• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
If I could just get back to stages for just a minute, I think it's obvious by now that K. Rool is going to be in the game. Now if there is a Gangplank Galleon stage, it'll likely be for the Wii U version but what about the 3-DS version? I was thinking this one from DK Land along with this theme

The stage itself would be colored of course.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
If I could just get back to stages for just a minute, I think it's obvious by now that K. Rool is going to be in the game. Now if there is a Gangplank Galleon stage, it'll likely be for the Wii U version but what about the 3-DS version? I was thinking this one from DK Land along with this theme

I actually would like it better if it WASN'T colored. It makes it stand out more.

_fiercedeity

Smash Apprentice
Havent been on this thread in forever, but I have to ask: Am I the only one who thinks K. Rool should have super armor mostly when being attacked in front due to his golden belly? Similar to how Bowser now has super armor on his shell.

KingZing

Smash Journeyman
No, you're not. Well, given that he keeps his golden belly. If they go with the Paon design, then most likely he won't, sadly.

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
It really depends on whether or not the developers use the traditional golden-belly K. Rool or the more recent plain-belly K. Rool. Personally, given all the old-school throwbacks to Donkey Kong Country (and potentially more down the road, if the "big Kremling" is Krusha/Klubba/etc), I would expect golden-bellied K. Rool, so super-armor is not out of the question.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It's a really subtle reference, but since Blue Kritters attacked in jumping patterns in the original game, rather than just patrolling around, it makes sense that they have a sort of jumping attack here as well.

@ TheAnvil TheAnvil You're thinking of Klubba.
But a tornado spin attack? That's a little....bizarre....

Now I'm imagining K. Rool doing it; not sure whether to laugh or cry....

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
This is only semi/kinda related to K. Rool, but it somewhat proves that the screen doesn't only hold 48 max as some people have been suggesting. (I posted this elsewhere so I C&P it)

I've been doing some sleuthing, and here's what I've found. The Brawl Demo to final select screen boxes changed proportions by 75%,69%. As you can see from these images below:

http://i.imgur.com/LN1wNEc.png

http://i.imgur.com/3XDSjye.png

I applied this same number between the demo Wii U select screen. I resized Pit's character box by the exact same number that I did with Yoshi above, (75%,69%) and this is what I came up with:

http://i.imgur.com/e7z41or.png

The first 13 columns will fit, but a 14th won't. Which means that 52 slots (IE 51+random), fits perfectly on the CSS rescaled to the same ratio that Brawl's were.

Someone proved a while ago that the 3DS screen could potentially hold 54 slots.
Well, why are trying to fill the whole screen anyway? I think it's quite possible that there will some blank space on both sides.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
It really depends on whether or not the developers use the traditional golden-belly K. Rool or the more recent plain-belly K. Rool. Personally, given all the old-school throwbacks to Donkey Kong Country (and potentially more down the road, if the "big Kremling" is Krusha/Klubba/etc), I would expect golden-bellied K. Rool, so super-armor is not out of the question.
Iconic vs. recent design for newcomers. . .what say you, Pac-Man?

"Wakka wakka."

Thought so.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Well, why are trying to fill the whole screen anyway? I think it's quite possible that there will some blank space on both sides.
I wasn't trying to fill the screen, just pointing out that more than 52 doesn't really work using the same rescaled method that Brawl used.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I wasn't trying to fill the screen, just pointing out that more than 52 doesn't really work using the same rescaled method that Brawl used.
I see.

I still won't put that much stock into the resizing business. The number of slots is pretty believable, yeah, but it's entirely possible for the boxes to be resized by a different amount.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I see.

I still won't put that much stock into the resizing business. The number of slots is pretty believable, yeah, but it's entirely possible for the boxes to be resized by a different amount.
I completely agree. But a lot of people are under the assumption that the screen can only fit 48 slots because of sizing. I was merely pointing out that even by altering the ratio of the CSS box to the exact amount that it was on Brawl, it can fit more than 48.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

No, if they add in a "classic" DK stage, that should be on the Wii U, but the 3DS version should have a Returns stage. I'd be surprised if we DIDN'T get a Returns stage for one of the two versions. Also keep in mind, DK usually gets two stages per game... I guess that could mean we could get a Gameboy stage, but I kinda doubt it, and we wouldn't have JUST retro/classic DK based stages.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
I think the Super Slugger's design gets hated on way too much. I mean I get that it's different from the classic King K. Rool that we know and love, but I don't think it's that bad. Of course, the old design is better, but the new design isn't bad.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
My ideal DK stage representation:
Mine Cart Madness Tour - Returns and Tropical Freeze hybrid (Wii U) [Home stage for Diddy]
Gangplank Galleon - DKC and DKC2 hybrid (Wii U) [Home stage for K. Rool]
Kongo Jungle - Melee (Wii U) [Home stage for DK]
Sunset Shore - Returns (3DS)
Jungle Japes - Melee (3DS)

