• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K rool is a garbage low midtier

Agree?

• Yes

• No (please reply why)

Results are only viewable after voting.
D

Deleted member

I don't get the optimism around this incredibly faulty character. Why do you guys even main him? If it's "for fun", I can't possibly see how.

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
I don't get the optimism around this incredibly faulty character. Why do you guys even main him? If it's "for fun", I can't possibly see how.
Things can be rough for K Rool but you speak as though he has absolutely no strengths whatsoever, which is not accurate as I'm sure has been explored countless times already

As for why I main him, he's fun to play, his projectiles are dope, he hits relatively hard, he lives a long ass time provided that he doesn't get hit by a cringy counter while he's coptering back to stage, and belly armor allows me to apply bait and punish mind games that I wouldn't be able to use otherwise. Outside of gameplay he's probably top 3 for me on personality in his model and animations, which makes him a blast to play on its own.

D

Deleted member

Haven't got the chance to play him yet but for me it's cause he's a fun character with really fun moves. Also just really enjoy his unhinged and goofy personality.

D

Deleted member

Haven't got the chance to play him yet but for me it's cause he's a fun character with really fun moves. Also just really enjoy his unhinged and goofy personality.
It won't matter when you start losing way more than you win with him.

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
It won't matter when you start losing way more than you win with him.
Don't be that way, we have someone who hasn't been able to play the game yet who is interested in our favorite character. Don't try to turn him off of King K Rool because YOU don't enjoy playing as him.

Kremling Man, go make us proud. Kroc their world.

D

Deleted member

Thanks guy and I understand where Game Zard is coming from but don't worry I plan on using the character as well as I can and giving it my best with him. Won't ever drop him cause I do adore this Kroc.

So yeah I'll give it my best for sure thanks.

D

Deleted member

Fine, go ahead. I won't ever pick up this character again until a patch makes him feel like less of a pain to do good with.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
Fine, go ahead. I won't ever picked up this character until a patch makes him feel like less of a pain to do good with.
So I suppose the best thing for you to do is drop K Rool and find a character you actually enjoy playing.

D

Deleted member

Everyone has their characters they like for us it’s King K. Rool.

Hope you find the character that is best for you though.

Whoever that is.

D

Deleted member

Everyone has their characters they like for us it’s King K. Rool.

Hope you find the character that is best for you though.

Whoever that is.
I honestly just play top/high tiers only at this point. No one I like is good enough.

D

Deleted member

Jesus, just leave if you hate the character so damn much. Literally every post is just you being a constant pessimistic *****
The game in general refuses to work in my favor. Literally nothing I do or anyone says stops me from constantly getting bodied.

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
compared to Sheik you King K rool players got NOTHING to complain about, you can kill with him right?
well try playing Sheik..she is difficult to kill with, and she dies easily..but still i win matches even though it is VERY difficult to play with her.

i honestly think you guys are just bad with the character but instead of blaming yourself you blame the character.
i suck with Fox for example but that's not the character's fault!

even though Sheik is a bad character you don't hear me dramatically complaining about me quitting to play her >.>

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
compared to Sheik you King K rool players got NOTHING to complain about, you can kill with him right?
well try playing Sheik..she is difficult to kill with, and she dies easily..but still i win matches even though it is VERY difficult to play with her.

i honestly think you guys are just bad with the character but instead of blaming yourself you blame the character.

even though Sheik is a bad character you don't hear me dramatically complaining about me quitting to play her >.>
Sheik is currently quite viable at the very highest level of play and has significant results including top 8 at an S tier supermajor. King K Rool is currently candidate for worst character in the game according to the overwhelming majority of pro players.

This comment is absolutely laughable at best and demonstrates a complete lack of understanding of both this character and even kinda your own tbh.

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman

This is pretty loaded. And I will admit there are a few people being dramatic, but it's kinda rude coming in here telling the entire K Rool community they suck with their character. Is your next visit to the Mac board to tell them "just don't go off stage"?

Criticism is welcome, flaming is not.

