• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Canada [Jul 26, 2014] B.C. Brawl Monthlies - Back in business, now featuring Smash 64! (Burnaby, BC)

Captain L

Smash Champion
the most beneficial investment to stream quality we can make at this point would be a better microphone. I found an ethernet cable so I'm assuming the connection will be much better next time.

After that, our next most beneficial investment would probably be upgrading to xsplit pro, but since that has a monthly cost attached to it I don't think it's worth it at this point in BC brawl.
I suppose a new capture card would help, but after the basic dazzle I have they easily push $200+

SKidd

Smash Master
the most beneficial investment to stream quality we can make at this point would be a better microphone. I found an ethernet cable so I'm assuming the connection will be much better next time.

After that, our next most beneficial investment would probably be upgrading to xsplit pro, but since that has a monthly cost attached to it I don't think it's worth it at this point in BC brawl.
I suppose a new capture card would help, but after the basic dazzle I have they easily push $200+
wow no comment on sollux disappoint

di2appoiint

T-block

B2B TST
DeLux, I question the premise that "hitboxes are how the score is altered in the game we play". That assertion and the following logic implies that the goal of the game is to force the opponent's model into hitboxes, which is not strictly accurate. The goal of the game is to remove the opponent's stocks, and forcing hitboxes onto the opponent is merely a means towards that end. When a hazard deals damage to a player, it does indeed alter the scoreboard because it is universally accepted that a player with more damage is generally closer to losing his stock. However, this is NOT the only way in which a stage can alter the scoreboard.

It is true that we can make a clear distinction between the influence of the Smashville platform and the influence of Halberd's hazards. I argue that we must also make this distinction between the influence of the Smashville platform and the influence of Yoshi's Island's Support Ghosts. They can save stocks that are otherwise sure to be lost. They can place players in bad positions they would not otherwise be in (lifting a Falco up-b, or lifting a Marth just as he uses up-b). They can even take stocks of certain characters. If we do not limit our evaluation to influences involving hitboxes, it is clear that this is a form of player vs. computer interaction. When a stock is saved, the stage is "interacting with a players hurtbox which happens independent of an opponent's hitbox and [...] alters the score in the win/loss criteria". The Support Ghosts "exist independently as their own entity". All of the things you said about stage hitboxes apply to the Support Ghosts as well, except that their influence is not exerted through a hitbox. Nonetheless, that influence cannot be denied. And whether they will appear is random on top of all that. The stage is certainly no more fit than Halberd for determining the more skilled player.

In other words, your criteria are fundamentally flawed, because it addresses only a subset of the possible avenues of significant stage-induced sway.

Captain L

Smash Champion
I don't even know what to look for in a microphone

Also should point out that if delfino is banned I'll have no choice but to retire jigglypuff forever
#savedelfino

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299

I can't seem to find any microphones because they all seem to be connected to headphones unless that's what you like. I do have this myself: http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/logitech-surround-sound-gaming-headset-g35/10124691.aspx which I reduced to $60 but I'd rather not have others wear my peripherals.

I did find one gaming capture device: http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX42322 which can be price matched to $152 after shipping and taxes but it's still very pricey. I just blew a whole ton of money today and I have a potential large car maintenance bill on Saturday otherwise I'd help out :(

SKidd

Smash Master
I will be taking a brief hiatus from smashboards on the premise that I'm under duress from Yakal.

edit: we've resolved our issues (hopefully)

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
DeLux, I question the premise that "hitboxes are how the score is altered in the game we play". That assertion and the following logic implies that the goal of the game is to force the opponent's model into hitboxes, which is not strictly accurate. The goal of the game is to remove the opponent's stocks, and forcing hitboxes onto the opponent is merely a means towards that end. When a hazard deals damage to a player, it does indeed alter the scoreboard because it is universally accepted that a player with more damage is generally closer to losing his stock. However, this is NOT the only way in which a stage can alter the scoreboard.
Given that the win/loss criteria by definition has a percent factor, percent does alter the score. Obviously the other way a hazard can affect is by removing stocks, which would be intrusive in the same manner. So the distinction you're trying to make with that isn't meaningful since it applies anyways.

It is true that we can make a clear distinction between the influence of the Smashville platform and the influence of Halberd's hazards. I argue that we must also make this distinction between the influence of the Smashville platform and the influence of Yoshi's Island's Support Ghosts. They can save stocks that are otherwise sure to be lost. They can place players in bad positions they would not otherwise be in (lifting a Falco up-b, or lifting a Marth just as he uses up-b). They can even take stocks of certain characters. If we do not limit our evaluation to influences involving hitboxes, it is clear that this is a form of player vs. computer interaction. When a stock is saved, the stage is "interacting with a players hurtbox which happens independent of an opponent's hitbox and [...] alters the score in the win/loss criteria". The Support Ghosts "exist independently as their own entity". All of the things you said about stage hitboxes apply to the Support Ghosts as well, except that their influence is not exerted through a hitbox. Nonetheless, that influence cannot be denied. And whether they will appear is random on top of all that. The stage is certainly no more fit than Halberd for determining the more skilled player.
If we look at it as the definition of the premise I'd ask you this question:
Does the support ghost actually alter the score?
Let's look at this literally:
What is the person's stock/percent count prior to touching the support ghost? Hypothetically, it's X total
What is the person's stock/percent count prior after touching the support ghost? Hypothetically, it's still the exact same total
So from a literal standpoint there's an argument to be made that the ghost literally does not alter the score.

