• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kadaj's ask me anything thread.

ChKn

Smash Ace
What do you do to practice and how often do you practice a week?

Wait do you have night classes -_-?

_Kadaj_

Smash Hero
Throw that P***y at me? B***h I think Im Babe Ruth
I usually play lvl 9 computers when I can't play actual people, but I play just about every weekend with other players.

What I do when I play computers is just practice chain grabs, grab releases, spacing, pokes, executionary things (ie. frame perfect things), grab combos, platform canceling, power shielding, I also sometimes go into training mode to practice doing the Single Naner Lock with Marth and some other banana combos.

I usually practice anywhere from 8-20 hours a week maybe more depending on my mood, or some other factors (upcoming tourneys, players coming over during the week to play, etc.)

I don't have night classes persay but I usually go from 12pm till around 9ish for hours and getting things done.

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
Look, somewhere for me to lurk to since I just happened to stop by here!

When's the next time you're coming back to Sova, Kadeezy? ;D

_Kadaj_

Smash Hero
How do you divide your time during practice when working on different MUs?
Maybe about 15-20 mins per character and then rotate to a different one. I usually only practice against the top tier characters (MK, Snake, Falco, Diddy(rarely, and most of the time in training mode w/o any computer action for banana combos) Wario, Pikachu(rarely) and ic's here and there)

Look, somewhere for me to lurk to since I just happened to stop by here!

When's the next time you're coming back to Sova, Kadeezy? ;D
I'm not sure as of yet but maybe sometime next year

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
What do you think of Yoshi's Island for Marth?

_Kadaj_

Smash Hero
I think that it can be used as one of his best stages along with SV.

I've started playing on this stage a bit more recently and it seems to be very good for marth, he can also easily transition into FF Fairs and Falling Auto Canceled Nairs from the platform w/o actually have to jump (jumping and waiting for the FF to start is very vulnerable position, and it helps cut down on that vulnerability) I kinda compliments our recovery as well since we can just ride the wall up, and it's easy to **** characters who can no longer fly understage.

I wouldn't recommend it vs Falco though as he can wall jump (not tech but wall jump after the stun of dair is gone) then up b after being spiked.

Rad

Smash Ace
How do you play MUs that you're less familiar with? Like, in tournament.

Possibly a stupid question, but all Shaya ever gives me is 'Space N-air.' (<3)

Nike.

Smash Hero
Are you gonna make a combo video still? I'll prolly come out with one in a few days.

I'll title it "Mr. R's is better"

_Kadaj_

Smash Hero
How do you play MUs that you're less familiar with? Like, in tournament.

Possibly a stupid question, but all Shaya ever gives me is 'Space N-air.' (<3)
hahaha that's Shaya's answer for everything.

Most of the time I try to take to MU extremely slowed paced and try to out zone them. This way I have time to react to whatever they approach with and it enables me to be able to counter act their moves appropriately. Zoning with Full hop retreating Fairs, FF'd fair, Slow Falling auto cancelled Nairs, and some Retreating Fairs here or there. ABSOLUTELY NO WHIFFING though

Are you gonna make a combo video still? I'll prolly come out with one in a few days.

I'll title it "Mr. R's is better"
Lol Nike I'm still working on it, it's shaping up to be very good.

xxmoosexx

Smash Lord
Okay. I plan on going to tournaments with Marth soon. I generally go on wifi and play others. I find my opponents on a friend finder website and everyone uses different characters. I've been stuck at a plataeu for roughly a year.

I've been playing wifi against other people since Brawl came out. At first I was doing well and becoming better and better. Then I got stuck. Then I stopped for roughly 2-3 months or so due to real life aspects. Then I came back and re-gained all my general skill back in about a day. My tech wasn't as good but I was still roughly as good as I was. Then I stopped when school started this year. Now Im getting back into it soon because I have access to a driver's license.

HOW THE **** DO I GET PAST THIS PLATAEU?
What do i do to get good enough to atleast hit like...top 20 at a local North Carolina tournament?
What should I practice?
What is platform cancelling? How do you do it?
What is the use of "true pivot"?

On a personal note, when you die...will you donate your ear to me?

_Kadaj_

Smash Hero
You need to be able to figure out why you aren't improving anymore and learn ways to get you back on track. If wifi is your main means of practice I sugesst going aib and playing better players to help further improve.

My advice what to practice would be zoning, recovering, proper shielding and defensive habits, Grab releases, chain grabs, buffering your punishes out lf your shield drop animation, and using the proper offensive tools for each exchange.

Platform cancelling is the act of negating your jump and auto cancelling a move before the hit box comes out. There are a ton of ways to do so but the best for Marth would be to SH then Double Jump..... right you start to pass through the platform with you 2nd jump hit down on your C Stick to Dair. If done right you should be standing on the platform.

