• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
No matter what, the first Kremling replacements were going to be loathed, and justifiably so, it's just a matter of how massive the gap in quality between the Kremlings and Tikis was that people found off-putting. Wooden Goomba is really an appropriate term for them. I still prefer the Snowmads to the Tikis, although I can see why some people don't.

Not expecting K. Rool today, but it's not out of the realm of possibility. Just remember, no matter who gets confirmed, K. Rool's chances aren't hurt, because "slot competition" is a myth.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
No matter what, the first Kremling replacements were going to be loathed, and justifiably so, it's just a matter of how massive the gap in quality between the Kremlings and Tikis was that people found off-putting. Wooden Goomba is really an appropriate term for them. I still prefer the Snowmads to the Tikis, although I can see why some people don't.

Not expecting K. Rool today, but it's not out of the realm of possibility. Just remember, no matter who gets confirmed, K. Rool's chances aren't hurt, because "slot competition" is a myth.
What? Some people prefer the Tikis to the Snowmads? Where do these mad people come from!?

Honestly. One of the reasons I disliked Returns, other than no Kremlings, what I found to be very few extremely interesting levels, and a lackluster soundtrack (Sunset Shore is an exception.) was that the Tikis were so...bland. The Kremlings had character, and background, and are DK's villains. It's not that this can't change, but the Tikis were such a poor substitute, and Tiki Tong was one of my least favorite bosses ever. I know Miyamoto was breathing down your neck, but come on Retro.

The Snowmads on the other hand had personality of their own, had interesting character designs, felt like a DK villain that wasn't a substitute for Kremlings, but was there to share the universe, and they were made better by David Wise's soundtrack masterpiece supplementing their game. They weren't Kremlings by a longshot, but they were pretty amazing.

Also Bashmaster. God damn.

I dunno man, I feel like sometimes people just shouldn't have opinions.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
What? Some people prefer the Tikis to the Snowmads? Where do these mad people come from!?

Honestly. One of the reasons I disliked Returns, other than no Kremlings, what I found to be very few extremely interesting levels, and a lackluster soundtrack (Sunset Shore is an exception.) was that the Tikis were so...bland. The Kremlings had character, and background, and are DK's villains. It's not that this can't change, but the Tikis were such a poor substitute, and Tiki Tong was one of my least favorite bosses ever. I know Miyamoto was breathing down your neck, but come on Retro.

The Snowmads on the other hand had personality of their own, had interesting character designs, felt like a DK villain that wasn't a substitute for Kremlings, but was there to share the universe, and they were made better by David Wise's soundtrack masterpiece supplementing their game. They weren't Kremlings by a longshot, but they were pretty amazing.

Also Bashmaster. God damn.

I dunno man, I feel like sometimes people just shouldn't have opinions.
I would've actually been very content with the Snowmads if their leader wasn't such a blatant K. Rool knock-off.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I would've actually been very content with the Snowmads if their leader wasn't such a blatant K. Rool knock-off.
See, I didn't get that impression, but I can certainly see it. I guess I can just sort of ignore it, because I loved every single other aspect of them.

The owls really made me laugh for some reason. "Hoo?!"

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
DKVine recently did a ranking of DKC's boss fights, and these were the results...

==Top 21==
Kaptain K.Rool
King K. Rool
Arich
Bashmaster Bear
Barbos
King Zing
Kleever
Skowl
Lord Fredrik
King Krusha K. Rool
Baron K. Roolenstein
Pompy
Belcha
Thugly
Ba-Boom
Kaos
Mole Miner Max
Dogadon (as Chunky)
Bleak
Puftoss
Mad Jack
==Bottom 21==
Kreepy Krow
Dogadon (as Diddy)
Krow
Armydillo (2nd)
Armydillo (1st)
Squirt
Stu
Fugu
Mugly
Queen B.
Skurvy Krew
Kudgel
Colonel Pluck
Tiki Tong
Mangoruby
King Kut Out
Master Necky Sr.
Master Necky
Really Gnawty
Very Gnawty
Boss Dumb Drum

