• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kahoka Me Your Moves!---MW-W Circuit Event #3---May 1-3; Kahoka, MO

Cook

Smash Master
True, the rule list is only "recommended". It does have areas where the rules can be interpreted loosely, as is stated in the rule list itself.

I do not think that the amount of bannable counterpicks is one of these "gray areas", however. They are pretty specific about rules that are "optional" and this isn't one of them.

I have never seen a tournament use a format with more than one ban, as it obviously gives too great of an advantage / disadvantage and breaks the counterpick sequence by having too many stages and making banning pointless, thus removing an entire element of the competition.
Every rule can be changed. There are no Smash police. Anyway, you exaggerate a lot. How does having two bans give too much of an advantage or disadvantage if there are extra stages to begin with? It doesn't make banning pointless at all, just gives you more flexibility. Def doesn't remove an entire element of the competition, but arguably gives that element more depth.

MetalMusicMan

Sleepwalk our lives away.
How does having Onett and Port Town and Skyworld give the game more depth?

It makes counter picking pointless because those stages serve double purposes, performing the same role as other counter picks, only with more broken features. Your fix is to add another "ban" so you can ban 2 stages, but that is totally unnecessary. You could just ban the broken stages to begin with (as they were meant to be).

It's redundant and unorthodox for no reason at all and adds no "depth" to speak of. It's excess for the sake of excess.

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
Just ban Pirate Ship. That's all you should do.

Adding Onett, PTAD, Skyworld and giving everyone two bans is stupid.

-------

EDIT: Another important rule that I never see in tournaments around here that you should add:

"The second player to choose their port at the beginning of the set will always be the second player to stage strike. If a port dispute occurs, the player that lost the dispute will always stage strike second.

Ports can be disputed at the beginning of every set, even in Grand Finals."

This is important considering at how much of a disadvantage you are put in if you stage strike first.

MetalMusicMan

Affinity -- why not just use a Rock Paper Scissors port picking and port counter-picking system if a dispute occurs?

Tying it into the stage striking system seems overcomplicated-- but maybe there is something I don't know.

nightwing2024

Smash Cadet
Wow, didn't mean to start a sheet storm. I was just putting in Wisconsin's two cents (or sense, depending on how you view us Wisconsinites).

I have a couple of questions though, since I'm basically a "pro tournament" newb.

What is the difference between stage striking and banning, and can someone explain what they both are?

And what's the deal with Controller Port arguments? I didn't know there was a difference.

and I might be able to bring a set-up or two, let me talk to my friends about it and I'll get back to you.

Edit: Ok, missed the part where it explained striking. I get it now.

FrozenFire13

Smash Ace
Wow, didn't mean to start a sheet storm. I was just putting in Wisconsin's two cents (or sense, depending on how you view us Wisconsinites).

I have a couple of questions though, since I'm basically a "pro tournament" newb.

What is the difference between stage striking and banning, and can someone explain what they both are?

And what's the deal with Controller Port arguments? I didn't know there was a difference.

and I might be able to bring a set-up or two, let me talk to my friends about it and I'll get back to you.

Edit: Ok, missed the part where it explained striking. I get it now.
The controller ports have different effects depending on who's port number is higher or lower.
Example: Player 1 and player 2 grab each other at the same time. In this scenario, Player 1 (the lower port) grabs player 2.
Example: Player 4 (the higher port) grabs player 3 and an explosion of some kind happens. Player 3 gets hit while player 4 does not.

These are the only things that I know of that causes port debate. There might be more, but I don't think there are.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
The controller ports have different effects depending on who's port number is higher or lower.
Example: Player 1 and player 2 grab each other at the same time. In this scenario, Player 1 (the lower port) grabs player 2.
Example: Player 4 (the higher port) grabs player 3 and an explosion of some kind happens. Player 3 gets hit while player 4 does not.

These are the only things that I know of that causes port debate. There might be more, but I don't think there are.
actually someone i know used the debug hack and proved that the grab priority is actually random and not port based

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
There's a much easier way to settle that than use Debug. The easiest way is to hook up two Wavebirds to the same channel and stand the two characters in front of each other. Then hit grab. If it's random, you would get a random result. If it wasnt, then one would always grab the other first.

Legan

Smash Lord
You should ban either Green Greens or Corneria, If you have both than thats a guaranteed win for certain characters. The game is already bad enough, free wins just arnt cool.

MetalMusicMan

You should ban either Green Greens or Corneria, If you have both than thats a guaranteed win for certain characters. The game is already bad enough, free wins just arnt cool.
I also believe that Green Greens and Corneria cancel each other out-- I think the best solution is to leave Corneria on and ban Green Greens, since it is far more broken.

animeblitzballa33

Smash Ace
Holy $hit people, what is wrong with you, this is like the 5th time i have checked up on this thread and everytime 2 different stages are supposed to be banned. Stop *****ing with all of the stage johns. Whats next on peoples list, having final d and battlefield the only stages or what... But wait, battle field has platforms, uh-oh, that gives some characters an advantage, better get rid of battlefield too.

