• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Canada [Jul 26, 2014] B.C. Brawl Monthlies - Back in business, now featuring Smash 64! (Burnaby, BC)

The Iron Wolf

Smash Journeyman
What was your guys' most devastating loss? Doesn't have to be Brawl.
90% of my WiFi ladder matches. :yeahboi:

When something doesn't make sense, do you not question it? Do you just let it be? If so, how is that at all better//equal to questioning it?
Well, I guess not much of anything makes sense to you since you question things that don't require questioning, particularly in a casual setting and make an issue out of a non-issue 95% of the time I see you comment. Heard of Occum's Razor? These are simply the observations of someone who has just gotten to know you.

Arcansi

Smash Champion
Well, I guess not much of anything makes sense to you since you question things that don't require questioning, particularly in a casual setting and make an issue out of a non-issue 95% of the time I see you comment. Heard of Occum's Razor? These are simply the observations of someone who has just gotten to know you.
1. Nothing 'require's' questioning.

2. Isn't everything a non-issue until an issue is made out of it? E.G. If I tell you I just killed your whole family, there's no issue until you 'make one out of it'

3. I've heard of it. I've also assumed many things from many different perspectives, and pretty much been wrong the whole time. My line of thought//reasoning isn't close to the average enough to rely on it for what other people think.

:fluttershy:

The Iron Wolf

Smash Journeyman

2. Isn't everything a non-issue until an issue is made out of it? E.G. If I tell you I just killed your whole family, there's no issue until you 'make one out of it'

3. I've heard of it. I've also assumed many things from many different perspectives, and pretty much been wrong the whole time. My line of thought//reasoning isn't close to the average enough to rely on it for what other people think.

:fluttershy:
I'm not arguing semantics with you but I'll say this. I'm not aiming to look at the conversations in this forum from a deeply rooted philosophical perspective. I'm looking at this, in THIS setting, at face value or for what they are.

1) You've proven my point right there. You knew the intent of my comment. And I'd argue that there are many things in life that 'require' questioning.

2) That's a terrible example. So if you killed my family, that in itself isn't an issue UNLESS I make an issue of it? Need I enumerate the holes in your logic? Clearly you missed my point. I'm saying you simply argue for the sake of arguing. You're making simple issues/non-issues into complex ones with your wonky lines of reasoning.

3) Makes no sense; perhaps you could have used better wording, since I'm having trouble understanding what it is that you're trying to say. It sounds like you've heard of Occum's Razor but I wonder if you understand what it is?

Arcansi

Smash Champion
I'm not arguing semantics with you but I'll say this. I'm not aiming to look at the conversations in this forum from a deeply rooted philosophical perspective. I'm looking at this, in THIS setting, at face value or for what they are.
And how can you determine what they are better then anyone else? How is your determination somehow better then mine?

1) You've proven my point right there. You knew the intent of my comment. And I'd argue that there are many things in life that 'require' questioning.
Until you can prove that something can require questioning, the distinction is worthless.

And sure, things can require questioning, but only when a given goal in context is presented. There is no overall given goal in the context of this forum, so nothing requires questioning. (I can expand this to say life, too)

2) That's a terrible example. So if you killed my family, that in itself isn't an issue UNLESS I make an issue of it? Need I enumerate the holes in your logic?
Firstly, we both know nothing can be an issue if noone is against it. If in society it was okay for me to kill your family because they dishonored me, it would not be an issue if I did so.

Hence, something is only an issue once someone makes an issue of it, see? No action is automatically an issue. Even breaking the law isn't technically an issue if the Crown never decides to prosecute anyone or take any action.

Clearly Clearly you missed my point. I'm saying you simply argue for the sake of arguing. You're making simple issues/non-issues into complex ones with your wonky lines of reasoning.[/QUOTE]

What lines of my reasoning are wonky?

3) Makes no sense; perhaps you could have used better wording, since I'm having trouble understanding what it is that you're trying to say. It sounds like you've heard of Occum's Razor but I wonder if you understand what it is?
Basically, what I would usually see as simplest others do not.

Also, it's spelled occam.

| Big D |

Smash Master
Deap is winning the next tourney, knocking out Landon.

u gais suck

eric pranked jake

and sinister's ics are ballzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzs

The Iron Wolf

Smash Journeyman
And how can you determine what they are better then anyone else? How is your determination somehow better then mine?
Lol what? I said that you take everything in this forum way too seriously and feel the need to over-analyze pretty much everything that is being said. See what we did there? I made one remark about your habit and here we are having a lengthy discussion, essentially over nothing. You didn't need to defend yourself with some remark about the need to question everything. It's pretty clear that you'll simply debate your heart out for apparently no reason, thus proving my point. Or you're trolling to which I'd concede you do a pretty decent job of it.

