• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Hoots

Can Be Combative
I'm with Diddy. My money's on Kudgel or Klubba.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Anyone else loves how they draw from the SNES DKCs, PAON's Kremlings designs, DK64 and Returns but left out Jungle Beat content completely?

I'm pretty content with this myself actually.
Jungle Beat was lame, I really like this. I'm hoping we get some new DK items such as Cannonballs, Steel Kegs, and perhaps even an Animal Buddy krate... well, Animal Buddy krate is more iffy, but it'd still be kool. I mean, we've got tons of Pokemon and AT's. An Animal Buddy krate would represent a HUGE portion of DK history and it still wouldn't number nearly as much as the Pokemon and AT's in there.

I'm with Diddy. My money's on Kudgel or Klubba.
I'd love that, let's complete Kudgel's Kontest! That said, Kritters are the main DK enemies represented, I think its more likely the bigger Kremlings would be Klump because he's like K. Rool's right-hand man and has actually appeared as recently as Barrel Blast (I never realized the barrel-headed Kremling was Klump until recently).

EDIT: I brought up Steel Kegs because they'd work very well as an alternative to barrels. Instead of breaking open, they just roll nonstop until they hit a wall or roll of an edge, naturally rebounding if they hit a wall.

Cannonballs would be a neat reference to many games, but DK is the main franchise I can think of that uses them. Mostly in DKC2, but K. Rool does drop cannonballs in the original boss battle.

Another item I didn't mention is tires. They only appeared en masse in DKC1 and I'd love to see them return. DK does have spring items, but tires would work well as an item that can be bounced on, but can't be picked up; instead they just roll. DKC2 did have much larger tires that worked the same way in Jungle Jinx, but that's the only time tires appear if DKC if I recall correctly.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Well the large kermling thing

Here check these

http://donkeykong.wikia.com/wiki/Kremling

Find a kermling thats large that one qualifies for what he said.
Too many to kount. We've already brought up numerous Kremlings that would work. Even Klump would work well; in most games he's barely bigger than DK, but in DK64 Klump is HUGE. K. Lumsy is also gigantic, and so is Klubba, Kerozene, Kudgel, and Krusha and Kasplat are quite big, too.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
I just listened to that part of the video again. Only Kirbopher jokes about "this might be something [the rep] wasn't not supposed to share" in reference to the bosses, but it's never outright stated to be a secret new mode. The rep was, for all intents and purposes, explaining a basic feature of the mode that was only briefly touched on by Sakurai: "events."

What he did mention was how bosses appearing are events, like the Bullet Bill Barrages or Combo Bonuses or whatever. There was even a screenshot of one of these boss events underway during the video's gameplay.

Basically, how bosses work are that, on the map, a little arrow appears with a number, which increases or decreases depending on how far or near the player is to the boss. When the number reaches 0, they're right next to the boss, and the number turns into a 'Target!' label, which can be seen in the Bonkers pic from earlier. These guys are not only massive, even moreso than the Mega Goombas and whatnot, but have actual fleshed out attacks (Bonkers jumps around, throws seeds, and has like three different hammer swings, one of which can pitfall characters).

So yeah, Smash Run bosses are an event featuring predominantly mini-boss characters, not some magic door concept that people have erroneously cooked up about Kraid. If it were, yeah, it'd make sense to feature major characters, but as it stands, it doesn't.
Well if this mysterious large Kremling and Kraid were supposed to be like Bulborbs or Bonkers though, then the issue would be why no one has seen them. Putting aside how Kraid is traditionally a boss, rather than a mini-boss like Bonkers, thousands of people, myself included, played that Smash Run demo and no one reported on Kraid or a large (presumably unique) Kremling. If they were absent from the demo, like I believe the IC Polar Bears probably were, then it brings up the issue about how a Nintendo rep who probably only mans the demos would know information like that. They would likely only know if they were part of the localization team, in which case they wouldn't make a slip like that. The lower level demo guy could just say whatever because they are in a situation where people will likely believe them.

D

Deleted member

Let's say Gematsu is all we got, and K. Rool and Ridley are walking pinatas, I will start to question Sakurai's designs choices "hey, know the main villains of two of Nintendo's biggest franchises? Let's make them bosses, and don't let them do nothing, just waiting to be killed, know what? We should add that character from that one game in that one franchise no one ever heard about that is not even the main character" I mean, what is this? Backwards development?

