• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Just pick a top tier.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Ankoku's Rankings said:
May/June 2008
S: Snake, Meta Knight, King Dedede
A: Marth, Mr. Game & Watch, Wario, Lucario, ROB, Falco, Olimar
B: Kirby, Donkey Kong, Wolf, Fox, Ice Climbers, Pit
C: Zero Suit Samus, Peach, Ness, Diddy Kong, Toon Link, Pikachu, Luigi, Captain Falcon, Zelda
D: Samus, Bowser, Ike, Jigglypuff, Pokémon Trainer
E: Lucas, Sonic, Ganondorf, SheikZelda, Mario, Link
U: Sheik, Yoshi
Diddy = 20th

Ankoku's Rankings said:
Most up-to-date rankings, no details: (last updated November 22nd, 2009)

S: Meta Knight, Snake
A: Diddy Kong, Marth, Falco, Ice Climbers
B: King Dedede, Wario, Olimar, Lucario, ROB
C: Pikachu, Zero Suit Samus, Kirby, Mr. Game & Watch, Donkey Kong, Toon Link, Pit
D: Sonic, Ike, Luigi, Wolf, Peach, Pokémon Trainer, Link, Fox, Zelda/Sheik, Ness
E: Yoshi, Bowser, Lucas, Ganondorf, Mario, Samus, Captain Falcon, Jigglypuff
Diddy = 3rd

****, I shoulda dropped Diddy back when I had the chance! It is clear that as this game progressed what everyone predicted has come true! It is completely possible to use Diddy bananas against him as everyone was saying when the game came out, which is why he is still just a mid-tier...

Oh. Wait.

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
Diddy = 20th

Diddy = 3rd

****, I shoulda dropped Diddy back when I had the chance! It is clear that as this game progressed what everyone predicted has come true! It is completely possible to use Diddy bananas against him as everyone was saying when the game came out, which is why he is still just a mid-tier...

Oh. Wait.
^ I lol'd pretty hard

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Diddy = 20th

Diddy = 3rd

Oh. Wait.
So, are you trying to say that Diddy isn't S Tier?

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
He's pointing out that the meta-game changes too often and that your mid-tier character could have some big break through and become high tier.

mmf

Smash Rookie
lol Ledger, but yea I believe that low tiers can be tourney viable just for the sheer fact that a lot of people just don't have that much match up experience against them. The element of surprise + mind games can be a truely powerful thing if used right.

roces9

Smash Rookie
however, low-tier maining has it's benifits.

if you say, beat a falco with a ganon..that's an auto +9001 bragging rights / cool points

Didn't get all the way through the thread, but my 2v2 partner plays Ganondorf and embarrasses a lot of people because he knows the character and most other people don't know how to handle the match-up. He can play Diddy and Snake (which would probably help us win more) but he has way more fun playing with G-dorf. Isn't that enough validation for him to main anyone?

Think about high school football. Not every kid on the team wants to play in college and some are content with just putting their four years in. If they're never going to play in the NFL does that mean they should never bother playing at all?

Ledger_Damayn

Smash Ace
lol Ledger, but yea I believe that low tiers can be tourney viable just for the sheer fact that a lot of people just don't have that much match up experience against them. The element of surprise + mind games can be a truely powerful thing if used right.
I guess, but it takes a LOT more research and effort to get a low tier character up to the point at which you can use lack of matchup information as a weapon.

As in, if you put that much effort into a higher tier character, you wouldn't even need the matchup info.

MetalMusicMan

Sleepwalk our lives away.
People play low tier characters because they can gloat when they win and ignore when they lose.

"LOL my PT beat your MK."

"Of course you beat my Jiggs, that matchup is like 80 : 20."

Honestly, it's just a huge mind ****. You can't beat a low tier main. They win, you lose. You win, you lose.
I really hate it when people do this, it's so annoying and such b-s.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
A more recent example, though not as drastic:

Ankoku's Rankings said:
Fall 2008
S: Meta Knight
A: Snake, King Dedede
B: (Falco, Marth), (Mr. Game & Watch, Wario), Lucario, (Diddy Kong, Olimar), ROB
C: Kirby, (Wolf, Peach), Pikachu, (Ice Climbers, Donkey Kong), Sonic, Zero Suit Samus
D: (Bowser, Zelda/Sheik, Toon Link, Ike, Luigi, Pit), Fox
E: (Ness, Yoshi, Mario), Pokémon Trainer, (Link, Captain Falcon), (Lucas, Samus), Jigglypuff, Ganondorf
Most up-to-date rankings, no details: (last updated November 22nd, 2009)

S: Meta Knight, Snake
A: Diddy Kong, Marth, Falco, Ice Climbers
B: King Dedede, Wario, Olimar, Lucario, ROB
C: Pikachu, Zero Suit Samus, Kirby, Mr. Game & Watch, Donkey Kong, Toon Link, Pit
D: Sonic, Ike, Luigi, Wolf, Peach, Pokémon Trainer, Link, Fox, Zelda/Sheik, Ness
E: Yoshi, Bowser, Lucas, Ganondorf, Mario, Samus, Captain Falcon, Jigglypuff
The point is you should play who you like. Lain told me back in November 08 before he was known country wide that he had figured out how to play the game way better and that the Ice Climbers were an amazing character. At the time people were like "well, Hylian has the CG's perfect so hes already shown all that the IC's can do". Lain said F' that, I'll show you what they really can do.

