• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Canada [Jul 26, 2014] B.C. Brawl Monthlies - Back in business, now featuring Smash 64! (Burnaby, BC)

The Iron Wolf

Smash Journeyman
Arcansi, stop being so free and learn the matchup. Watch a high level MK and then watch a decent level MK. Theorycraft all you want but I'd like to see you kick *** with the bat at a high level.

Who does BC really have as far as MK mains are concerned? Breez and Deap? Oh, damn folks, our metagame has now been monopolized by the MK's :yeahboi:

And lool Clouderz still plays? What is this witchcraft? I remember him very well from 08 being the first good MK when WiFi was all the hype with the seemingly bad attitude. Back then I recall him mentioning something about tourneys in UBC...

Asa

Smash Hero
****kkkasfksakfasf
LOL get *****

Good.

Let the **** flow through you..
legit post would read again

I don't usually screw up offstage

But when I do I prefer to fast fall my tjolts and then suicide at 170% and knock over a wii out of rage
legit memory would relive again

Someone needs to be Vancity Villains with me.
me :olimar: :troll: :troll: :troll: :troll: :troll: :troll:
2. Yeah, except MK wasn't punishable when I shielded his *almost anything* (without another read),
ftilt, glide atk, shuttle loop, dsmash, fair, dair can all be punished on shield.

Also, what's hard to learn about the character?
pretty much every character in brawl is easy to pick up

Olimar has to deal with the hardest resource in this game, pikmin. He also has to deal with offstage problems, having low priority and low range on aerials.
lol olimars aerials have pretty legit range >_> except for like nair, but that has godlike priority so ya

it is, but too gay, same diddy.
get over urself just **** him it's totally doable..

Asa

Smash Hero
also if clouerz comes back i'll fly up again LOL

last time i saw clouderz was on the aib chat a month ago, he talked **** then left

Asa

Smash Hero
HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmm ok guys here me out...

i said i wanna come back to bc this summer. i was thinking.... i come to bc a week or so before impulse, chill with you guys (possible tourney?), then greyhound it/fly to impulse. Also brick is coming to bc around th at time so it'd be hype if you guys could meet him.

Asa

Smash Hero
*****es in bikinis

you should come to impulse tho realtalk

ALSO IF I COME AROUDN MY BDAY (JUNE 20th) WE SO GOTTA HAVE AN ASA BDAY TOURNEY!!

SinisterB

Smash Champion
Slippi.gg
SINS#333
NNID
shadymaiden
For Trevor
derpa derp durrr

I'd be so down for carpool, would be hype imo.

Also sorta weird my bday is coming up soon & I was considering a tourney too LOL.. Doubt it though. But I'd show up for an asa tourney :reverse:

Arcansi

Smash Champion
ftilt, glide atk, shuttle loop, dsmash, fair, dair can all be punished on shield.
I'll take your word on ftilt, glide attack transitions into dsmash too fast if he does it correctly, loop goes into glide attack if I don't read it (THAT glide attack is easy to punish if he isnt spaced perfectly, because he has low momentum).

Not sure about spaced dsmash, I can see the first hit but not the second.

Fair//Dair only if he uses them badly.

pretty much every character in brawl is easy to pick up
MK is just easier. This is true though.

lol olimars aerials have pretty legit range >_> except for like nair, but that has godlike priority so ya
Your aerials get beaten by like 90% of high tier don't they.

Asa

Smash Hero
the main beef was that you said they had no range.. they have plenty of range, especially yellows which are disjointed.

and even if they don't have priority, that isn't a glaring problem.. you just don't go balls to the wall butting heads with other people recklessly..

Alphicans

Smash Hero
The thing about oli's moves is that since they don't have priority, none of the rules of priority apply to them at all, meaning they will never clank. That property makes punishing lingering/laggy hitboxes way easier because olimar can attack you without caring about hitting your hitbox since the pikmin go right through it. I guess you could say they have 0 priority or infinite priority :/.

SinisterB

Smash Champion
Slippi.gg
SINS#333
NNID
shadymaiden
Every character has a certain depth to them that people often seem to overlook. You may be able to grab better results with MK, but you aren't going to get anywhere in the long run if you don't explore the character and learn their technical aspects, options, ect ect. Every character is seemingly easy to pick up, but mastering them is another concept entirely.

Falco has a lot more to him than Lasers & Phantasms.

@Kantrip Enjoy my derpy Wolf holmes, you deserved to **** it. Happy birthday :reverse:

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
I think there's a lot to Peach that's difficult to master :) Can I even be bold to say she takes more time than many of her peers to learn?

