• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Never played any uncharted game, but the story around it doesn't really interest me
The story is okay (kinda reminiscent of Jak & Daxter and Indiana Jones), and the humor is great. But the gameplay, level design, music, graphics, and game as a whole is amazing.
Indeed. . .I went over earlier in the thread how unfortunate it'd be if Sakurai ended up using his Paon design. Does anybody actually like that design? He's even fatter than Dedede in that form, nevermind his lack of a tail.
:diddybrawl: got his classic DKC design (well, it was kinda updated). I expect the same for K. Rool. Also, that wouldn't be Sakurai's choice; that'd be the artist and graphic designers' choice.

Smady

Smash Master
Sakurai has to have some say in what the character looks like, as he makes the movesets himself. Thus it's very important to distinguish if K. Rool has his Baron equipment, or his crown, etcetera, otherwise Sakurai wouldn't know what his moveset could do.

D

Deleted member

I wonder if the fact that it's King K. Rool people want will lead Sakurai to not incorporate anything from Kaptain or Baron becuase they're his "brothers" in Japan.

EDIT: Kind of like that Universe fake that talked about K. Rool's moveset involving cannonballs and crocodiles, with his Final Smash being him summoning his ship to the background while it shoots giant cannonballs on the stage.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I wouldn't be surprised if we get nothing from Baron; even though helicopter pack is an obvious recovery move, Nintendo seems to ignore DKC3 whenever possible. It certainly got no mentions outside the Chronicle and Squitter's trophy in Brawl.

However, you can literally pick any K. Rool moveset out of a hat and see a blunderbuss and helicopter pack special included, just like how most Diddy sets pre-Brawl used the Peanut Popguns and jetpack. If Sakurai pays any attention to the potential people attribute to K. Rool in the slightest, I could see him using moves from his alter egos (even if Sakurai justifies this by saying he "borrowed" them from his brothers).

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Sad. Sad. King Rool should be a bi-polar crocodile. I think, for the sake of Smash considering he gets in, K. Rool will use moves from Kaptain and/or Baron as well. Not sure if the King alone would be an exciting character.

Wouldn't mind just the Kaptain, though.

D

Deleted member

I wouldn't be surprised if we get nothing from Baron; even though helicopter pack is an obvious recovery move, Nintendo seems to ignore DKC3 whenever possible. It certainly got no mentions outside the Chronicle and Squitter's trophy in Brawl.

However, you can literally pick any K. Rool moveset out of a hat and see a blunderbuss and helicopter pack special included, just like how most Diddy sets pre-Brawl used the Peanut Popguns and jetpack. If Sakurai pays any attention to the potential people attribute to K. Rool in the slightest, I could see him using moves from his alter egos (even if Sakurai justifies this by saying he "borrowed" them from his brothers).
Then again, I don't think Sakurai saw all the Popgun and Barrel Jets unless Japan had them listed on movesets as well, as I doubt Sakurai goes to English game forums.
But then again, with mention of his "brother" Kaptain K. Rool in his Brawl trophy (and the fact that both share the name "K. Rool", where Baron is "K. Roolenstein"), I could see a bit of King and Kaptain mix at the least.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
I can see Sakurai ignoring the jetpack because of DKC3 being shunned for whatever reason, but not ignoring Kaptain as well because of the whole "brothers in Japan" nonsense.

If there's anything Sakurai didn't do himself, I doubt he hand-wrote all the trophy descriptions.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The trophy descriptions often have mistakes anyway, sometimes due to incorrect translation or misinformed information. Whether its the former or latter is very hazy.

Regardless, the varies aliases do give K. Rool potential. Albeit only King K. Rool and Kaptain K. Rool would be the main influences.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
During the Japanese to English translation period, I recall reading that the translators are required to edit information determined to be 'obscenely Japanese.' K. Rool's brother bungle may have slipped through the cracks because it was not, in fact, unintelligible by our standards, but simply an error made by a non-fan.

I wonder if it would be possible to see any movesets made on Japanese forums (not necessarily just for K. Rool, but in general, to see if they are similar for the most part).

splat

Smash Lord
Indeed. . .I went over earlier in the thread how unfortunate it'd be if Sakurai ended up using his Paon design. Does anybody actually like that design?
I actually only like K. Rool since I saw his Paon design.

