• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
Stop the arguing and unnecessary drama

Don't lash others for their opinions, we all need to respect the views and opinions of one another.

If you really heavily disagree with someone and/or their perspective, take it up in a non-aggressive way or just drop it - it's nothing to get hung up over.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Only think Kremling-related I might expect form this game is a sunken Crocodile Island perhaps.

Which, of coarse, would be totally awesome.

Thoughts about Kong K.Rool as a 4th playable character in DKCR2 btw?

That's an interesting thought. I'm not getting my hopes up for K. Rool as a PC in DKCR2, but it's certainly a pretty high probability given the nature of Vikings and their whole "take over everything" bit. I wouldn't be surprised to see him show up either, since they wouldn't have to introduce the Kremlings as enemies, but could keep K. Rool as a character.

However, right now I'm pleased enough with TF to not be too worried, and I also think they're working up to bringing the series back to its former glory. Oh Dixie, you say so many good things. I'm still hoping for either K. Rool or Funky as the PC, but mostly K. Rool.

Come on Retro, you have to know people miss them. Have to. AND IS ANYBODY ELSE ****ING PSYCHED THAT DAVID WISE IS THE COMPOSER? AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Oh, and I completely agree with Bkup that this has honestly no impact on his chances as a Smash character, and anyone who thinks that is stupid, considering the character roster was likely decided over a year ago.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I'm psyched David Wise is the composer. That's a big step in the right direction. Now Nintendo needs to rehire some of the Rare talent that brought us the 2 great Banjo games, the epic DKC trilogy, Perfect Dark (Nintendo could use a killer shooter IMO; that's the one genre they can't seem to get right), and Conker's Bad Fur Day.

And as for K. Rool as a playable character in DKC 5/R2, it could be him, it could be Kiddie, but I don't see it going any other way, unless we got say a new Kong, or more than 4 playable Kongs. Actually, now that I think about it, Tiny Kong makes a lot of sense, since she is similar to Dixie Kong, but still different enough to where she could be justified. However, if I had a choice, and I couldn't pick K. Rool, I'd totally go with Lanky Kong.

As for K. Rool in smash, he'd be a great hype inducer about 5 months out from the release. Still, it's hard to predict what the landscape will be then. We might still have only 12 characters confirmed by then, we might have 24.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
When people said DKCR2, I thought they were just referring to the 3DS version of DKCR. So they're two different things? Confused.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Yes, they are making a new one for the wii u.

It has dixie kong and another unrevealed character - both act the same role as diddy kong in DKCR

Diddy also returns...

It looks wonderful

D

Deleted member

What do you guys make of the fact that they are keeping the fourth character a secret? Surely that gives K. Rool a better chance of occupying that slot, if only slight. Why would they keep it a surprise if it wasn't surprising? No way would they keep Kiddy a secret and I doubt it's him, nobody likes that character. Maybe Funky Kong is a weird choice or even Cranky but K. Rool has a shot. If he's playable in that, I'd say that makes him a shoe-in. There's so much up in the air right now!

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
As far as the fourth character goes, I am predicting one, that it will be a heavy character to create a balance between two heavy and two light monkeys(?), and two, that it won't be Kiddy, a character who has been shunned to some extent within the DKC fanbase, not to speak of outside it. Funky is still my top guess at this point due to having a similar model to DK (same reason he and Dry Bowser were in Mario Karti Wii), but we could be in for a major surprise. I'd at least love to see the backpeddling from those who have already declared K. Rool unlikely because of this game (mainly on GameFAQs).

Also, this is more of a personal thought than anything else, but I think it bodes well for K. Rool being revealed relatively early that both Bowser and Donkey Kong, the two characters he'd probably be shown beating up the most in a trailer and screenshots due to being fellow heavyweights and rivals, are already confirmed.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
You know, I said Kong K.Rool on purpose, meaning it's K.Rool in an ape suit.

D

Deleted member

What also makes me optimistic for K. Rool is that Retro is branching out the universe, at all in Tropical Freeze. If they're bringing back Dixie and another character, I assume Cranky will fulfil the same role as in the first game, that's already a larger slice of the series' character base. K. Rool has to be a necessity at some point, even if his kremlings aren't returning in full form.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I think they'll go for Kremlings in the last Returns game to finish the triology with a Blast from the Past.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
With this game's reveal, it seems unrealistically optimistic to pass off the Kremlings' absence as them 'being saved' for a sequel. K. Rool will have to appear in Smash and force Retro into a corner as far as including him goes; at this point, Smash is a towering beast that determines game content, not vice versa.