There are a lot of characters in mid-tierish position that have a lot of unlocked potential.

Ledger_Damayn

Smash Ace
IC's were a bad example. They have a totally ridiculous learning curve and it wouldn't be reasonable for a large number of be proficient with them until a much later time anyway, even IF their metagame was "unlocked."

Roflmao at Link placing above Fox and Zelda/Shiek. What'chu smokin', Smash community?

Plummn

Smash Cadet
I personally hate that tiers exist. It would be a lot more fun if you could be any character to be good. I hate it that everyone uses my best character, so I'm pretty much not being original, and I hate that(even though I found out through my own research that MK was my best and I didn't look it up on smash wiki like some over competitive smash players I know) I find it the most annoying thing about SSB.

kit

Smash Apprentice
just because YOU can't do something doesn't mean others can't too...

go san! If he didn't main ike he prly wouldn't be talked about as much and the fact that not only is he really good with ike but I imagine he likes him a lot is just more bonus.

Winning and all in competitive events is fun but I'd rather lose as fox than win as metaknight... it just wouldn't be as good of a win for me

sammy p

Smash Lord
maybe i dont wanna play a top tier :p
i play a bunch of middle tier characters such as pit, luigi, and toon link hahah top tier never suited me. EVER

Ledger_Damayn

Smash Ace
Lol, even if tiers didn't exist, intuition would tell you that Metaknight is the best character. I don't need Smashboards to tell me that Snake's tilts are OP.

People who diss other people who care enough to look information up to improve their character fall into the same elitist category of the people they hate. A lot of people find the competitive aspect of this game to be the most satisfying part. Just like you expect people to respect you for playing casually, you should respect the competitive community, especially since it takes a lot of work to research a character.

The fact that you are annoyed the most by people who are competitive about the game validates people being annoyed at ignorant casuals.

Tires dun exits ftw.

14fanofanime

Smash Rookie
"Unless you can beat EVERYBODY IN THE ENTIRE WORLD with your low tier character, it's just pointless."

I know I can't beat everybody with a low tier character, but can I beat everybody in the world with a top tier character? No. Why? I main with low tier characters. Just because they are higher tier does not mean they are better for everybody. My main is Zelda/Sheik, and they're not a typical Meta Knight, but with me, I know how to easily combo up with Sheik more than others. Why? Because I use her most. I don't use Meta Knight that often, and mostly kill myself with him. Why? Because I'm not used to every B move being a recovery. Why? I main with Zelda.

Low tier characters have a purpose.
What is that?
To kick top tier butt.
Why?
Tiers are for queers. Choose a character you have control with.

Kirsche

Smash Rookie
There's no point in being in the top 17? I'd be pleased if I made it to the top 17 with MK, let alone Link.

Thing is, I find link more fun to use than MK because it's not so much about "lolz I can spam mach tornado" and more about "Which projectile should I use?".

See, I practiced for ages with Link, like, ages and ages. And I became good I can beat all my friends easy with him and hold my own online. I picked up Meta Knight and I did the same thing in my first game. What's the point? Where's the reward? Where's the satisfaction? Answer: There is none. For me, Winning with Link is an accomplishment, to me it says "You're decent with the second worst character in the game. Good job.".

Which is why, to me, I'll always main as Link, and even if I don't win, I won't care.

Laem

Smash Champion
and thats where alot of people go wrong. If your goal is winning, sure, play a top tier, as it increases ur odds of winning. If you have another goal, like having the most fun playing the game, play whichever character will get you closer to your goal.

Come to think of it....if in a competitive tournament everybody plays to win, arent lowtier mainers really just trolling, since theyre not trying their best to win? xD

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
More like you have a much better chance at winning. You have to work harder if you're going to play a low tier and sometimes you aren't taken seriously as a player.
i'd haft to agree with that.
In melee, how many Pichu's or hell even Pikachus did you see? VERY little. How many were good? The few i saw were pretty **** good, but they were playing a Marth so they got no reviews or anything. I saw one video on youtube (outta see if i can find it again, its OLD) where a pikachu beat a marth, but 9-10 of the comments were about how swift an attack by Marth was.

Unfortunately this is sort of how i play. I tend to pick the underdog characters to begin with, i rarely go anywhere with them but i always try. Not sure where Lucario fits, but i know Wario is more known.

and thats where alot of people go wrong. If your goal is winning, sure, play a top tier, as it increases ur odds of winning. If you have another goal, like having the most fun playing the game, play whichever character will get you closer to your goal.

