• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Just pick a top tier.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
With forward from Sanford Kelly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGh4ZU4H5Hk

Seriously, why would you bother playing a lower tier character? You're not gonna win. You're into competitive smash bros; if you're not the best then you're just wasting your time. I mean sure, we all have our low tier secondaries...for ****s and giggles in drunk friendlies at 3 AM, or for a $2 entry low tier side event, but why waste your time playing them seriously? Even if you win your locals, do you really think you can go out and win a large tournament with them? Don't be delusional...

There are "exceptions." #1 on the NY Power Rankings: an Ike named San (unrelated to Sanford Kelly above (note that NYC isn't included on the NY Power Rankings)). He beats good players like Jesiah and PikaPika on a what I understand to be consistent enough basis to be ranked #1 in the state, so I'll assume he's really good. But at the end of the day, no matter how well he does with Ike in New York, why bother? There's no reason to use Ike over MK or Snake. When he goes national, what happens? Hell, regional even. I'd be willing to bet that the top 5 in NYC could beat San, but that remains to be seen. If San goes and destroys Anti and Shadow and Ninjalink and Snakeee and Jash, you can quote me and make me look like an idiot. Of course it's nothing against San as a player, but the fact he uses a low tier just destroys it for him.

Unless you can beat everyone in the entire world with your low tier character, it's just pointless. Being the best low tier main means nothing if you're not actually winning tournaments. It's cool that Reflex has the best Pokemon Trainer and Ray Kalm has the best Ganondorf, but they still don't win. They're not exactly in the strongest regions, either.

Maining Sonic in tourneys is not a smart idea, it's just a delusional idea which might get you somewhere in your states bi-weeklies, but when it comes down to an actual national/big tournament, you'll place top 17 or something, which means nothing.
The same thing applies to all low tiers. Just stop it, pick up MK or Snake or Falco or Diddy or someone that wins tournaments and just enjoy your tournament winnings.

-Ran

Smash Master
Unless you can beat everyone in the entire world with your low tier character, it's just pointless. Being the best low tier main means nothing if you're not actually winning tournaments.
Unless you can beat everyone in the entire world with your top tier character, it's just pointless. Being an average top tier main means nothing if you aren't actually winning.

Some people are simply better with a low tier than they are with a top tier character. Some people cannot make the mental jump away from the reason that they are playing Brawl [Ie to play as Fox or something of that sort] or they just don't feel that the play style of the top tiers fits into how they want to play the game.

Beyond that, there are some people that don't care about playing the game to win a tournament, but rather to be the best of a character. Then beyond that, people are stubborn. There's a reason that Sethlon played Roy for so long. After putting so much work into the character, there was no way that he could learn another character to that extent. Really, as long as low tier mains know to avoid their worst match ups with counter picks, they can exploit a lack of match up experience from their opponents.

Neo Exdeath

Smash Ace
Has TC ever heard of a low-tier tourney?

Has TC ever seen Ally's Falcon?

Has TC ever seen Boss's Mario?

Has TC ever researched this topic ?

stingers135 said:
Unless you can beat everyone in the entire world with your low tier character, it's just pointless. Being the best low tier main means nothing if you're not actually winning tournaments. It's cool that Reflex has the best Pokemon Trainer and Ray Kalm has the best Ganondorf, but they still don't win. They're not exactly in the strongest regions, either.
The same applies to a top tier main. If you can't beat everyone in the entire world with your top tier, it's just pointless. Also, some people have a lot of skill with low tiers (see: Reflex, Boss, Ally) They like them better then high tiers. And they actually win low tier tourneys.

Ran Iji said:
Really, as long as low tier mains know to avoid their worst match ups with counter picks, they can exploit a lack of match up experience from their opponents.
I 100% agree with this statement.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
You're into competitive smash bros; if you're not the best then you're just wasting your time
With this mentality, why would you choose a high tier? Choose MK.

RedrappeR

Smash Journeyman
With forward from Sanford Kelly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGh4ZU4H5Hk

Seriously, why would you bother playing a lower tier character? You're not gonna win. You're into competitive smash bros; if you're not the best then you're just wasting your time. I mean sure, we all have our low tier secondaries...for ****s and giggles in drunk friendlies at 3 AM, or for a $2 entry low tier side event, but why waste your time playing them seriously? Even if you win your locals, do you really think you can go out and win a large tournament with them? Don't be delusional...

There are "exceptions." #1 on the NY Power Rankings: an Ike named San (unrelated to Sanford Kelly above (note that NYC isn't included on the NY Power Rankings)). He beats good players like Jesiah and PikaPika on a what I understand to be consistent enough basis to be ranked #1 in the state, so I'll assume he's really good. But at the end of the day, no matter how well he does with Ike in New York, why bother? There's no reason to use Ike over MK or Snake. When he goes national, what happens? Hell, regional even. I'd be willing to bet that the top 5 in NYC could beat San, but that remains to be seen. If San goes and destroys Anti and Shadow and Ninjalink and Snakeee and Jash, you can quote me and make me look like an idiot. Of course it's nothing against San as a player, but the fact he uses a low tier just destroys it for him.

