• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
I have no idea. Would be cool, though. :D Even though I'd prefer his original DKC look if given the choice, I'll take any design. But cannonballs must make it into his moveset lol

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
That was from GameFAQs, who said we'd be getting a special Smash Nintendo Direct for Brawl's Japanese anniversary. Didn't turn out to be true, but that doesn't mean a redesigned K. Rool is out of the question.

Which brings me to a separate question that occurred to me after listening to a Kongversation podcast: since his appearance in Smash, Diddy's popguns and jetpack are now seen as vital to the character in Retro's games...he's almost never seen without them anymore. If K. Rool were to become playable and use his blunderbuss and helicopter pack, like so many of us have expected for so long, would all future K. Rool fights use these weapons as well, just because they're part of his moveset?
duhh... idunno. probablly. maybe.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I think K. Rool would most likely always be associated with the blunderbuss and/or hover pack, but in the case that he continues to take on new personas in each hypothetical new boss appearance, he'd probably be using different weapons and gadgets. Viking K. Rool would probably use an axe, for example.

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
Hmmm, the blunderbuss seems to me like K. Rool's more likely weapon of choice than the hoverpack, tbh.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Hmmm, the blunderbuss seems to me like K. Rool's more likely weapon of choice than the hoverpack, tbh.
Yeah, the fact that Nintendo higher-ups didn't even know who Kiddy Kong is in a recent Tropical Freeze interview is revealing as to how nonexistent DKC3 is in their minds. Sakurai might dig a bit deeper, of course, but K. Rool gets plenty of great moves from his brother's blunderbuss anyways.

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
Yeah, the fact that Nintendo higher-ups didn't even know who Kiddy Kong is in a recent Tropical Freeze interview is revealing as to how nonexistent DKC3 is in their minds. Sakurai might dig a bit deeper, of course, but K. Rool gets plenty of great moves from his brother's blunderbuss anyways.

While it wasn't my fav, was DKC3 really that bad? o.O

And yeah, he can shoot cannonballs from it, and smack people in the face lol

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
According to this interview, Kiddy is a virtual nobody in their eyes (though there's still the theory that their confusion is because he's named "Dinky" in Japan). Retro did play through all three Country and Land games before making DKCR, but in regard to DKC3, they may have been the only ones. So yeah, if this is any indication, Funky is almost a lock for the fourth Kong, since he even won IGN's poll of 'which Kong deserves to return' poll a while back.

D

Deleted member

While Funky as 4th character seems cool and all, the fact that Funky hates adventuring kind of makes the idea bittersweet.
It's like, he doesn't belong there, but is just there for the sake of being there.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Heyy, K. Rool! He's a cool guy. Love the music for him in DKC and his other persona in DKC2 (especially DKC2). Make it into Smash Bros. already, ya slacker!

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
Heyy, K. Rool! He's a cool guy. Love the music for him in DKC and his other persona in DKC2 (especially DKC2). Make it into Smash Bros. already, ya slacker!

That would be awesome. But, this is Sakurai we're talking about... I have a feeling we'll be disappointed, but I'm still crossing my fingers.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Sakurai is one of the few people I'd trust with designing a Smash roster, since he's included basically every popular request to date, with the exception of "needs our best efforts" Ridley.

Who's our alternative? Miyamoto? *laughs*

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
Ridley needs to be in the game as well.

But since this is the K. Rool thread, I'm still going to hope for my most wanted newcomer, regardless of fighting style or design.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Too bad Ninty seems to have completely forgotten about our Kremling King, though...

I only see evidence of them not remembering Kiddy. That's good for most people, honestly. Even though I like him.

Honestly, Dixie was as forgotten if not more so than K. Rool. Don't forget, they at least said "No crocodiles" in Returns, which is not the case this time around. (I sure hope they learned their lesson.) And guess what? Dixie is back, and I honestly think K. Rool is too in some form.

As for the 4th character slot, they don't seem to be specifying whether it's Kong or something else. My money is still on K. Rool or Funky for various reasons I've already stated. I also don't see why they wouldn't just come out and say it if it was Funky. K. Rool is a better surprise. Still think either has a good shot though.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Has anyone considered the possibility of the fourth character being a new Kong? I mean, if it were someone as obvious as Funky, I'd be a bit surprised that they decided to keep it a secret. Maybe they're hiding the character from us because it'll be someone few people are expecting: a new character entirely.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
A new Kong would be interesting to say the least...maybe that redneck Kong that was in the Diddy Kong Pilot art? Honkey Kong?

So yeah, counterpoints one and two have been revamped to reflect the announcement of Tropical Freeze. I think I've covered them pretty thoroughly, but I'd love to hear suggestions on anything to include or remove upon revision.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Has anyone considered the possibility of the fourth character being a new Kong? I mean, if it were someone as obvious as Funky, I'd be a bit surprised that they decided to keep it a secret. Maybe they're hiding the character from us because it'll be someone few people are expecting: a new character entirely.

See I'm sort of trying to guess that they might do that. I don't really understand why they would, where I can understand from Retro's point of view why they'd try new villains. Adding a new OC as a playable instead of someone like Funky or K. Rool (assuming K. Rool doesn't show up as a boss, although I think he will) just seems like a big slap in the face.

It could happen, but I really, really hope not.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Worst case scenario is that it's one of the following: Super Kong, DK Jr., Mario, Mii. I could stomach an OC over any of those four.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Worst case scenario is that it's one of the following: Super Kong, DK Jr., Mario, Mii. I could stomach an OC over any of those four.
Yknow, when you put it that way...

