• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Canada [Jul 26, 2014] B.C. Brawl Monthlies - Back in business, now featuring Smash 64! (Burnaby, BC)

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Well, we could all make the effort to move from here to Facebook. It's not something a single person can do... it needs to be a group thing.

Anyway, time to avoid this thread again.

traffic.

Smash Journeyman
In the spirit of keeping the brackets competitive, having more teams (even if half of them are noobin throwaways) means more cash for the winners, more diversity in the matchups (more matchups period), and the potential for more upsets. insinuating that having noobins participate makes a bracket less competitive is both elitist and insulting. while i agree that learning to play doubles may not be most appropriate during bracket, there's no reason that the noobins shouldn't participate, especially when it means that people who normally wouldn't sign up do. if i'm paying to be there, i'll play with whoever i want, and i usually pay for more than just myself so that more people will come to these events. quite frankly you're not in a position to demand qualifiers for events that are struggling to fill seats to begin with. i expect that for every noobin i convince to show up that it's one more round that gets played in bracket, regardless of their skill level.

tl;dr version: deciding who is good enough to play with you is rotten, the teams with experience and synergy together will win, and that's how it's always been.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
I'm just saying it sucks to lose ALL the time. People need motivation and being ignored kind of sucks. Teaming with a better player helps you feel more part of the community and makes newer players think that they're not just another free player. The fact that doubles partners are seldom fixed just tells me that it is not really taken seriously. Since random doubles side event (or any side event for that matter) will never happen for eternity due to Project M's existence, what can we do?

When has any top player in BC EVER asked me for a friendly? I count zero. Now think about the newer players that stand even less of a chance of playing with a better player?

I am a horrible competitive player. I see/play games from a different viewpoint. I don't care about my doubles partner anymore (not that I ever did). I play Peach.

traffic.

Smash Journeyman
In retrospect and after a discussion, I regret being in the mood I was in when I posted that. I understand that Landon does not have that kind of an attitude, and I was reacting poorly to what he actually meant by maintaining competition and not sacrificing the number of competitive teams in the sake of infusing noobins into the partnerships. I did not mean for it to seem like Landon was trying to exclude anyone, I am simply passionate about growing the community and including new players, because otherwise the competition will stay the same very few people and as much as that level of rivalry is important, so to is creating an environment where people learn just how intense competitive play is. Losing is a very important part to any game, and especially near the beginning of a career. The experience and humility gained is crucial to garnering the motivation and inspiration to get better at the game. While it might suck to have an army of noobins to fight through to get to those harder matches, it's important to understand that as a community we provide a wide array of talents and skill levels, and it is not only to all of our benefits to learn from each other and grow, but our responsibility to each other not to let that fall apart. The more of us there are, the better we can all be.

breez

Smash Ace
f
In the spirit of keeping the brackets competitive, having more teams (even if half of them are noobin throwaways) means more cash for the winners, more diversity in the matchups (more matchups period), and the potential for more upsets. insinuating that having noobins participate makes a bracket less competitive is both elitist and insulting. while i agree that learning to play doubles may not be most appropriate during bracket, there's no reason that the noobins shouldn't participate, especially when it means that people who normally wouldn't sign up do. if i'm paying to be there, i'll play with whoever i want, and i usually pay for more than just myself so that more people will come to these events. quite frankly you're not in a position to demand qualifiers for events that are struggling to fill seats to begin with. i expect that for every noobin i convince to show up that it's one more round that gets played in bracket, regardless of their skill level.

tl;dr version: deciding who is good enough to play with you is rotten, the teams with experience and synergy together will win, and that's how it's always been.
You and Kevin both dont play brawl competitively. Just because its elitist and insulting doesnt make it and less true. It does make it less competitive. So im inclined to say; so ****ing what?

Personally im inspired by great players. You know what feels great? Working your ass off for months and then getting to sit down with the big boys. This isnt a ****ing charity and the competitive scene is not about handing out feel goods.

If people dont want to play because they dont want to lose, or lose as badly; then they are a scrub.

The bias is pretty crazy. Have you ever thought about the fact that top players who have actually put in the time and effort dont enjoy sandbagging half the matches? Play friendlies or go to more smashfests if you want to play more lightheartedly. Or, you know, practice and get better so you can throw down instead of being pitied.

