• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Im willing to bet after tropical freeze that Retro will move onto something else, if thats the case DK might go dormant for a few years after (save for march of the mini's games and perhaps something else on a smaller scale)

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I think they will go away from the franchise for a few years as well, and then return to it either at the end of the Wii U's lifespan or on the next Nintendo console. The money that Retro made from DKCR was far greater than Metroid Prime 1-3, even though Metroid Prime 1-3 were all much better games IMO (DKCR was still great though).

I also think that Retro Studios is still growing as a developer. I think they want to expand to like 20% more of of their current staff.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I think they will go away from the franchise for a few years as well, and then return to it either at the end of the Wii U's lifespan or on the next Nintendo console. The money that Retro made from DKCR was far greater than Metroid Prime 1-3, even though Metroid Prime 1-3 were all much better games IMO (DKCR was still great though).

I also think that Retro Studios is still growing as a developer. I think they want to expand to like 20% more of of their current staff.
ooh, maybe they could hire me once I'm done high school and college. I want to work there. lol.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I live pretty damn close to Retro Studios (within their state), but not sure I'd ever be cut out for what they do.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Has anyone embraced the possibility that K. Rool will be a surprise final boss ala Andross in Star Fox Adventures or Ganondorf in Twilight Princess (once you realize Zant isn't the actual villain)? Maybe K. Rool has found a way to make the vikings obey him, and he'll make a surprise appearance late or end game to reveal his menacing plan, along with his Kremlings.

Even if he's not playable, he could still be in.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Yeah, we've brought that up before. That's what people thought was gonna happen with DKCR, and once we 100%'d the game and whatnot, we expected a K. Rool final boss; NOPE! NOT THERE!!!

But yeah, people are wanting that, but we aren't expecting it after being let down with DKCR. There's also, of course, the possibility he's the fourth playable character Nintendo is hinting at, along with Donkey, Diddy, and Dixie Kong. Of course, it could also be Kiddie, or even say Funky, Chunk, Tiny, or Lanky Kong (and maybe Krusha could be a hidden character, like in DK64, which was cool).

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
if King K. Rool was the 4th playabe character, It would kinda make sense.

2 heavyweights, and 2 floaty characters. seems legit.

but it also wouldn't make sense because it's K. Rool.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
K. Rool playable for any reason = makes sense.

If you disagree with this logic, and you would rather there be an empty slot instead of K. Rool playable, then please, by all means, find a way to prepare yourself to be disappointed, and find a way to never come back here again.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
K. Rool playable for any reason = makes sense.

If you disagree with this logic, and you would rather there be an empty slot instead of K. Rool playable, then please, by all means, find a way to prepare yourself to be disappointed, and find a way to never come back here again.
smash is different than an actual game in the series.

I still would really like K. Rool as playable in tropical freeze.

D

Deleted member

According to Shortie's poll, K. Rool is now the most wanted character for Smash 4, passing up Ridley.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I'm really not confident about K. Rool being in Tropical Freeze, at all. I mean, sure, Retro developers aren't hyucking it up and claiming "There are no crocodiles in the game *laughs*," but that could still be interpreted as the Kremlings being too far from their minds to warrant a mention.

At least based on observations, K. Rool has never the most wanted character (probably Mewtwo), never the most wanted newcomer (Mega Man), and most likely not the most wanted Nintendo newcomer in the U.S. (Ridley). Taking all worldwide fanbases into consideration however, K. Rool has pretty much remained constant as the most wanted Nintendo newcomer across the globe...(unless you lump X/Y Mewtwo in with the normal one). More importantly, he remained constant throughout all of 2011 and 2012, during this game's infancy and the phases where Sakurai and co. were all but certainly scoping out potential newcomers. One of these four characters is already confirmed...I expect the other three to follow, maybe not soon, but definitely before this is all said and done.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
smash is different than an actual game in the series.

