• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kahoka Me Your Moves!---MW-W Circuit Event #3---May 1-3; Kahoka, MO

Nicole

Smash Champion
Seriously, though, we've got a month. More people will pledge closer to the actual date.
It's good to get these things out there early though. Also, you should put it on the FRONT page of this thread.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I'll do what I can to get a 2nd setup from St. Louis... no promises yet though.

Come play with us sometime in April, Kirksville! Name a date, we'll make it happen.

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
i can bring a tv and a wii, so count another one in. only rule is that you can't play metaknight on my wii cuz he must remain last in K.O.s
Meta Knight doesn't get KOs. The other characters kill themselves in his presence.

Wichita is bringing texture hacks and we will be awesome because of it.

Me and Andrew are going to need to have a bit of a discussion about that stage list though.

Nicole

Smash Champion
Meta Knight doesn't get KOs. The other characters kill themselves in his presence.

Wichita is bringing texture hacks and we will be awesome because of it.

Me and Andrew are going to need to have a bit of a discussion about that stage list though.
Where's the pink one?!?! I don't want gay pride GW, my GW is a straight MAN who has sex with women whenever he wants (which is ALOT). Also, he wears pink!

Andrew, if Inferno makes me a pink GW for tournament play, you should waive his venue fee, and if he brings a setup to waive it anyway then I'll buy him something cheap! Like a soda/pop/whatever other parts of the country call those drinks. Maybe TWO of them!

Cook

Smash Master
Where's the pink one?!?! I don't want gay pride GW, my GW is a straight MAN who has sex with women whenever he wants (which is ALOT). Also, he wears pink!

Andrew, if Inferno makes me a pink GW for tournament play, you should waive his venue fee, and if he brings a setup to waive it anyway then I'll buy him something cheap! Like a soda!
Um, yeah, ok, I'll be sure to do that! :psycho:

Nicole

Smash Champion
I'll do what I can to get a 2nd setup from St. Louis... no promises yet though.

Come play with us sometime in April, Kirksville! Name a date, we'll make it happen.
How did I not notice this before? Oh well.

Andrew and I will be in this weekend (Fri and Sat before Easter).

Jakebudden

Smash Ace
So we are going to ban delfino and castle siege too right? Cause dedede can cg anyone to death off either side on of both of these levels, and has a the entire stage to get one grab which he then can go in either direction to grab them to death. I mean if dedede is the reason pipes is banned cause on one side he can cg to death then most certainly both delfino and castle siege should be banned. Especially since dedede has a very small area to get the grab where he can actually do damage on pipes. I mean what kind of idiot just sits on the hill and waits anyway.

Edit: Sellouts!

MetalMusicMan

Sleepwalk our lives away.
So we are going to ban delfino and castle siege too right? Cause dedede can cg anyone to death off either side on of both of these levels, and has a the entire stage to get one grab which he then can go in either direction to grab them to death. I mean if dedede is the reason pipes is banned cause on one side he can cg to death then most certainly both delfino and castle siege should be banned. Especially since dedede has a very small area to get the grab where he can actually do damage on pipes. I mean what kind of idiot just sits on the hill and waits anyway.

Edit: Sellouts!
The reason Pipes is banned and Delfino and Castle Siege aren't is because the infinite walls and walk off sides are NOT permanent on those two stages.

On Pipes, the walk off is ALWAYS there. Pipes is banned for the same reason that Shadow Moses Island is banned.

If you cannot avoid grabs for 30 seconds while you are on a walkoff section, then that's your own fault. More importantly, if you can be Chain Grabbed by DeDeDe and you don't ban Delfino as your stage strike, it's even more so your own fault.

Being too lazy to properly play against a particular strategy is not sufficient reason to ban something.

animeblitzballa33

Smash Ace
Being too lazy to properly play against a particular strategy is not sufficient reason to ban something.
Then why is pipes being banned. Your own words contradict what your saying. If you get grabbed on that half of the stage i say your an idiot. Those blocks in the middle stop everything, even if D3 is standing on the last one and the opponent he grabbed is off of them, it stops the grab. I watched a D3 get 2 stocked there cause he simply couldnt get a grab in. Just stay on or to the left of the blocks and your fine.

