• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Canada [Jul 26, 2014] B.C. Brawl Monthlies - Back in business, now featuring Smash 64! (Burnaby, BC)

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
You should switch to Peach. You get a real sense of accomplishment when you win with her. She's takes a lot of work (and that's only to keep up with the other characters) but that makes victories all the sweeter. Bad thing is you're weak to 50% of BC and she only has a good matchup against Link...

Float confuses people and her Crown Smack makes an annoying sound and is even more annoying in game :) How did Peach's fair kill me... it's been staled so badly!? Newbies all hate my Peach though but that Wolf player asked for a handshake afterwards. Really nice sportsmanship on his part.

Oh here's a little story. My sister knows I love Peach and am obsessed with her. She bought me a peach scented wallflower from Bath & Body Works, haha. Smells really nice. Then she found a bunch of Brawl Peach vids to watch with me. Cute :)

This was one of them: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0rS4jYyj0k

Irisz

The Wanderer
NNID
QnIrisZ
3DS FC
4871-4459-0233
@ Kev - Maining Link is a hella accomplishment. You put in the most effort only to lose. :D
@ Neebz - I don't even know either. I just find that tunic so sexy
More of the fact that I feel I can do ok with such a low-tier guy though

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
I know the feeling. Link > Zelda. I have half a mind to play Zelda next tournament because the Zelda boards need activity :(

Asa

Smash Hero
Well I suppose but it seems partnerships are very inconsistent. Let's face it... nobody is going to partner with newer players even for friendlies. Heck our veteran players don't even play ME and I consider myself a good enough player to give you guys trouble and even possibly win a game. I also think I can give MK players a scare even though the matchup is -3. I believe growth and retention is more important that some prize money especially now that singles pot has been significantly cut. Also, let's face it... Pikachu vs. Ice Climbers is far from epic. Anything Pikachu can do, Peach can do better :peach:<3

Now leading off from that to what I actually wanted to say... I think this community may be better off continuing this thread on Facebook and maybe Twitter. It just seems more accessible to potential newcomers and it's on a platform that more people use (save me, haha). Twitter can inform all followers about upcoming events which is good for people who don't remember to check this thread frequently or can't be bothered although the trouble with this is actually getting everybody to follow Twitter. Thoughts?
k...
1. Doubles is fun as ****, any experiences you have about not being included in doubles probably stem from your shyness and inability to involve yourself at times. I doubt that ppl are excluding the newgens in doubles friendlies.. that's a prime time to get them the taste for doubles. Hell I remember getting Kantrip into doubles for the first time, he was like "nah i don't like doubles" then we teamed and did wario/diddy and bodied deap and it was hilarious.
2.Why are you even talking about peach/mk mu when everyones mk in bc (except jjs maybe) is terrible, you outskill them/gimmick them enough so that it's not really an issue to ***** about.
3. Pikachu vs IC isn't a matchup hat you will see in doubles LOL wtf
4. This being said, random partner doubles (pair high seeds with low seeds) is a fun event. I remember doing it at Revelations in california, and I had a blast. Teamed with Aggronizing and we did Ness/Lucario. That tournament was pretty large, though, so they also had a regular doubles event. I think you guys should try random partner doubles if the attendnace of the newgens in doubles increases. It'd be a good way to get them interested in doubles. If you're sad about lost money, stop ******** since you give your money away in singles to BigD and Firefly (and me when I go) anyway. Do it for the children, guys.
I'm just saying it sucks to lose ALL the time. People need motivation and being ignored kind of sucks. Teaming with a better player helps you feel more part of the community and makes newer players think that they're not just another free player. The fact that doubles partners are seldom fixed just tells me that it is not really taken seriously. Since random doubles side event (or any side event for that matter) will never happen for eternity due to Project M's existence, what can we do?

When has any top player in BC EVER asked me for a friendly? I count zero. Now think about the newer players that stand even less of a chance of playing with a better player?

I am a horrible competitive player. I see/play games from a different viewpoint. I don't care about my doubles partner anymore (not that I ever did). I play Peach.
Stop ******** about friendlies pls. Also I agree with you on the doubles.

Kevin I think what you do at tournaments is extremely selfless and really admirable, and I really do think that it's just beyond the capacity of... most people, to give up their own enjoyment at an event, just to ensure that other people can enjoy themselves.

I think something you're going to have to accept is that the main reason most people go to tournaments is to have fun themselves, and it takes a really special kind of person to forgo that and actively seek to make the day of someone else. ESPECIALLY considering the fact that most of us are extremely competitive people for whom that mentality is even further against the grain.

So basically what it comes down to is that we are all average people who want to go and enjoy ourselves, but you go against the typical mindset and try to make sure everyone else enjoys themselves. I kinda didn't realize the amount of effort you put into this and how little you are getting back, and I really respect what you do. It's just really asking people to go against what their default response is to ask them to try to do the same.
i luv u gooby

We don't need player/commentator cams during matches though do we? Idk, full-screen gameplay is better imo
personally i love seeing all of your pretty faces :3 keep the cam pls

Kevin, who is a "top player" in BC? Only the top 3? You always say things about the "top players" and I feel completely shunned because I

A) Wasn't going to enter doubles last monthly, but then Jake said Mike needed a partner so I changed my mind and teamed with him so a new player could experience. We took a game off Jake and Ben and had really close games all around, took 3rd, and had a ton of fun!
B) I definitely asked you for friendlies last monthly. In fact, I asked a lot of people for friendlies. Some players have constant streams of tourney matches because they make it to the end of the bracket, but I still see them trying to play with as many people as they can.