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Let's say Gematsu is all we got, and K. Rool and Ridley are walking pinatas, I will start to question Sakurai's designs choices "hey, know the main villains of two of Nintendo's biggest franchises? Let's make them bosses, and don't let them do nothing, just waiting to be killed, know what? We should add that character from that one game in that one franchise no one ever heard about that is not even the main character" I mean, what is this? Backwards development?
Then again, this is the guy who thought random tripping was a good idea...

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Well if this mysterious large Kremling and Kraid were supposed to be like Bulborbs or Bonkers though, then the issue would be why no one has seen them. Putting aside how Kraid is traditionally a boss, rather than a mini-boss like Bonkers, thousands of people, myself included, played that Smash Run demo and no one reported on Kraid or a large (presumably unique) Kremling. If they were absent from the demo, like I believe the IC Polar Bears probably were, then it brings up the issue about how a Nintendo rep who probably only mans the demos would know information like that. They would likely only know if they were part of the localization team, in which case they wouldn't make a slip like that. The lower level demo guy could just say whatever because they are in a situation where people will likely believe them.
Have you been watching the Pic of the Days for the past two weeks?

Also, Mini-Kraid literally looks just like Kraid... except small.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'd actually like Kerozene to, from DKC2 GBA.

Very big, but workable I'd say.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
There are many different hypotheticals regarding why that could be the case. No one could have seen (Mini-)Kraid or Large Kremling plain and simple, due to randomized enemies and players not always seeking out bosses due to being noobs, or the people who could have seen them might not be on any Smash forums. The Nintendo rep could have played a different build somewhere else featuring those bosses, given that "Nintendo rep" is a pretty vague descriptor, and the guys at a Nintendo World Store could differ from those at an average Best Buy. The guy could just be blowing smoke completely.

Anyone else loves how they draw from the SNES DKCs, PAON's Kremlings designs, DK64 and Returns but left out Jungle Beat content completely?

I'm pretty content with this myself actually.
I think it's hilarious that, despite how desperately the Jungle Beat developers wanted "their DK" to become "the new DK," casting aside DKC as "not fresh enough" in the process, they failed completely at their goal, and in fact solidified fans' desire for more DKC at the time. With Brawl, Retro's games, and the flood of Rare stuff we're getting here, DKC content has kept its place of prominence in the minds of fans.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
There are many different hypotheticals regarding why that could be the case. No one could have seen (Mini-)Kraid or Large Kremling plain and simple, due to randomized enemies and players not always seeking out bosses due to being noobs, or the people who could have seen them might not be on any Smash forums. The Nintendo rep could have played a different build somewhere else featuring those bosses, given that "Nintendo rep" is a pretty vague descriptor, and the guys at a Nintendo World Store could differ from those at an average Best Buy. The guy could just be blowing smoke completely.
Or they could just be not in the demo at all and the guy knew about them and brought them up. Sakurai clearly stated that there were "many" things not featured in the demos.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Just posted this in the Mewtwo thread, which is talking about the possibility of Mewtwo being a stage boss.
Mewtwo could work as a Tabuu-like boss but it would be a terrible sight to see. All attacks Tabuu does could fit Mewtwo in a sense (except for those with weapons- but those can be replaced with other attacks). As well as teleporting all around the stage.

Let's just hope that IF Sakurai decides to add the Big Bad 3 ; King K.Rool, Ridley and Mewtwo as stage bosses, they're unlockable after defeat.

I think that'd be the highest honor possible for these 3 most popular fan-requested characters. Sure, appealing to the casual / masses with Villager, Wii Fit Trainer and Mii is good, but Sakurai cannot ignore the characters the actual Smash fanbase asks for completely!
Thoughts? The Big Bad 3 as unlockable stage bosses?

Pieman0920

Smash Master
But it still doesn't make any sense that no one would have mentioned it in the slightest despite so many people being able to play the game. And its unlikely that the people at the Nintendo World Store were any different from its usual staff who certainly wouldn't know any inside information. I'm guessing there was a rep for each Best Buy and possibly a special one for the NWS, but someone like that still would be very unlikely to be playing a different build or knowing that many details.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I'm surprised that nobody has acknowledged Kludge as the large kremling.

