• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Anyways, I'm curious whether you guys think K. Rool would be a starting character or an unlockable one. I've seen cases made for both statuses that make them both seem reasonable.

D

Deleted member

I say unlockable, only because it seems fitting for any villain that's not Bowser to be unlockable (not counting Dedede, since Dedede is more of a rival than villain).

Also, it would honestly have a bigger impact, what with K. Rool not being in DKCR, so it's like he's "dead", but he's not, as you find him later and unlock him.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I actually think he'd fit well as a starter for the fact that I can see him a a character shown in the first trailer. I would think it would bring a lot of hype for the King's Big Komeback. I dunno, I guess he just seems like trailer material to me.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Looking around at all the thread, and this one seems to be going at a good pace with no heated discussion. Good to see.

.........oh right.

K Rool for Smash 4.

Jakor

Smash Ace
I also see K. Rool more as a starter character than unlockable. I think most people would be interested in playing him right away when they play Smash 4 for the first time, rather than wait until unlocking him. Or maybe that's just me.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
If King Dedede wasn't a starter in Brawl, I would say with near certainty that K. Rool would be unlockable as well. Because he was, however, I feel as though K. Rool will be a starter as well. He's in a similar position, being a popular third addition to an ignored (at least at the time for Kirby) series and one of the game's big name newcomers.

The other argument I've seen tossed around is that K. Rool would have to be a starter to be included in a 'Three Trouble Kings' event match.

Smady

Smash Master
This is one of the best OPs I've ever seen for one of these threads! Lovely to have decent movesets for all three of his personas, though I do wonder if they will snub Baron entirely due to how he's so different. It'd be a shame, as that form of K. Rool has by far the best potential for a good moveset.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I appreciate your good taste! I have wondered about how much inspiration will be taken from DKC3, not only for K. Rool's moveset, but for SSB4 in general. I don't think we'll see more than the Helicopter Pack on K. Rool, unfortunately, and possibly not even that...there was a discussion in the pre-Brawl K. Rool thread about how the Pack might be difficult to animate over his cape.

D

Deleted member

They could always pull a Meta Knight and have his cape "turn into" the helicopter pack. :troll:

Although that may not make sense...

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
How would you feel if he uses his Egyptian attire from Mario Super Sluggers? That's his most recent appearance and it was a playable one too. I'd most certainly prefer one of his other personas but I'd say there's a slight chance of using this one.

D

Deleted member

I'm not going to lie, there is a possibility that that one would be used.

Though I think his "King" attire being the most well known would be looked at first.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
K. Rool is the type of character that would be perfect to promote Smash WiiU and 3DS, like Diddy Kong in Brawl. Thus, I am fairly certain he will be a starter. I think the OP does an excellent job of showcasing that, promoting K. Rool, and showing to everyone why K. Rool would be a wonderful addition to smash bros. that would benefit everyone! :shades:

As for K. Rool, along with Mega Man, I think he's the most likely potential newcomer. Let's be honest: nearly everyone wants him, he would be mind-blowingly unique, and without the huge omission and overshadowing character presence of Diddy Kong (thanks to his playable status in Brawl), now is the perfect time for K. Rool, especially since he'll probably have a star role the next DKC game.

Also, I see you guys bring up outfits. I think all of his looks from DKC1-3 would be great, but the DKC1 King K. Rool should be his default.

Lastly, now that I think about it, what would he be called=??? King K. Rool, or just "K. Rool"=??? I mean, King Dedede was called just that, but Captain Olimar was just called "Olimar" (possibly because Captain Falcon was already a "Captain").

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
Lastly, now that I think about it, what would he be called=??? King K. Rool, or just "K. Rool"=??? I mean, King Dedede was called just that, but Captain Olimar was just called "Olimar" (possibly because Captain Falcon was already a "Captain").
I've never thought about this before, but the point you bring up a good point with Olimar not being called Captain Olimar, despite how much more sense that makes than "Olimar and Pikmin". Perhaps he'll just be K. Rool because of Dedede already having the "king" title? I think it'd make the most sense for him to just be called K. Rool anyway, considering how goes under many different aliases.

As for K. Rool, along with Mega Man, I think he's the most likely potential newcomer. Let's be honest: nearly everyone wants him, he would be mind-blowingly unique, and without the huge omission and overshadowing character presence of Diddy Kong (thanks to his playable status in Brawl), now is the perfect time for K. Rool, especially since he'll probably have a star role the next DKC game.
I've always thought he would be unlockable, but I also always thought Dedede would be unlockable. It just feels. . .Strange for a series with less than 4 characters to have all 3 on the starting roster, and villians specifically feel like they should typically be the unlockable ones.