I feel like your view is jaded, and you select only the people you want to use to criticize our community in your examples, and your negative attitude is no better for promoting a growing scene than whatever problems you think we have as a community. I respect you, and I want to see you come to more tourneys, but I don't want to see your negative attitude every time I come to the thread. Sorry bro.
lov u tu kentrp

Irisz

The Wanderer
NNID
QnIrisZ
3DS FC
4871-4459-0233
I know the feeling. Link > Zelda. I have half a mind to play Zelda next tournament because the Zelda boards need activity :(
IMO Link </= Zelda
I'm planning to go all out Link this Saturday. I know I'll lose, but what the hey. I'll have fun :)

breez

Smash Ace
Actually the people left and Sue wouldn't allow the Subway trash to be left on the carpet. Also, new players need special treatment to give them that push to stay with us.

Having a ton of bad things happen to me, you'd think I'd be gone? Well one person always motivated me, and always listened to the problems I was having in this community and supported me. I don't want people to have to deal what I had to. I nearly gave up after the trolling about Zelda that I got. "Oh, Zelda's so broken, why are you losing with her?" And people were annoyed about me calling Zelda bad... that's why.

I say what I'm thinking. I'd be lying if I said I didn't want more people to contribute. Contrary to belief, I don't really hide stuff all the time.

I know what I'm asking is a long shot but it is what I'm thinking and I am just being honest... Wait until you're a parent. You'll be forced to make these sacrifices all the time.
I love you kev, but...

hay guyz, wat think about banning mk in BC? lol ohiben. also mk is cheat. lol rite?

Also not becoming a parent specifically because I don't want to be forced into sacrifice for others. It's that status quo - it's not written in stone. We only get one shot at life, and as you understanding, most people are undeserving *****. And i'll be damned if i'm going to clean up their mess or conform to their beliefs at the expense of my own happiness.

This brawl thread is meta as fark.

breez

Smash Ace
Why wouldn't you main a character that can fly and that beats people by using the same move over and over

RIGHT?!

I practised Sheik's dacus for 30mins and I don't plan on using her. I don't really practise Peach anymore.
Chiming in to say I put 50+ hours into learning clawgrip (edit:basics of claw-grip) and MK combos back in 2010 specifically to take Brians #1 spot, which I never ended up doing. 50 hours. By myself. Every day i'd come home from work (I worked for the olympics, minimum 12 hour days) and ignore my girlfriend and practice for at least an hour. Then i'd have my friends over on friday. and game until sunday.

I've got over 250,000 kills in brawl off the top of my head. Likely much, much more.
Eric Brown is over 10,000 hours in melee. That's ****ing virtuoso.

When I played starcraft I would ladder on my days off and play 40-60 games doing the exact same strategy. The *exact* same. Every game.

Counter-strike? Hah, people have 40 hour work weeks? My team practiced 80 hours/week. At least - all of us. Just to make Cal-M for ONE ****ing season. Barely respectible.

You see, noobin tears make me happier than cleaning up peoples tomatos.

Asa

Smash Hero
Teddy bair, don't forget

- iBomb
-Zair
-Stop jumping so high
-DI
-Mixup recovery

eyris pls :L

Irisz

The Wanderer
NNID
QnIrisZ
3DS FC
4871-4459-0233
Teddy bair, don't forget

- iBomb
-Zair
-Stop jumping so high
-DI
-Mixup recovery

eyris pls :L
"Mixup recovery" got me ... all he has is zair and up-b.
Well ... maybe bomb jump, but that's like never.
Everything else I'll work on though c:

And Link flies across the stage C:

breez

Smash Ace
k...
2.Why are you even talking about peach/mk mu when everyones mk in bc (except jjs maybe) is terrible, you outskill them/gimmick them enough so that it's not really an issue to ***** about.
>> Took Asa's money last time he housed with me

>> Beat jj out of last tourny in mk dittos in sept when I still played brawl primarily

psh, hater.

edit: inb4 johns

StarWaffle

Smash Lord
I think letting a list that other people made factor into who you main is a dumb idea. No matter where they place.
Just play the characters you like. Make your own damn list.

Also I'll buy anyone who comes to White Spot with me a milkshake.

The Iron Wolf

Smash Journeyman
All of this.

By the way, when we're speaking of top BC players who exactly are we referring to? I'd assume it's Dawson, Jake and Landon, two of whom usually seem occupied with facilitating the event - could be wrong here. That's a fraction of the attendees. I've seen Dawson play quite a few friendlies with newer players if I'm not mistaken either. I guess I'm still too fresh to really understand the point of discussion here, but perhaps I've missed out on this whole exclusivity thing?

I go to tourneys primarily with the intent to win; not for the money or anything else. It's really that simple, in my case. The fun and enjoyment comes along with that. It's on the player whether or not they want to continue and show up to some degree and the commitment they want to put into getting better at this game. I also don't mind friendlying anyone so don't be shy to ask next time I'm around. : )

Asa

Smash Hero
and kev, as for the whole moving to fb thing. while it is an option, i don't really see much of a point to it. Both are social groups that have activity. What benefits come from migrating to fb?

Top Bottom