Last edited:

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
Sheik is currently quite viable at the very highest level of play and has significant results including top 8 at an S tier supermajor. King K Rool is currently candidate for worst character in the game according to the overwhelming majority of pro players.

This comment is absolutely laughable at best and demonstrates a complete lack of understanding of both this character and even kinda your own tbh.
well cool that you think that! but hey at least it's how i think of Sheik but at the same time i am not being as dramatic about it as some in this thread are on KKR
well if it's laughable then great you had your first laugh of the day! :D

This is pretty loaded. And I will admit there are a few people being dramatic, but it's kinda rude coming in here telling the entire K Rool community they suck with their character. Is your next visit to the Mac board to tell them "just don't go off stage"?

Criticism is welcome, flaming is not.
it wasn't meant to the whole community btw maybe it did sound that way..now that i read it back it kinda did sorry about that...
but tbh that sentence was meant for the dramatic ones on here, if i was being this dramatic over a character then i won't find it weird if someone comes up to me saying exact same thing to me
cause it's really easy to blame the character,controller, the stage etc

Last edited:

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
well cool that you think that! but hey at least it's how i think of Sheik but at the same time i am not being as dramatic about it as some in this thread are on KKR

it wasn't meant to the whole community btw maybe it did sound that way..now that i read it back it kinda did sorry about that...
but tbh that sentence was meant for the dramatic ones on here, if i was being this dramatic over a character then i won't find it weird if someone comes up to me saying exact same thing to me
cause it's really easy to blame the character,controller, the stage etc
Yeah, if you scroll up you can see we've been trying to talk to the dramatic ones. But overall, K Rool isn't great and it's just frustrating playing a character that is constantly put in bottom tier. There are a lot of us here who still have fun and still make it work, but its demoralizing.

Anyways, apology accepted. If you ever want to see some non-whining K Rools in action, let us know.

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
I didn't express any opinions, only facts of the current meta, so I wouldn't really say I shared with you any of what I think.

But yes, as luck would have it, it was 8 in the morning when I read your weird & inaccurate comment so it truthfully was my first laugh of the day! :)

whitesnake

Smash Apprentice
If you are just playing online I am not sure that choosing a low tier will make you lose a higher percentage of games. Two main reasons:

1) you may personally be better with the low tier. The game is pretty balanced overall considering how big the roster is... not a HUGE gap between the worst and best characters. Some people are honestly better with K Rool than with Joker or Wolf

2) GSP helps keep players loosely around a 50% win rate. Yes the system has its flaws, as people love to point out. But - by and large - winning gets you tougher opponents and losing gets you easier ones. you could eventually settle into a GSP range, winning roughly half of your matches.. with a good or bad character, at two different GSP ranges

If you are worried about your “ceiling” as a player and getting the best possible rank, you should pick a top tier most likely. But unless you are playing tournaments choosing a low tier character does not mean you will have a terrible win rate... though it could mean you lose a bit more at the top end and get slotted in easier matchups

The difference here is minimal. I would rather be 5.6M GSP with K rool than 5.8 with a character I don’t enjoy as much.. because really the only point is to have fun

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
Look, let's understand one another. I don't play K. Rool because he's a low-tier. I play him because I am a big fan of King K. Rool in general. I haven't even heard of Donkey Kong Country until I saw a long-play on Donkey Kong Country Returns. Then I watched the Donkey Kong Country boss fight with King K. Rool, and I fell in love with the character's dorky personality.

Like MKLeo says: he doesn't play a character because of their tier placement, he plays them because he likes the character and the franchise they came from.

D

Deleted member

King K. is currently my only character in Elite Smash, and he's been there for months because I'm honestly too afraid to play him again. I don't hate the character, I'm afraid to go on yet another losing streak with him.

Last weekend, I wanted to improve with Donkey Kong, a real main, after being too afraid to not get anywhere with him. Of like 4 people I played, I could only beat the 2nd one. After that, I lost faith.