But yeah, I dunno who else would really get that good of a reaction during the E3 reveal trailer, aside from Ridley. Ridley I think makes more sense as a starter, though again, D3 defied this in the past, and I could definitely see him throw K. Rool in alongside Dedede and Bowser for a "3 trouble kings" event match.

But yeah, I dunno, could see it going either way really. The important thing is to keep holding out for him beyond the first few reveals, as he could very well be a potential unlockable.

D

Deleted member

Actually, it was "Pikmin and Olimar", to imply that the Pikmin were the major contributor (they kind of are though, when you think about it.).

Davidreamcatcha

Smash Ace
They're referred to only as Pikmin and Olimar in crowd cheers and the Dojo, however. In the game, he's just called "Olimar"

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Wasn't he called "Pikmin and Olimar" in the Japanese version? I could be wrong...

But anyway, as an added little nod to the game, I think it would be funny if K. Rool made the noise he made in DKC1 when he gets footstool jumped. I just feel it would be a nice reference.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Another nod I would like is when K. Rool uses the blunderbuss, it would back fire if you throw an item into the nozzle, similar to Donkey Kong Country 2.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
But anyway, as an added little nod to the game, I think it would be funny if K. Rool made the noise he made in DKC1 when he gets footstool jumped. I just feel it would be a nice reference.
I actually had a similar concept in mind, except it involved characters being unable to footstool K. Rool at all while he's wearing his crown, as in DKC. This would seem kind of tacky, since characters can footstool Bowser despite his horns, but it would still be another nod to his first battle.

I'm predicting that K. Rool will be revealed sometime between when Diddy was revealed for Brawl (the August of that year) and when Dedede was revealed (that October). Ridley will most likely get the trailer reveal because of the cinematic awe he would inspire.

Whether or not K. Rool gets his king title as part of his name most likely depends on whether or not he receives his alter egos as costumes.

Speaking of which, a third nod to his battles: when K. Rool gets hit by electricity, his skeleton flashes through his skin, like in DKC3 (and Smash 64).

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I'm all for re-created/imported sound effects from the Donkey Kong games for K. Rool. It was done for the Mario Bros. and Sonic, so why not=??? :shades:
I've never thought about this before, but the point you bring up a good point with Olimar not being called Captain Olimar, despite how much more sense that makes than "Olimar and Pikmin". Perhaps he'll just be K. Rool because of Dedede already having the "king" title? I think it'd make the most sense for him to just be called K. Rool anyway, considering how goes under many different aliases.
Yeah, and add in the fact K. Rool has gone by 3 different aliases (which confuses non-DKC fans, specifically those in Japan), calling him just "K. Rool" would be simpler.
I've always thought he would be unlockable, but I also always thought Dedede would be unlockable. It just feels. . .Strange for a series with less than 4 characters to have all 3 on the starting roster, and villians specifically feel like they should typically be the unlockable ones.
That was done with the Kirby franchise already. Plus, there is this 4th character
named Dixie Kong
who could always be a hidden Donkey Kong (Country) franchise character. ;)
But yeah, I dunno who else would really get that good of a reaction during the E3 reveal trailer, aside from Ridley. Ridley I think makes more sense as a starter, though again, D3 defied this in the past, and I could definitely see him throw K. Rool in alongside Dedede and Bowser for a "3 trouble kings" event match.
The starters generally are usually the most wanted/appealing characters (3rd party characters). K. Rool fits that billing, much like say Peach and Wario in Melee and Brawl.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
To this date, I don't think any game has touched me like the Donkey Kong Country series.

What's with Game Makers today? Why can't they make anything this great anymore?

D

Deleted member

Eh, if he's just called K. Rool it won't make a difference to me.
I'll just have to get used to calling him that like how I got used to calling Captain Olimar just "Olimar".
Or calling Red "Pokemon Trainer"....

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
To this date, I don't think any game has touched me like the Donkey Kong Country series.

I agree, DKC series was absolutely beautiful and I listen to the music from the games all the time.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
That's a good point about K. Rool not having a title so as to not confuse the Japanese.

I sincerely hope we get a good quantity of new DKC music after DKCR remixed nearly the entire soundtrack. At the very least, if K. Rool gets in, we'll get a Gangplank Galleon remix to accompany him.

ForwardArrow

Smash Ace
K. Rool is one of my absolute favorite choices for SSB4 candidate. You lot have good taste.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
If anyone hasn't done so already, vote K. Rool in Shortie's poll...he's ahead of all newcomers except Ridley as of now. Let's keep him that way at the least, and push him into first place if possible.

