• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

D

Deleted member

Could someone tell me who the heck is Krow and why Gangplank Galleon is connected to him/her/it somehow?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Could someone tell me who the heck is Krow and why Gangplank Galleon is connected to him/her/it somehow?
You've never played DKC2? Krow is the first boss of DKC2. He's a giant Mini Necky (how that works I have no idea) who appears in the *ahem* Krow's Nest of Gangplank Galleon in DKC2. Gangplank Galleon is the first world of DKC2, and ironically, Krow is also the only boss to return again... as a ghost. Kreepy Krow later appears as the boss of Gloomy Gulch.

Bingo i found a possibility for are bigger kermling boss

http://www.mariowiki.com/Kerozene
I thought about Kerozene, but I don't think its highly likely.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Yeesh, I missed a lot.

I doubt 'large Kremling' refers to K. Rool. If he knew enough about DKC to name the species, he'd probably know the name of the big bad of the series or would have been more descriptive. "A fat kremling with a cape" or something.

Last edited:

skylanders fan

Smash Lord
NNID
KyleWussler
Yeesh, I missed a lot.

I doubt 'large Kremling' refers to K. Rool. If he knew enough about DKC to name the species, he'd probably know the name of the big bad of the series or would have been more descriptive. "A fat kremling with a cape" or something.
yeahi ts like saying pokemon from x and y how come leakers can't be specific

Pieman0920

Smash Master
There's grounds to argue the legitimacy of the story, but you're kidding yourself if you think that its not supposed to refer to K. Rool without just outright stating K. Rool. Yeah there are other big Kremlings, but none of them have any type of relevance to be picked as a boss or would be any different really than Kraid except K. Rool.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I could see it happening if Sakurai wanted to tease K. Rool fans about his presence, only to bait-and-switch with the other guy who's infamous on that stage.

But why should the Gangplank Galleon be the stage that's synonymous with K. Rool? What about the Flying Krock or Kastle Kaos?
Because it's where you first meet the guy, it's a final boss level in DKC and an entire world in DKC2 (and DKL and DKL2), and because pirate ships are the second-most iconic archetype in the series, behind only jungles.

There's grounds to argue the legitimacy of the story, but you're kidding yourself if you think that its not supposed to refer to K. Rool without just outright stating K. Rool. Yeah there are other big Kremlings, but none of them have any type of relevance to be picked as a boss or would be any different really than Kraid except K. Rool.
Aren't you that guy who argued K. Rool shouldn't be added because he's like Waluigi way back when?

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
What are you getting on about? Have you not read a single thing we've said? This is referring to bosses you encounter randomly in Smash Run, ALL OF WHICH are MINIBOSSES.

We haven't seen a single "main antagonist" anywhere at all as one of these minibosses who appear in Smash Run. You're kidding yourself if you think it refers to anyone so significant as K. Rool.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Because it's where you first meet the guy, it's a final boss level in DKC and an entire world in DKC2 (and DKL and DKL2), and because pirate ships are the second-most iconic archetype in the series, behind only jungles.
Plus, Gangplank Galleon could possibly a moving stage, covering both the area where you fight King K.Rool in DKC1, and all the levels of the first worlds in DKC2.

Man. DKC2 is really the best game ever.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Plus, Gangplank Galleon could possibly a moving stage, covering both the area where you fight King K.Rool in DKC1, and all the levels of the first worlds in DKC2.

Man. DKC2 is really the best game ever.
Oh got, please NO. If anything show us background images of DK Island and Crocodile island, but don't waste a perfectly amazing stage by making it a scrolling stage. If you meant it to be a moving stage as in it sales on the sea, fine, although I picture Gangplank Galleon being in ruins.

D

Deleted member

Kraid on Brinstar Depths is waaaaaaaaay bigger than he is in actual canon:

Depending on whether boss spawn points are scripted or not they could always make him spawn in a room suitable for him. Even then Bonkers is scaled up a ton, while Bulborb is scaled down a lot (in comparison to Olimar), so obviously they could just scale Kraid down a bit if necessary. However, given his rooms will likely have platforms helping you reach his head to inflict damage that might not even be needed.
....why is one of his fingers floating in the air to the left? (Sorry, that doesn't relate to your point, but that's just something that caught my attention.)