I know this is not everyones mentality, and if competitive brawl is not getting huge attendence then its the perogative of the players to keep playing or not. If you dont enjoy competitive gaming - thats fine;its not for everyone. Everyone can afford the entry fee. If you view it as "losing" 10 bucks instead of having a wicked day with a bunch of gamers, then youre doing it wrong.

breez

Smash Ace
Typing this on a phone is ****ing excruciating. Haha. Kevin, how many times have you asked a top player to play and be declined? Not that I couldnt formulate a good argument if it has happened.

Most players in BC are really nice. With the exception of myself :p they are always down to give tips and advice and to encourage noobins. But I know they when top players are at a tournement, they are very focused and would rather not have anything they percieve as distractions.

Leave expectations at the door. When at events, enjoy the time there, and not what happens. Practice sometimes if you want to place better. Every one of us (myself included) can benefit from this advice ;)

breez

Smash Ace
In retrospect and after a discussion, I regret being in the mood I was in when I posted that. I understand that Landon does not have that kind of an attitude, and I was reacting poorly to what he actually meant by maintaining competition and not sacrificing the number of competitive teams in the sake of infusing noobins into the partnerships. I did not mean for it to seem like Landon was trying to exclude anyone, I am simply passionate about growing the community and including new players, because otherwise the competition will stay the same very few people and as much as that level of rivalry is important, so to is creating an environment where people learn just how intense competitive play is. Losing is a very important part to any game, and especially near the beginning of a career. The experience and humility gained is crucial to garnering the motivation and inspiration to get better at the game. While it might suck to have an army of noobins to fight through to get to those harder matches, it's important to understand that as a community we provide a wide array of talents and skill levels, and it is not only to all of our benefits to learn from each other and grow, but our responsibility to each other not to let that fall apart. The more of us there are, the better we can all be.
Snap, haha.

Agreed. A competive environment and noobins playing competitively are certainly not mutually exclusive. If anything, noobins should be the most hype, as they are exposed to things they didnt know existed. I want competitive gaming to grow as much as possible - and I definitely want the scene to be open and inviting to everyone; but not at the cost of forgoing the environment which defines the actual "competition".

Now come downstairs and practice so we can ruin peoples days and distribute salt to the masses in P:M!

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
I used to ask but I'm always told sorry I'm busy with this or that. The better players play each other outside of tournament and MM leaving little time for the newer players. I just gave up and now my respect goes to the only two people who consistently want to play with me and not the other way around. I may not have the competitive spirit but I pretty sure I can hold my own in competition. But yeah I suggest somebody else take time with the new players because I don't want to deal with that this Saturday (ie. not sure if it's worth attending). I PM'd some people on AiB to see if they want to come this Saturday but now I realize it was probably a waste of time. I actually feel pretty lonely during monthlies and I definitely don't want new players feeling the same.

Remember my first tournament? That's what happens when nobody cares.

I am probably attending for the wrong reasons.

| Big D |

Smash Master
Landon I'll expose you either at the tourney or some time after, don't worry.

Shout outs to Breez for saying the things that aren't easy to say, but needed to be said.

Captain L

Smash Champion
to be fair on tournament days I basically do no friendlies because I tend to be busy with stream, and jake tends to be busy with brackets. I remember playing friendlies with a couple new players last time, and like 4 games with Ben, but honestly I play like no friendlies over the course of a day. It's not that I consider certain players not worth my time and only want to friendly against other top players, it's that I really am busy doing other stuff. Realistically there should be a dedicated stream guy who is just at the computer the entire day and doesn't enter, but I'm definitely not going to give up playing the game I love to be that guy. I have not done singles friendlies with Dawson or Jake at like any tournaments within recent memory.

I should point out that we tend to do lots of doubles friendlies at tournies so that more people can join in at a time.

traffic.