There's my ranking of all the bosses, at least at the current moment. Some analysis:
-Based on average boss position, the games from overall best to worst are:
DKCTF: 12.8
DKC3: 13.4
DKC2: 15.5
DK64: 22.5
DKCR: 28.3
DKC: 33.3
::It should be noted that a factor in my decision is the environment in which the boss is fought, which is why the DKC bosses scored so poorly. Having a bunch of identical banana backdrops does not make for interesting boss battles.
-It looked to me like there might be some outliers hurting the overall ranking of the games, so I excluded the worst boss from each game (Boss Dumb Drum, Kudgel, Squirt, King Kut Out, Mangoruby, Fugu) to see if that radically changed the statistics. It did not change the ranking of games at all, but it did show that DKCR had the most consistent quality of bosses (consistently mediocre), while DKCTF and DKC2 appeared to have one significant-ish outlier each.
DKCTF: 9.6 (-3.2)
DKC3: 11.2 (-2.2)
DKC2: 12 (-3.5)
DK64: 20.4 (-2.1)
DKCR: 27.1 (-1.2)
DKC: 31.8 (-1.5)
-The ranking of final bosses goes: DKC2>DKC>DK64>DKC3>DKCTF>DKCR
-The ranking of first bosses goes: DKCTF>DKC3>DKC2>DK64>DKCR>DKC
-DKCR is the only one without a top ten boss, while DKC2 and DKCTF each have THREE top ten bosses.
-The top 21 (top half) spread goes:
DKC3: 6
DKCTF: 5
DK64: 4
DKC2: 3 (all top ten, thus illustrating the uneven quality of DKC2's bosses)
DKCR: 2
DKC: 1
::Ultimately, if you consider the top 21 good and bottom 21 bad (debatable*), only DKCTF and DKC3 have more good than bad bosses.

*In actuality, my opinion is that the bottom 10 are bad, the next 8 are ok, the next 10 are good, the next 6 are great, and the upper 8 are excellent. I don't believe there are as many bad bosses as good ones.

I thought a few bosses were oddly high or oddly low, but for the most part, the list is pretty agreeable.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I wouldn't rank Freddy above Krusha, because holy **** Krusha. I certainly enjoyed Freddy's fight though.

Surprised Arich is so high. I guess it was a pretty memorable boss, but there's others I'd put up there.

Also it's Bashmaster the Unbreakable, damn it DKVine...

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
See, I didn't get that impression, but I can certainly see it. I guess I can just sort of ignore it, because I loved every single other aspect of them.

The owls really made me laugh for some reason. "Hoo?!"
The Owls were actually super cool, pretty much the only part of the Snowmads I liked. I love the cutscene before the Owl boss and how pissed DK gets when he smashes the banana. The boss battle with the Owl boss is also great.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Unsurprising the DKC1 boss fights are at the bottom. DKC1 is a fantastic game, but every single boss barring the king himself is a joke.

(Also, I feel like an idiot, but how do I spoiler?)

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Unsurprising the DKC1 boss fights are at the bottom. DKC1 is a fantastic game, but every single boss barring the king himself is a joke.

(Also, I feel like an idiot, but how do I spoiler?)
[ collapse ] [ /collapse ] or [ spoiler ] [ /spoiler ]

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
The Snowmads on the other hand had personality of their own, had interesting character designs, felt like a DK villain that wasn't a substitute for Kremlings, but was there to share the universe, and they were made better by David Wise's soundtrack masterpiece supplementing their game. They weren't Kremlings by a longshot, but they were pretty amazing..
I agree. I loved the Snowmad designs, and had their own flavour. Fredrick was an anomaly. I was quite surprised when I saw the huge number of similarities to K. Rool. Whether it was a homage or a ripoff, we'll see.

DKVine recently did a ranking of DKC's boss fights, and these were the results...

