• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

D

Deleted member

I guess it's Gamexplain's fault of showing K. Rool when he talked about big Kremlings

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I mean, it could be K. Rool, but I think the speculation about it being him in the video is more of a knee-jerk assumption based on the description of "large Kremling character." Klump, Krusha, or Klubba/Kudgel fit better into the lineage of large mini-boss esque characters than K. Rool does.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
This info doesn't come from the roundtable.
Really? The way how it was worded in the video made me believe Sakurai said this.

Okay, so is this a another "Chunky Kong" situation, where we have to take a person's smash demo discovery with a grain of salt until more supporting info has been released??

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Okay, so is this a another "Chunky Kong" situation, where we have to take a person's smash demo discovery with a grain of salt until more supporting info has been released??
They aren't really comparable, since this info was supposedly given by a Nintendo rep on the E3 showfloor.

Making K. Rool a boss in Smash Run would be slightly better than a stage hazard.

And by that I mean very slightly. It'd still be terrible.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
Really? The way how it was worded in the video made me believe Sakurai said this.
Nah, apparently some Nintendo rep said it to Kirbopher.
Okay, so is this a another "Chunky Kong" situation, where we have to take a person's experience with a grain of salt until supporting info has been released??
Pretty much, only in this case we have secondhand information from one person whereas multiple people reported seeing Chunky Kong.

Last edited:

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
They aren't really comparable, since this info was supposedly given by a Nintendo rep on the E3 showfloor.

Making K. Rool a boss in Smash Run would be slightly better than a stage hazard.

And by that I mean very slightly. It'd still be terrible.
A Nintendo official's unvaried insight carries the same amount of validity as various individuals across the country reporting about the same specific occurrence in thegame. That's just me though.

Yeah... I wouldn't want King. K. Rool being a NPC hazard at all. :laugh: But i guess being SR boss would be better, which ever is easier to have a work around if he was added later as DLC

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

King K. Rool would be the dumbest mini-boss ever. I'm taking these "Smash Run bosses" to be like mini-bosses of sorts, and why would you take the main antagonist of the DK series, who was the final boss in at least 4 games, and just make him a mini-boss?

Last edited by a moderator:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Also, I remember one of the people who went to Best Buy said that "Kremling enemies come in different colors and sizes," so perhaps it's just a normal Kremling, sized up?

That was me.

I'd say it was K.Lump, given how many Kremlings I saw in one of the versions I played. In fact, I wouldnt be surprised if one of my runs through actually had the boss in and I just didnt see it (how upsetting). There is no way this could have been K.Rool, he wouldn't have forgotten the name.

They also just state Ridley was already cleared as a boss in stage, which is untrue, so, I'd take this video VERY lightly.

M&Mavocado

Smash Cadet

Seriously though, I'm pretty sure that the Kremling boss is Klump or a literally a giant Kremling or something. If it is K. Rool, however, it would quite possibly be one of the biggest wastes of a Nintendo all-star possible.

Edit: Also, if I could be added to the list of Kutthroats that would be great.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
King K. Rool would be the dumbest mini-boss ever. I'm taking these "Smash Run bosses" to be like mini-bosses of sorts, and why would you take the main antagonist of the DK series, who was the final boss in at least 4 games, and just make him a mini-boss?
6, he's the final boss of Jungle Climber and King of Swing, too. 9 if you count the Land games as new games, which they are; Land 2/3 feature the same areas as the Country games but many things are different, and Land 1 is COMPLETELY different from Country 1. I wouldn't count the GBA ports, though, since they are just remarks of the originals.

That was me.

I'd say it was K.Lump, given how many Kremlings I saw in one of the versions I played. In fact, I wouldnt be surprised if one of my runs through actually had the boss in and I just didnt see it (how upsetting). There is no way this could have been K.Rool, he wouldn't have forgotten the name.

They also just state Ridley was already cleared as a boss in stage, which is untrue, so, I'd take this video VERY lightly.
They were probably referring to the Smash Direct.

Either way, I think its just a larger Kremling, probably Klump or perhaps Krusha. Nothing at all to indicate its K. Rool, and K. Rool being a random miniboss in Smash Run is WORSE than him being a stage boss.

D

Deleted member

6, he's the final boss of Jungle Climber and King of Swing, too. 9 if you count the Land games as new games, which they are; Land 2/3 feature the same areas as the Country games but many things are different, and Land 1 is COMPLETELY different from Country 1. I wouldn't count the GBA ports, though, since they are just remarks of the originals.
I said at least 4, because I had no idea how many games he was in, I knew he was probably in more than just DKC 1, 2, 3, and DK64. Thanks for clarification!