Heck. He already appeared in a 3D Donkey Kong game.
Kludge appears to be based on Krusha, but otherwise was created only for Barrel Blast. I do hope many of the Barrel Blast exclusive Kremlings come back in future games. But several people have mentioned Kludge already. I assumed he was one of the earlier Kremling bosses, but no, its Kudgel I was thinking of.

@ Pieman0920 Pieman0920 No One of Us song for you.
I don't think he cares.

Mistress Nicole

Smash Apprentice
I just looked through the list of Smash Run enemies and none of them are major characters. Does this rule out any named bosses? If so, That means that Krusha and Klump seem more likely. Or perhaps I'm just overthinking things.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
But it still doesn't make any sense that no one would have mentioned it in the slightest despite so many people being able to play the game. And its unlikely that the people at the Nintendo World Store were any different from its usual staff who certainly wouldn't know any inside information. I'm guessing there was a rep for each Best Buy and possibly a special one for the NWS, but someone like that still would be very unlikely to be playing a different build or knowing that many details.
As far as The Nintendo Rep goes, perhaps a tweet to Kirbopher could provide a bit more information. I tried doing so earlier, but he didn't respond. Maybe someone else would have better luck?

Bottom line to me is, whoever these bosses are, they're part of an event we already know about, both based on looking at footage and based off of The Nintendo Rep's description. The characters we've seen as part of this event thus far have been oversized enemies, not specific bosses. Regardless of a few oddities about The Nintendo Rep's insight, I think this criteria matches Mini-Kraid and Krusha/Klump moreso than Kraid and K. Rool (and even if it is specific bosses, I'd not be surprised to see Klubba in there instead, given his prominence in DKC2 and being more obscure than K. Rool to a guy trying to name Nintendo characters).

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I just looked through the list of Smash Run enemies and none of them are major characters. Does this rule out any named bosses? If so, That means that Krusha and Klump seem more likely. Or perhaps I'm just overthinking things.
The Kirby one is a named boss I think, but none of them are major at all anyway.

As far as The Nintendo Rep goes, perhaps a tweet to Kirbopher could provide a bit more information. I tried doing so earlier, but he didn't respond. Maybe someone else would have better luck?

Bottom line to me is, whoever these bosses are, they're part of an event we already know about, both based on looking at footage and based off of The Nintendo Rep's description. The characters we've seen as part of this event thus far have been oversized enemies, not specific bosses. Regardless of a few oddities about The Nintendo Rep's insight, I think this criteria matches Mini-Kraid and Krusha/Klump moreso than Kraid and K. Rool (and even if it is specific bosses, I'd not be surprised to see Klubba in there instead, given his prominence in DKC2 and being more obscure than K. Rool to a guy trying to name Nintendo characters).
Agreed, this exactly. Klubba himself wasn't actually fought, but Kudgel was, and Kudgel was just a recolor of Klubba anyway. (I suppose its possible Kludge is an updated Kudgel, the names are very similar, but I kinda doubt it.)

Either way, all of these guys are basically just extra powerful mooks from their respective games. Nothing more, so I'd anticipate it'd be Klump mostlikely, maybe Krusha or Klubba.

saltybeach

Smash Journeyman
Wow looks like I missed a lot.

In my view I don't think it is very likely that someone close enough to know some information wouldn't be able to identify K Rool. He is a very iconic Nintendo character. It is also very unlikely to begin with that they would use K Rool as a mini-boss in smash run when they have so many other "bigger" kremlings to choose from.

Even if lets say the guy doesn't know ANYTHING about DK, it is far more likely he would describe K Rool as something besides a "bigger kermling. The king has so many defining features it would astonish me if he didn't use those features in his description.

Also, not including K Rool as a character is one thing, but I HIGHLY doubt Sakurai who knows of K Rool's popularity would just put him in smash run as a mini-boss.

Based on all this, I feel like there is absolutely no way K Rool is what this guy is referring to.

Now on the flip side, having this "bigger" kremling mini-boss boosts the kings chances even more. If this new information is true I honestly feel like K Rool is either a stage hazard/boss, or a playable character. I would bet money on him being one of the two.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Just asking, wasn't the "Large Kremling" bit of info an accidental leak? In other words, he wasn't supposed to give out that bit of information?

I don't think we'll get a reply in that case.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Just asking, wasn't the "Large Kremling" bit of info an accidental leak? In other words, he wasn't supposed to give out that bit of information?