What I'm expecting:
Jungle Hijinx - Returns (Wii U)
75m - Brawl (Wii U)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

This is only semi/kinda related to K. Rool, but it somewhat proves that the screen doesn't only hold 48 max as some people have been suggesting. (I posted this elsewhere so I C&P it)

I've been doing some sleuthing, and here's what I've found. The Brawl Demo to final select screen boxes changed proportions by 75%,69%. As you can see from these images below:

I applied this same number between the demo Wii U select screen. I resized Pit's character box by the exact same number that I did with Yoshi above, (75%,69%) and this is what I came up with:

The first 13 columns will fit, but a 14th won't. Which means that 52 slots (IE 51+random), fits perfectly on the CSS rescaled to the same ratio that Brawl's were.

While the 14x4 thing had been discussed before, the method for getting there is kind of flawed.
Yes, Brawl's CSS slots were resized when more characters were unlocked and it is possible that Smash Wii U's can do the same.
However, your comparison goes by a near-complete roster for Brawl (with only Wolf missing) where the icons are smaller to a roster of only 14 plus Random.
The icons change both height and width the more characters are present and how many are in the same row, especially evident when hacks are involved to have only few characters/slots:

or more than the final amount in-game:

(Note: This is 50, the maximum Brawl can hold on the CSS.)

With this being the maximum height/width of a slot:

So I guess the point I'm making here is, the concept you're making is good, but not the means to get to it.

And now that I've done this research, I now raise a new point (not specific to you): Don't go by how many slots can "fit" no matter what. Brawl can hold 50 of them yet it doesn't even come close to that number.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
My ideal DK stage representation:
Mine Cart Madness Tour - Returns and Tropical Freeze hybrid (Wii U) [Home stage for Diddy]
Gangplank Galleon - DKC and DKC2 hybrid (Wii U) [Home stage for K. Rool]
Kongo Jungle - Melee (Wii U) [Home stage for DK]

What I'm expecting:
Jungle Hijinx - Returns (Wii U)
75m - Brawl (Wii U)
God I hope not, let's just NOT bring back any Brawl returning stages for the DK franchise. :p I like this idea, bring back a second stage from Melee instead of any of the new Brawl DK stages. They were both horrible.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
While the 14x4 thing had been discussed before, the method for getting there is kind of flawed.
Yes, Brawl's CSS slots were resized when more characters were unlocked and it is possible that Smash Wii U's can do the same.
However, your comparison goes by a near-complete roster for Brawl (with only Wolf missing) where the icons are smaller to a roster of only 14 plus Random.
The icons change both height and width the more characters are present and how many are in the same row, especially evident when hacks are involved to have only few characters/slots:

or more than the final amount in-game:

(Note: This is 50, the maximum Brawl can hold on the CSS.)

With this being the maximum height/width of a slot:

So I guess the point I'm making here is, the concept you're making is good, but not the means to get to it.

And now that I've done this research, I now raise a new point (not specific to you): Don't go by how many slots can "fit" no matter what. Brawl can hold 50 of them yet it doesn't even come close to that number.
My main point is that the roster screen only fitting 48 is bogus. And the demo Brawl roster screen that I used had 3 rows, just like the Wii U demo screen. It works out about right.

I'm well aware that the ratio of the two resizes has no bearing on what the final screen will look like, because it doesn't matter how many characters they have, they'll fit them into the select screen how they see fit.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Interesting analysis.

Not that it has any bearing on your new point, but I think it's worth pointing out that the discrepancy between how many spots that fit with simple downsizing vs. how many spots fit with box adjustment (48 vs. 52) is far smaller than what your images show for Brawl (36 vs. 50).

