• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Yeah, what makes me take pause is that the guy knew the name 'Kremling.' He has at least that much knowledge about the DK series, so like you said, him hypothetically being just completely unaware of K. Rool despite that is absolutely odd.

Klump and Krusha are absolutely the DKC equivalent to Mini-Kraid based on that description of yours.
I would probably say it's most likely. I would be doubtful that we would see high ranking enemies in Smash Run as the only ones we have seen are the Bulborb and Bonkers which though stronger don't have huge roles outside of minion status or stronger target. So I could see the same thing with the Kremlings especially since we know standard Kremlings are already in Smash Run. Kraid would probably be the expectation because even though he's well know by appearance he's not featured nearly as much as said someone like Ridley or MB so it makes him a bit more minor.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Haven't seen what was said, but did the one that claimed to see K. Rool refer to the color at all, or is "big Kremling" the only thing we have to go by?
"A big Kremling" is all we have to go by. It could be King K. Rool, or one of his lackeys.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Saw the vid.
Sounds to me it could be any "larger Kremling", so I'm not worried.
However, he said Kraid was a boss in Smash Run....how does that work?

I guess there's Fake Kraid from SM, but still. Isn't Kraid ironically too big to be a Smash Run boss?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Saw the vid.

I guess there's Fake Kraid from SM, but still. Isn't Kraid ironically too big to be a Smash Run boss?
Kraid is, but the Mini-Kraid/Fake Kraid is plenty big enough, and look just like Kraid anyway, just... smaller. So yeah, I think they'd fit fine as a Smash Run mini-boss.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TehsUGLsQv8 Look at minute 1:25

Judging by how Bonkers acts in that video, Smash Run bosses are going to be more like random events.
If you played city trial in Kirby's air ride then you'll probably remember the different events that happened during it, such as the Dyna Blade appearing, meteors falling, etc.

This Smash run bosses seem to be of that same kind, they spawn somewhere in the map and if you beat them you probably get a lot of power ups, but they don't seem to act like mini-bosses, but rather more powerful regular enemies, i say this because in a Kirby game when you encountered a Bonkers, you were caged in a scenario until you defeated it, however in this video the player can choose to ignore Bonkers and he just continues to walk normally when he is not attacking.

By this logic, having Mini Kraids and Krusha as those kind of enemies would make sense.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Here's a video of the Bonkers boss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TehsUGLsQv8

You can also see a Kritter use the head slamming move. It definitely seems like a reference to DK64.
Those Kremlings are ****ing badass. Love these updated Kritters, they're far stronger than in any DK game, that's for sure. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TehsUGLsQv8 Look at minute 1:25

Judging by how Bonkers acts in that video, Smash Run bosses are going to be more like random events.
If you played city trial in Kirby's air ride then you'll probably remember the different events that happened during it, such as the Dyna Blade appearing, meteors falling, etc.

This Smash run bosses seem to be of that same kind, they spawn somewhere in the map and if you beat them you probably get a lot of power ups, but they don't seem to act like mini-bosses, but rather more powerful regular enemies, i say this because in a Kirby game when you encountered a Bonkers, you were caged in a scenario until you defeated it, however in this video the player can choose to ignore Bonkers and he just continues to walk normally when he is not attacking.

By this logic, having Mini Kraids and Krusha as those kind of enemies would make sense.
I'm almost thinking we might get Klump instead. Mini Kraid would fit well from Metroid since it references Kraid, a major Metroid recurring villains, and also Klump/Krusha fit well, too. I'm thinking it'll be Klump though because, as I've heard, Krusha had to be cut due to someone trademarking the name "Krusha."

Last edited:

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Here's a video of the Bonkers boss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TehsUGLsQv8

You can also see a Kritter use the head slamming move. It definitely seems like a reference to DK64.
Okay after watching that I'm confident it isn't King K. Rool. At first I thought bosses were accessible through those special red event doors, turns out they are roaming the overall Smash Run map? If it was an isolated area, i could understand the special treatment for a mini-boss/boss of such a caliber.

