

Also, I'm no top player, but if you main MK and MK gets banned, it is impossible to remain unbiased, since your main was just taken away.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Actually... universal criterias for banning a character in any competitive game HAVE been made. The thing is, MK doesn't fit in them from what I understood, so people have been trying to make more specific criterias for SSBB, but the thing is nobody seems to agree on those either.
People want to create a newer, more precise criteria. the current criteria for banning things in Brawl are rather "vague", per sé, so we're exploring our options and seeing how we can fit everything we've banned up until now into the new criteria as well as make it easier to ban things later on.

We have criteria that bans that which is so different from the rest of the elements that it is considered "alien" to the game... Items aren't "alien" to the game, and since then they don't fit that single bit needed for it to be banned, items are banned unjustly (which is why you see lots of people talking about ISP's and complaining about unjustly-banned stages and stages who are more random and dangerous than others which are banned)... We need to avoid these scenarios and just make a newer, more up-to-date criteria that is universally agreed by the ones in charge of making it (as well as the SBR of course). It makes processes like the whole "MK Ban" debate never happen, have reason as to why the community shouldn't be split, and clarifies why is it that elements like MetaKnight should/shouldn't be banned.

Meh is all I can say. We tried a few here, but it didn't really seem to change much, other than that the MK players placed lower due to having their mains/seconds taken away.
That's why, if the ban happens, we're giving players a "grace" period in which to pick up a secondary and learn them, so their tourney performance isn't affected so drastically. They can use MK while learning the characters and playing them in-tourneys, this way they remain placing while learning the newer characters so they don't restart in a whole new metagame, as if they have just lost the 2 years they spent on MK.

Also, I'm no top player, but if you main MK and MK gets banned, it is impossible to remain unbiased, since your main was just taken away.
Sadly, that's all we can do right now. We're asking the players if they would play in MK Banned tourneys if MK was banned (seeing as there's a possibility), to get some feedback from the players... Apparently Overswarm already contacted TOs and several top players, but who knows which players he hasn't asked? So, to make sure no one's opinion is left out, asking everyone again is a good idea.

PS: Did Bunny quit the whole website? I haven't seen a new post from her in a while... So I got curious and went to see when was her last post, and it was like 20 days ago... :|

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Lurking the Kirby Social thread with my rock buds.
I'll ask the top players in my region...probably me, since I'm the only one for several miles. *is caught between laughing and crying*

I just got Scribblenauts, and it's pretty awesome. It was less awesome before I knew that you needed a killer whale to kill those god**** sharks though >.> .

Triple R

Smash Lord
I'm not really into the debate at all, so I really don't have an argument for or against banning metaknight. He just doesn't really bother me as a character in the game. I guess I'm against banning him.

I guess this kinda comes from maining kirby in melee too. Kirby basically has impossible matchups in melee, but I still find myself winning matches despite what the ratios say. I guess my point is I'm just used to challenges in smash, so metaknight doesn't bother me.

TaterSalad0811

Smash Lord
Doing flying chaingrabs across southeast PA
I personally would like a MK ban, though it would only lead to more Snake and Diddys, which near defeats the purpose of having the ban. Not to mention, there would still be MK-allowed tourneys. But if he is banned, I have a humorous response video called "Meta Knight's response to being officially banned". It contains lulz.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
That's why, if the ban happens, we're giving players a "grace" period in which to pick up a secondary and learn them, so their tourney performance isn't affected so drastically. They can use MK while learning the characters and playing them in-tourneys, this way they remain placing while learning the newer characters so they don't restart in a whole new metagame, as if they have just lost the 2 years they spent on MK.
I don't understand this "grace" period thing... That's essentially just setting a date on which it applies. It doesn't change the fact that MK mains need to switch mains and relearn a new character, which will obviously be worse than the one they spent a year and a half playing.

As for playing MK as a secondary during this grace period... that would be for bad matchups that your new main has, or against players you can't handle. Isn't this how a lot of people converted to MK in the first place?
I mean, if they need to use MK to cover a bad MU their new main has, that essentially means that either they need to get incredibly good with their new character, or they need to find both a new main and a secondary during the grace period AND get good enough with both to use them in tournament. If that's the case, than the 'grace period' is pretty much useless.

I just got Scribblenauts, and it's pretty awesome. It was less awesome before I knew that you needed a killer whale to kill those god**** sharks though >.> .
There are other ways to kill them, like torpedoes and megalodons.