I still would really like K. Rool as playable in tropical freeze.
I was talking about K. Rool in Smash! :laugh: In Tropical Freeze, I'd be fine if they chose Kiddie or any of the 3 (basically one-shot) DK64 Kongs instead.
According to Shortie's poll, K. Rool is now the most wanted character for Smash 4, passing up Ridley.
Either way, they are the definite top 2 most wanted newcomers until either of them get revealed/either smash game is released. Well, unless a Gen 6 Pokémon just grabs everyone's attention, or the Pac-Man fanbase grows like a wildfire and has the hot passion as well.

Of course, no matter what, the demand and fanbase for Mewtwo will be the loudest until the time he is confirmed (if he is ever confirmed).

D

Deleted member

It's unfortunate that King K. Rool is most likely going to miss out on another title and that this game will be a "show up or die" moment for him. However, despite this, I still have a good feeling that we will be seeing both King K. Rool and Dixie Kong in the final roster.

Mega Man was in horrible shape before his confirmation in Super Smash Bros. 3DS/Wii-U. He received three cancellations after Keiji Inafune left, he was left out of Marvel Vs. Capcom 3, his iOS game was critically panned to the point where it never reached America, it doesn't look like he'll return for few more years (though I am confident it will be during this generation), he was reduced to an alt for Zero in Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 (which served as an insult) and also has to deal with a greedy company with unrealistically high expectations for their games (Capcom expected Dragon Dogma to sell ten million for one). What should also be noted is that he was a third-party and as such, is naturally incredibly difficult to fit in and there was a ton of licensing issues to get him in. With all of these things, he could have very well missed this game.

But behold, at E3, the popular newcomer was no other than the Blue Bomber himself. Sakurai saw Mega Man as worthy of a spot and as such, got him in. Mega Man was added for who he was, not for what he might do in the future.

The fact that Mega Man made the cut despite the possibility of Capcom's greed getting in the way, the possibility that Sakurai would not do third-parties again and the possibility that Sakurai and Capcom wouldn't contact each other should give is indirectly good news for King K. Rool.

Unlike Mega Man, there are little to no legal hurdles to get King K. Rool in the game due to his first-party status, he can fit in easily and isn't from a greedy company. Plus it seems certain (or as close as we can say at this point) that DK is getting a newcomer and there's a good chance we get two characters as well (which would definitely be King K. Rool and Dixie Kong). Sure missing out on the latest game is unfortunate, but recentness is a non-factor in recurring franchise. He's still Donkey Kong's iconic villain that most people associate with, he's still incredibly popular (most wanted Nintendo newcomer in fact) and he is still a very strong character withe one of the best résumé around.

Mega Man had a ton of obstacles to get through in order to get in and yet we got him. With King K. Rool having much less to worry about (only Sakurai being lip-tight about him and Smash and the possibility Dixie Kong gets prioritized over King K. Rool), I'd say that chances are definitely in his favor to get in.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Now that you mention it, SSBF, the arguments against K. Rool were/are remarkably similar to those against Mega Man, to the point where you could just say "Mega Man" in response to any of them, kind of like Ridley fans do with Bowser/Olimar/Pokemon.

"He's old news! Irrelevant!"

"It looks like Nintendo/Capcom wants to brush him under the rug/retire him!"

"Nintendo/Miyamoto/Capcom obviously hate the character/don't care, why should Sakurai?"

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Now that you mention it, SSBF, the arguments against K. Rool were/are remarkably similar to those against Mega Man, to the point where you could just say "Mega Man" in response to any of them, kind of like Ridley fans do with Bowser/Olimar/Pokemon.

"He's old news! Irrelevant!"

"It looks like Nintendo/Capcom wants to brush him under the rug/retire him!"