Why would King K. Rool be roaming amongst small fries like Goombas and Koffings? The "Kraid" the Nintendo rep referred to probably is a Mini-Kraid as you guys may have claimed. They can be pretty sizable too looking at how big Bulborbs and Clubberskulls are.

But yeah I doubt the main villain of a game's series will be reduced to aimless wandering a giant hub world.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Okay after watching that I'm confident it isn't King K. Rool. At first i thought bosses were accessible through those special red event doors, turns out they are roaming the overall Smash Run map?

Why would King K. Rool be roaming amongst small fries like Goombas and Koopas? The Kraid the Nintendo rep referred to probably is a Mini-Kraid as you guys may have claimed. They can be pretty sizable too looking at Bulborbs and Clubberskulls.

But yeah I doubt the main villain a game's series will be reduced to aimless wandering a giant hub world.
Yeah, its just a bigger Kremling mook. Which is perfectly a-OK with me, the more Kremling reps the better!

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Saw the vid.

Pic of the day. This dog is huge… Wait, no, the playable characters are small. The Smash Bros. series doesn't always stay true to scale.
death to too big
long live ridley kraid

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Okay, I'm starting to get tingles. Kritters and a probable Klump/Krusha/Klubba mini-boss? That's great. I mean, I already thought K. Rool was locked into being an AT/Boss/Character after seeing just Kritters, but the more Kremling enemies present, period, the better his odds are of filling a more prominent role.

Also, note that, despite Kremlings and Tikis coexisting here, we're getting a Klump/Krusha/Klubba mini-boss, not a Tiki Tank or a Tiki Tower or anything of that sort. Muhrelevance in action.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
So, is the "scare" over? Looks like it's not K. Rool, which is good news in ways more than one. :)

I'm not sure if this tiny information leak was deliberately made to tease us or not.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Don't get too ahead of yourself, BKupa.
We don't know every enemy that shows up in Smash Run.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Yeah, its just a bigger Kremling mook. Which is perfectly a-OK with me, the more Kremling reps the better!
I don't really want to jump the gun, but this seems like it helps King K. Rool's chances out a lot!!

It would be weird to have a variety of King K. Rool's minions across 3DS stages (Jungle Japes) and Smash Run and not have the top dog himself. It would be like having Goombas and Koopas an no sign of Bowser in the game.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
GameFAQs is convinced that it's K. Rool just based on "large Kremling," and I'm sure NeoGAF is as well, given its blind hatred of all things DKC. Glad to see we're thinking things through more clearly here.

At this point, I'd give Klump/Krusha/Klubba an 80% chance and K. Rool a 20% chance for being the "large Kremling."

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Those Kremlings are ****ing badass. Love these updated Kritters, they're far stronger than in any DK game, that's for sure. :D

I'm almost thinking we might get Klump instead. Mini Kraid would fit well from Metroid since it references Kraid, a major Metroid recurring villains, and also Klump/Krusha fit well, too. I'm thinking it'll be Klump though because, as I've heard, Krusha had to be cut due to someone trademarking the name "Krusha."
In my play of the Smash Run demo, they were freaking everywhere. I picked Greninja, who I was obviously unfamiliar with; couple that with a weird control scheme (X for jump? Why?) and I became a punching bag as they mopped the floor with me.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
GameFAQs is convinced that it's K. Rool just based on "large Kremling," and I'm sure NeoGAF is as well, given its blind hatred of all things DKC. Glad to see we're thinking things through more clearly here.

At this point, I'd give Klump/Krusha/Klubba an 80% chance and K. Rool a 20% chance for being the "large Kremling."
Have they at least watched the video before saying such things???

I'm watching a bunch of Smash Run vids to see what else i can find I'm so frustrated when i see the boss arrow and the person runs the opposite direction lol

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I guess Kraid Rool is a lock now that we have Hoodie Mac, right?