I don't want to experience that again, as there's no one else I genuinely main. What would you do if you wanted to go back to KKR but were too afraid?

whitesnake

Smash Apprentice
King K. is currently my only character in Elite Smash, and he's been there for months because I'm honestly too afraid to play him again. I don't hate the character, I'm afraid to go on yet another losing streak with him.

Last weekend, I wanted to improve with Donkey Kong, a real main, after being too afraid to not get anywhere with him. Of like 4 people I played, I could only beat the 2nd one. After that, I lost faith.

I don't want to experience that again, as there's no one else I genuinely main. What would you do if you wanted to go back to KKR but were too afraid?

1) care less. It’s a video game. If you are not having fun go do something else. I realize this is easier said than done but there should be no “despair” over playing a game. It’s a leisure activity.

2) pick up ROB? He is better and has some of the same things that make k rool fun (long recovery, gimp ability, spikes, multiple projectiles, burial throw)

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow

Well, perhaps I was a bit snippy before. Sorry mate.

The reason you're unsatisfied with the experience is because neither DK or K. Rool have many results or representation. The most important factor is that you have fun. Psychologically, you are going to perform better with a character you understand and really click with.

D

Deleted member

You playing like trash is no excuse to actually act like a trash lord
So you just ignored my recent post? And continue to assume I'm trash? If I was trash, my GSP wouldn't be 5.6M.

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
I think it'd be better to get this topic back on track.

So, lately a lot of high level players have been making their tier lists, and with no surprise K Rool is consistently at the bottom. Now, I think K Rool is very flawed, but I honestly don't see him as a bottom tier. He has more going for him than that. (Although Kirby is bottom tier also, and I don't think Kirby is awful either).

What I'm really hoping will happen is that K Rool will get the Isabelle treatment. I'm not sure what it was, but recently Isabelle has jumped up on tier lists (not very far, but she's not at the bottom any more). I think it was a mix of some buffs that made her moveset actually function correctly, along with just more exposure to the character. I think if K Rool got some minor buffs, and had just a few more high-mid caliber players, I think K Rool could easily claw himself out of bottom tier...again, probably not very far, but I think that small gap is important to our character's reputation.

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
I think it'd be better to get this topic back on track.

So, lately a lot of high level players have been making their tier lists, and with no surprise K Rool is consistently at the bottom. Now, I think K Rool is very flawed, but I honestly don't see him as a bottom tier. He has more going for him than that. (Although Kirby is bottom tier also, and I don't think Kirby is awful either).

What I'm really hoping will happen is that K Rool will get the Isabelle treatment. I'm not sure what it was, but recently Isabelle has jumped up on tier lists (not very far, but she's not at the bottom any more). I think it was a mix of some buffs that made her moveset actually function correctly, along with just more exposure to the character. I think if K Rool got some minor buffs, and had just a few more high-mid caliber players, I think K Rool could easily claw himself out of bottom tier...again, probably not very far, but I think that small gap is important to our character's reputation.
I see why many people place him as candidate for worst character tbh, and the main reason for that is that despite his strengths he has many many glaring flaws that, when looked at relative to other characters, make it difficult to succeed as a K Rool main.

It's hard to move him up the tier list when the other characters outclass him so hard, despite how he looks in a vacuum. If we were to move him up as is, who specifically do you think he could pass on the tier list? Sort of a rhetorical question, just to illustrate my point.

I agree buffs would do wonders though and I could see him going up if he was given safer options and if his tools were adjusted to make his disadvantage state less terrible. As it is right now I worry that my main is one big ol' gimmick.

Last edited:

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
I see why many people place him as candidate for worst character tbh, and the main reason for that is that despite his strengths he has many many glaring flaws that, when looked at relative to other characters, make it difficult to succeed as a K Rool main.

It's hard to move him up the tier list when the other characters outclass him so hard, despite how he looks in a vacuum. If we were to move him up as is, who specifically do you think he could pass on the tier list? Sort of a rhetorical question, just to illustrate my point.