That game was awesome, but sadly, it's more of a toy, and as such gets old really quickly.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I'm not really into the debate at all, so I really don't have an argument for or against banning metaknight. He just doesn't really bother me as a character in the game. I guess I'm against banning him.

I guess this kinda comes from maining kirby in melee too. Kirby basically has impossible matchups in melee, but I still find myself winning matches despite what the ratios say. I guess my point is I'm just used to challenges in smash, so metaknight doesn't bother me.
My mind on Meta Knight is like this to. I wish I could win all of Kirby's worst match up on Melee, Peach and Marth is just ****ing gay when you have Kirby in Melee. )=

Triple R

Smash Lord
A1's post count in this thread got too close to mines, I should post more often.... anyways..... seeing how Kirby games aren't coming out right now makes me think this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSH_kRN3keM&NR=1
wow, i'm a bad kirby fan. I didn't even know this game existed. I'm surprised they haven't tried porting this to the wii and just use the wiimote. Sad days to be a kirby fan. Hasn't been a console game since 64....

A1lion835

Smash Champion
A1's post count in this thread got too close to mines, I should post more often.... anyways..... seeing how Kirby games aren't coming out right now makes me think this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSH_kRN3keM&NR=1
35 34 is close? :p

wow, i'm a bad kirby fan. I didn't even know this game existed. I'm surprised they haven't tried porting this to the wii and just use the wiimote. Sad days to be a kirby fan. Hasn't been a console game since 64....
I didn't know it existed either O_o .

It doesn't exactly look action-packed, though when has that ever been an attribute of kirby games?

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I don't understand this "grace" period thing... That's essentially just setting a date on which it applies. It doesn't change the fact that MK mains need to switch mains and relearn a new character, which will obviously be worse than the one they spent a year and a half playing.

As for playing MK as a secondary during this grace period... that would be for bad matchups that your new main has, or against players you can't handle. Isn't this how a lot of people converted to MK in the first place?
I mean, if they need to use MK to cover a bad MU their new main has, that essentially means that either they need to get incredibly good with their new character, or they need to find both a new main and a secondary during the grace period AND get good enough with both to use them in tournament. If that's the case, than the 'grace period' is pretty much useless.
The point of the grace period is to give them some time to learn how to use their new main, while still giving them a reason to stay playing Brawl. It's letting the banhammer down softly, we don't want anyone overwhelmed by entering a tourney with NOTHING at all to depend on, as if they just jumped in the game with no legit experience (like wifi players in their first offline tourney). Letting them use MK for a month or two (or less, who knows?) will help them realize which MUs their new chosen mains will cause them problems, as well as not make them feel like giving up the game by placing dead last and feeling like it's hopeless.

I personally have no problem with MK either, I play a lot against MKs here in PR so I know the MU really well. Only thing I dislike about MK is how his inherent traits allow for all sorts of pseudo-stalling tactics, so even if we say Kirby is slightly disadvantaged, a planking+scrooging+dair camping+platform camping MK will still be out of our reach. And since these strategies are pseudo-stalling and as such can be confused for "smart camping" and "bait-and-punishment tactics", people decided to just not mess around with those foggy topics before a clear point between both stalling and camping can be found THAT INCLUDES telling apart when these tactics are used to stall from when these tactics are used to camp/bait.

And I want a new Kirby game ASAP. :mad::mad::mad:

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Kwk, I agree with those tactics being the problem. We need to find some way to limit that without banning the character IMO, especially since there are other characters who can do that (though not quite as effectively).

Also, I didn't know there was a 2nd tilt'n'tumble! I do want!

TaterSalad0811

Smash Lord
There was a first?

Personally, I prefer the air I like traditional kirby games more, just 2-d sidescrollers with catchy background music and that cool thing that happens when you eat 2 enemies that give different powers at the same time, and then I usually get the Laser and I'm all like, "SUCK ON THIS, PAINTER BOY!!" I never did like that boss, he was just annoying.

A1lion835

Smash Champion
So, I brawled for the first time in forever (probably first for 2010 O_o) against some guy on AiB. He was way better than me and used fox and snake, so it wasn't made easier by matchups >.> .