The same thing applies to all low tiers. Just stop it, pick up MK or Snake or Falco or Diddy or someone that wins tournaments and just enjoy your tournament winnings.

Yes. Because Tatsu(Vega), Yeb(Gen), Justin(Fei), Sanford(Cammy), Iyo(Dhalsim), Shiro(Abel), Combofiend(Abel), Kai(Fuerte), Mike Ross(Honda) And Valle(Gouken). I mean, when do those guys ever win tournaments? Pfft.

All seriousness... you misunderstood his point. If you're trying to pick a character whose low tier, because you think you're a rebel... no. If you're picking the character because you like their play style... that's a different scenario altogether. From when I played Brawl... even at tourney's MK really never scared me, and frankly, that matches I played with Sonic all seemed winnable if I could mindgame well enough(and anybody at a fighting game who tells you they won't get mindgamed is bull****. That's how you win at Street Fighter. It's all mindgames.( If anybody keeps complaining to you they lost to Ryu because of a random DP, they need to learn something) It's how you win at any competitive game. There's a point where execution and character balance even out, and then it's how you use the tools you're given.

Iyo took Dhalsim, a seemingly low tier character-- whose still not amazingly high on the tier list-- and elevated him to celebrity status by winning nationals. His defense was not only solid, it was scary. He could hit you from across the screen... and unless you could read the man, you'd get ****ed up without even getting a chance to get close to him.

I picked up Brawl the other day and fooled around a bit with it and it's the same deal. As long as you know the mindgame, you got a shot. ****, if Ultradavid could take ****ing Q, a guy with a 1-9 matchup against Chun Li(ouch) in 3s, there's no reason your character with an 8-2 can't beat metaknight.

You play who you're comfertable with. That's how you win.

Flayl

Smash Hero
This might be the most tired subject in Smash. You're not saying anything new.

I guess that's why you posted in General instead of Tactical.

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
I saw someone post that on the Metaknight ban topic a while back.

Thats how some people view the character selection system.

"I wanna just have priority... just w**** it out... F*** working dude, who want to work? I want the money to work for me, I'm tired of working for the money."

Neo Exdeath

Smash Ace

"I wanna just have priority... just w**** it out... F*** working dude, who want to work? I want the money to work for me, I'm tired of working for the money."

By that, do you mean the "If I pick a high-tier main I will be better and win tourneys" mentality?

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
By that, do you mean the "If I pick a high-tier main I will be better and win tourneys" mentality?
More like you have a much better chance at winning. You have to work harder if you're going to play a low tier and sometimes you aren't taken seriously as a player.

JOE!

Smash Hero
however, low-tier maining has it's benifits.

if you say, beat a falco with a ganon..that's an auto +9001 bragging rights / cool points

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820

Umm, I remember the guy, and he was making a crack at the SF video where one of the good Ken players was whining about him always losing to Sagat. The guy who posted that just changed the SF stuff for Brawl stuff, to make it funny, but almost no one understood the joke.

Aibou

Smash Master
for me most of my picks are mid tier ex.link and sonic.plus the top tier fox.BUT guess what.i'm best with link a mid tier. and i still win matches.
Fox is mid-tier bud (for now).

Personally, I main/second a character from each tier: Zelda for low, Peach for mid, Marth for high, and MK for top. But the character I perform the best with is Zelda. Everyone is comfortable with a certain character. I could play MK for the rest of my life, but I'll never get the same comfortable, easy to use feeling that I get when I use Zelda. I've tried making MK, Marth, and Peach my mains before, but Zelda always stood ahead. It doesn't matter who they are, what matters is who you do best with. Sure MK/Marth would be handy with bad Zelda MUs like Game&Watch and Olimar (which is why it's good to have a reliable second), but Zelda will always be my best.

And also, something else that matters is how seriously you take the game. If you want to win, and win only, then just go MK. But if you want to enjoy yourself, go with who you're best with, be it MK or Ganondorf. Even when I start joining tournaments, I'm going to use Zelda, because I'm not hardcore about winning.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
More like you have a much better chance at winning. You have to work harder if you're going to play a low tier and sometimes you aren't taken seriously as a player.
Not being taken seriously is the other guy's loss.

Ceteris paribus

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Funny thing is, you might not be skilled enough with a top tier to place very highly. So it wouldn't matter, you'd use who you enjoy and try your very best. You're easily disadvantaged, but keep in mind. You're just sponsering the better players.

kr3wman

Smash Master
Yes. Because Tatsu(Vega), Yeb(Gen), Justin(Fei), Sanford(Cammy), Iyo(Dhalsim), Shiro(Abel), Combofiend(Abel), Kai(Fuerte), Mike Ross(Honda) And Valle(Gouken). I mean, when do those guys ever win tournaments? Pfft.
No. No. Yes, but he could with with tons of other characters. Yes, but he could with other characters. Yes. Not much. No. No. No. No.