I don't think we'll get a reply in that case.
The Nintendo Rep basically described an event we already knew existed, and mentioned "Kraid and Large Kremling Character" as examples of event bosses he had seen. So if they weren't in the demo and were indeed just based on his insight, then yeah, that's a small accidental spill of the beans.

I asked about "whether the guy elaborated any more on Large Kremling" earlier, but now, I'm also interested in knowing exactly what sort of position this Nintendo Rep held. Was he just some Joe Schmoe working at the store or did he have a more involved role with the game?

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Like many others have mentioned, I'm also skeptical that the rep wouldn't be able to identify K. Rool as the large Kremling.

So Klubba and the like seem a lot more likely to be bosses.

And K. Rool seems a lot more likely to be playable.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I mentioned on this Board that I saw Krusha before. He was not 'boss' like material, if we are doing a bulborb comparison.

While not trying to get into Ridley detraction, could it be that Nintendo is treating "That part in the April Direct that shall not be named" as official while us; the smash community, totally is over thinking and analyzing (Like we typically do), and/or trying to be optimistic and holding onto hope about the clip to be something else when it isn't???

It could also be cleared internally within the company and awaiting a time to reveal. Just trying to view all sides of the coin.
I wasnt aware GameXplain was a part of Nintendo. My bad +_+
Certain things have been specifically deconfirmed, and others have been specifically mislead. There is absolutely evidence pointing that this could go either way.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
I have officially clarified that the "Big Kremling" is NOT King K. Rool. Plus some more info on Smash Run "Bosses".
What I found out using this video is;
1) They are not Event Specific, they just get noticed at a certain time.
2) They drop alot of power-ups, mainly of one type but with others added in there. (Bonkers drops mainly +Attack)
3) THERE ARE MULTIPLE OF THEM.
King K. Rool is still here, guys.

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
At this point, I'm almost dead certain that K. Rool is playable. With all of this Kremling representation in Smash Run, he's looking more likely than ever. I'm really looking forward to the August Direct now.

EDIT: Ok. Apparently the boss monsters can be just stronger versions of regular enemies, seeing how in that video posted by SmashRiver64, Bonkers shows up multiple times outside of an event. Oh, well. I still have faith in K. Rool.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
At this point, I'm almost dead certain that K. Rool is playable. With all of this Kremling representation in Smash Run, he's looking more likely than ever. I'm really looking forward to the August Direct now.
I still don't think K. Rool will be announced pre-release. If anything Ridley will with K. Rool a secret character. But all this Kremling representation makes me really, really happy. Long live the king! :D

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I mentioned on this Board that I saw Krusha before. He was not 'boss' like material, if we are doing a bulborb comparison.
Wait, what?

I thought you just said you saw differently-sized blue and green Kritters. Are you now claiming you actually saw a Krusha?

Also, I rewatched a few Smash Run videos to see if anything new would arise. Reaper is another one of those 'event bosses' like Bulborb and Bonkers.

Last edited:

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I wasnt aware GameXplain was a part of Nintendo. My bad +_+
Certain things have been specifically deconfirmed, and others have been specifically mislead. There is absolutely evidence pointing that this could go either way.
Isn't the section in question stated by a Nintendo rep, and not GameXplain??? GameXplain is just discussing what they heard from a person who is a Nintendo representative.

Again not trying to be a dectractor, and your free to believe there is [no?] evidence, I'm just saying we as a community at times are known to overthink/analyze given info. That's all.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Wait, what?

I thought you just said you saw differently-sized blue and green Kritters. Are you now claiming you actually saw a Krusha?

Also, I rewatched a few Smash Run videos to see if anything new would arise. Reaper is another one of those 'event bosses' like Bulborb and Bonkers.
No; someone showed me the picture of who it was, and I'm pretty damned sure that it had to have been. I'm still not positive so I don't want to fully make the claim, but I'm pretty darn sure it was not just a random blue Kremling moving differently amongst three green ones (after that pic was posted... was it by you? I cannot find that page here now, amongst 300)

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
No; someone showed me the picture of who it was, and I'm pretty damned sure that it had to have been. I'm still not positive so I don't want to fully make the claim, but I'm pretty darn sure it was not just a random blue Kremling moving differently amongst three green ones (after that pic was posted... was it by you? I cannot find that page here now, amongst 300)

This guy is Krusha.

How big was the Kremling enemy you saw and what attacks did it do?

Top Bottom