Happy Birthday Trevor :D

T-block

B2B TST
guys, the concept of priority doesn't apply to aerials in general ._.

when was the last time you saw two aerials of "equal priority" meet and clank mid-air? it doesn't happen - the only thing that matters when two characters use aerials at around the same time is which attack hitbox connects with the opponent's hurtbox. if p1's attack connects with p2 before p2's attack connects with p1, then p1's aerial "beats" p2's. this can happen either because p1's aerial has more range, or comes out faster. if both aerials are tied to the respective character's hurtboxes, then it's likely that both hitboxes will overlap the other's hurtboxes on the same frame. this is a "trade".

in the end, a disjointed hitbox is simply a hitbox that extends beyond a character's hurtbox. that's it. "disjointed" doesn't imply some sort of higher priority value.

happy birthday trevor ^^

Arcansi

Smash Champion
Arcansi, stop being so free and learn the matchup. Watch a high level MK and then watch a decent level MK. Theorycraft all you want but I'd like to see you kick *** with the bat at a high level.
Give me a top ranking player in each character that I can play with whenever I want, online access, someone to point out obvious mistakes in my gameplay, and a couple weeks and I could probably do it.

Every character has a certain depth to them that people often seem to overlook. You may be able to grab better results with MK, but you aren't going to get anywhere in the long run if you don't explore the character and learn their technical aspects, options, ect ect. Every character is seemingly easy to pick up, but mastering them is another concept entirely.
First you build fundamentals with the character. This doesn't take very long as long as you don't just play games and think about stuff.

After this, you learn general gameplay. This isn't very hard, you can pretty much do the same as step 1 except with more in-depth.

Then you learn matchups. This is a lot of practice and less thinking until after 'sets' of games (however long it takes you to fully understand a fair amount of things about their char in relation to yours).

Then you learn smaller technicalities that had no extremely practical use in matchup//general gameplay.

This is both easy (relative to other games) and teaches you these technicalities//options that you think people glaze over.

We just don't note it because it's an accepted assumption that everyone knows/is aware they exist.

when was the last time you saw two aerials of "equal priority" meet and clank mid-air? it doesn't happen - the only thing that matters when two characters use aerials at around the same time is which attack hitbox connects with the opponent's hurtbox. if p1's attack connects with p2 before p2's attack connects with p1, then p1's aerial "beats" p2's. this can happen either because p1's aerial has more range, or comes out faster. if both aerials are tied to the respective character's hurtboxes, then it's likely that both hitboxes will overlap the other's hurtboxes on the same frame. this is a "trade".
Are you saying all aerials have transcendent priority? Also, how do aerials vs non-aerials interact? Will all my aerials on any character cancel out dins fire? How about falco usmash?

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
I could have sworn I've "cancelled" Olimar's up air with Peach's neutral air before...

T-block

B2B TST
most aerials will not clank. if you aerial din's fire, the hitboxes will nullify each other, but the aerial animation will go through.

www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=300629

educate yourselves.

that note at the end on olimar is interesting haha. i'm speaking generally - i'm afraid i don't play olimar enough to have the intuition to comment on the behaviour of olimar's aerials off the top of my head.

The Iron Wolf

Smash Journeyman
I'm sorry, I should've specified offline.

Also, like heck I'm going to regularly be able to practice with high level players on AiB.
Considering you're stranded on Vancouver Island, and all you have is WiFi, your best bet would be to practice online with a variety of players in a variety of matchups because your Pit would benefit a lot overall. You have a LOT to pick up with the character as it looks like you just started using him. AiB's your best bet and anyones best bet as a starting point.

You want offline? Move to SoCal or find the hotspot scenes in TX or NJ/NY. kk

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Ouch I think Arcansi's been using Pit for quite a while now. Definitely much, much older than my Peach is.

Don't you live near Caiden and Travis? Play with them or try (again) to play with some friends. Give them time and I'm sure they'll catch up to your skill level.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
guys, the concept of priority doesn't apply to aerials in general ._.

in the end, a disjointed hitbox is simply a hitbox that extends beyond a character's hurtbox. that's it. "disjointed" doesn't imply some sort of higher priority value.

happy birthday trevor ^^
This goes without saying but in the context of olimar's aerials it's approriate to talk about his lack of the same properties as any other aerial. Just call it priority.

Arcansi

Smash Champion
Considering you're stranded on Vancouver Island, and all you have is WiFi, your best bet would be to practice online with a variety of players in a variety of matchups because your Pit would benefit a lot overall. You have a LOT to pick up with the character as it looks like you just started using him. AiB's your best bet and anyones best bet as a starting point.

You want offline? Move to SoCal or find the hotspot scenes in TX or NJ/NY. kk
1. Eh, I've been playing pit since forever, just...on wifi.

The best thing to do on wifi with pit, (espicially when brawl just started) was to shoot arrows, roll & use smashes. Not only did this deny me good practice (i was too annoying to play, apparently) it also does NOT work offline.

That's why I am where I am now.

2. That's why it was hypothetical. I would definitely do so if I had the money + time.

Ouch I think Arcansi's been using Pit for quite a while now. Definitely much, much older than my Peach is.
I've been using pit since after I stopped falco, so probably somewhere between summer & november of the year brawl came out.

Don't you live near Caiden and Travis? Play with them or try (again) to play with some friends. Give them time and I'm sure they'll catch up to your skill level.
I gave them time. They stopped wanting to play.

I've talked to caiden but it's hard to work out unless I like go to his place.

EDIT: which would be weird unless my mom wanted to drive down to Campbell River, which she probably wouldn't.

Top Bottom