• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kansas City/Lawrence Discussion Topic

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
Raith is the only person on KC that has actually tried to help me get better at this game (why thank you Raith)

You guys have to remember that I'm comparatively new to competitive Smash (I didn't start L-cancelling until mid-2008 for Christ's sake) and there are others that aren't Potts that could use some verbal advice

I'm sure JBM was teaching those Nebraska guys tons of stuff, and why he let them play in the crew battle (to get experience)

I don't feel the same kind of community support coming from Kansas

dmac and Z where you at????

dmac

Smash Champion
the dearth of information on how to get better is out there and i've always encouraged people to check it out many times over the years. the onus is not solely on me(or z lol) to force you to get better.

honda if you aren't learning new things from people beating you or just playing them in general, then you aren't paying enough attention. if it takes charts and graphs to point out exactly what you're doing wrong, ask more questions, ask to play me more

raith if it takes you all night to get warmed up to play, you need to practice more at home, on your own

i still feel like i'm improving, and why is that? ask me in person

Massive

Smash Champion
How to improve - a compilation
Stickied thread, first page of Melee discussion.

The entire crew is slowly improving, just because you can't readily recognize it or you can't win every match doesn't mean it's not happening. You're going to learn a lot more from your losses (if you pay attention to why you lost, anyway) than you will from your wins.

My advice will probably be discounted anyway, everyone hates on Jiggs.

adhdsoad

Smash Lord
I get better through determination to beat Z and dmac.

I trash talk so much because it fuels me knowing that I can't go back on my words.

I work on my tech skill constantly so I have something to brag about.

I talk a lot and act silly to keep my cool so that I can continue to play this game calmly.

I create rivals for stepping stones in evolving my game and weaknesses against certain types of players.

I also play several characters so I can get a complete feel for the characters, and incorporate each one of their strengths into my main, and eventually into my overall game.

Those are my secrets. It's worked so well for me, I mean I started in 2008. Using Fox is also a good strategy :)

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
It seems to me that the atmosphere at KC smashfests isn't all too much about learning and improving, and more about having a good time and hanging with friends. This is fine and I don't mind it, but if people want to improve they need to take it seriously. When you're playing in seriouslies or the tourney bracket, you need to be analyzing your opponent and not just playing on autopilot. Players like Cactuar, Mango and darkrain excel in taking the first stock or two or even entire first game to learn their opponent's playstyle almost entirely and then crush them. dmac does this too. This strategy should be used by nearly everyone, at least to an extent. Your gameplay is important but your mental activities, such as analyzing your opponents, picking up on patterns, and setting up your prediction game for the set, are also extremely important.

I'd love to just sit here and regurgitate information that's already there, but that just sounds like a lot of work, so just click Massive's (first) link.
I don't particularly care too much for improving, so I don't. I'm not good and that's fine, lol.

adhdsoad

Smash Lord
Teching to the left every time is also a good habit as demonstrated by strong bad.

FMA: Brotherhood is blowing my mind. This **** is SO god **** good.

N64

Smash Champion
want help/advice? just ask. most of us will respond with something useful.

people want to get better and have fun in various degrees. If you want to get better, it's up to you to get better. Force us to play you, etc.

And it should go without saying that if you want to win, play to win.

D

Deleted member

Teching to the left every time is also a good habit as demonstrated by strong bad.

FMA: Brotherhood is blowing my mind. This **** is SO god **** good.
what ep are you on? i just got the time to start catching up on all the episodes and that **** is crazy good

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
It's not improvement in general that I'm trying to get out of you guys (I know what I need to do to improve, what my weaknesses are, where the teaching resources are, all of that) but more like, specific little tips that can be helpful in certain situations or matchups

Like when we were playing in teams dmac, when you said that Peach's dair to save teammates is super important, I never knew that, and yet it should be so obvious for a Peach player. Those are the kind of little tips that I'm talking about, and I know you guys have a million of them

I'm not necessarily leaving it all on the veterans to collectively rubberband me to the next level, but I'm just saying, when you see that I (or any of the other newer members) are having trouble with something that could be helped with just a few words of advice, please speak up--most of the time we're not even aware that there could be another way to do things

Jace08

Smash Lord
I'm not really much help for specific advice unless its your char vs falcon. I guess I should be more vocal about that matchup with you Honda

So who's goin to Rob's today? I reeeeallly want to see you guys do well at Intimikill and some last minute practice would help

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
this post is funny because PC isn't good enough at picking up on player habits to even notice such a non-existent tendency

rpotts

Smash Lord
lol at this discussion. I come to smash to play the games I love with other good people. I also enjoy just hanging out with bros and meeting new people.

on another note, whats the status on this hookup at rob's? I wanna go if lawrence is going.