The use of a true pivot is to gain better positioning before doing a certain move or in some cases to perform a certain move such as a singles dash animation (or fox trot) then using a true pivot to allow you to use any tilt or smash right out of the pivot animation

And no I'd still like to have both ears

Nike.

Smash Hero
How do you correctly space against DDD? I feel like almost all of my perfectly spaced tippers (fair, nair, and dtilt) get hax grabbed which turns into 35% :( And when DDD dashes into it and power shields, how can we stop this bullcrap?

clowsui

Smash Legend
@nike you want to do fullhop nairs, preferably retreating

he can't shield grab that and his only way to really counter that is to powershield and dash under

the "boa" is hella gay lol

xxmoosexx

Smash Lord
So. I don't exactly know how to get back on track.
or
how to figure out why im not improving

Maybe I will just record my matches and watch them later.

Its not a problem of not having difficult people to brawl. I always lose lol.

what the heck is a "boa"?

And can you give me a history of your gaming? From first games to brawl. THEN tell me your improvement story that took place in brawl.

*awaits attentively* 0.0

_Kadaj_

Smash Hero
If a D3's main approach is dash and shield then it's simple, just grab them lol

From there they start to question their approach and try to mix in dash to spotdodge (easily beating by dancing blade) or a RARing Bair which is easily punished various moves (see d3's frame data). He also cannot grab ANY FH Aerial or a SH Bair. If they are walking instead it becomes a bit more tedious but the same ideas apply. If done correctly he shouldn't be able to grab a slow falling Auto Canceled Nair

If his shield starts to run low SB.

The ideal zone to be in is just outside of his f tilt range, there is virtually nothing he can possibly do to you at that distance w/o being beating out.

@moose not entirely sure what you mean but I have attended Tekken tourneys before playing melee, and even played the first gears of war on a pro level before brawl came out. Although I've gotten a lot better I myself am still improving as well

xxmoosexx

Smash Lord
Hm. So why did you stop tekken?

And what AT's should I know how to do? *names please*

Can you explain any plataeus you hit, if any, and how you got around them?
Were there any milestones you remember while improving in Brawl?
What additional steps did you take to improve yourself in brawl?

_Kadaj_

Smash Hero
When I was in VA everyone played smash so I kinda just lost interest.

AT's? I say Glid Tossing, Platform Cancelling, JC Item toss, Z Catching (when items are thrown at you), B reversing. That's pretty much it Marth doesn't really have a lot of AT's that aren't universal besides the Stun Jacket.

One of the major milestones I had was learning the Mk Mu, not because of difficulty but through lack of MU exp. It took me a while to get it actually haha (early 09)

Plateaus for me lately have been a lot lf trivial things that most people may not consider a big deal. For example not whiffing moves, at first glance it seems easy to just not do it once figured out. But I view things a bit more on a scientific level if you will. I need to know everything about why something does or does not work, I also test through things over and over to make sure I can apply my findings.

The biggest problem for me was learning to be patient. Up until Mlg DC you can look at all of my vids and they could easily be compared to the way Leon, and Ramin play. At MLG DC I learned that that kinda playstyle can only bring LIMITED SUCCESS. The reason is because of the constant dashing and foxtrotting.

It's really bad to do despite popular belief, it has its uses but not as often as they depict it to. What I mean is that you are able to be punished when dashing or foxtrotting BEFORE you can shield. At higher end competition that style will lost more times than not.

For example take Neo (founder of that style) while he's very intelligent his success was always capped because of his playstyle. Sure he beat a lot of good players, but higher up he often would not (see ADHD, Ally, Havok, Dehf, Meep) just to name a few.

Now on to a style that is capable of unlimited progress, You've probably guessed it... MikeHAZE's playstyle. Walking and shielding only on reaction is an amazing thing. You will never be caught off guard and you'll ALWAYS be able to react and counter act any situation.

If you want a real example take my performance in singles for MLG DC I got 33rd needless to say that is ****ing horrible in my eyes. After being eliminated from Singles I knew exactly what the issue was(my playstyle which is the same as Neo, Ramin, Leon, Minty and Anaky's). So the rest of the day I did nothing but break all of those previous spacing and approaching habits that came with that playstyle and I did everything I could to refine it to a similar fashion of how Mike plays.
Needless to say I got 4th in Doubles afterwards the next day beating some really amazing players.

Finally the additional steps I take to improve are constantly playing perfecting my craft, learning the ins and outs of other characters frame data (to gind out the best punish given the situation), having a notebook with analytical MU descriptions mainly on how to cripple each character, and trying to say on top of who's beating who and improving and looking at vids.