As for "scripted" spawn points, what do you mean? You mean like they have specific areas where they appear?
Looking at Smash Run's map, I can't think of a good place to put him that isn't out in the open.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I'm expecting this Smash Run boss to just refer to an enlarged Kritter.
I don't think so, all of the minibosses we've seen so far in Smash Run haven't been enlarged regular enemies, they are always specific enemies that are usually minibosses or much more powerful mooks in their respective games. So I don't think this will be just an "enlarged Kritter" but probably a Kremling miniboss or more powerful mook (hence Krusha, Klump, or Klubba).

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Aren't you that guy who argued K. Rool shouldn't be added because he's like Waluigi way back when?
I've argued against K. Rool, but I don't think I likened him to Waluigi. But even if I had, Waluigi's an AT.

Anyways, I'm really not trying to argue against K. Rool right now. Just saying that given the description, its fairly clear its supposed to be K. Rool. Its just that a Nintendo rep wouldn't necessarily know the finer details of Smash Run (the demo version was likely curtailed to a certain degree) nor would it be professional for them to give away secrets like that if they knew.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I've argued against K. Rool, but I don't think I likened him to Waluigi. But even if I had, Waluigi's an AT.

Anyways, I'm really not trying to argue against K. Rool right now. Just saying that given the description, its fairly clear its supposed to be K. Rool. Its just that a Nintendo rep wouldn't necessarily know the finer details of Smash Run (the demo version was likely curtailed to a certain degree) nor would it be professional for them to give away secrets like that if they knew.
Fairly obvious its K. Rool how? Where do you get this from? Haven't you SEEN the minibosses we're talking about?

EDIT: Waluigi's an AT, but Waluigi and K. Rool are a horrible comparison either way since Waluigi never once appeared in a main Mario game or Wario game, and K. Rool is the main antagonist of the DK series whose appeared in nearly every DK game.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
By that same token, if he had said "that big Metroid character," you could say OBVIOUSLY he's referring to Ridley, when in reality, that's a pretty bloody vague statement.

The Nintendo World Store guy wasn't giving away secrets either, he was just sharing what bosses he had seen in the demo with Kirbopher.

Last edited:

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Fairly obvious its K. Rool how? Where do you get this from? Haven't you SEEN the minibosses we're talking about?
The description for it is an actual boss battle, not a mini-boss battle (like those large Goombas or the Bulborbs) and likened to Dynablade from Air Ride. As such, it would be a even larger and unique character. If Kraid's supposed to be the poster boy here, then there's no way it wouldn't be something particularly special.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
....why is one of his fingers floating in the air to the left? (Sorry, that doesn't relate to your point, but that's just something that caught my attention.)

As for "scripted" spawn points, what do you mean? You mean like they have specific areas where they appear?
Looking at Smash Run's map, I can't think of a good place to put him that isn't out in the open.
I think he means entering a door, fighting the boss on some special room and then reappearing on the map.
I don't think it's likely for 2 reasons:
  1. Fully fledged out bosses would take a lot of time to beat, and considering you only got 5 minutes in the map, it wouldn't really be feasible for them to appear randomly. The point of Smash run is to keep moving and collect so having to stop for major bosses wouldn't exactly fit. Maybe on the other adventure mode but not here.
  2. It would betray the concept of having Boss hazards in stages, like if they have this really well fleshed out bosses in Smash Run, what would be the point of having boss hazards in regular stages then.

domokl

Smash Lord
The description for it is an actual boss battle, not a mini-boss battle (like those large Goombas or the Bulborbs) and likened to Dynablade from Air Ride. As such, it would be a even larger and unique character. If Kraid's supposed to be the poster boy here, then there's no way it wouldn't be something particularly special.
He specially says smash run miniboss so no

D

Deleted member

I think he means entering a door, fighting the boss on some special room and then reappearing on the map.
I don't think it's likely for 2 reasons:
  1. Fully fledged out bosses would take a lot of time to beat, and considering you only got 5 minutes in the map, it wouldn't really be feasible for them to appear randomly. The point of Smash run is to keep moving and collect so having to stop for major bosses wouldn't exactly fit. Maybe on the other adventure mode but not here.
  2. It would betray the concept of having Boss hazards in stages, like if they have this really well fleshed out bosses in Smash Run, what would be the point of having boss hazards in regular stages then.
We've already seen that Smash Run bosses show up on the map itself with Bonkers.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
By that same token, if he had said "that big Metroid character," you could say OBVIOUSLY he's referring to Ridley, when in reality, that's a pretty bloody vague statement.