D

Deleted member

they dont play 64 or melee at robs, they only play brawl and SSFIV

if i'm there i'll play some 64 and melee but dont expect TV's or space to be dedicated to these games

Jace08

Smash Lord
We played melee a decent amount last time, didn't we arkive? Also, I can bring my tv to make sure we have one for melee/64

so arkive when are you showing up? I was thinking like around 7 or something

rpotts

Smash Lord
Wohlgey says rob has plans for tonight. My apt is available for smashing/broing/drinking w/e tonight. 1900 Naismith, Lawrence KS, 66046

BTW: I'm training my falco as we speak. I can pillar. Boosh Dair->shine->shine->firebird.

rpotts

Smash Lord
Any time, as late as i feel like staying up, which pretty much means now til like 5am

BRING SETUPS + TVS Only one usable (non-laggy) tv in the house now

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
Alright awesome, I'll head up there with a GC, what's your number again? (I think you have mine so you could just send me a text)

JACE YOU BETTER COME DOWN

rpotts

Smash Lord
raith/jace/others talking about not getting better, come or you are a hypocrite.

BRING TVS
1900 Naismith APT E, Lawrence KS 66046
913-271-3057

adhdsoad

Smash Lord
Wohlgey is a **** liar. How many times do I have to tell you people this?

Rob's IS on, and we do have dedicated setups to melee and 64, but last week I wanted to play ssf4, not melee, so we put it on my melee tv.

rpotts

Smash Lord
Just talked to wohlgey, he said rob hasn't called him yet and because rob said he might not have it today, wolhgey assumed it was off. Lawrence is still meeting at my place and if rob's is on and we want to go, we can. we'll figure it out.

adhdsoad

Smash Lord
Yeah dude, Wohlgey just isn't going so he decided to tell everyone it was off.

Oh and Arkive is butthurt because we made him try to play brawl minus and he wouldn't do it. And when Adam is there, we play TONS of smash64. It's just hard since only 2 of our tvs aren't flat screens.

rpotts

Smash Lord
Yeah dude, Wohlgey just isn't going so he decided to tell everyone it was off.

Oh and Arkive is butthurt because we made him try to play brawl minus and he wouldn't do it. And when Adam is there, we play TONS of smash64. It's just hard since only 2 of our tvs aren't flat screens.
Wolhgey is bringing adam over here in a while, sooooo, w/e

adhdsoad

Smash Lord
Just talked to wohlgey, he said rob hasn't called him yet and because rob said he might not have it today, wolhgey assumed it was off. Lawrence is still meeting at my place and if rob's is on and we want to go, we can. we'll figure it out.
Ughhhh it doesn't matter to me anymore, but I honestly don't feel like driving to Lawrence tonight. I could stay home and play Starcraft for all I care. ARKIVE LET ME TRAIN YOU TONIGHT. Message me later yo.

Jace08

Smash Lord
well I'll probably go to Rob's then, it's closer for me, and I'm pretty sure the same could be said for Raith and Arkive. Potts I drove to Rob's from lawrence last week, it's not too bad of a drive if you want to come play with us

rpotts

Smash Lord
well I'll probably go to Rob's then, it's closer for me, and I'm pretty sure the same could be said for Raith and Arkive. Potts I drove to Rob's from lawrence last week, it's not too bad of a drive if you want to come play with us
Lol i said honda, wohlgey adam and I may head up

D

Deleted member

why would i be butthurt?

last time i was there it was only me u and jace playing on a small *** TV in the middle of where everybody was walking and it didnt look like anybody had any interest in playing 64 or melee.

if rpotts shows up then we'll have to do work in 64 lol

Jace08

Smash Lord
Well arkive last time there were only 3 melee players there. It wouldn't be like that if we had more, plus I'll bring a tv this time. Oh and I'll take on your fox in 64

D

Deleted member

Someone needs to just get a big ****ing house and have both the SRK guys and Smash guys come over every Saturday. Will I be that guy? Maybe so, maybe not.
that would be a bigger mess than brawl and melee being in the same room lol

-8bit

dmac

Smash Champion
be at my place at 4:30-5

501 colorado
lawrence, ks 66044

dont be laaaaaaaaate

someone needs to man up and drive too

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
dmac are you picking me up from my house or am I going to have to drive to Lawrence? I posted a couple days ago, you might've missed it, but basically my house is on the way and about 5 minutes off the Interstate

If you picked me up that would save me the 60 miles I'd have to drive from Topeka to Lawrence

2428 SE 28th Terr
Topeka, KS 66605

adhdsoad

Smash Lord
I can't go unless I can get a ride to dmac's... I forgot my car is dead and even if my mom jumpstarts it in the morning, it won't keep a charge until 5pm. My mom also doesn't get home until like 6 so I couldn't jumpstart it until then either.

Top Bottom