That's pretty much it

Player-3

Smash Hero
what do you do vs lucario?

i usually win but i think the problem is i'm trying to punish things that can't be punished, i.e spaced fsmash/ftilts on block and dairs

Nike.

Smash Hero
Dang moose cool story bro'd you HARD.

I got 33rd at MLG Dallas. I felt happy for myself actually x) Who were the 2 ppl you lost to?

_Kadaj_

Smash Hero
what do you do vs lucario?

i usually win but i think the problem is i'm trying to punish things that can't be punished, i.e spaced fsmash/ftilts on block and dairs
You can punish all of those if you buffer out of your shield drop animation P3.
The only thing that would be difficult would be Fsmash at higher percents because of the shield push, if you are anywhere with in jab range then you should always be able to punish.
Mostly what I do vs Lucario is walk, he can't do much to that. Though you have to be careful of ho you are zoning. You don't want him rolling behind you or shooting and AS while you are trying to SHFF a move. Besides walking I like to put him in really bad pressure situations to force rolls, from there I'll set up juggles or depending on stage position an edgeguard.
Cool.

So where did Mike's video thread go?
it's still around it's just not updated

Dang moose cool story bro'd you HARD.

I got 33rd at MLG Dallas. I felt happy for myself actually x) Who were the 2 ppl you lost to?
I know lol, I lost to meep game 3 ( I usually beat him :() and GDX game 3 as well. Losing to him is what made me realize just how limited playing with that kinda playstyle is. We played the next day a few games and I won those

_Kadaj_

Smash Hero
Ah ic i had assumed u started picking him for the MK MU
The MK ditto is fun but he doesn't have as many options OoS vs himself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiBHMrAr5MQ

So DIing straight up guarantees you to not get KOd when Diddy fsmashes you at a high percent?
I actually do a lot of Dbl Stick DIing, if SDIed correctly you won't get hit by the 2nd hit. But yeah DIing UP and into the stage is best for moves that send you sideways

ChKn

Smash Ace
I just always do a DI to the left/right stage boundary and fair lol.

Also, how did you start to go about training as MK?

earla

Smash Lord
1. why level 9's?

2. can you please give me a list of some specific frame perfect things + grab combos + combo strings to practice?

Player-3

Smash Hero
You can punish all of those if you buffer out of your shield drop animation P3.
The only thing that would be difficult would be Fsmash at higher percents because of the shield push, if you are anywhere with in jab range then you should always be able to punish.
Mostly what I do vs Lucario is walk, he can't do much to that. Though you have to be careful of ho you are zoning. You don't want him rolling behind you or shooting and AS while you are trying to SHFF a move. Besides walking I like to put him in really bad pressure situations to force rolls, from there I'll set up juggles or depending on stage position an edgeguard.
oh, because normally my playstyle revolves around dashing away to space alot so i guess thats why i'm losing, losing way too much ground to his (t)rolls

yeah buffering out of shield drop i do that, but i always attempt to dash > db punish, i never thought about using jab

thanks

xxmoosexx

Smash Lord
Any tips on Falco?

How would you approach? Rush-down? Or walk?(Or pull it TKD style and tech the **** out of them by dodging their lasers and hitting them with yours in their downtime).

OH. I HAVE A GREAT IDEA. THIS WILL TAKE UP YOUR TIME.
Give us a quick synopsis of each high to top tier character that tells us what action you would take in situations that are important, common, or good times to rack up damage.

AND

Tell us any tips you've picked up against these characters.

_Kadaj_

Smash Hero
I'll get back at this thread in a few days, and yeah moose I can't do that. If I told someone everything I knew it would only stunt that players growth.

It may seem dumb but I understand 100% now why Neo wouldn't tell me everything I wanted to know. It's because if you don't find somethings out on your own then you won't progress.

Looking back on it me and Neo were pretty tight but he would never tell me more than basic tips and knowledge.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
I'll get back at this thread in a few days, and yeah moose I can't do that. If I told someone everything I knew it would only stunt that players growth.

It may seem dumb but I understand 100% now why Neo wouldn't tell me everything I wanted to know. It's because if you don't find somethings out on your own then you won't progress.

Looking back on it me and Neo were pretty tight but he would never tell me more than basic tips and knowledge.
That's pretty much how I learned.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Hear on Marf boreds we doan lyk threds for 1 specific derp.

:herp:

xxmoosexx

Smash Lord
oh well

looks like i will have to find a different way to satiate my terrible work ethic. :3

...but basic tips and knowledge would be greatly appreciated concerning Marth vs Falco

Top Bottom