I agree buffs would do wonders though and I could see him going up if he was given safer options and if his tools were adjusted to make his disadvantage state less terrible. As it is right now I worry that my main is one big ol' gimmick.
I completely agree with all of that (unfortunately). I think the main problem with him is that, in some match ups, he just straight up loses. I don't mean 70/30 or 60/40, I mean he just straight up loses. If I play a Ness or Palutena that's even close to my skill level, I just lose and there's nothing I can do about it.

I've been in the King K discord a little bit, and I respect them for being so optimistic, but I frequently hear people over there say that there's no such thing as a losing match up, just be a better player. But there comes a point, and King K has reached this point long ago, that you just got to switch off of him. If I'm in bracket, there's some characters I just don't even attempt with King K for obvious reasons.

TLDR Give King K tools to have better match ups.

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
I completely agree with all of that (unfortunately). I think the main problem with him is that, in some match ups, he just straight up loses. I don't mean 70/30 or 60/40, I mean he just straight up loses. If I play a Ness or Palutena that's even close to my skill level, I just lose and there's nothing I can do about it.
Some of K Rool's matchups are straight up cringe, like Brawl Ganon levels of futility

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
recently when i talked about k.rool needing buffs

someone said "Ben Gold won a large Australia tournament with K.Rool are we just gonna forget that?"

or

"i play kirby
i still do well in tournaments and can admit my losses are my own
man up, get good
every character can be viable"

which to me seems like it was written by someone who has never tried to play k.rool

Last edited:

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
recently when i talked about k.rool needing buffs

someone said "Ben Gold won a large Australia tournament with K.Rool are we just gonna forget that?"

or

"i play kirby
i still do well in tournaments and can admit my losses are my own
man up, get good
every character can be viable"

which to me seems like it was written by someone who has never tried to play k.rool
See, I think it's more of a how you said it, instead of what you said. K Rool obviously needs something changed (I hate being a buff-beggar, but yknow, sometimes...). But complaining and analyzing are two different things. Not calling you out or anything, just, there's a lot of complaining on this board and that's not what our character needs right now.

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
still....to act like K.Rool's viable is a little silly and that all you need to do is man up....that's pretty lame

we all know what k.rool needs right now but all we really can do is wait and hope a patch comes out that fixes him...sadly we might be waiting awhile for that one

so what can we really say at this point when the character isn't delivering and we might never get a patch to buff anything? it's rough being a k.rool player right now

more so when i consistently have to deal with people who've never played K.Rool before telling me "it's not that bad" and that i just need to stop sucking so much

Last edited:

Leoinu

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Leoinus
So you just ignored my recent post? And continue to assume I'm trash? If I was trash, my GSP wouldn't be 5.6M.
GSP barely means anything my guy.

I have more than 50 characters of the roster in Elite Smash and I assure you I’m hot garbage still LOL. Curb your ego

Also youre the one saying youre -constantly- getting bodied. Wheres the lie lol

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

GSP barely means anything my guy.

I have more than 50 characters of the roster in Elite Smash and I assure you I’m hot garbage still LOL. Curb your ego

Also youre the one saying youre -constantly- getting bodied. Wheres the lie lol
What do you even suggest I do?

SecretAsianMan

Smash Apprentice
just to clear some things up: this is about in bracket and not online right
the viability of K.rool

SecretAsianMan

Smash Apprentice
to get good:
step 1). join your character's discord. https://smashcords.com/smash-5
-The discords always provide a crap ton of info plus many people that do know what they are talking about, and most discords even have active competitive players that are willing to talk. plus, great source of memes
step 2). get arena matches with people from that discord
-It is a lot easier to improve when you lose to someone and they can actually tell you what you did wrong instead of just hitting rematch and moving on. Thats the beauty of getting matches through discord. Also, using character discords will allow you to get matches with specific characters you struggle fighting aswell, and the players can share tech and stuff to teach others through fighting.
step 3). Record your losses
-Recording your losses and posting them in the character discord will allow competitive players that are busy to analyze your gameplay and critique you. It will help A TON. Also all of the character discord have a nice guy policy so you wont get attacked for a loss. Just ask and you shall receive.

Top Bottom