Edit: That being said, Diddy's 'Blast From the Past' idea is too tantalizing. Shut up and take my banana coins!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I do hope that if K.Rool gets into Smash, Retro will have to use him. Then again, Sheik also never reappeared in Zelda after Melee, despite her 'popularity' (aka top tier placement :rolleyes: :smirk: ). I'm just trying to stay optimistic. Seeing the plot in DKCR2 involves DK travelling to other Islands, it makes sence they choose the Vikings. Am sure that if DK Island gets invaded again, it'll be by the Kremlings. ;)

D

Deleted member

It's strange how Sakurai has never mentioned K. Rool. I may be wrong. By comparison he has talked about every other newcomer of that level of popularity.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
If it is indeed K.Rool as the 4tg char or Krusha atleast then i will purchase the game atm im not no hate just that im broke.

Also someone i dunni who said that in a Interview panel at E3 Sakurai was asked if Mewtwo will return and he said ''im thinking about it''

Can i have a source please? Article link or whatever?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It's strange how Sakurai has never mentioned K. Rool. I may be wrong. By comparison he has talked about every other newcomer of that level of popularity.

Maybe cause Ridley was so controversial and had just about the loudest support base he got mentoined? Can't recall comments about Megaman by Sakurai either. Nor Mewtwo's exclusion or Little Mac. I'm not upset about this at all.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Maybe cause Ridley was so controversial and had just about the loudest support base he got mentoined? Can't recall comments about Megaman by Sakurai either. Nor Mewtwo's exclusion or Little Mac. I'm not upset about this at all.

He commented on Mega Man's popularity pre-Melee, but the others? Nah. Sakurai not mentioning K. Rool means nothing, since he never mentioned Olimar, Lucario, Wario or even Diddy pre-Brawl.

D

Deleted member

I realise it's meaningless. I was more pushing for any information on what he thinks about the characters whatsoever.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
In that case, I can't recall him ever mentioning K. Rool, but judging by his comments on him in his in-game trophies, I'd say his opinion of him is fairly high. As I understand it, Sakurai wrote the Melee trophy descriptions himself, and K. Rool had a pretty favorable one.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Because Sakurai was always raving about Wii Fit Trainer, amirite? :awesome:

D

Deleted member

In that case, I can't recall him ever mentioning K. Rool, but judging by his comments on him in his in-game trophies, I'd say his opinion of him is fairly high. As I understand it, Sakurai wrote the Melee trophy descriptions himself, and K. Rool had a pretty favorable one.
Didn't he say Kap'n K. Rool was K. Rool's brother? :lol:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
He didn't do the descriptions in Brawl, and said no such thing in Melee, so I'm going to assume no. ;)

D

Deleted member

Weird how King K. Rool could very well be the only major newcomer that has no definitive opinion by Sakurai one way or another that we know of. I feel as K. Rool's chances of being playable is dependent on whenever or not Sakurai is interested. Hopefully so because I don't want to see K. Rool die.

El Fonz0

Smash Apprentice
K. Rool's Final Smash should be feigning death.
when he feigns death, the match appears to end, complete with "WINNER: WHOEVER"
WHEN SUDDENLY HE GETS UP, AND...
uh
idk
something like that

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I remember in Melee it did say that, funnily enough.
Well, looking up his Melee trophy it says stuff about him being the Big boss of the DK franchise, with a serious eye tic, and being enough of a bumbler to have gained a few fans over the years. Also Blast-o-Matic. Nothing about Kaptain, although the Brawl trophy does say:

"And his brother, Kaptain K. Rool"

D

Deleted member

Well, looking up his Melee trophy it says stuff about him being the Big boss of the DK franchise, with a serious eye tic, and being enough of a bumbler to have gained a few fans over the years. Also Blast-o-Matic. Nothing about Kaptain, although the Brawl trophy does say:

"And his brother, Kaptain K. Rool"
Oh, I may have been wrong, then. Still quite a funny quote.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
When people said DKCR2, I thought they were just referring to the 3DS version of DKCR. So they're two different things? Confused.
DKCR for the 3DS is henceforth referred to as "DKCR 3D(S)".
Also, this is more of a personal thought than anything else, but I think it bodes well for K. Rool being revealed relatively early that both Bowser and Donkey Kong, the two characters he'd probably be shown beating up the most in a trailer and screenshots due to being fellow heavyweights and rivals, are already confirmed.
I think K. Rool will either be revealed either as one of the first two newcomers post-this trailer or somewhere in the middle of the pack of newcomer confirmations, much like Sonic and King Dedede were.
With this game's reveal, it seems unrealistically optimistic to pass off the Kremlings' absence as them 'being saved' for a sequel. K. Rool will have to appear in Smash and force Retro into a corner as far as including him goes; at this point, Smash is a towering beast that determines game content, not vice versa.
Retro Studios knows we miss the Kremlings. The lack of Kremlings this far seems like they're building up towards it, especially with a lack of K. Rool. Like I stated earlier in the thread, if they say have K. Rool and the Kremlings "plotting something so diabolical it took a 1/2 game absence to prepare", that would be pretty epic.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
What do you guys make of the fact that they are keeping the fourth character a secret? Surely that gives K. Rool a better chance of occupying that slot, if only slight. Why would they keep it a surprise if it wasn't surprising? No way would they keep Kiddy a secret and I doubt it's him, nobody likes that character. Maybe Funky Kong is a weird choice or even Cranky but K. Rool has a shot. If he's playable in that, I'd say that makes him a shoe-in. There's so much up in the air right now!
Exactly why I said the most likely charcters for that fourth slot are:

Cranky
Funky
K Rool
Or a new character

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Yes, they are making a new one for the wii u.

It has dixie kong and another unrevealed character - both act the same role as diddy kong in DKCR

Diddy also returns...

It looks wonderful
Awesome, I'll just wait for that then. And am sure we'll probably all be happy for the most part on whoever the 4th character in it is.

So I take it the 3DS DKCR is no different from the Wii version as far as content? Figured that'd be the case, but just making sure.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Awesome, I'll just wait for that then. And am sure we'll probably all be happy for the most part on whoever the 4th character in it is.

So I take it the 3DS DKCR is no different from the Wii version as far as content? Figured that'd be the case, but just making sure.
It's got more content. 2 different gameplay modes, one with more items and health. And there is a whole new land

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Huh, guess I'll still keep that game in mind then, and get it if there's ever another 3DS title I want to get anytime soon. Not too many 3DS games are worth the $40 for me, but seems like that may be one of the exceptions.

I guess the other gameplay mode with the increased health items and stuff is a super easy version of the regular mode or something?

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I'm still hoping for Fredrick K. Roolenberger, aka Viking K. Rool, to make an appearance in DKCR 2! :shades:

BTW, that would be a great alternate outfit for K. Rool in smash bros! :)

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Also, in regard to this hypothetical third and final Retro DKC, I hope Nintendo doesn't listen too extensively to every Metroid/Star Fox fan bemoaning the fact that DK is getting a new game instead of them. Particularly with regard to Metroid, if Retro can make three great Prime games without hassle, it should be able to make three great DKC games just the same.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Also, in regard to this hypothetical third and final Retro DKC, I hope Nintendo doesn't listen too extensively to every Metroid/Star Fox fan bemoaning the fact that DK is getting a new game instead of them. Particularly with regard to Metroid, if Retro can make three great Prime games without hassle, it should be able to make three great DKC games just the same.
At least Rare only had a one year turnaround for the DKC games while Retro's are like 3. I'm sure any game Retro makes will be good, but even you can understand how after a hypothetical eight years (2010-2018) people would want something else from them, since they seem to only do one game at a time.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Am one of the biggest Metroid fans out there obviously, and even I'm not that selfish as to only want more and more Metroid from Retro. Star Fox fans are more justified though with their bemoaning, with how long it's been since the series has had a new game, not that it makes me any less happy about the new DK stuff. With how long DK had been in decline too after Rare left, Star Fox can still "wait in line" far as I'm concerned... Can't be any worse than those who waited for Killer Instinct as long as they did only to be slapped in the face when it was revealed to be an Xbox One exclusive and that every character besides Jago had to be paid for. Made me want the current Rare to just die off even more.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I think the thing is that the game is only taking 2 years to make, which is why they chose it. A Metroid Prime or fully fleshed out Star Fox game would take longer to make. I imagine that most of the staff at Retro Studios is making a DKC game, some of the Retro Studios staff are working on one or two other projects or games (such as Star Fox, Metroid, or a 3rd DKC Returns game) for the Wii U.

Also, Retro Studios is coming close to being a studio that can make two full fledged games IMO, so the limit is no longer an issue IMO. Hopefully they branch out and become like Rare where they make several top level games at once, with a different project and franchise being completed approximately once a year.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I definitely understand the longing for a new game from those series, considering Nintendo higher-ups have openly discussed discontinuing Star Fox and, you know, Metroid: Other M being what it is (though F-Zero has it worse than both of those IMO), since DKC itself experienced the same thing for a decade. It's just occasionally difficult to sympathize with a fanbase when portions of it are insulting DKC in the most entitled manner possible, rather than reaching out to Nintendo to branch out from their safe cash-cow franchises every once in a while.

Top Bottom