"Nintendo/Miyamoto/Capcom obviously hate the character/don't care, why should Sakurai?"
On top of that BKupa666, K. Rool is from a much larger, better selling, and more popular franchise, and is even the franchises overarching main villain (much like Ganon/Ganondorf in Zelda, and King Dedede in Kirby's Dreamland). And unlike Mega Man, Sakurai doesn't have to go through the Crapcom "money money money money... MON-EHH!!!" hula hoops to put him in the game, or even the 2nd party obstacle(s) that companies like the Pokémon Company/Game Freak have put up since K. Rool is a 1st party character, like all Donkey Kong franchise-related characters.

I think it's pretty obvious Sakurai knows that Ridley and K. Rool are the most wanted newcomers left. And seeing as how they are both first party, and they're both from popular franchises that in the past 10 or so years have found new footing and have been about as popular as ever, why not add them=??? I mean, K. Rool is going to return to the Donkey Kong (Country) franchise EVENTUALLY, and when (not if) he does, it will be met with much fanfare, just like his confirmation in Super Smash Bros. Wii U and Super Smash Bros. 3DS will (not if) reign in. :)

:dk:

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
BKupa666, add me to the Kutthroats please. King K. Rool, in my opinion, would make the cast way better. I think each series should at least have the hero and villain as playable characters, and King K. Rool is the epitome of characters needed for SSB4 (or Super Smash Bros for the Wii U/ 3DS) because of his diversity in movesets and will should make it into the game over any other DK character, with Dixie second after him. I swear to God if they pull a :troll: and Kiddy Kong is playable over King K. Rool, I'll freak.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
BKupa666, add me to the Kutthroats please. King K. Rool, in my opinion, would make the cast way better. I think each series should at least have the hero and villain as playable characters, and King K. Rool is the epitome of characters needed for SSB4 (or Super Smash Bros for the Wii U/ 3DS) because of his diversity in movesets and will should make it into the game over any other DK character, with Dixie second after him. I swear to God if they pull a :troll: and Kiddy Kong is playable over King K. Rool, I'll freak.
5 posts and he already knows what's cool and who to support.

They grow up so fast... :crying:

...so evil, but so fast.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I somehow skipped your signature, but I just read it, and it made me laugh quite a bit.
I'm a quick learner.
Well me pirate, are you krazy enough for our krafy krew of K. Rool's Kremlings=???

Because if you dare sail on our ship, you better be kool, you better be kalm, and you better expect to take on some Kongs as your King K. Kaptain K. Roolenstein... K. Rool.... Kremling.... K=???

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Me hearty, I've sailed the ocean blue from the Mushroom Kingdom to Kanto. Me crew be shanghaied men from the ship of Tetra! I be ready to accompany Kaptain K. Rool and ye Kremling Kutthroats fer the quest o' SSB4!

Well, that was more fun than expected.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Honestly, this guy is one of those characters that I think you just kind of expect to show up this time. He was a very popular choice pre-Brawl, and now he's even more popular. He's one of the last big name Nintendo characters that have yet to be included (Ridley gives him a run for his money, and Dixie Kong and Toad aren't far behind).

Plus he's a downright hilarious character.

Totally supporting this guy, so feel free to add me to the list of Kutthroats.

Groose

Smash Champion
Sign me up. K. Rool has just so much moveset potential. As a matter of fact, he was the first character I ever made a moveset for.

Just please, please, please bring back the voice actor from the cartoon. That cartoon is the prized possesion of my childhood; you have no idea how difficult it was for a kid to track down a VHS of it.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Lots of new fresh blood to join the Krew on this here Kremling K. Rool kerplunkety ship with our krazy Kong-obsessed plot... ARGHHHH!!!!!
Me hearty, I've sailed the ocean blue from the Mushroom Kingdom to Kanto. Me crew be shanghaied men from the ship of Tetra! I be ready to accompany Kaptain K. Rool and ye Kremling Kutthroats fer the quest o' SSB4!