Come to think of it....if in a competitive tournament everybody plays to win, arent lowtier mainers really just trolling, since theyre not trying their best to win? xD
This too. Reason i avoid the retardedly easy and overpowered characters like Pit, MK, or Snake is because i play to goof off and have fun as well as kick your ***. They arent fun to me, theyre too cheap and easy. I've lost maybe 4 games out of.....no idea how many where i did use them but my only fun was pissing someone off with Snake's mines/C-4's.
This is also why i developed a banana-based tactic with Diddy-Kong. I usually dont win with it, but maaaan is it fun rofl

Ledger_Damayn

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure more people hate Lucario than Wario. Roll dodge -> roll dodge -> Aura Sphere/F-smash is a bit more gay than air dodge -> air dodge -> air dodge. Lucario is top mid tier, so I wouldn't really consider him impoverished in that respect, lol.

You should watch some ChuDat videos from Melee. His Pika is totally legit. But you have so many more movement options in Melee that even bottom tier characters aren't totally invalidated.

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
I'm pretty sure more people hate Lucario than Wario. Roll dodge -> roll dodge -> Aura Sphere/F-smash is a bit more gay than air dodge -> air dodge -> air dodge. Lucario is top mid tier, so I wouldn't really consider him impoverished in that respect, lol.
I figured he was atleast midtier cuz his movements are a little odd (to me anyway). However, that dodge roll dodge thing is my general tactic when im playing serious regardless of what character im using heh. Even in melee, cuz i refused to become a "pro" and use wavedash.
Been trying to get away from that habit tho because my brother/friends hate that constant rolling crap. Lately i've been the edge-hogging type. Lucario is a pretty good edgehogger.

Ledger_Damayn

Smash Ace
Lucario's roll dodge is faster than his run speed, with a huge amount of invincibility frames to boot. It just so happens that you really never actually HAVE a reason to run.

With most other characters in Brawl, roll dodging is an awful idea to spam (i.e. G&W). It's usually a preferable option to just... walk. Running is generally a bad idea too, since it exacerbates the odds of tripping.

Wavedashing in Melee is overhyped. For most characters, it's just useful for precise spacing and mindgames. It's rarely necessary in combos (waveshining aside), and some characters have such bad wavedashes that there really is no reason to use them at all, other than being flashy. Obviously there are exceptions, like Luigi's wavedash. Just knowing how to wavedash won't let you own your friends, is all I'm saying.

BlueHurricane

Smash Cadet
I am one of those sad people that suck with all competitively good characters in Brawl, no matter how much I practice/like them. Instead of failing at using a high tier and having my favorite character be a secondary, I have my favorite character as a main and have my tons of other mid-low tier secondaries/thirdaries/whatever you want to call them that I also like tons to deal with other matchups if I really feel the need to do so.

E-Jolteon

Smash Ace
Seriously, why would you bother playing a lower tier character? You're not gonna win. You're into competitive smash bros; if you're not the best then you're just wasting your time.
Because, we're not bigots. I'll play whoever I feel like. Also, if everyone went by your(********) logic, the tier list would never evolve, because after the first week of the game, the final list would be decided.

Also, guess what? The people that matter don't play just to win. They don't just play to be the "best". It's a game. Winning is awesome, but there's no point if you're not having fun. And you know how I have fun? Forget the tier list, I play the characters I like, and do the best I can with them.

sammy p

Smash Lord
Because, we're not bigots. I'll play whoever I feel like. Also, if everyone went by your(********) logic, the tier list would never evolve, because after the first week of the game, the final list would be decided.

Also, guess what? The people that matter don't play just to win. They don't just play to be the "best". It's a game. Winning is awesome, but there's no point if you're not having fun. And you know how I have fun? Forget the tier list, I play the characters I like, and do the best I can with them.
YES YES YES!!!!!
you just put everything i wanted to say better than i couldhave ever said it :) thank you!

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Seriously, why would you bother playing a lower tier character? You're not gonna win. You're into competitive smash bros; if you're not the best then you're just wasting your time.
Who says I play competitively?

Plenty of people play for fun, and just because you do doesn't mean everyone else on SWF do, so shut up.

Holty

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, the tier list is taking some effect. My friend is constantly switching his main (he's only wanting to focus on one character). It's gone from MK, Sonic, Yoshi, Toon Link, Wario, Fox, and now to D3. I don't really know why. It's just that he doesn't wanna be judged for playing a high tier character, so he aims for a mid-low tier character, but then he feels that he wants to return to a higher tier as he'd have a lot more potential - it's a mess!

bobson

Smash Lord
Why are you people still replying to this? The OP hasn't replied to anything said in here, implying he either realized his point was obviously wrong, or he decided that any further trolling wasn't worth the effort. In either case, there's no reason to keep bumping it.

Although I would like to preserve this quote here:
retardedly easy and overpowered characters like Pit

theCook

Smash Cadet
Thread tangent: Can you play for fun competitively?

ie. Flag Football, Intramural Sports

Just curious as to the opinions. O:

Top Bottom