MetalMusicMan

I fail to see how I am contradicting myself as I expressly stated that the reason that the other walk offs are legal is because they are NOT permanent.

Would you argue that Shadow Moses Island should be unbanned? Of course not. Pipes is the same. I will elaborate...

---

You seem to be arguing that you "just have to stay on the left side of the stage". From this, you seem to be drawing the conclusion that avoiding walk-off chain grabs on Pipes is the same as on Delfino. This is incorrect.

Your argument is flawed because avoiding grabs for 30-45 seconds while on a stage-morph and avoiding grabs for a full 8 minute match are not the same thing.

Delfino is a feasible stage because your approach options are only limited at specific times and those times are avoidable and capable of being overcome.

The probability of being grabbed within 45 seconds can be made 0% because you have the option of camping / stalling for the duration of that stage-morph and then resuming approaches / offense after the morph changes back.

Once you are off the walk off / infinite wall sections, you can resume offensive strategy.

On Pipes, you can never make a real offensive effort. You cannot avoid grabs for 8 minutes on Pipes and hope to win a match. This is not practical or probable.

I personally don't think that DeDeDe is the only reason to ban Pipes, anyway. ...but that's another story altogether.

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
We should just use the NE's stage list and stop arguing about stages:

Neutral:
* Final Destination
* Battlefield
* Yoshi's Story
* Smashville
* Lylat

Counterpicks:
* Delfino Plaza
* Battleship Halberd
* Castle Siege
* Brinstar
* Pokemon Stadium 1
* Frigate Orpheon
* Rainbow Cruise
Kind of a boring stage list, but it avoids any stages that could be considered dumb.

Joker490Frozen

Smash Champion
Man people are still arguing about the stages, I thought they had solve this a while back o.0

Well the stage list right now seems fine to me, I don't think any more should be removed all the ones left are pretty legit, and is not like anyone is going to pick them anyways, is like on my tourneys I have just about every Stage and people still go to the same ones(Neutrals).

Plus I think that most of the reason why people don't like the stages is cause it give a char an advantage, but isn't that what Counter Picking a stage suppose to do. This is exactly what happen at Oshkosh, everytime someone from Iowa pick an actual CP Stage they get mad cause they lost there and said we won cause of a gay stage, when in reality we won cause we CP the stage for your char which is the point of CP, is not my fault everyone plays Neutrals only and don't know how to handle the rest.

Also Cook, I'm bringing a complete set up(Brawl, Wii, TV), maybe two but it all depends on how much space we have, since Jlo is bringing one right?

Jakebudden

Smash Ace
I also think Halberd should be banned based on the rationale for the ban on Port Town Aero Drive. That cannonball and laser have a lot of knockback and can kill at relatively low percents. I mean that was argument about the cars so therefore it should work on halberd too.

I also think Smashville should be banned because the red balloons distract me too much. I don't want to have to worry about one of those pretty red balloons flying by and me getting punished for noticing it.

MurdaMoe

Smash Ace
sdi out of laser
bombs are easy to dodge
claw wont kill till really high precents

arnt u one of the iowans who got owned by spikes in the fbt thread?

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
From the stage list in the OP, Pirate Ship is personally the only stage I have a problem with. Too many random factors.

EDIT: Norfair as well, for the same reason.

Joker490Frozen

Smash Champion
Banned Smashville, cause I don't like the way the people on the background look at me, Yoshi's Island the shy guys stop projectiles and such.
Sooooooooooooo No Items, MK Only, Final Destination XP

Pirate ships has the bombs but like in Halbert they can be avoided, the catapult can be dodge pretty ez, as for No Fair the lava is predictable, the only problem I see is when people get toss to the lava that comes from the sides and the only reason you get hit by it is cause someone toss you into it, point being we can use a certain list of stages and people will still complain.

MetalMusicMan

Joker said:
Plus I think that most of the reason why people don't like the stages is cause it give a char an advantage, but isn't that what Counter Picking a stage suppose to do?
Exactly.

MurdaMoe said:
lylat should not be a neutral.
Lylat or Pokemon Stadium 1 must be labeled as a neutral since you must have an odd number of neutrals for stage striking purposes. This is the only reason either of them is listed in neutrals, and it will likely always be that way.

