• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kansas City/Lawrence Discussion Topic

papermarkis

Smash Lord
We might as well do two completely different tournaments since as far as I know, there's no one from either crew who likes both games except for like Stealth and Jace.

Jace08

Smash Lord
We might as well do two completely different tournaments since as far as I know, there's no one from either crew who likes both games except for like Stealth and Jace.
Blasphemy! No but Markis I had the same realization that everyone else had about Brawl like 7 months ago; the game sucks. It has practically no depth whatsoever, especially when compared to melee. I just gave the game the benefit of the doubt longer than I should have.

Anyway Stealth you make a good point but I think Markis and the others are right about doing two separate tournaments. If we were concerned about turnout, you'd probably be right, but we're not; at least I'm not.

A two-day melee event at the beginning of the summer sounds best to me. KC is one of the best crews for hosting tournaments (you don't see COT4 stuff happening with them), and I'm sure Dark and the rest of us would be willing to host a melee event again this summer (speak up if that isn't the case). I can't say that KC would be willing to host another Brawl tournament, however (even if it's accompanied by a melee tourney), so GiGabrawl might have to be put on hold until you find people to help you host. That is, it makes the most sense to have the melee event come first.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
the wichita crew is also pretty good at doing tournies, so i am sure they can help. i have no doubts that we can hold effective brawl tournies at JCCC. but i see your point on the combined tourney idea.

JBM falcon08

Smash Master
if your going to hold a tourney have it be two seperate tourneys.

i would MUCH rather come to kc and game for 2 days rather than one and call it good, also if you were to have melee be 2 days it would attract many more.

Dmac i'm thinking about buying some arcade stix for my ps3 know of any good ones that aren't ridiculously priced?

dmac

Smash Champion
whats your price range ?

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Street-F..._2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1234828685&sr=8-2

is *probably* your best bet for right now. its 70 dollars, and shouldn't be too hard to find. it comes with stock mad catz parts, but you can replace the stick and buttons with better parts later at any time(this stick is *VERY VERY VERY* easy to mod, absolutely no soldering or anything hard required) if you wanna try that route for only ~40 bucks more. if you want something cheaper or are actually shooting a little higher lemme know

adhdsoad

Smash Lord
The melee tourney should be 2 days no doubt... I don't see how there's a debate about that :p

The more friendlies the better.

JBM falcon08

Smash Master
Yeah see i was looking at this stick because i'm not really REALLY into 2d fighters yet, but i'm working on it.

i just didn't consider it because i looked and found it on another website and they had said the 2nd shipment wouldn't come in till april 7th lol.

Thanks.

dmac

Smash Champion
yeah they're really really going to be flying off the shelves, its the first time in a long long time theres been decent sticks in the states that you could buy relatively easily. theres also some other options in your 30-50 dollar price range, but they're a lot harder to mod, and the quality of construction will be... more questionable heh heh

dmac

Smash Champion
fake pc chris, for specifically the new sf4 sticks coming out there are two options. you have the option of the standard edition(SE) fight stick for 70-80 bucks, or the tournament edition(TE) for 150 bucks. the TE comes standard with sanwa parts, the same used in real sf4 arcade cabinets in the united states of japan. the SE comes with mad catz parts. you can replace the stick and buttons with sanwa parts for ~40 bucks on the SE, overall a cheaper price for nearly the same quality as the TE. the TE has other neat things about it too(which really really do justify the huge price tag) but people who want the most bang for the buck are just gonna grab SE sticks and mod em.

Jesi

Smash Ace
David graduates in May (may 8th), and is probably moving by the mid/end of that month or latest beginning of June, that being said, if you guys are hosting a tournament, you may or may not have to run it and setup housing w/o his help because I imagine he will be busy looking for jobs and well...moving across country lol Unless you have it earlier than that, but even then he is going to be pretty busy w/ preparations.