Here's a link to the actual poll, rather than the thread: http://www.misterpoll.com/polls/561374

D

Deleted member

Given that shortie and I have had complications in the past, I doubt my votes would be SEEN, let alone counted. (We have each other on Ignore)

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
When I got a Super Nintendo, naturally I got DKC along with the console (I also got Super Mario World, Super Metroid, and some Street Fighter II super version). That's some pretty great game company, and DKC belonged there. I beat the game in about 2 months, and I got 101% (or was it 102%) everything, and completely beat the game. I also replayed every level at least a dozen times.

Not knowing how good I was at DKC, my dad bought me a guide for the game for my 5th birthday (16 years ago; woaw!). However, the guide had a bigger problem: It was for DKC2. Still, I loved the guide nonetheless. I read it cover to cover at least at thousand times. The artwork, level design, and secrets all looked 10 times better. I told my dad about his mistake, and a few months later he bought me DKC2.

That had been the most hyped I had been for a game. Normally nothing lives up to super duper hype, but somehow, DKC2 surpassed it. Ridiculously better levels than DKC1 (even if it had some incredible levels), more challenges, and levels/level design that changed platformers forever. Oh, and the music. Sweet Lord THE MUSIC!!! Every tune was memorable, the songs were powerful, and they really played with the environment. Don't even get me started on the final boss. DAT GUN!!! DKC, specifically DKC2 is SO GOOD!!!
Uncharted 2 and 3. :shades:
Eh, if he's just called K. Rool it won't make a difference to me.
I'll just have to get used to calling him that like how I got used to calling Captain Olimar just "Olimar".
Or calling Red "Pokemon Trainer"....
Well, it is also possible that in Japan he'll be called just "K. Rool," since much of the Japanese population is confused by his name, and whether or not the different K. Rools are different characters (brothers?).

Outside of Japan he could still be called "King K. Rool," because that is what he is best known as, and our knowledge of DKC tells us that there is only one K. to Rool them all! :awesome:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Never played any uncharted game, but the story around it doesn't really interest me

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Controls in Uncharted kind of suck. What's that? Want to turn around. Better do a huge circle.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Hopefully Sakurai does King K. Rool some justice on his moveset or else he'll be known as K. Rapp.

:phone:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Obviously the moveset is going to justified for the most part (A large anthropomorphic evil crocodile with a bit of an identity crisis gives out a lot of leeway), but that won't guarantee that K. Rool will be an amazing character in the metagame or in general. Heavy weight characters tend to get the short end of the stick, with a few exceptions like King Dedede.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
DKCR

Instead of K. Rool, let's not try and just put the most cliche final boss ever.

Ya know, the same one that's been in Kirby, Zelda, Star Fox. Countless other games. The big head with hands.

Yeah, that's a great idea.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I think K. Rool needs to be in SSB4. the DK series needs an antagonist character, and I can't think of none other than K. Rool (along with his alter egos as alt. costumes).

like Bowser is to Mario and Ganon is to Link and Zelda, K. Rool is to DK, so he fits nicely.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Obviously the moveset is going to justified for the most part (A large anthropomorphic evil crocodile with a bit of an identity crisis gives out a lot of leeway), but that won't guarantee that K. Rool will be an amazing character in the metagame or in general. Heavy weight characters tend to get the short end of the stick, with a few exceptions like King Dedede.
Of course heavyweights are typically doomed to be lower down the tier list. However, I think K. Rool could very much be a case like Dedede and rise through the ranks. He could have a horde of projectiles to rival those of Link, while actually having good recovery (Helicopter pack). He'd share the status with Snake and Dedede of being a heavyweight that has good recovery, and the projectiles in tandem would make him play like a heavyweight actually should. The melee moves are probably more where he'll suffer, but perhaps he could get a couple moves that involve his tail to give him some decent melee range.

He won't be better than Dedede in Brawl (Who's tier list position is so low/inaccurate it's embarrassing IMO), but he'll be up there. Certainly viable, at the least.

D

Deleted member

That is IF he has a tail, MasterWarlord....

The fact that he's not had one in recent times is kind of concerning.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
That is IF he has a tail, MasterWarlord....

The fact that he's not had one in recent times is kind of concerning.
Indeed. . .I went over earlier in the thread how unfortunate it'd be if Sakurai ended up using his Paon design. Does anybody actually like that design? He's even fatter than Dedede in that form, nevermind his lack of a tail.

Here's hoping.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I would think K. Rool gets his tail in SSB4 since a lack of one would be in direct contrast to the realistic designs of most other characters. If Bowser's tail can be animated without issue, I see no reason why K. Rool's would pose a problem (his cape doesn't even reach down that far).

Even without it, there's the chance he gets some longer-reaching cape attacks, or perhaps a crown headbutt to rival Dedede's ungodly U-Tilt, to boost him up the tier list.

Top Bottom