I, for one, am rooting for a style reminiscent of the Paon one.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The main problem that certain people have with K. Rool's new design is his claws. Just because he now has claws doesn't necessarily mean that he'll mimic Bowser.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The claws are probably going to be mostly cosmetic for the most part, barring maybe one or two moves. But what I really want to see is K. Rool use those wicked teeth to tear up the opponent in some fashion, maybe as a pummel or forward smash.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Why not K. Rool's Kremlin Krew?

That's sounds a lot better than Kountry Klub and it's something that obviously belongs to K. Rool

D

Deleted member

Though to be fair, it almost looks like he doesn't have them in the newer artwork when he has fists closed like regular hands. (His claws would be digging into his palm if he had them)
EDIT: Except for the thumbs. Obviously, those claws are there.

So could it be possible for him to have only claws on thumbs in Smash?

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I certainly dislike more about the design than just his claws...his lack of a tail, eye tic and golden belly, and overall poor appearance in general. Seriously, it's as if the developers stuck arms and legs into a Potato Head body and called it a day. His old appearance also conveys both the humorous and sinister aspects of his personality better than the above one.

Kremling Krew sounds too similar to the old pre-Brawl support thread. However, Kountry references his source material while a Klub is what this thread is meant to be.

Speaking of which, would you guys be in favor of me going through the thread and making a Supporters List to include in the OP?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Than how about K. Rool's Kremlin Kutthroats?

Kountry Klub is giving me a DKC3 vibe. In more ways than one. Especially since Country Club sounds like something bears would be in

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Now there's an idea. I'm currently listing every member who has shown explicit support for K. Rool as a Kutthroat (rather than every single poster in the thread, like the Funky Kong alliance).

UPDATE: The OP now features a list of Kutthroats, or supporters; if anyone isn't on the list due to not outright stating your support for K. Rool, just mention it in a post or send me a PM.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Though to be fair, it almost looks like he doesn't have them in the newer artwork when he has fists closed like regular hands. (His claws would be digging into his palm if he had them)

If you take a look at K. Rool's Brawl trophy, you can clearly see that he has claws.

[collapse=Image]
[/collapse]

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner

You have to remember that in video games, they can bend the rules with how objects interact with other solid objects (I want to say "hit detection" but I don't think that's the proper term), such as capes going through the wearer's body or hair phasing through the neck, etc.. I'm pretty sure Nintendo wouldn't mind phasing his claws through his palms, so as long as they hide it well.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
I just assumed K. Rool wasn't included because he was a RareWare character. I was amazed they included Diddy in the Brawl roster, I can only imagine what shame nintendo had to go through admitting defeat and allowing a RareWare character in who had become considered such an integral part of nintendo. But they still let their ego remain by advertising their company on a new hat they designed for Diddy. Proudly sporting the old RED Nintendo logo, to make it seem like it was their all along XD

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
@DakotaBonez: Actually, Nintendo has the rights to every Donkey Kong series character that Rare made.
^ This

The reason being is that although Rare wasn't a first-party developer for Nintendo (they were second-party), when they made Donkey Kong Country and all other games in that series, they were doing so using Nintendo's IP. Banjo-Kazooie, Conker's Bad Fur Day, and Perfect Dark were original titles by Rare, not Nintendo, which is why when Rare went to Microsoft, so too did those titles. Anything that was in a Donkey Kong (let alone with the word "Country" in its title) game made by Rare belongs to Nintendo. Same can be said for anything in Star Fox Adventures for that matter.

GTZ

Smash Ace
NNID
Arctic-Cat
he is a versatile character that has many personalities and much more potential than most characters to be great in smash bros. It's a shame he hasn't been in smash already. I vote for K.Rool!

MelMoe

Smash Journeyman
I made color swaps some time ago & a moveset (however it's not completely done)

I support King K. Rool & Dixie for SSB4.

:phone:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I support King K. Rool alongside Dixie.

I imagine he uses a lot of screwball attacks and his weight for fighting.