I'm just hoping the coincidence of 48 spots fitting both the Wii U and 3DS screens upon simple downsizing is just that, a coincidence, rather than a conscious design choice.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Love how BKupa keeps changing the thread title to be based on the latest info we keep hearing. Epic. :D

Camc10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cam10_84
3DS FC
3625-9535-8650
If the Kremling in smash run isn't K.Rool, would it up his chance more for the fact that he's the best boss in the DLC series and he isn't a boss, meaning he's getting bigger and better things.

hotcrumpets

Smash Journeyman

Ok well that is good, it means that we could potentially see some more newcomers depending on who is cut. I would not be surprised if the leaker comes out before the August direct and sings one more time.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Ok well that is good, it means that we could potentially see some more newcomers depending on who is cut. I would not be surprised if the leaker comes out before the August direct and sings one more time.
No, the leaker doesn't have any new info, that much is obvious. (Because the idiot got himself fired.) We'll probably get a different leaker in August/September since by then it'll be in the final stages of development and more people will be getting their hands on the game.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Speaking of large Kremlings, I noticed the Kremlings seem to be inspired a lot by their Jungle Climber look. Which makes sense, as it's the only 'real' Donkey Kong game the DS got, and I figure DS models would be easier to port. They could've gone the easy way with just model ripping from DKCR 3D, but they only took the Tiki drones and nothing more. It's very good news however that Jungle Climber has got Sakurai looking, cause it was the last actual game where King K.Rool acted as a villain.

Also, there aren't many Kremling variations in Jungle Climber. To be percise, only regular green Kritters are Kremling enemies besides K.Rool. Neckies, Neeks and Zingers are very common enemies in the game though. But anyway, all bosses outside of Xananab (first boss -actually an ally-, DK and Diddy actually crash his space ship / UFO cause he attacked them at first) and K.Rool as final boss, are Kritters who use the power of Crystal Bananas to turn blue, and they levitate like they are Super Sayan and stuff and then they get into a big ass machine that does the fighting for them.

Anyway, those blue Kritters could very well be the 'large Kremlings' being talked about. They don't officially have a name, they are just K.Rools most trusted vassals, or something, K.Rool doesn''t really seem to care about his followers too much anyway :laugh:

This is the best footage I could find, check around 12.09 - actual battle starts around 12.35

I think these could be used, and not Krusha or Kludge or Klubba, even though they'd be awesome as ****.

bellboy64

Smash Journeyman
No, the leaker doesn't have any new info, that much is obvious. (Because the idiot got himself fired.) We'll probably get a different leaker in August/September since by then it'll be in the final stages of development and more people will be getting their hands on the game.
Are you serious? When did that come out? (I'm assuming you're talking about Sal Romano's guy)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
The developer who leaked has been fired? Nice going. But to be expected. Would like to hear this confirmed as well. Preferably from Sal Romano himself.

Shagadelic_Baby

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5112-4301-7728
Are you talking about Sal's Source? if so I want a proof.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I don't think I've said so before but... I support.

Just beat DKC today lol

Pureownege75

Smash Journeyman
Here's my take
If this boss enemy is K. Rool, his chances become 0%
If this boss enemy is someone like Klump, Krusha, or Kudgel, K. Rool's chances are near 100% in my eyes.

It's definitely more likely that it's the later, because judging the other Bosses we know about (Bonkers and Kraid), it's apparant that for these Smash Run bosses, they are picking lesser bosses, rather than series antagonists.

In short, K. Rool's chances just went from decent to fantastic.

Also I'm new to this thread so if I could be added to the supporter list that'd be awesome

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Did you fall for the "Kredits?"
Yes. Yes I did.

Despite owning the game in my youth, I never actually beat it for whatever reason. My recollection is that snow levels are the absolute worst. But... Now that I've played it again and beaten it I love it so much.

I don't care for 2 or particularly 3 though. Despite myself liking Dixie

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Are you serious? When did that come out? (I'm assuming you're talking about Sal Romano's guy)
I was half-joking, but based on what Sal himself had said he seems to imply the guy who leaked him the info isn't working for Nintendo anymore. Mostlikely scenario is he got fired for being an idiot.

Yes. Yes I did.

Despite owning the game in my youth, I never actually beat it for whatever reason. My recollection is that snow levels are the absolute worst. But... Now that I've played it again and beaten it I love it so much.

I don't care for 2 or particularly 3 though. Despite myself liking Dixie
2 is the best. 3 is kinda iffy for most people, but all three are great. 2 is by far the best, though.

Here's my take
If this boss enemy is K. Rool, his chances become 0%
If this boss enemy is someone like Klump, Krusha, or Kudgel, K. Rool's chances are near 100% in my eyes.

It's definitely more likely that it's the later, because judging the other Bosses we know about (Bonkers and Kraid), it's apparant that for these Smash Run bosses, they are picking lesser bosses, rather than series antagonists.

In short, K. Rool's chances just went from decent to fantastic.

Also I'm new to this thread so if I could be added to the supporter list that'd be awesome
My thoughts exactly, that's why I'm getting ever more excited for K. Rool's krushing konfirmation.

Last edited:

Camc10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cam10_84
3DS FC
3625-9535-8650
While this doesn't really matter, has anyone noticed this thread has the second most replies than any other running thread.

Top Bottom