From a hypothetical "well he SHOULD have died" a couple things:
Saying one SHOULD have done anything again leads to arbitrary discussions about what should/shouldn't have happened. What if the opponent hit them while recovering to give them their jump back etc.
Second: saying the support ghost always functions in that manner would not necessarily be correct. For example, when the game is going to time, there is a specific period of time where the support ghosts function would be negligible in the context of the game going to time since the opponent couldn't get to the blast zone in an allotted time anyways.

So realistically it's literally justifiable as such, but I would probably agree with you that it defeats the spirit of the rulesset. Alternatively, I'd just concede we could just ban the stage and insert PS2 in its place and remove YIB and Frigate Orpheon (since Frigate also operates on similar questionable grounds) for a functional 9 stage list. More people like YIB rather than PS2 so I don't mind it personally. You could even just axe YIB for that reason and then axe another stage to operate on a functional 7 stages, etc. But that decision is up to you guys as a scene. I just thought I'd offer you both lines of thought on the matter since it's not the first time I've seen it. It's a gray area either way but it can be accounted for or discounted depending on how literal you want to be :p

Captain L

Smash Champion
if we're talking about legalizing stages that are literally in a gray area, I think the clear answer is to legalize picto
#monochrome

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
I like Luigi's Mansion and Skyworld if MK is banned imo :p

I also grew up having people camp me to the end of time so I'm abnormal I think

Captain L

Smash Champion
so many choices for microphones :O

that one looks the most like one which would be used for legitimate commentators, but of course it's also really expensive. Realistically almost anything would be better than the microphone on the webcam we use right now, but also go big or go home right?

Also next tourney if we set up the stream computer where Jake's laptop was last time, if dawson brings his dazzle and splitter cords we could probably have a secondary stream TV as well. That way if ever two important sets have to be played out at roughly the same time, at least the second set can get a bit of spotlight as well.

Also the 4th scene went basically unused so that's what I'm thinking for it

who is down for stronghold tomorrow? I can make it for 5:00 potentially

StarWaffle

Smash Lord
I'd pitch in to help buy THAT mic. It just looks so cool.

It looks like they go for ~$100 online. There's one place selling em' for $35 with a minimum order of 15 .-.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
If enough people come, I guess I can go tomorrow afternoon since I'm finally done with my exams! I just have to deal with a tuneup at the Honda place... hope I don't go bankrupt! I want to learn/improve in Melee too though.

I think one stream is enough since our viewing audience is small.

SKidd

Smash Master
why is it odd you have a dazzle setup

also what lvl are you in maple story kevin

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
I'm level 200... as of 2 years, 11 months ago... I was like the third or fourth player in Vancouver to reach 200, haha. It could have been sooner but I quit for like a year.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
I've been playing Smash Bros. for a long time but I have probably spent 5 times more time on MS... I'd stay away from that game if I were you. :(

I also have many other characters ranging from 12X-17X...

My time while playing that game was one of the worst in my life, offline. I was very introverted, took meds for depression, and relied on that game just to feel better about myself. By the time I went to university, I was more confident but still relied on the game to escape reality. Glad to say I'm the complete opposite today. :)

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Lol, I'm just saying you should stay away from that game. But yeah, nothing going on tomorrow?

Captain L

Smash Champion
I would need to know if there's anything going on tomorrow before I go to bed since I get up at 6:15 for work tomorrow and I'd intend to come to smash straight from work

edit: it's not happening tomorrow

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
It's not always a bad thing but personally I'm just happier that I can better interact with others compared to before when I was really afraid to approach others and just rushed home to be in my comfort zone. I am more introverted at work sometimes because I am afraid of talking to my superiors which I make up for by greatly exceeding my work quota and making a lot of bonus from it. :)

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Oh I see. Idk I think there's a distinct difference between that and introversion. Like I am quite introverted but I am not scared of talking to anyone, I just don't like socializing/talking a whole lot.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
I definitely prefer socializing and talking over being alone. The change was really difficult because I used to be obese and having people stare at you is awful which ruins self-esteem. I was forced to interact with others at work and that's what really started changing me.

Irisz

The Wanderer
NNID
QnIrisZ
3DS FC
4871-4459-0233
I definitely prefer socializing and talking over being alone. The change was really difficult because I used to be obese and having people stare at you is awful which ruins self-esteem. I was forced to interact with others at work and that's what really started changing me.
I feel like that at my current school - being the only asian in here >.<

Alphicans

Smash Hero
I couldn't imagine you being obese.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Sigh... that feeling you get when the Zeldas care more about and actually notice the results of somebody who placed last over my own result last monthly >_>

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Ahh you didn't have to but I appreciate the thought. :) The Zelda boards are just really dead and it is why I used her last tournament. I admit I got jealous because I think I tried pretty hard and did decently but it didn't do anything for the forum but then somebody else comes and the boards suddenly get all this activity...

Off to work though. Bye!

Playing Peach forever though.

Top Bottom