:phone:

Smady

Smash Master
K. Rool is a dead cert for the game. I was wondering, though, what does everyone think Sakurai will do with the tikis? Just a trophy? I can see them getting a stage, maybe even a Tiki Tong boss.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
K. Rool is a dead cert for the game. I was wondering, though, what does everyone think Sakurai will do with the tikis? Just a trophy? I can see them getting a stage, maybe even a Tiki Tong boss.
Please take that discussion to a different topic. This thread is specifically for discussing King K. Rool.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Even though I do think K. Rool will appear in the game, I have had the thought that, if we get a DK pirate ship stage, it won't be K. Rool's Gangplank Galleon, but a crab/tiki-run ship instead.

I won't discuss the Goomba clones too much if M&SG deems it off topic, but I do hope for K. Rool to be playable and Tiki Tong & his acolytes to be a boss, just for that fantastic matchup.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
Please take that discussion to a different topic. This thread is specifically for discussing King K. Rool.
Indeed. We wouldn't want the Tiki discussion to replace the K. Rool discussion, now would we?

In all seriousness, yes, they'll be trophies, maybe enemies in the adventure mode. Tiki Tong won't make it as a boss over Andross, probably.

As far as K. Rool is concerned, I'm just glad that the one "leaked" design of K. Rool in the tiki attire was confirmed fake at this point for the sake of Smash Bros. We wouldn't want K. Rool dressing up in tribal attire for his big appearance. . .

Then again, it might be better than the Paon design.

Smady

Smash Master
Direct me to the Tiki Tong thread and I will discuss it there. No one cares about that one-off character, enough that he is pretty much just a branch of the K. Rool discussion. We discuss Toad, Bowser Jr. and Paper Mario in the Waluigi thread, it's necessary to distinguish who is likely from any given franchise. :smirk:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Direct me to the Tiki Tong thread and I will discuss it there. No one cares about that one-off character, enough that he is pretty much just a branch of the K. Rool discussion. We discuss Toad, Bowser Jr. and Paper Mario in the Waluigi thread, it's necessary to distinguish who is likely from any given franchise. :smirk:
A Tiki Tong thread hasn't been created, but there is a place to discuss Adventure Mode concepts if a boss is what you had in mind.

Anyway, I'm just trying to make sure that people don't start discussing new topics on the wrong threads.

Smady

Smash Master
Oh come on, people are bound to discuss SSE bosses from a series when in a thread about a relevant character. Some characters are more likely to be bosses than characters.

Though I get why you made the warning, so I will stop busting your balls.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
It would be pretty funny if the Tikis were enemies in some sort of story mode, and K. Rool was playable, and had a negative reaction to them! :laugh:
Even though I do think K. Rool will appear in the game, I have had the thought that, if we get a DK pirate ship stage, it won't be K. Rool's Gangplank Galleon, but a crab/tiki-run ship instead.
I think we'll get 2 Donkey Kong stages for a 3rd time, actually (if not 3). Of course one will be from DKC Returns, but we probably will get something from DKC1-3. My bet would be on Gangplank Galleon, since it kinda sorta is from both DKC1 and 2 (although opposite parts of both games). :chuckle: It would also be nice to finally get a non-jungle DKC stage! ;)

Edit: I think "K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats" should be changed to "K. Rool's KRAZY Kremling Krew of Kutthroats." Because you have to be crazy to support a character who is as bloody mad as K. Rool is! :psycho: :grin: :shades: :rotfl: :bee: :cool: :smirk: But yeah, I'm glad to be a part of this dysfunctional and disorientated crazy K. Rool support group family! :lol: :) :lick:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I have no doubt we're getting a jungle stage from DKCR (although I'm hoping for a Mine Cart based one instead), likely the one from Sunset Shores. No, the characters won't all be shadowy, but the stage will be. Just like Metroid stages must have rising fluids or rotating platforms, and Fire Emblem characters must use swords, DK must and will have yet another jungle. We might as well get used to this inevitability.

I'm hoping Gangplank Galleon becomes the second DK stage in this scenario. There's the chance we get another retro stage like 25m instead, but I'm hoping otherwise; that stage can't possibly introduce any cool new music to the game like a pirate stage would, right? Besides, K. Rool needs his home turf revived alongside his classic design.

I'd like to keep the thread name reasonably short, but it's certainly not set in stone, if anyone has any better ideas.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
King K. Rool obviously needs his own personal stage, but it does make you wonder how big the Gangplank Galleon stage should be.

yani

Smash Lord
I'd like a DKC2 King K. Rool level. He's gotta be an unlockable character fought on said stage, with this playing.

Top Bottom