==Top 21==
Kaptain K.Rool
King K. Rool
Arich
Bashmaster Bear
Barbos
King Zing
Kleever
Skowl
Lord Fredrik
King Krusha K. Rool
Baron K. Roolenstein
Pompy
Belcha
Thugly
Ba-Boom
Kaos
Mole Miner Max
Dogadon (as Chunky)
Bleak
Puftoss
Mad Jack
==Bottom 21==
Kreepy Krow
Dogadon (as Diddy)
Krow
Armydillo (2nd)
Armydillo (1st)
Squirt
Stu
Fugu
Mugly
Queen B.
Skurvy Krew
Kudgel
Colonel Pluck
Tiki Tong
Mangoruby
King Kut Out
Master Necky Sr.
Master Necky
Really Gnawty
Very Gnawty
Boss Dumb Drum

There's my ranking of all the bosses, at least at the current moment. Some analysis:
-Based on average boss position, the games from overall best to worst are:
DKCTF: 12.8
DKC3: 13.4
DKC2: 15.5
DK64: 22.5
DKCR: 28.3
DKC: 33.3
::It should be noted that a factor in my decision is the environment in which the boss is fought, which is why the DKC bosses scored so poorly. Having a bunch of identical banana backdrops does not make for interesting boss battles.
-It looked to me like there might be some outliers hurting the overall ranking of the games, so I excluded the worst boss from each game (Boss Dumb Drum, Kudgel, Squirt, King Kut Out, Mangoruby, Fugu) to see if that radically changed the statistics. It did not change the ranking of games at all, but it did show that DKCR had the most consistent quality of bosses (consistently mediocre), while DKCTF and DKC2 appeared to have one significant-ish outlier each.
DKCTF: 9.6 (-3.2)
DKC3: 11.2 (-2.2)
DKC2: 12 (-3.5)
DK64: 20.4 (-2.1)
DKCR: 27.1 (-1.2)
DKC: 31.8 (-1.5)
-The ranking of final bosses goes: DKC2>DKC>DK64>DKC3>DKCTF>DKCR
-The ranking of first bosses goes: DKCTF>DKC3>DKC2>DK64>DKCR>DKC
-DKCR is the only one without a top ten boss, while DKC2 and DKCTF each have THREE top ten bosses.
-The top 21 (top half) spread goes:
DKC3: 6
DKCTF: 5
DK64: 4
DKC2: 3 (all top ten, thus illustrating the uneven quality of DKC2's bosses)
DKCR: 2
DKC: 1
::Ultimately, if you consider the top 21 good and bottom 21 bad (debatable*), only DKCTF and DKC3 have more good than bad bosses.

*In actuality, my opinion is that the bottom 10 are bad, the next 8 are ok, the next 10 are good, the next 6 are great, and the upper 8 are excellent. I don't believe there are as many bad bosses as good ones.

I thought a few bosses were oddly high or oddly low, but for the most part, the list is pretty agreeable.
Fredrick is quite high.

Boss Drum Bomb.... God I hate him. It took me quite some time to figure out how to beat him...

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Perhaps I can spur some creativity to pass the time...
Every newcomer comes with some promotional artwork that goes on their character page.
What would K. Rool's depict?
Perhaps some may want to draw their ideas? Maybe compete with the Arts and Crafts Thread Ridley Support Thread? :awesome:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Completely unintentional actually.

Another reason I'd have preferred Bashmaster to be the leader is that he wouldn't feel as much like a K. Nockoff.
Agreed.

Every newcomer comes with some promotional artwork that goes on their character page.
Perhaps some may want to draw their ideas? Maybe compete with the Arts and Crafts Thread Ridley Support Thread? :awesome:
I'd die a happy man if it depicted K. Rool and Bowser thwarting their respective nemeses.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Thanks.

I don't have Tropical Freeze yet, but just seeing Bashmaster in action and hearing his theme makes me wish he had been the Snowmad Leader. Polar Bears > Walruses in terms of coolness imo.
Honestly, I completely agree.

Freddy was cool and all, but Bashmaster was just so badass. His theme, and the boss fight are just incredible.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
It has to be something that really plays up K. Rool's narcissism. Something as silly and cartoony as him sitting on a throne that's placed on top of a beaten up DK and Diddy would work splendid. Either that or some kind of King Trio artwork with him, Bowser and Dedede, though I imagine that'd work better in the trailer itself.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
It has to be something that really plays up K. Rool's narcissism. Something as silly and cartoony as him sitting on a throne that's placed on top of a beaten up DK and Diddy would work splendid. Either that or some kind of King Trio artwork with him, Bowser and Dedede, though I imagine that'd work better in the trailer itself.
Forget my artwork idea. His is better.