So, for one game, he had been snake for a while, so I went JJ, but he switched to fox and ***** me pretty hard, up 2 stocks to 1 with less %. Then I kirbycided him into the water (I was at the third ledge from the right, facing left) and he got klaptrap gayed. And then I did the same thing on the far left ledge and won and was liek "epic replay is epic" and saved it :D .
Yes, I just implied that kirby vs fox is even or in fox's favor.

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
Kwk, I agree with those tactics being the problem. We need to find some way to limit that without banning the character IMO, especially since there are other characters who can do that (though not quite as effectively).

Since it's all up to the TO whether or not these rules are upheld, or if MK is banned @ individual tournaments, it'd be so much easier just convincing regions to ban then to convince SBR that there's a valid ban criteria and follow through with a ban. The people that want MK banned need to just start convincing TOs to ban because making individual rules to limit how ghay MK can be played is getting a bit ridiculous. (I personally hate MK as well but I know the MU so I'll just tolerate him).

Ninja Kirby Nick!

Smash Lord
That's not what your mother said last night Trebek
I'll ask the top players in my region...probably me, since I'm the only one for several miles. *is caught between laughing and crying*

God and Pegasus will get you through most of the levels. The vending machine glitch will also get you through many levels.

I enjoy using shrink ray and riding on tiny goats.

Oh, and don't worry, I feel for you. There's not alot of action going on in South Carolina, and I like to think that I'm automatically the best Kirby player in the state by default ;).

Ninja Kirby Nick!

Smash Lord
That's not what your mother said last night Trebek

TaterSalad0811

Smash Lord
lolol I remember posting that xD.

Sadly, I did not need that to tell me what the halberd looked like ;).

And I never draw the sword. Ever. I do not like that sword.

If only all Kirby games were like that :(.
Yeah, what's the joke with the "that... that looks pretty gross..." thing? Never got that.

favorite lines:

:kirby2: 'scuze me, pardon me, HAH! HU!

:metaknight: THIS IS BULL$#1+

I'm gonna post a video if MK gets banned that shows a computer navigating until it reaches SWF, then sees the "MK is banned" thread, then MK says "THIS IS BULL$#1+!! :mad:

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
lol amazing. One of the better halolz comics imo.
TOs: "Would you ban MK if a ban criteria is made and MK is found to fit it afterwards? Or would you ban MK despite the process, as long as the SBR recommends MK be banned?"
I organize tournaments in my area every now and then and If a reasonable, unbiased and well developed criteria is developed I would have a tournament with MK banned. The players who main MK where I live (Tijuana/San Diego region) can play other characters competently. Actually TKD dropped MK and is using Fox and is placing just as well (top 8 or top 4)to many people's surprise.

In the end the SBR can't actually boss you around in person. Can you Imagine atomsk and M2K going to every tournament and telling people not to play M2K because the SBR says so? If they decide to ban MK and I'm not fully convinced of their reasoning well **** them, I'll let people use MK. Besides I don't think MK is ban worthy but a ban may help the community develop other character's meta game and may help retain players in the active tourney scene.

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Lolololololol. Either you're just playing the matchup wrong, or....

No wait you just played the matchup wrong.
It's not as good for kirby as everyone thinks. Good foxes don't actually get gimped that often, lazers are a pain (not as bad as falco's, though) and usmash kills way faster than any of our attacks. I think we've discussed it in the matchup thread and came to around 50-50, although we could discuss it again (winkwinkhinthint). In Scribblenauts, whenever I have a "bring X to Y" thing, I ride a pterodactyl and attach the thing to it with a rope. It's ****ing awesome.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
This always makes me laugh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1K8bI7fUjQw&feature=related

That's how I play the kirby games

Purple Toon is pimp, not gay.

:(
No, Red Toon Link is a pimp, the purple one is gay, unless it's a purple King Dedede..... or Grape Kirby from Squeak Squad.

It's not as good for kirby as everyone thinks. Good foxes don't actually get gimped that often, lazers are a pain (not as bad as falco's, though) and usmash kills way faster than any of our attacks. I think we've discussed it in the matchup thread and came to around 50-50, although we could discuss it again (winkwinkhinthint). In Scribblenauts, whenever I have a "bring X to Y" thing, I ride a pterodactyl and attach the thing to it with a rope. It's ****ing awesome.
Not you too. T_T

If Fox is even, that would be a WTF moment for me, only one reliable kill move that you could see a mile away doesn't make it even, IMO. =/

Top Bottom