If you can manage to get it together, however, maybe we can still come up for it, or maybe just him, or maybe he'll help you guys out i'm not sure, just remember he is moving out of KC and genesis is possibly his last tournament... (this is according to him..)

but you guys can talk to him about it Saturday and get his plans from there :) not trying to burst any bubbles...just smacking yall's with some reality lol

darkrain

Smash Ace
I was thinking about hosting a tournament a week or two after school as my final act as a KC smasher and to practice for genesis.. my alleged last tournament! I was thinking either May 16th or May 23rd at the beginning of summer break. That way most smashers should be able to come and a 2-day event won't be an issue for the school kids.

Since I don't live at barrio anymore housing is going to be tricky. Also, I live about an hour away from the airport now so there is another potential issue. We housed about 60 people last time but I don't see that being possible this time around. Still have some logistical issues to figure out before making this official.

Jesi

Smash Ace
I would like to suggest/agree with May 16 as a possible date! Mainly because i have a break starting may 15 and going through like the 25th and this would be a great opportunity for me to drive up (or fly up) and help lil' avey move his stuff after the tournament and maybe throw a big party or something :) !!

I could also help out w/ tournament running stuff....and I may or may not be able to house a few kids at my parents place, but we'll see...

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Summer starts for me in June :/ doubt I'd be able to house many either

papermarkis

Smash Lord
fake pc chris, for specifically the new sf4 sticks coming out there are two options. you have the option of the standard edition(SE) fight stick for 70-80 bucks, or the tournament edition(TE) for 150 bucks. the TE comes standard with sanwa parts, the same used in real sf4 arcade cabinets in the united states of japan. the SE comes with mad catz parts. you can replace the stick and buttons with sanwa parts for ~40 bucks on the SE, overall a cheaper price for nearly the same quality as the TE. the TE has other neat things about it too(which really really do justify the huge price tag) but people who want the most bang for the buck are just gonna grab SE sticks and mod em.
Yeah word on the street is that the SE stick, the one without Sanwa parts breaks very easily. There are many people who have already sent theirs back. It's surely a low quality product. The TE sticks with ALL sanwa parts seem to be ok though.

Scar

#HarveyDent
I was thinking about hosting a tournament a week or two after school as my final act as a KC smasher and to practice for genesis.. my alleged last tournament! I was thinking either May 16th or May 23rd at the beginning of summer break. That way most smashers should be able to come and a 2-day event won't be an issue for the school kids.

Since I don't live at barrio anymore housing is going to be tricky. Also, I live about an hour away from the airport now so there is another potential issue. We housed about 60 people last time but I don't see that being possible this time around. Still have some logistical issues to figure out before making this official.
whatever you're never quitting, CF will always be in your heart

Light

Smash Journeyman
Evo is going with PS3, so most majors will likely follow suit. I don't have a PS3, so just rollin wit dat 3siddy. Rushdown down M.Bison all day.

Echo

Smash Champion
Yo if Genesis is going to be Dark's last... I'm going to have to make sure I go...

Jace08

Smash Lord
Unfortunately I'll be late tonight (I'll show up around 7:45ish) and I have to leave early, but at least I'm being allowed to go. See you all there.

dmac

Smash Champion
Is anyone going to nakacon next month and willing to help host brawl/melee tournaments? I have a coworker thats helping run the game room and needs some help and im not really the animecon type. he asked for help for these games(and to help run the game tournaments in general). if this is something you're interested in, let me know

adhdsoad

Smash Lord
Is anyone going to nakacon next month and willing to help host brawl/melee tournaments? I have a coworker thats helping run the game room and needs some help and im not really the animecon type. he asked for help for these games(and to help run the game tournaments in general). if this is something you're interested in, let me know
I usually go to Naka-Kon every year, so if help is needed let me know Dmac.
I was hoping nobody knew about it so I could win some money for once :p

Anyone that likes anime in the least bit should think about coming. I think it's pretty fun. Last year there was even a rave! It was mm mm gewd.

Top Bottom