I feel that Pirate Ship is too random and should be banned, though it is certainly debatable.

Regarding Norfair and the like...

I am personally for Norfair being legal. While it has some random factors, they are very predictable, certainly as predictable as anything you would find on Halberd or Rainbow Cruise.

Additionally, the stage is just too good at being a mixup and changing the strengths/difficulties in matchups. It is exactly what a counterpick should be.

I would prefer that Norfair stay as a legal counter pick for those reasons.

I personally have no problem with Pictochat, Norfair, Rainbow Cruise, or Halberd and feel that they should all be legal counter picks.

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
I personally have no problem with Pictochat, Norfair, Rainbow Cruise, or Halberd and feel that they should all be legal counter picks.
I'd be shocked if Rainbow Cruise or Halberd were banned anywhere.

But yeah, I think the discussion has come down to discussing the legality of Pirate Ship and Norfair.

Like I said before I don't think either should be legal, Pirate Ship much more so than Norfair however.

Pirate Ship needs to go.

Bonehimer

Smash Journeyman
I am ok with with norfair, and pirate ship. When lava in norfair comes, the stage warns you by the screen panning out to the side. You can see the lava rising and how the hell do you miss the huge wall of fire and balls of fire from the back. Pirate ship, just pay attention at the background. Who falls for the catapult?

Bonehimer

Smash Journeyman
Port Town Aero Dive should be legal. Whats the point of playing as ROB if you can't play on the stage with the giant statue devoted to him.

LouBega

Smash Journeyman
our stage list is so boring now i don't like it. we should just put skyworld, port town, pipes, and onett back on, and then give everyone two bans.

Bonehimer

Smash Journeyman
I don't even know why people care about the CP. They will all just switch to MK once they lose the first match or get CP to a "wacky" stage. You know who you are.

gantrain05

Smash Master
i have no problem with pirate ship being banned >.> lol. but i have no problems with whatever stages are chosen to be CP's as long as it is reasonable. i usually never even ban anything because i just practice all my chars on all the stages and know how to handle it so no johns from me.

Bonehimer

Smash Journeyman
In the end i am ok with everything as long as we have 7 neutrals so we can stage strike. The first match is the most important after all.

neomadgic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
neomagic249
our stage list is so boring now i don't like it. we should just put skyworld, port town, pipes, and onett back on, and then give everyone two bans.
That sounds like a good compromise. Put port town and pipes back, but give everyone 2 bans.

MetalMusicMan

Ban Pirate Ship. Seriously.

That **** is whack.
Yeah, I'll jump on this band wagon.

LouBega said:
That sounds like a good compromise. Put port town and pipes back, but give everyone 2 bans.
I hope this is not a serious suggestion...

MetalMusicMan

Well, what is the problem with having two bans?
The process suggested is in direct conflict with the SBR rule list. If this tournament is to be taken seriously, it will follow the basic rules of the SBR.

Official SBR Recommended Rule List said:
Set format (In Order of Procedure):
1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match *
2. Opponents start the stage striking procedure
3. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for counterpicks of the set
4. The first game is played, using the stage chosen during step 2
5. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Starter Stage List or the Counter Stage List
6. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
7. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
8. Repeat steps 5-7 for all proceeding matches
*Double blind character selection may be called for the first match
Additionally, those stages would be silly to include. With Pipes, you can at least make an argument for it, though I still think it should be banned. I have never seen any good reason to allow Onett, Skyworld, or Port Town, however.

Bonehimer

Smash Journeyman
SBR only recommends the way the game should be played. If he wanted to he could turn items on and play brawl+

Kahoka will paved the way competitive smash will be played from now on.

MetalMusicMan

True, the rule list is only "recommended". It does have areas where the rules can be interpreted loosely, as is stated in the rule list itself.

I do not think that the amount of bannable counterpicks is one of these "gray areas", however. They are pretty specific about rules that are "optional" and this isn't one of them.

I have never seen a tournament use a format with more than one ban, as it obviously gives too great of an advantage / disadvantage and breaks the counterpick sequence by having too many stages and making banning pointless, thus removing an entire element of the competition.

Bonehimer

Smash Journeyman
Who cares? We are a reckless young bunch who have everything to prove and nothing to lose.

Top Bottom