Smash Journeyman
Again, I have never been disappointed with the involvement of everyone at the events I've been to, and I completely agree with the things Ben brought up both here and in our discussion about it while playing PM this morning. I do not hold any johns towards anyone in the community and again apologize for what may come across as accusations of poor sportsmanship. I am not like that, and anyone who knows me knows that. I was a little riled up, and responded rashly. D:

Captain L

Smash Champion
no hard feelings man, I was a little rattled when I saw your post but it's all fine now

Irisz

The Wanderer
NNID
QnIrisZ
3DS FC
4871-4459-0233
I'm just saying it sucks to lose ALL the time. People need motivation and being ignored kind of sucks.

When has any top player in BC EVER asked me for a friendly? I count zero. Now think about the newer players that stand even less of a chance of playing with a better player?
I lose all the time and I don't care - I play for fun. If people aren't enjoying the scene, it'd then be best to stay out of it right? Just stick to playing with friends and stuff

Not only that, but even Landon has asked me (being much worse then you) to play his Pika. Was ages ago, but idc - still makes me warm and fuzzy inside c: (This kinda stuff is great for noobies)

In my eyes - I'm still a noob. Even though I've known you guys for a year + or so, I still suck. But I love learning. Coming out from freaking Chilliwack, I hope I display it well. I know I lose, but that's not the point. I just come out to play - and if I win money, then woot ^-^

Kantrip

Kantplay
Kevin, who is a "top player" in BC? Only the top 3? You always say things about the "top players" and I feel completely shunned because I

A) Wasn't going to enter doubles last monthly, but then Jake said Mike needed a partner so I changed my mind and teamed with him so a new player could experience. We took a game off Jake and Ben and had really close games all around, took 3rd, and had a ton of fun!
B) I definitely asked you for friendlies last monthly. In fact, I asked a lot of people for friendlies. Some players have constant streams of tourney matches because they make it to the end of the bracket, but I still see them trying to play with as many people as they can.

I feel like your view is jaded, and you select only the people you want to use to criticize our community in your examples, and your negative attitude is no better for promoting a growing scene than whatever problems you think we have as a community. I respect you, and I want to see you come to more tourneys, but I don't want to see your negative attitude every time I come to the thread. Sorry bro.

Captain L

Smash Champion
On a lighter note the PR image is in the works, with order still to be determined of course. I think you will all be pleased by the style of image, and if you do well this saturday I'm sure you'll be pleased with the content as well!

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
I forgot about Landon's post when I read Ty's first post this morning, so I concluded that it was directed at me for saying that some people take doubles seriously. I hate my life. -.-

For the record, I think it's really cool that so many people are concerned about what the experience of a tournament is like for new players, but this practice of trying to place blame where it isn't warranted or deserved needs to stop. This community has more than its share of trolling, but when it comes to new players, I think the community is pretty good for being inclusive, and I can't think of anybody who can reasonably accused of being exclusive. Some players are just more inclined to stay than others based on how they see the game, and I honestly think the reduced Singles fee will make a difference by making the events more accessible.

Irisz

The Wanderer
NNID
QnIrisZ
3DS FC
4871-4459-0233
and I honestly think the reduced Singles fee will make a difference by making the events more accessible.
Man, if I had that when I first jumped in, I would have sprinted in ages ago >.>
(Jkz, would have joined you guys anyways <3)

Just wanna confirm that there's something this Saturday right?

Captain L

Smash Champion
yeah this saturday is super happening, I'll be streaming it again, hopefully better this time too!

| Big D |

Smash Master
We would not have been able to see 36:04 without player cam.

As you can see it's already at it's max height, so having things on the side won't take away from anything.

Captain L

Smash Champion
oddly enough I've been playing around with new layouts which uses a fullscreen game cam for the main gameplay. The reason I didn't use it before is because like Dawson said, it's at max height already so there's no actual loss of footage area, and I just wanted to fill up background space with something. This time however I have a fancy background image for all transitions of the stream.

http://www.twitch.tv/captainlpika

I'm fiddling around right now with some stuff, check it out!

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Well sorry if nobody can relate to me. Sorry that I'm sick of being the one to approach people all the time.

By all means, somebody spend half the day playing new players. New players have actually quit because of the exclusivity (Josh for example) and the disrespect from some of us. But yeah, it must be my imagination. None of this negativity could possibly exist and it's just me looking for attention, like I always do. It's not right to reject people if they don't have the correct mindset. It's a community before competition but I guess we're at a point where everybody is satisfied with the current state of everything so it's just a side dish.