If its a Mii I'll puke, and then sob audibly. :cry:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
If they were using Miis, I'd expect the introduction of "Mii Kong," which is comprised of DK's body, but with a hollow face where the Mii's goes. But really...my faith in Retro's character selection might not be high, but it's not -that- low, at least yet.

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
I wonder why Nintendo themselves can't make other DK games and bring K. Rool back themselves? I don't get it. I love Retro Studios, I admit it, they produced some amazing games, but I can't help but start feeling like they're prejudiced.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
I fully support King K.Rool! Next to Ridley, he's one of the most deserving villains to be in Smash! Hell, I even heard rumors that K.Rool is secretly the one who orchestrated the villainous vikings in Tropical Freeze, which wouldn't be too surprising. Still, go K.Rool!

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I fully support King K.Rool! Next to Ridley, he's one of the most deserving villains to be in Smash! Hell, I even heard rumors that K.Rool is secretly the one who orchestrated the villainous vikings in Tropical Freeze, which wouldn't be too surprising. Still, go K.Rool!

Once again, your artistic portrayal of a character is nothing short of superb, going off of your work on Ridley and Bowser Jr. And do you have a source for that rumor by any chance?

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Once again, your artistic portrayal of a character is nothing short of superb, going off of your work on Ridley and Bowser Jr. And do you have a source for that rumor by any chance?
Yes, but I think someone may have removed it. It was post on 4chan claiming that K.Rool will return and some fuzzy looking screenshot of what looked like a new K.Rool concept design.

Edit: GODDAMMIT they did remove it, sorry about that. I'm sure someone must have an article on this somewhere, especially considering how quickly this stuff gets out.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Wow, that's an impressive drawing. That's sort of how I imagine and want K. Rool to appear in Smash myself. Anatomically, there's a perfect balance between musculature and gluttony, and the overall appearance given off meets at a perfect point between fearsome and insane.

Groose

Smash Champion
Ahoy, fellow Kutthroats! A new poll has been launched in this very board by the user "Zema" I think that's their name.This poll is unusual because you can vote for ONE and only ONE character that you think would fit best in Smash 4. But...

Our favorite Kremling is currently tied for THIRD place with the likes of Palutena! TIED FOR THIRD! Ridley and Mac are thrashing us!

This is a rallying call! All Kremlings, VOTE. http://smashboards.com/threads/the-not-so-big-individual-popularity-poll-for-ssb4.337582/

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Ahoy, fellow Kutthroats! A new poll has been launched in this very board by the user "Zema" I think that's their name.This poll is unusual because you can vote for ONE and only ONE character that you think would fit best in Smash 4. But...

Our favorite Kremling is currently tied for THIRD place with the likes of Palutena! TIED FOR THIRD! Ridley and Mac are thrashing us!

This is a rallying call! All Kremlings, VOTE. http://smashboards.com/threads/the-not-so-big-individual-popularity-poll-for-ssb4.337582/
I'll vote for K.Rool, but I will also probably vote for Ridley. 8C

Groose

Smash Champion
I'll vote for K.Rool, but I will also probably vote for Ridley. 8C
Only one vote allowed. I was undecided between the two... but then I gave it a good long think and went with K. Rool. As I said before, it's on the grounds that he has such a wide movepool and would fit extremely well in Smash.

Voted!

And which design would you personally prefer in SSB4WiiU/3DS if given the choice, for K. Rool?
I'd opt for his original design. It's the most iconic and, in my firm opinion, the best. Besides, he could have his original look with his DKC2 musket and his boxing gloves as attacks.

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
Only one vote allowed. I was undecided between the two... but then I gave it a good long think and went with K. Rool. As I said before, it's on the grounds that he has such a wide movepool and would fit extremely well in Smash.

I'd opt for his original design. It's the most iconic and, in my firm opinion, the best. Besides, he could have his original look with his DKC2 musket and his boxing gloves as attacks.
Indeed. If there are no legal hurdles or whatever to go through, Sakurai is just plain stupid id he doesn't include him. :p

And I like that idea. Reminds me of the meld of all the designs in the OP. lol

Groose

Smash Champion
Indeed. If there are no legal hurdles or whatever to go through, Sakurai is just plain stupid id he doesn't include him. :p

And I like that idea. Reminds me of the meld of all the designs in the OP. lol

Last time I checked, no legal hurdles involved.

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte

Last time I checked, no legal hurdles involved.

"Kool". XD Well, I just got worried he was still owned by Rare. I posted "K. Rool for Smash 4" on Miiverse a while back, and someone told me Nintendo had to get permission to include K. Rool in those games.

Groose

Smash Champion
From my understanding, Donkey Kong Country is fair game. I am not an insider or a lawyer (except in video games :p), so I do lack knowledge here.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
From my understanding, Donkey Kong Country is fair game. I am not an insider or a lawyer (except in video games :p), so I do lack knowledge here.
Everything in the Donkey Kong universe is owned by Nintendo, even though Rare made most of the characters. Hell, we already have a Rare-created character in Smash Bros, AKA Diddy Kong, I'm sure King K.Rool. Strangely enough, however, people as of late are also thinking that King K.Rool is too BIG for Smash Bros...K.Rool of all people. I know he's huge, even compared to Donkey Kong, who's already really big, but it's all BS if you ask me, just the gamefaqs trolls that are trying to piss us off like they did the Ridley fans like myself.

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
K. Rool too big for Smash? That's a laugh. :p The size comparisons in the OP make sense, and the Brawl h*ck of K. Rool I'm making is about Brawl Bowser's size, if not just a tad bigger. That's BS indeed.

Top Bottom