Until you can prove that something can require questioning, the distinction is worthless.

And sure, things can require questioning, but only when a given goal in context is presented. There is no overall given goal in the context of this forum, so nothing requires questioning. (I can expand this to say life, too)
See, this is what I was hoping to avoid. You misinterpreted my usage of 'required'. When I initially stated that you question things that do not require questioning, I simply meant what I said - you feel the need to question or complicate simple matters or posts that don't mean or intend much of anything (i.e. my small comment that initiated this discussion). I wasn't stating nor implying a philosophically grounded premiss (which is what you took it to have meant) when I used the word 'required'. And I'm not talking about the general forum or it's purpose. I'm referring to specific posts that have been made here. And this forum has a purpose: It's for social, casual discussion among members of the scene. It's goal is to provide a platform for and is not limited to members of this community getting together and organizing and discussing future and past Smash events.

But on that note let's talk about whether things in life 'require' questioning. Of course they do. Human inquiry is the foundation of scientific and human progress. But I REALLY don't want to get into a discussion about that. Fact is you oughta know what I meant: Your posts are ample evidence to prove the point I'm making here: You over-complicate virtually all types of discussion. My simple statement was turned into a discussion.

Also, allow me do a little runback because I find this funny:

When something doesn't make sense, do you not question it? Do you just let it be? If so, how is that at all better//equal to questioning it?
To which I agreed in response whilst further clarifying that you question or derive conflict from petty issues that don't really require questioning. To which you replied..

But when something makes little to no sense to you, inquiry is required...no? Glaring contradiction my friend.

Firstly, we both know nothing can be an issue if noone is against it. If in society it was okay for me to kill your family because they dishonored me, it would not be an issue if I did so.

Hence, something is only an issue once someone makes an issue of it, see? No action is automatically an issue.
Now we're treading into the field of ethics and morality. I find these analogies ludicrous. You're essentially positing this inane idea that an event or problem is subject to the response it receives by a person or party. You believe that a problem may only be classified as such if WE make an issue out of it. You then proceed to employ false analogies in an attempt prove your point. The idea that you must kill one's family if they dishonor you, is, in my view, plain wrong and is an issue independent of how we would react. But allow me to provide a counter-example for you: If society legalized the murder of infants in order to reduce the population the population for whatever reason, would that not be an issue independent of what society thinks of it? To say otherwise would be idiotic.

Even breaking the law isn't technically an issue if the Crown never decides to prosecute anyone or take any action.
The murderer of Trayvon Martin is still roaming free, last I recalled. It would never be an issue if law officials decided to let it go? If hundreds of murders went unreported and nothing was done about them, would that not be an issue? REGARDLESS of what one might think? The counterexamples that can be provided are endless.

What lines of my reasoning are wonky?
Read above.

Basically, what I would usually see as simplest others do not.

Also, it's spelled occam.
Lol@me. I can't believe I never noticed that. My bad.

The definition you provided was wrong btw.

Asa

Smash Hero
so a bit of info on the new guys from langley that are coming

1. Yazzer (aka David) : mains marth
2. Evan: mains GW
3. Mackie: mains Falco

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Omg I want to Wifi these people! (And I don't even like Wifi!)

Watch out Mackie, I'll be going after ya :p

KillLock

Smash Lord
If Arcansi doesn't concede I'm really going to laugh at how mentality unstable he is. Probably going to have to block him, really sick of his childish little games.

Asa

Smash Hero
join my room kev

i guess we can play till he responds to me ;I

niceeeeeeeeee kev

Arcansi

Smash Champion
Lol what? I said that you take everything in this forum way too seriously and feel the need to over-analyze pretty much everything that is being said. See what we did there? I made one remark about your habit and here we are having a lengthy discussion, essentially over nothing. You didn't need to defend yourself with some remark about the need to question everything. It's pretty clear that you'll simply debate your heart out for apparently no reason, thus proving my point. Or you're trolling to which I'd concede you do a pretty decent job of it.
1.You said:
I'm looking at this, in THIS setting, at face value or for what they are.
When you said this, it was implied that I was not doing so or I was doing so wrongly.

How do you determine face value better then me?