Last edited by a moderator:

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Why would someone call K. Rool a "Large Kremling" instead of something like "A Kremling with a crown"? Seems odd.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
If this isn't just some set up to a big boss battle with him. I'm really really happy for K. Rool supporters. I myself support him but thought Dixie would get in over him because of Sakurai's leaning towards her in Brawl as well as Nintendo just genuinely forgetting him.

But things are looking up for him it would seem and that's very nice.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I honestly feel that if K. Rool was relegated to a Smash Run enemy, and the Gematsu leak turned out to be true, I would just continue playing Brawl

KingZing

Smash Journeyman
Well that's a relief, no way K Rool, the big boss of the Kremling Krew and final boss of the DKC series would show up as a simple roaming mini-boss, like Moon Monkey said. It's like having Bowser or Ganondorf, or O2 for the matter, compared with Bonkers.

Last edited:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
It honestly would be a nasty slap in the face to go through all the trouble of bringing the Kremlings back, only to plunk their leader in a position shared by lowly mini-bosses. I'd even sooner prefer him to be a stage hazard then that, or better yet, just as a trophy again. Making K. Rool a Smash Run boss would be humiliating for Kremling fans everywhere.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
Well that's a relief, no way K Rool, the big boss of the Kremling Krew and final boss of the DKC series would show up as a simple roaming mini-boss, like Moon Monkey said. It's like having Bowser or Ganondorf, or O2 for the matter, compared with Bonkers.
If K Rool end up confirmed it would aslo be a huge relief for anyone scared that the gematsu newcommers are the only one left as well than finally giving us at least one super heavy weight and villain newcommer.

Still the guy could just not know K Rool name but be aware that he is a kremling because there are already kremlings in smash run, it's a huge waste of one of the only remaining unplayable nintendo all star but with Ridley possibly being a boss ripping off dead or alive my faith in Sakurai isn't very high at the moment =/

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
If this isn't just some set up to a big boss battle with him. I'm really really happy for K. Rool supporters. I myself support him but thought Dixie would get in over him because of Sakurai's leaning towards her in Brawl as well as Nintendo just genuinely forgetting him.

But things are looking up for him it would seem and that's very nice.
I felt the same way about Dixie before. I've stated many times, Dixie is my absolute favorite DK character and I love her, and I'd adore both her or K. Rool, or both. But I always felt K. Rool deserved to be playable in Smash Bros. over Dixie Kong, and recently I've found that Dixie Kong wasn't planned to be a standalone character in Brawl; she was planned to be teamed up with Diddy but they couldn't get the combo to work right, so they made Diddy solo.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If the Gematsu leak is 100% real, and listed all newcomers outside of Rosalina, I'll flip my ****. Luckily the prospects of Shulk and Chorus Men are a lot less likely than Mii and PacMan where so I guess we still make a good chance.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero

Honestly, I wouldn't even use Gamefaqs if it wasn't so fast and easy to see any new information gathered. Most of the people there are infuriatingly dim.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

I wouldn't give K. Rool that much, I'd say its about 90% Klump/Krusha/Klubba/Kludgel, 10% chance its just an extra large Kremling. None of these Smash Run "bosses" we've seen are anything more than just mini-bosses from prior games. Making K. Rool a random Smash Run boss? What? We've got Darknuts, Stalfos, and a Kirby miniboss, none of them scream even "major boss" let alone "main antagonist of the goddamn ****ing series."

Still, I absolutely LOVE the fact that it seems we've got another Kremling enemy returning as a DK boss rather than a Tiki. That's excellent. More Kremling support all the way!

