• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

KGD - The Kewkky Thread! - Kirby's Wasteland: Dead Social

jiovanni007

Smash Ace
So I have a question, has anyone found SH FF Nair to have any merit OoS? I was playing at a tourny yesterday (in which I did pretty bad except in low tiers btw, but ah well... been almost 3 months since last time I got some real practice in [johns, I know] so I expected no better), and it seemed like a decent punishing method (though most of the games I used Kirbies were friendlies, so maybe in more serious matches it wouldn't work as well?).
Honestly, bair/fair have worked better OoS for me due to them being quicker. OoS is supposed to be punishment for a mistake and nair can get you punished instead in such a situation.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Honestly, bair/fair have worked better OoS for me due to them being quicker. OoS is supposed to be punishment for a mistake and nair can get you punished instead in such a situation.
Nair has fast startup as well, can be FFed and thus ACed faster, does 12% (I believe) and doesn't stale out Fair or Bair, which I at least use all the time. Also, when fresh the sweetspot on Nair can actually kill around 150-170% or so if you're looking for an easy kill move and just can't seem to land it.

I'm not saying to use it all the time, just asking if anyone else uses it, since it seems to be a nice mixup.

T-nuts

Smash Ace
Nair has fast startup as well, can be FFed and thus ACed faster, does 12% (I believe) and doesn't stale out Fair or Bair, which I at least use all the time. Also, when fresh the sweetspot on Nair can actually kill around 150-170% or so if you're looking for an easy kill move and just can't seem to land it.

I'm not saying to use it all the time, just asking if anyone else uses it, since it seems to be a nice mixup.
honestly its not a terrible idea but i stick to bair out of shield if im going to use an aerial. its a little quicker to come out and a little safer if blocked.

T1MMY

Smash Apprentice
Listen to Fromundaman. N-air out of shield is a good option if:

1) The enemy is very near to you (such as after they Dash Attack your shield)
2) You cannot B-air out of shield because of your Facing.
3) You want to deal more damage because B-air/F-air is stale.
4) You don't want to stale out your B-air (e.g. your N-air will knock the opponent off-stage and you can edge guard with a fresh B-air)
5) finally, a grab would be imprudent (due to punishment, unable due to Facing, etc).

Once you work N-air into your game you can use it as a tool to refresh other attacks with an Aerial that can deal 12%, has long Duration (in cases of Air Dodges or Side Steps), and short landing-lag.

Note, it has a terrible Auto-Cancel window due to it's prolonged Duration. However, it can be Landing-Canceled (touch the ground ASAP), of which it's landing lag is better than F-air, and D-air (but not U-air and B-air).

Friendly Reminder: The N-air is usually a poor option to use off-stage. Lol!

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
You play Smash?! I thought you just pwned threads on the forum o_o;

Welcome. How has Kirby been treating you so far? Any matchups you love/hate playing?
Do you play offline, or wifi, or what?
Of course I play smash. ^_^

Kirby grants so much freedom. I love having a million jumps. I make my friends mad with my back-air edge-guards. I miss being able to keep opponents off the edge. In Melee, it as possible with just about anyone. In Brawl, anyone can recover from anywhere.

I don't have any particularly difficult matchups because I don't have many advanced opponents. I play primarily offline.

Ninja Kirby Nick!

Smash Lord
That's not what your mother said last night Trebek
I hate Melee now. Because I suck at it :lick:.

In Melee, edgehogging has become a common thing with the CPUs apparantly. And this Kirby brawler still can't beat a lvl. 9 Marth all that well :mad:. I guess you just have to adjust to playing Melee, where Kirby is at the second to last bottom tier, and Falcon is #5 :urg:. Also, the characters look really big and the combat speed is really fast paced. That also throws me off my game :(.

(Then again, that's what I get for using Mewtwo as the first character for me to attempt to main. Whoever said that Mewtwo acted like Lucario was drinking heavily :chuckle:.)

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
The Brawl characters are actually larger than the Melee ones. Go to a Melee stage in Brawl and it's clear as day.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Why doesn't anyone say anything about ftilt OoS? It's safer than nair, and covers pretty much everything nair can do, as well as has more range.

Pink murder

Smash Ace
☠
Can Ftilt be followed up with a Dtilt?
I like using FF'd Nair -> Dtilt -> Fsmash (If tripped or at low percentages)
I also like that you can move Nair backwards -even if you started it forward- and still hit your opponent if he dodgerolled behind you and follow up with a Utilt.
☠

●▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬๑۩۩๑▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬●

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
☠
Can Ftilt be followed up with a Dtilt?
Depends on the opponent's %. It's really a "GTFO" ground move, so if the opponent is at low %s, you can follow it up with dtilt (make sure not to angle it up, since it gets more knockback if you do)... Ftilt is Kirby's best ground spacer, and has real crazy range.