The Nintendo World Store guy wasn't giving away secrets either, he was just sharing what bosses he had seen in the demo with Kirbopher.
Well of course you would think Ridley, since its pretty much a meme that he's too big :p

And it is giving away secrets, if true, since its not something that's been announced. We've had large enemies, but we haven't heart a thing about bosses. And if he was sharing what he saw other people do when they played the demo, then its an even bigger issue, since no one's reported on that. But its not really phrased like that in the GameXplain video. Still, no one else besides this one source has mentioned Kraid, so that's giving away a secret.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
We've already seen that Smash Run bosses show up on the map itself with Bonkers.
I know i'm just pointing out that this is what he meant.
But really i think it's more likely that it ends up being Mini Kraid and you fight him just like you do with Bonkers and the Bulborbs.

Boxes_for_Sale

Smash Rookie
NNID
Clumbone801
If I may jump in here, I think that there may be two reasons as to why the Kremling boss wasn't referred to specifically by name.
1. The Nintendo rep didn't know who the boss was exactly, possibly because it hadn't been finished/implemented yet.
2. The other reason could be that the guy simply wasn't familiar with the Donkey Kong series enough to remember the Kremlings by name. As much as I love DKC, I can never match a Kremling's name to his appearance.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Oh got, please NO. If anything show us background images of DK Island and Crocodile island, but don't waste a perfectly amazing stage by making it a scrolling stage. If you meant it to be a moving stage as in it sales on the sea, fine, although I picture Gangplank Galleon being in ruins.
I picture Gangplank Galleon to be the successor to Brawl's Pirate Ship.

It's bigger, badder and kooler. :awesome:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

If it has the original Donkey Kong Island in the background I'm sold.
If not then I couldn't give a frik.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
What's funny about this leak(?) is that, if the Kremling boss ISN'T K. Rool, then it basically confirms him.
Not really. All it means is a big Kremling boss/miniboss was chosen to appear in Smash Run. This isn't on any sort of DK stage or anything, these are just minibosses in Smash Run which we've already seen several of.

But it DOES help K. Rool significantly.

Ok, that's better, but I'd still rather Gangplank Galleon be in ruins.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I just listened to that part of the video again. Only Kirbopher jokes about "this might be something [the rep] wasn't not supposed to share" in reference to the bosses, but it's never outright stated to be a secret new mode. The rep was, for all intents and purposes, explaining a basic feature of the mode that was only briefly touched on by Sakurai: "events."

What he did mention was how bosses appearing are events, like the Bullet Bill Barrages or Combo Bonuses or whatever. There was even a screenshot of one of these boss events underway during the video's gameplay.

Basically, how bosses work are that, on the map, a little arrow appears with a number, which increases or decreases depending on how far or near the player is to the boss. When the number reaches 0, they're right next to the boss, and the number turns into a 'Target!' label, which can be seen in the Bonkers pic from earlier. These guys are not only massive, even moreso than the Mega Goombas and whatnot, but have actual fleshed out attacks (Bonkers jumps around, throws seeds, and has like three different hammer swings, one of which can pitfall characters).

So yeah, Smash Run bosses are an event featuring predominantly mini-boss characters, not some magic door concept that people have erroneously cooked up about Kraid. If it were, yeah, it'd make sense to feature major characters, but as it stands, it doesn't.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
What's funny about this leak(?) is that, if the Kremling boss ISN'T K. Rool, then it basically confirms him.
Well, yes I'd like to think so to. But he could always still be an AT or a stage hazard boss like Ridley.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
We still have to see how much is the DKC series represented this time. Back in Brawl there was barely anything; while the most important elements were taken from DK Jungle Beat and Donkey Konga, like Jungle Falls and Donkey Kong's final smash. You got to only see smaller things about DKC like the Squitter trophy.
This time, the Kritters give some hope in thinking we might get DKC to be the saga of choice (though you can always argue the Kritters came from Mario Super Sluggers). Something like the DKC stage or a miniboss could tell us even more. And perhaps, hint us toward K. Rool as a newcomer.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Anyone else loves how they draw from the SNES DKCs, PAON's Kremlings designs, DK64 and Returns but left out Jungle Beat content completely?

I'm pretty content with this myself actually.

Top Bottom