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
While not trying to get into Ridley detraction, could it be that Nintendo is treating "That part in the April Direct that shall not be named" as official while us; the smash community, totally is over thinking and analyzing (Like we typically do), and/or trying to be optimistic and holding onto hope about the clip to be something else when it isn't???

It could also be cleared internally within the company and awaiting a time to reveal. Just trying to view all sides of the coin.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
This has no real bearing on Ridley, given that the guy was just speculating when he said "Ridley could be on the Wii U, Kraid could be on the 3DS."

Anyhow, if we actually get a Klump or Krusha mini-boss, that would be a great middle finger to all of the people talking about how "Kremlings don't matter at all, they're just there because they're one of DK's enemies." Kritters alone demonstrate a conscious desire to use the enemy race, but more Kremlings beyond them would demonstrate a conscious desire to really bring them back in full force.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'm hoping it's Klump, Krusha, or Kludge. The latter, especially, seem like likely "big Kremlings" to someone who wouldn't know their names. And Kludge seems like he'd be an awesome boss.

Long live the King.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

One of the so-called 'boss characters' in Smash Run, noted by the 'Target!' label above his head.
They're just oversized mooks. Definitely not something fitting for our Kremling king. Looks like something which would benefit Kludge more. I'd say Kerozene but he's way bigger and was only in DKC2 GBA so I don't see him making it.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I mean, it would be cool to see Kludge as a boss. He's got a cool boss design.

K. Rool deserves better though.

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781

One of the so-called 'boss characters' in Smash Run, noted by the 'Target!' label above his head.
Looking at this, suddenly my opinion is reversed. Not so enthusiastic about Kraid now, but this kind of role fits a Kremling other than K. Rool better so I'm confident that he's not gonna be one.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Looking at this, suddenly my opinion is reversed. Not so enthusiastic about Kraid now, but this kind of role fits a Kremling other than K. Rool better so I'm confident that he's not gonna be one.
Maybe its actually the mini Kraid clones? That'd be WAY better than actual Kraid being one of these, because this just wouldn't fit Kraid at all.

TheZombiePig

Smash Apprentice
I feel that if a Nintendo rep could recognize the boss as a Kremling, then they'd know if it was K. Rool. So I highly doubt he'd be just a boss in Smash Run. Kraid seems like an character for the role though, given his importance to the series, compared to Bonkers anyway.

Edit: JaidynReiman, could have the right idea.

Last edited:

Weeman

Smash Crusader
I really don't think it's K. Rool, however if the Smash Run bosses are just large mooks, how would Kraid work? maybe it would be something like the Dyna Blade in City Trial, where it would be more of a giant Boss any player can take out and it would take a large part of the stage.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223

So that's a boss in Smash Run? That's good.

I seriously doubt K. Rool would be a 'boss character' in Smash Run if they're going for characters like that. Dunno about Kraid though, he seems like someone who deserves his own adventure-mode stage.

I'm betting that someone like Kudgel will be the Smash Run mini-boss.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
So that's a boss in Smash Run? That's good.

I seriously doubt K. Rool would be a 'boss character' in Smash Run if they're going for characters like that. Dunno about Kraid though, he seems like someone who deserves his own adventure-mode stage.

I'm betting that someone like Kudgel will be the Smash Run mini-boss.
Actually now that i think about it there are Mini-Kraids in super Metroid
descarga (1).jpg

swordbreaker

Smash Journeyman
That "mook" Bonkers is an actually mini boss in kirby with a set boss pattern. Not an enemy with more health. I don't see them making a larger Kremling a boss. Most of them in the Snes era don't have patterns to endure. You just jump on their heads as they walk back and forth.

Given the way Sakurai is taking this roster I'd rather just go in assuming he did something like added these characters as bosses. I for the life of me don't understand why there wasn't an official poll this time.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Kraid, while certainly no average goon, is still one of the "lesser" bosses from Metroid, being behind Mother Brain, Dark Samus, and of course, Ridley himself. So for him to be in Smash Run is not too terribly surprising,

K. Rool on the other hand is the main antagonist of the original DKC series, far and above any of his lower subjects. Even if he isn't playable he'll get a higher role then anything SR could possibly have to offer. We already know Ridley will, at worst, have a bigger role then that, so we need not worry about K. Rool being a simple event enemy.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Bonkers as a Boss?