If the Gematsu leak is 100% real, and listed all newcomers outside of Rosalina, I'll flip my ****. Luckily the prospects of Shulk and Chorus Men are a lot less likely than Mii and PacMan where so I guess we still make a good chance.
I think the leak is real, but its outdated and likely won't be 100% legit, and it isn't all the newcomers anyway (and Rosalina wasn't known by the leaker at all, he just didn't hear about her).

Most of the returning veterans have been barely changed at all, the only cutscenes are intro trailers for newcomers, and we won't have a full-fledged Story Mode like the SSE. Plenty of room to add newcomers.

At this point I'd be surprised if K. Rool doesn't get a role bigger than a trophy, he'll at LEAST be an AT or a stage boss. And I'm really thinking all of this is hinting at K. Rool as a playable character, though, which makes me so hyped. I'm just also being cautiously optimistic at the same time since it could turn out either way, but things look very good for our Kremling king. :D

bellboy64

Smash Journeyman
Saw the vid.

I want Brinstar Depths back so badly...

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I want Brinstar back, and fight Kraid on it. Wanted to beat his ass down ever since Melee. And that was before getting into the Metroid franchise :laugh:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
You know, Klubba seems absolutely perfect for a mini-boss role.

Ooh, I haven't had this confidence in K. Rool for months.

Last edited:

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
At least I think Bonkers as a Smash Run mini boss looks awesome. But to be honest putting K. Rool in the same league would be like putting Ganon there too.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Even though I'm leaning toward Klump or Krusha, Klubba would be the perfect DK mini-boss if K. Rool were playable. He has no loyalty to the Kongs, but his whole reason for letting them pass his toll bridge is because he loathes K. Rool and his leadership. He'd feel no qualms beating the ever-loving hell out of both the Kongs and the King.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Saw the vid.

Kraid on Brinstar Depths is waaaaaaaaay bigger than he is in actual canon:

Depending on whether boss spawn points are scripted or not they could always make him spawn in a room suitable for him. Even then Bonkers is scaled up a ton, while Bulborb is scaled down a lot (in comparison to Olimar), so obviously they could just scale Kraid down a bit if necessary. However, given his rooms will likely have platforms helping you reach his head to inflict damage that might not even be needed.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Even though I'm leaning toward Klump or Krusha, Klubba would be the perfect DK mini-boss if K. Rool were playable. He has no loyalty to the Kongs, but his whole reason for letting them pass his toll bridge is because he loathes K. Rool and his leadership. He'd feel no qualms beating the ever-loving hell out of both the Kongs and the King.
I thought Kudgel would have been a great choice, but Klubba sounds even better (and makes more sense from a story viewpoint).

So I immediately realized something. What if we got Gangplank Galleon as a stage, with Sakurai hinting towards the presence of a boss hazard? Which later turns out to be ...

Krow?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I thought Kudgel would have been a great choice, but Klubba sounds even better (and makes more sense from a story viewpoint).

So I immediately realized something. What if we got Gangplank Galleon as a stage, with Sakurai hinting towards the presence of a boss hazard? Which later turns out to be ...

Krow?
Would be way better than K. Rool, but I kinda doubt it.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I could see it happening if Sakurai wanted to tease K. Rool fans about his presence, only to bait-and-switch with the other guy who's infamous on that stage.

But why should the Gangplank Galleon be the stage that's synonymous with K. Rool? What about the Flying Krock or Kastle Kaos?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I could see it happening if Sakurai wanted to tease K. Rool fans about his presence, only to bait-and-switch with the other guy who's infamous on that stage.

But why should the Gangplank Galleon be the stage that's synonymous with K. Rool? What about the Flying Krock or Kastle Kaos?
Because Gangplank Galleon is the original one and the most iconic. Its the setting of the Final Boss Battle of the original Donkey Kong Country, the starting world in DKC2, and also appeared at the bottom of the sea as the Gloomy Galleon level in DK64. Its the most iconic and well-known, and they could more easily fit it into the DKCR world as well since there's ruined ships in both DKCR and DK: Tropical Freeze, too.

Top Bottom