Zynux

Smash Lord
When I first played Returns, I had no Kremling bias, and didn't care much about the series then. However, I always thought the tikis were really uninspired and seemed a bit out of place. Possibly them being inanimate objects (wood and instruments) being animated also may have rubbed me the wrong way.

To be fair, it is good that the Tikis were very much their own thing. As everyone could notice, the Snowmad were a... "homage" to the Kremlings (putting it nicely). I also did enjoy the hypnosis stuff, as it did leave to some hilarious and great moments (that opening where a Tiki tries to hypnotize and control Donkey Kong LOL), Still, I couldn't bring myself to care about the tikis. I guess the only reason why I enjoyed the Snowmads more was because they were more expressive overall and were easier to relate to. I actually somewhat wanted to beat the crap out of the Snowmads; the tikis left me feeling nothing toward them.

When it comes to Tiki Tong, I think most people's problem with him is his boss fight, and less about him. I was more disappointed with the fact that you never really fight that Colossal Tiki that you enter to fight Tiki Tong, whom I was convinced was going to be the final boss fight.

However, I really did enjoy the before fight/after fight cinematics with the bosses from the Tikis. Very disappointed Tropical Freeze bosses had no such thing. :(

When it comes to K. Rool's trailer, I dunno if Bowser or Dedede will show up, but I expect them to be featured with him in a PoTD or two, with Sakurai commenting about the Kings.

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
I think K. Rool would be a pretty good choice for this Direct, actually. It would make sense to reveal a character that's popular among dedicated fans in an event specifically directed towards dedicated fans instead of at a high-profile event like E3, where they'd be better off trying to appeal to more "general" fans who aren't following every bit of news about the game. Joe Casual probably isn't going to give a **** about who K. Rool and Ridley are, compared to the ability to play as his avatar and that cool psychic Pokémon.

Last edited:

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Fittingly enough, this is my 100th post. In less than an hour, all of our dreams for the past two years could come to fruition. Let's all hope. Hope that in less than an hour, we can make this the official thread theme:

Kickback

Smash Cadet
Well I'm rather doubtfull on if the kremlings beeing in hurts ore improves k.rool's chances. we will with out a doubt see the king in the next smash but will he be playable ore just a boss in the subspace? Well all things considering we could be worse of like the poor ridley fans man this direct realy deconfirmed alot of charecters

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Kritters appearing certainly doesn't confirm K. Rool, but it shows that the Kremlings are at least on Sakurai's mind. Also the lack of Dixie reveal bodes well too.

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
So, in that Direct, the Kremling Kings minions have returned. Good news for us!

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
The takeaway?

KISS THOSE GODDAMN ANTI-KREMLING CONSPIRACY THEORIES GOOD-BYE!

The Kritters reappear for the first time since 2008. Note, while this doesn't confirm K. Rool, this kills off all of that BS that Nintendo has forbidden their use, or that Miyamoto will personally erase them from any game they're in, or, most annoyingly, that they're owned by Rare. And K. Rool absolutely benefits from that. Hallelujah, oh glory.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
On Ridley, I'll live :\, but at least it gives me much more hope for the other reptilian leader.

Davidreamcatcha

Smash Ace
Kritters appearing certainly doesn't confirm K. Rool, but it shows that the Kremlings are at least on Sakurai's mind. Also the lack of Dixie reveal bodes well too.
It's more along the lines that the relevancy argument has pretty much been put to rest in terms of Smash. Which means he has so few obstacles now outside of Dixie (who really isn't that much of an obstacle in the first place)

Maybe Dixie/Rool could even share a trailer like random-ass water pokemon and Charizard did.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Kremlings! :grin:

I love how K. Rool's basically confirmed at this point.

Steelia

Smash Champion
The Kremlings and 3DS City Trial-esque exclusive mode for the 3DS version were some of the most hype things in the stream today. But mostly the Kremlings. gg for hopes to be dashed like Ridley ]:

D

Deleted member

Well... I think that the Kritters greatly increased King K. Rool's chances and dropped Dixie Kong's chances...
This was a big Direct... lots of big news and lots of characters that were disconfirmed.

Davidreamcatcha

Smash Ace
Blame me for not really caring about Pokemon outside of Smash relevancy. And I've never heard of this one before especially in regards to that

Top Bottom