Do you guys mean to think that people like the players from Kelowna deserve to be rejected because they don't have the proper mindset. Absolutely not.

Sorry if you like my negativity, but I refuse to pretend everything is fine when there are problems. I'd imagine things would be just fine when you all you need to worry about is show up. Also getting players like Jason, -H-, and NeeBee didn't happen because they randomly came to a tournament. Maybe you guys don't realize this but it's a very difficult process to find and keep players. Most of you guys don't try to recruit but if you guys tried, maybe you'd change your tune. Without Bryan helping, it just gets worse. I have found so many people in Vancouver. They express interest and I attempt to open communication as best as I can, as well as provide motivation, but they end up not showing despite saying they will come. It's not just a one, two, or even three time occurrence. I hate looking for new players and keeping in touch with them only to fail. I only do it because few have the presence of mind to realize things like this need to be done and actually decide to contribute. You know how many players I have found ended up staying? For all my hours of work, I only had success with two people. One faced complete disrespect and the other moved on to Melee. You think I like it? Well, you couldn't be more wrong. Let me admit, I hated cleaning up the venue and complaining about it. Did I enjoy picking lettuce, onions, and tomatoes off the floor and having coke spilled on my shoes? Did I jump with excitement at the thought of moving TVs to the venue and coughing up my own gas money for it?

As an aside, Private Enterprises and certain assurance firms like PwC (my dream is to be an intern here but it's a long shot) are encouraging the usage of IFRS (reporting standard) instead of PE GAAP/ASPE which is normally used in Canadian business. Accounting in Canada is harder than it ever has been (due to the need to learn two systems of accounting instead of just one) and I need to devote so much time to study (8 courses now that I completed Payroll), tend to my relatives (that thankfully finally left yesterday after slaving away for months), as well as work. I just want to send the message that I do make a sacrifice for this and it would be great to see others do the same.

Now, while I can't say it's something I ultimately enjoy, I make the sacrifice to play more games with players around my skill level to play with newer players because I care. I also have multiple people complain that I don't enter singles but then who's going to give two cents about the players that are eliminated immediately? Ask yourself this. Would you play eliminated players or are you going to watch games of the person you're playing next to better understand how they play? (Fortunately, my playstyle doesn't revolve around learning MUs or reading habits much.)

I would love to stop being negative but sorry that's not how I operate and it comes with the package. Nobody's perfect but maybe you see why I'm like this.

That was a pretty bad stream of consciousness right there...

SKidd

Smash Master
"I also have multiple people complain that I don't enter singles but then who's going to give two cents about the players that are eliminated immediately?"

I don't think it's fair for new players to expect this kind of high treatment, especially after being knocked out first thing.

Irisz

The Wanderer
NNID
QnIrisZ
3DS FC
4871-4459-0233
Big blob of streamy consciousness here
Well, that's just what I intending on doing Kev. I know how it is being a new player (I feel I still am one still). Naturally, the first bits of a new player is tough. Destroyed in my first tourney, looking awkwardly around at people I don't know, etc. Not to mention losing $70 to the boot for traveling. If I can help new players, I will. I'd just rather you don't be so hard on us about this .-.

Being a new player myself Kev, I actually expect these sorta things. This is a competitive scene, and noobies should expect unknown faces, expect to be destroyed, etc. Not saying that we should totally shut them off - that'd be cruel. I think we both know how that feels like.

Tell you what - if a new player comes in, I'll pour my heart into them. Make sure they stay, and get better. To enjoy the scene. If that makes you happy. If I lose them I owe you $100. I'll attempt to bring in my friends from Chilliwack and pay for them too.

Another note - I don't think you were forced to clean up btw Kev, I think you just did it on your own good x3

Captain L

Smash Champion
Kevin I think what you do at tournaments is extremely selfless and really admirable, and I really do think that it's just beyond the capacity of... most people, to give up their own enjoyment at an event, just to ensure that other people can enjoy themselves.

I think something you're going to have to accept is that the main reason most people go to tournaments is to have fun themselves, and it takes a really special kind of person to forgo that and actively seek to make the day of someone else. ESPECIALLY considering the fact that most of us are extremely competitive people for whom that mentality is even further against the grain.

