• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Canada [Jul 26, 2014] B.C. Brawl Monthlies - Back in business, now featuring Smash 64! (Burnaby, BC)

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
I live in the opposite side of Greater Vancouver, in Port Coquitlam (where the old venue is).

Captain L

Smash Champion
I'm down for Asian food~ Just not anytime in the next 2 and a half weeks cause I gotta do a fair amount of stuff for school

More importantly I want to know how many people who are actually coming to our tournaments would not come if mk was legal. Cause I know for sure that legalizing the bat means breez and his friends will make it to most of our monthlies.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
We are/were switching back and forth from Unity MK-banned and Unity MK-legal. Let's just stick to what we are used to... since MK was never officially banned in BC, why not just go back to what we used and have become accustomed to?

Also it saves us a lot of drama.

| Big D |

Smash Master
It doesn't save drama at all...

Unity + MK legal is dumb because of RC/Brinstar.

The CP system is broken by MK so either have a MK legal + a CP system that doesn't get broken by MK (Apex/Japan) or keep the CP system and get rid of MK.

StarWaffle

Smash Lord
I'll probably have to decide last minute if I wanna go to an mk legal tourney based on my mood that day D= 50/50 chance I'll go =D

ummm Also If you guys wanna smash on sunday, we can do it at my house. There was a korean BBQ just down the street but I think it changed into pho like a month ago .-.

SinisterB

Smash Champion
Slippi.gg
SINS#333
NNID
shadymaiden
obligatory 666th page post

not sure where i sit on the whole ruleset issue right now, but i'll probably be back for monthlies sooner than i thought

also food is awesome, i might be down sometime

:135:

StarWaffle

Smash Lord
We should go to Meat & Bread. I saw it on T.V last night and it looked yummy. Its somewhere in Vancouver.

Yes I watch the cooking channel.

Arcansi

Smash Champion
MK being legal brings nothing into our game in light of what it takse out.

So why should he be legal?
Obligatory never got responded too.

(Assume the people that would come//leave are neutral. (So if 5 extra would come, 5 would also leave)

It sounds like you're going full brony.

Never go full brony.

:005:
Lol

:fluttershy:

Captain L

Smash Champion
mk adds a very complex matchup to learn, and as far as our community goes he doesn't take anything away. Think about it, if ben can't use mk he'll use diddy, and it's not like we're missing out on those.

Arcansi, as much as it would be ideal to look at mk as a global issue, we're only talking about BC so generalized arguments don't work. Character diversity is an okay argument on a global scale, but within BC itself the argument doesn't hold at all.

| Big D |

Smash Master
Really it's MK and the CP system that bugs me.

Mk on neutrals is doable. But having to deal with him on CPs is anther story.

You could always do the EU and just make him banned on all CPs but that's kinda silly.

And just go through the Brawl bushido impact tourney thread to see how they feel about me.

SinisterB

Smash Champion
Slippi.gg
SINS#333
NNID
shadymaiden

Mk on neutrals is doable. But having to deal with him on CPs is anther story.

You could always do the EU and just make him banned on all CPs but that's kinda silly.

And just go through the Brawl bushido impact tourney thread to see how they feel about me.

Arcansi

Smash Champion
mk adds a very complex matchup to learn, and as far as our community goes he doesn't take anything away. Think about it, if ben can't use mk he'll use diddy, and it's not like we're missing out on those.
So, we just lose people?

Arcansi, as much as it would be ideal to look at mk as a global issue, we're only talking about BC so generalized arguments don't work. Character diversity is an okay argument on a global scale, but within BC itself the argument doesn't hold at all.
1. If we legalize him here, we promote him being legalized in other places. I hope you understand this concept, but if you don't I can explain it to you.

2. Sure, it may not lower the diversity of characters within BC, but it's going to lower the diversity of top placing characters within bc by a lot.

I'm probably never going to place in a tournament with MK legal without playing him. Me and many others, for many reasons.

My main problem is that legalizing MK is like banning everyone below high tier. (I mean, they have almost a 0% chance to place high at all...)

| Big D |

Smash Master
It's MK AND the CP sytem that I have a problem with.

I'm fine of we just have one.

And people below high tier don't get practically banned... MK has been legal for years and that is certainly not the case.

Captain L

Smash Champion
1. If we legalize him here, we promote him being legalized in other places. I hope you understand this concept, but if you don't I can explain it to you.
BC isn't even on the map as far as competitive brawl goes. When we hold phoenix events we always get outplaced by washington and alberta, both of which are barely recognized in the community. WA doesn't even have a brawl scene anymore really...

(not trying to be rude to alberta or washington but most people only ever talk about socal and new jersey when they're talking about top level play in NA)

What I'm saying is that legalizing mk here or banning him here won't make an impact on the community at all.

Most importantly though, I'm anti-ban anyways so even if banning him DOES promote banning him elsewhere, I wouldn't want that in the first place.

2. Sure, it may not lower the diversity of characters within BC, but it's going to lower the diversity of top placing characters within bc by a lot.
This is not true. I'm not trying to sound cocky, but with Jake and Drake both gone, the top spots are going to be taken by Game and Watch, Ice climbers, and Pikachu (alphabetical) at most monthlies in the forseeable future. Since I understand Rob probably won't be coming to mk legal tournaments, the only thing that could change is that the top three would become ICs MK Pika at worst.

Dawson and I have no mk problems. For me personally it's one of my most enjoyable matchups.

I'm probably never going to place in a tournament with MK legal without playing him. Me and many others, for many reasons.
But you're not coming to the locals that we're talking about so it doesn't matter. As far as other players in our community, the one who's character is most hurt by mk is Kevin, and he's in favour of mk-legal anyways.

My main problem is that legalizing MK is like banning everyone below high tier. (I mean, they have almost a 0% chance to place high at all...)
This isn't entirety true because characters like wolf and fox do better with mk legal. Peach rob and pit get a little screwed, but realistically all characters below high tier have other hard counters anyways. And one more thing, mk has exactly a 0% chance of placing high if he's banned ;D

SinisterB

Smash Champion
Slippi.gg
SINS#333
NNID
shadymaiden
Japanese ruleset is cool but not banning FD is pretty flaming

Top Bottom