But seriosly, Joker's has all of these and some, and there are never any major complaints or johns about them. I know that this is a bigger tourny, but thats no reason to ban all these stages just so the scrubs cant complain at the end of the day.

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
The other day I was comboed by Pirate ship Cannon Balls. It suuuuucked. Anyway There's no need to constantly complain, or complain about complaining. All the stage stuff will get settled in a fair manner.

Legan

Smash Lord
Holy $hit people, what is wrong with you, this is like the 5th time i have checked up on this thread and everytime 2 different stages are supposed to be banned. Stop *****ing with all of the stage johns. Whats next on peoples list, having final d and battlefield the only stages or what... But wait, battle field has platforms, uh-oh, that gives some characters an advantage, better get rid of battlefield too.

But seriosly, Joker's has all of these and some, and there are never any major complaints or johns about them. I know that this is a bigger tourny, but thats no reason to ban all these stages just so the scrubs cant complain at the end of the day.
Have we met before? You sound like you'd be pretty obnoxious in person.

Ive never been one to care about stages and always go with the flow of things and not worry about stages and rules and all that bs. But I recently got a first hand experience of how bad green greens & corneria can be. Im just saying at least look into knocking out one of them so the other guy can just go "Okay ill go to the next best broken stage". I

animeblitzballa33

Smash Ace
Im not obnoxious, just a serial stalker killer. But 1) we have not met. 2) I would say im not obnoxious and probalbly quieter to most, but most could vouge for me. Its just slightly irritating coming to this and every 5 min people are talking about banning new stages. Most of what I say is over the top and sarcastic, and not a personal attack. You seem like a nice person which is why I apologize.

Legan

Smash Lord
Im not obnoxious, just a serial stalker killer. But 1) we have not met. 2) I would say im not obnoxious and probalbly quieter to most, but most could vouge for me. Its just slightly irritating coming to this and every 5 min people are talking about banning new stages. Most of what I say is over the top and sarcastic, and not a personal attack. You seem like a nice person which is why I apologize.
It's cool dude, I feel the sameway when I see all these post about stages and chaingrabs rules etc..

But anyone whos seen a G&W on Green Greens or played a G&W or pikachu on corneria can vouch for me. Other characters included, it's not even a real match anymore. It's basically a stallfest or suicide. Im trying to maintain as much respect for this game as possible and it would greatly help it's credibility imo if one of the 2 were banned.

Legan

Smash Lord
pikachu isnt broken on corneria. some of us dont consider it to be his best stage. he is too easily killed there.
You cant kill a pikachu you cant catch. I played a pikachu in my last tournament and he did nothing but spam thunder and run away. It was a rinse repeat process. He also Spammed thunderbolt or whatever from under the the arch on the ship and if I ever went down hed just quick attack up and start over. It was a cat & mouse stall fest, It wasnt smash at all. If you play to win, that is an easy stage for pika. It was a complete waste of my time and I would have been utterly disgusted if the guy wasnt my own crew mate.

Im sure at least one of you have seen G&W on Green Greens. Ask Nicole how it's done.

Inferno the only way you can guarantee a stall fest from occuring is banning either green greens or corneria. Green Greens preferably.

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
Ok, did that get recorded? I would pay money to see that. I'm imagining him getting knocked from one explosion into another, but I know that didn't happen. But still, i would like, very much, to see that, lol.
No, it didn't. All I remember is that he went from 0 to 64% in like 2 seconds.

redunk

Nyus

Smash Cadet
I'd have to agree with legan. Banning either Corneria or Green Greens is pretty much a must. Green Greens would be my preference as well to be banned.

Both stages give way to much for certain characters. While it's ok to have one I don't think it's right to have both since G&W benefits massively on both. Trying to approach either pikachu or G&W on either stage is a royal pain in the ***. Having to worry about both as a counter should be a no no. Just my 2cents.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

we should have just one stage list for all MWWC tournaments. just sayin.

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
Steeler actually has a good point. Everyone should use NO KOAST's Stage List!

Stage List

Starter

Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
Pokémon Stadium 1 (Melee)
Lylat Cruise
Delfino Plaza

Counter-Pick

Castle Siege
Halberd
Brinstar
Norfair
Corneria
Frigate Orpheon
Jungle Japes
Luigi's Mansion
Pictochat
Green Greens
Pokémon Stadium 2
Rainbow Cruise​
Switch Delfino with Halberd if you want to, I guess.

Top Bottom