Well, that was more fun than expected.
Needs more "Argghhh," but I approve of ye old youngling smashboardseror joining us our mer quest.
Honestly, this guy is one of those characters that I think you just kind of expect to show up this time. He was a very popular choice pre-Brawl, and now he's even more popular.
To clarify this, he was a very popular pre-Brawl, but it was only after the Diddy Kong reveal. You see, Diddy Kong CONSUMED the fanbase of DKC fans. And once Diddy Kong was confirmed, we were all pretty pleased. We wanted Dixie, we wanted K. Rool, but eh, we were happy without 'em by and large.

But after a while, most of us realized that kind of thinking is stupid, and that K. Rool should be playable in Brawl. Sadly, we got our former wish, but look at what's happening now! Now K. Rool gets most the attention, he's arguably the most wanted newcomer left (with Ridley), and Dixie Kong isn't too far behind!!!

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
I am hoping he could be in. The DK series needs more reps and SSB itself needs more villians. King K. Rool is still owned by Nintendo and not Rare like some claim and there are no legal hurdles from preventing this kremling king from entering so I say,let him in Sakurai!

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
The thing is see A new pokemon and FE char getting in anyways no matter what also Little Mac and Palutena can not match up to the popularity/respect/reputation of K.Rool and Ridley they both need to get in. RealTalk.

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
I'm honestly worried about Tropical Freeze and K. Rool. I hoped to see more Kremling action, but alas, I was disappointed again. :p

And stay the heck away from Kitty Corp. My support for K. Rool got me bashed. :p

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I've got a nice little present here for you Kutthroats, copied over from DKVine, where it was originally posted by Sean, with graphics designed by Clutch.

HEY, PEOPLE. I don't want to hear any nonsense about competitive balance, or small rosters, or about one or two modern games undoing years of history. I don't want to hear about it because I'm here to tell you about a man.

He's a man you can trust. He's a man you have to trust, because he's the king and he'll execute you if you talk behind his back. He's actually not really a man at all, though I hear he is formidable compared to some of the wusses they've let into this roster already. (I'm looking at you, Fire Emblem.)

I have seen and heard so much doubt about the man I am doing a very poor job of foreshadowing with any kind of subtlety. That he's not relevant. That he's been replaced. That he's ugly. (There's no accounting for taste, I guess.) Ladies and gentlemen, I say NAY! I am here to bring you a dose of enthusiasm so strong it would kill a single individual! I am here to bring back hope, and make you believe.

Believe in....

Here are the first of several great accompanying logos from the K. Rool For Smash campaign office.

Groose

Smash Champion
You know, I'd argue that K. Rool has the most moveset options of any possible newcomer (bar of course Mega Man, who is already confirmed). Even Ridley lacks the moveset that K. Rool could have.

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
You know, I'd argue that K. Rool has the most moveset options of any possible newcomer (bar of course Mega Man, who is already confirmed). Even Ridley lacks the moveset that K. Rool could have.
I agree with this. He's had 4 main game appearances (DKC, DKC2, DKC3 and DK64), ALL WITH DIFFERENT movesets and abilities.

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
And it's so easy to make up even more for him, since he's insane and inclined to take new personas. Plus, he has rather unique body shape and build, and his Krocodilian ancestry can give him other interesting talents, like the death roll.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I heard a rumor way earlier that retro was working on a new DKC and smash would have k rool's design from that game. maybe it's right... maybe the rumor could of been made up, but it still could be right.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
That was from GameFAQs, who said we'd be getting a special Smash Nintendo Direct for Brawl's Japanese anniversary. Didn't turn out to be true, but that doesn't mean a redesigned K. Rool is out of the question.

Which brings me to a separate question that occurred to me after listening to a Kongversation podcast: since his appearance in Smash, Diddy's popguns and jetpack are now seen as vital to the character in Retro's games...he's almost never seen without them anymore. If K. Rool were to become playable and use his blunderbuss and helicopter pack, like so many of us have expected for so long, would all future K. Rool fights use these weapons as well, just because they're part of his moveset?

Top Bottom