And most of these characters can't even be considered close to low tier, in a game tons more balanced than Brawl.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
I will play whoever I feel like, and I'll enjoy it. I enjoy Mario, and I don't enjoy top tiers. Good day. I'm sure it's the same way with other low tier mains.

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
Troll Topic.

But on a serious note, you act as though anything not high tier is useless. You might as well tell all the Marth mains to quit marthing despite all of his good match-ups. Only the top characters though... very narrow and closed minded. I personally think anything Wolf and above is tourney valid.
I'm sure people would argue that though...

Neo Exdeath

Smash Ace
I will play whoever I feel like, and I'll enjoy it. I enjoy Mario, and I don't enjoy top tiers. Good day. I'm sure it's the same way with other low tier mains.

Well, I main Mario and Bowser, and I enjoy them, but I'm also learning Snake because I enjoy playing as him as well. I main low tiers, and that's my stance on top tiers. (Well, you could count bowser as mid-tier)

THEND

Smash Cadet
Troll Topic.

But on a serious note, you act as though anything not high tier is useless. You might as well tell all the Marth mains to quit marthing despite all of his good match-ups. Only the top characters though... very narrow and closed minded. I personally think anything Wolf and above is tourney valid.
I'm sure people would argue that though...
I agree with you 100%

How boring would it be to turn this game into a choice of six characters

BSP

Smash Legend
I'm with you.

I don't really enjoy playing the top tiers nearly as much as playing the low tiers. Different playstyles for different people i guess.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
I agree with you 100%

How boring would it be to turn this game into a choice of six characters
Welcome to competitive fighters. Where in the end you only have a handful of characters that you'll see winning large scale tourneys. 3s has it. St4 has it. Mvc2 has it. Tvc. Melty blood. Tekken. Melee. Brawl.

pretty much every fight devolves into that in the end. Where there are only 2-7 characters that will be most likely to win the largest tourneys.

hope you enjoy your stay.

Woozle

Smash Journeyman
People play low tier characters because they can gloat when they win and ignore when they lose.

"LOL my PT beat your MK."

"Of course you beat my Jiggs, that matchup is like 80 : 20."

Honestly, it's just a huge mind ****. You can't beat a low tier main. They win, you lose. You win, you lose.

Steel_Samurai

Smash Journeyman
People play low tier characters because they can gloat when they win and ignore when they lose.

"LOL my PT beat your MK."

"Of course you beat my Jiggs, that matchup is like 80 : 20."

Honestly, it's just a huge mind ****. You can't beat a low tier main. They win, you lose. You win, you lose.
I respect low tier mains that don't do this^

They rub it in when they win, because they are at a disadvantage or whatever,
but they john when they lose because of their character.

Its stupid, they could've picked MK at the character select screen, but they chose to disadvantage themselves, why brag about that?

As long as they admit they were outplayed, regardless of MU,
then they're cool;)

solecalibur

Smash Master
I dont go to tounrys to win but just to have fun I enjoy ZSS more then any high tier character any day and if I ever thought I could win the tounry if I switch, I'd never switch to a higher tier character just to win

Popcornio

Smash Apprentice
Competitive gaming isn't all about "winning at all costs". It's about becoming better and improving. So, why pick up a "top-tier" if you don't see yourself improving with them? I've thought about go straight to playing with Metaknight only to find myself not enjoying playing because he is totally out of my play style and just very bland to play with.

I consider myself a competitive player, but I still play to have fun. That's why I main someone that I enjoy playing with to begin with, as it fits my play style.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
...what? competitive gaming is about winning. That's why it's called competitive gaming and not just gaming. you're competing for 1st place. "becoming better and improving" is a sub-goal which is there to help you reach the main goal. get 1st place. fun is a secondary factor, as proven by plenty of pros who play games simply for money because their love for the game has died out ie M2K, though of course, fun is the main common driving factor in competitive gaming, most of the time at least.

wtf @ competitive gaming not about winning at all costs. if its legal, and its to your benefit, abuse it. if you dont want to or you can't, then its on you.

tbh, the only thing keeping people from performing better with a top tier than they do with a high/mid/low/bottom tier is their own person. their own mindset. how they see things and how they react. if people could change that on a whim, they would easily be able to pick up a top tier and play them as well as their favorite character and produce results that their favorite character could never replicate. only imitate on a smaller scale.

KBM

Smash Ace
this is a dumb *** thread. look at the results for any national tournament in the US and it will be nothing but high/top tier.

that's not up for debate. if a mid tier "matches your playstyle", you have a crappy playstyle.

Top Bottom