Hmm... it would be doing King K. Rool a disservice, Kraid on the other isn't the main antagonist of the metriod series as say King k. Rool is for DKC. Though we aren't really sure as to how intricate these bosses are. I mean they would have to be fairly short given the nature of Smash Runs race to collect abilities.So i'm leaning towards characters like Krusha and Kludge to be a potential mini boss.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Thinking it over, a Mini-Kraid has a solid chance at being the "boss" the Nintendo Rep saw. Unless the guy was an outright Metroid nerd, he probably wouldn't distinguish between Kraid and a Mini-Kraid, and looking at how restricted the space is in most parts of the Smash Run map, there's no way the regular Melee-sized Kraid is just rampaging around the stage, at least not without being massively downsized.

For the Metroid nerds here, are Mini-Kraids semi-prominent within Super Metroid? And are they treated as mini-bosses or as larger regular enemies?

Last edited:

KingZing

Smash Journeyman
I'm so looking forward for the next Nintendo Direct just to see if a "big Kremling" shows up in Smash Run. If that Kremling is not K Rool, our King's chances go up even more, but if he is... :079:

August, right?

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Well Kirb did say during the gamexplain video that they simply heard this from a rep, we do not know how much insight the rep had and it could be that the rep could identify Kraid from first glance and not the Kremling he referenced. It's very possible the Rep may not have been familiar enough with the Kremlings to say for certain, though that would suggest more towards one of the more generic kremlings with less known names unless the guy is just completely unaware of the K Rool which is odd but I suppose not impossible.

Thinking it over, a Mini-Kraid has a solid chance at being the "boss" the Nintendo Rep saw. Unless the guy was an outright Metroid nerd, he probably wouldn't distinguish between Kraid and a Mini-Kraid, and looking at how restricted the space is in most parts of the Smash Run map, there's no way the regular Melee-sized Kraid is just rampaging around the stage, at least not without being massively downsized.

For the Metroid nerds here, are Mini-Kraids semi-prominent within Super Metroid? And are they treated as mini-bosses or as larger regular enemies?
In Super Metroid at least, the mini-kraids took more hits then the standard enemy of that particular area but they weren't strong enough that I would call them mini-bosses.

Last edited:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404

I'm no Metroid nerd, but being a regular at the Ridley thread I might be able to give some semblance of an answer.

Mini-Kraid definitely isn't a regular enemy, and it does appear before the real Kraid, so I guess you could classy it as a mini-boss.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
It's very possible the Rep may not have been familiar enough with the Kremlings to say for certain, though that would suggest more towards one of the more generic kremlings with less known names unless the guy is just completely unaware of the K Rool which is odd but I suppose not impossible.

In Super Metroid at least, the mini-kraids took more hits then the standard enemy of that particular area but they weren't strong enough that I would call them mini-bosses.
Yeah, what makes me take pause is that the guy knew the name 'Kremling.' He has at least that much knowledge about the DK series, so like you said, him hypothetically being just completely unaware of K. Rool despite that is absolutely odd.

Klump and Krusha are absolutely the DKC equivalent to Mini-Kraid based on that description of yours.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
There's only one Fake Kraid in Super Metroid, it's simply there to fool the player, works well because he's only as big as he was in his previous appearance. There's also a Fake Kraid in Metroid 1 for the exact same reason, and again there's only one of him.

Thought I'd also say in here that the two bosses we know of in Smash Run are Bonkers and Bulborb, iconic but not really important characters. Kraid fits this fairly well with this, K. Rool isn't just a goon though, and I'm sure any Nintendo Rep that recognizes Kraid would also recognize K. Rool. It's probably Krusha, an iconic enemy but not exactly that important, and I wouldn't blame anyone for not knowing his name either.

Last edited:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Yeah, what makes me take pause is that the guy knew the name 'Kremling.' He has at least that much knowledge about the DK series, so like you said, him hypothetically being just completely unaware of K. Rool despite that is absolutely odd.

Klump and Krusha are absolutely the DKC equivalent to Mini-Kraid based on that description of yours.
The key thing here is that he didn't say King Kremling, just bigger Kremling. Klump and Krusha are still technically Kremlings, just larger, higher ranking ones. The likes of K. Rool has a more precise description since he is a main character, particularly the King part.

D

Deleted member

Haven't seen what was said, but did the one that claimed to see K. Rool refer to the color at all, or is "big Kremling" the only thing we have to go by?

Top Bottom