Pink murder

Smash Ace
☠
Ok, so I'm alright with the Ftilt.

But using a Nair at low percentages seems like a pretty good alternative to Ftilt sometimes, mainly because of the damage and follow up options.
☠

●▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬๑۩۩๑▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬●

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Why doesn't anyone say anything about ftilt OoS? It's safer than nair, and covers pretty much everything nair can do, as well as has more range.
Isn't that a bit slow? I know jumping and grabbing OoS takes less frames than dropping your shield, and I *think* Bair/Fair/Nair come out faster, though I could be wrong.
Not a bad idea though if you think you have a frame advantage.

~Shao~

Smash Ace
ftilt is good as well, utlit is usually the best if they are behind since its so quick.
you mean d-tilt is good as well, right? And yeah, u-tilt usually is the best choice, but at higher %'s, u-tilt won't do much since it's hard(er) to follow up, grab the same thing. F-tilt is a nice, quick GTFO move, possibly positioning them off-stage for an edgeguard opportunity.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
are you kidding? knowing what snake's utilt looks like is a huge deal lol

i might do kirby if i feel like it, but its quite a bit of work
Why? We already knew the horizontal and vertical range, as well as the fact there's a hitbox under him. Does knowing we have a like 1 frame window between the two help that much?

jiovanni007

Smash Ace
you mean d-tilt is good as well, right? And yeah, u-tilt usually is the best choice, but at higher %'s, u-tilt won't do much since it's hard(er) to follow up, grab the same thing. F-tilt is a nice, quick GTFO move, possibly positioning them off-stage for an edgeguard opportunity.
lol yeah I actually did, f and d are next to each other on the keyboard.

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
Why? We already knew the horizontal and vertical range, as well as the fact there's a hitbox under him. Does knowing we have a like 1 frame window between the two help that much?
unfortunately, we dont even have that...what the orbs fail to show is that the true hitbox of a move on frame (x) is the interpolation between the sphere shown on frame (x) and that of frame (x-1)...so imagine a diagonal line connecting the tangents of the two outermost spheres, and that's the extent of the hitbox for a frame :(

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I saw.

It's not that big of a deal, though it is neat.
NEED A VIDEO SHOWING KIRBY'S HITBOXES PLZ
^^^
i might do kirby if i feel like it, but its quite a bit of work
I'd do it, if I had a recording device like Dazzle, (...wow I almost typed Fraps) and a working compewter. I'd be glad to ^.^~~desu

Wouldn't take that long. Just do a bunch of moves, and edit the video to slow down certain parts. @_@
edit: and add music with LOTS OF CRAZY GUITAR JIOFGJZIOGDFZOGMOA

Seeing these videos is more important to me than frame data. There's a Meta Knight one too, linked in the video I linked.

Surprisingly (or not) the most blatantly broken hitboxes MK has are Uptilt, Fsmash, and Glide Attack. Most people probably knew glide attack and fsmash had ******** range, but Uptilt was like REEOOOWWRR

you know?
unfortunately, we dont even have that...what the orbs fail to show is that the true hitbox of a move on frame (x) is the interpolation between the sphere shown on frame (x) and that of frame (x-1)...so imagine a diagonal line connecting the tangents of the two outermost spheres, and that's the extent of the hitbox for a frame :(
What? So are you saying that this hack could be improved?

(stolen from the "Ganondorf is the best character in Melee" social group)

Basically, this hitbox-showing thingy from Melee is superior to the one we just saw, correct?

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
yes, but that's debug mode...the game creators did that...we're just a bunch of reverse engineerers with some pretty bubbles

and it shows exactly what im talking about, with the bubbles active for 2 frames each and the rest of teh hitboxes interpolated between the present and past bubbles...it's been confirmed taht brawl is the same way

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I need to become smarter so I understand what you're talking about. :[

brb smart pills

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Surprisingly (or not) the most blatantly broken hitboxes MK has are Uptilt, Fsmash, and Glide Attack. Most people probably knew glide attack and fsmash had ******** range, but Uptilt was like REEOOOWWRR
Believe it or not, I've used Utilt as MK a lot in the past because of it's hitbox too, despite what my friend Iskascribble says about it.

Then again, we have broken hitboxes too. Look at Bair and Uair. Hell, our Usmash and Dsmash aren't that bad either (though I wish our Dsmash had the same ******** hitb ox as Fox's XD ).

jiovanni007

Smash Ace
Believe it or not, I've used Utilt as MK a lot in the past because of it's hitbox too, despite what my friend Iskascribble says about it.

Then again, we have broken hitboxes too. Look at Bair and Uair. Hell, our Usmash and Dsmash aren't that bad either (though I wish our Dsmash had the same ******** hitb ox as Fox's XD ).
Bair does have a pretty dumb hitbox, it extends a little past his feet and his whole body is a hitbox :psycho:

Top Bottom