So basically what it comes down to is that we are all average people who want to go and enjoy ourselves, but you go against the typical mindset and try to make sure everyone else enjoys themselves. I kinda didn't realize the amount of effort you put into this and how little you are getting back, and I really respect what you do. It's just really asking people to go against what their default response is to ask them to try to do the same.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Actually the people left and Sue wouldn't allow the Subway trash to be left on the carpet. Also, new players need special treatment to give them that push to stay with us.

Having a ton of bad things happen to me, you'd think I'd be gone? Well one person always motivated me, and always listened to the problems I was having in this community and supported me. I don't want people to have to deal what I had to. I nearly gave up after the trolling about Zelda that I got. "Oh, Zelda's so broken, why are you losing with her?" And people were annoyed about me calling Zelda bad... that's why.

I say what I'm thinking. I'd be lying if I said I didn't want more people to contribute. Contrary to belief, I don't really hide stuff all the time.

I know what I'm asking is a long shot but it is what I'm thinking and I am just being honest... Wait until you're a parent. You'll be forced to make these sacrifices all the time.

Irisz

The Wanderer
NNID
QnIrisZ
3DS FC
4871-4459-0233
Actually the people left and Sue wouldn't allow the Subway trash to be left on the carpet. Also, new players need special treatment to give them that push to stay with us.

Having a ton of bad things happen to me, you'd think I'd be gone? Well one person always motivated me, and always listened to the problems I was having in this community and supported me. I don't want people to have to deal what I had to. I nearly gave up after the trolling about Zelda that I got. "Oh, Zelda's so broken, why are you losing with her?" And people were annoyed about me calling Zelda bad... that's why.

I say what I'm thinking. I'd be lying if I said I didn't want more people to contribute. Contrary to belief, I don't really hide stuff all the time.

I know what I'm asking is a long shot but it is what I'm thinking and I am just being honest... Wait until you're a parent. You'll be forced to make these sacrifices all the time.
Ok, about the trash. That's understandable, but it's the past right? No need to bring it up again. Although some players need that push, I feel that if they really wanted to stay, they would. I can see quite often "Oh, I just went to it to see what it was like. I'm probably not gonna go back to it"

Again, many things may have happened in the past - but that's the past Kev! I hope you get over it; I know it sucks and that you don't want others to experience it, and I'll try to make sure of that. I feel that you need to step over it yourself .-.
On a side note, I have absolutely nobody to support me while I'm playing. I've trained myself against CPU's since the day I opened SSBB.
As for the last bit of what you typed, I don't understand

Last time I checked, this was a thing for SSBB though, not parenting >.<

Not saying that I don't give a ** about new players; I'll get any that we can. It's just hard to see that you're shoving this down our throats S:

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Eh I find it difficult to forget the bad things people do to me. I'm not really expressing anger about it but I'm giving examples to explain how I'm feeling and why I think a certain way. The past shapes my present and future.

I think I was supported once by -H- and that was it. It was a pretty nice feeling and still lost though it was close. At least you train on CPUs. I practised Sheik's dacus for 30mins and I don't plan on using her. I don't really practise Peach anymore.

This is a social thread. I'm just foreshadowing aspects of parenthood. I almost feel like one given my parents are divorced and I'm 10 years older than my sister. I do things most older siblings leave to their parents.

I apologize for this long... anecdote but you guys are used to it and my personality. I complain, whine, and annoy all the time. I put emotions over logic and speaking of logic, where is Arcansi?

Irisz

The Wanderer
NNID
QnIrisZ
3DS FC
4871-4459-0233
We all try playing other characters for like 30 mins Kev, you're no different. Not many people know I used to main Lucas ;o
And my parents are divorced as well, and my brother is 17 and still needs to be hand fed and pushed in the shower. Need I say more?

Personally, I never knew this side of you. I just knew you loved noobs C:

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Haha, I'm usually a no-nonsense guy but this community occasionally brings out the kid in me.

I mained Sheik and Zelda before I ever touched Peach. Why wouldn't you main a character that can fly and that beats people by using the same move over and over (Crown Smack).

Top Bottom