2. I'm always going to defend myself if someone is saying something about me that I don't find true. I have a reason too. You said things about me that I didn't find true

See, this is what I was hoping to avoid. You misinterpreted my usage of 'required'. When I initially stated that you question things that do not require questioning, I simply meant what I said - you feel the need to question or complicate simple matters or posts that don't mean or intend much of anything (i.e. my small comment that initiated this discussion).
Did not your initial comment intend to say that I make issues out of non-issues? Does it not mean the same thing? If not, why would you post it?

I wasn't stating nor implying a philosophically grounded premiss (which is what you took it to have meant) when I used the word 'required'. And I'm not talking about the general forum or it's purpose. I'm referring to specific posts that have been made here. And this forum has a purpose: It's for social, casual discussion among members of the scene. It's goal is to provide a platform for and is not limited to members of this community getting together and organizing and discussing future and past Smash events.
1. I don't even know what you mean by philosophically grounded premiss. (Unless you mean the beginning of a philosophical argument, in which case it doesn't have to be meant to be used as such, and shouldn't have to be)

2. Yeah, I question things in posts. This is bad?

3. When you put and is not limited to in the description, that means it extends to everything, and should therefore be a place for discussions like these.

But on that note let's talk about whether things in life 'require' questioning. Of course they do. Human inquiry is the foundation of scientific and human progress. But I REALLY don't want to get into a discussion about that. Fact is you oughta know what I meant: Your posts are ample evidence to prove the point I'm making here: You over-complicate virtually all types of discussion. My simple statement was turned into a discussion.
Isn't every discussion started with a statement, likely more often then not simple?

Also, it only requires questioning if you want to have progress in your example, which is not always a given. But you don't wanna talk about that.

You seem to think over-complicating is taking something and looking into it, and I can't figure out why.

Could you explain?

But when something makes little to no sense to you, inquiry is required...no? Glaring contradiction my friend.
Basically, something requiring questioning is subjective, and we cannot assume anything subjective to be true for anyone until it is said or shown to be as such for them. You can't 100% know if I'm going to determine that a statement requires questioning until you tell it to me, and until then it doesn't require questioning.

That or it's a Pandora's statement.

Now we're treading into the field of ethics and morality. I find these analogies ludicrous. You're essentially positing this inane idea that an event or problem is subject to the response it receives by a person or party. You believe that a problem may only be classified as such if WE make an issue out of it. You then proceed to employ false analogies in an attempt prove your point. The idea that you must kill one's family if they dishonor you, is, in my view, plain wrong and is an issue independent of how we would react. But allow me to provide a counter-example for you: If society legalized the murder of infants in order to reduce the population the population for whatever reason, would that not be an issue independent of what society thinks of it? To say otherwise would be idiotic.
Your reading too much into an analogy.

Your reasoning is simply based on how you view things. So, to make it easier for you to understand, what about this.

Person A hits their child. Person Y hears of this.

In this scenario, is it an issue?

Also, your counterargument is only true given the current state of the world. Thing is, given no context it's essentially a Pandora's Box. And if you wanna go from this and say that your right, then sure you are. But it makes the distinction worthless, too.

(Didn't respond to the rest because I feel the above paragraph does so well enough.)

Lol@me. I can't believe I never noticed that. My bad.

The definition you provided was wrong btw.
I don't remember providing a definition for anything...

Oh, you all disregard what he has to say. Sorry I guess I'm still feeling my way around these parts :p
Please don't ignore me like the rest of them...

I want to be social too...do you know how it feels?

S'all good. It's because he disregards what everybody else says. :p
No I don't.... I've listened and tried to understand ever since I got here.

And most of you have just said f it and started to ignore me....

^ lol it's true to a certain extent

But Arcansi's cool.
It's not funny to me...

Thanks.

If Arcansi doesn't concede I'm really going to laugh at how mentality unstable he is. Probably going to have to block him, really sick of his childish little games.
1. I don't know how you can assume mental instability, or why you think it's cool to laugh at someone for something like that.

2. These aren't childish games. They're legitimate discussions.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
That was very fun! Thanks Bryan. And sure~

Argh Wifi! Couldn't do sooo many things!

Oh yeah I am going to LEARN the Falco matchup eventually >_>

SinisterB

Smash Champion
Slippi.gg
SINS#333
NNID
shadymaiden
gagachat will never attain the complex superiority of kpictopop

learn it
accept it
get over it

:wolf:

SinisterB

Smash Champion
Slippi.gg
SINS#333
NNID
shadymaiden
REMINDER TO CHANGE YOUR WOLF TEXTURE DAWSON

:wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf:

:wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf::wolf: :wolf:
Dawson's ICs are ballzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzS

SinisterB

Smash Champion
Slippi.gg
SINS#333
NNID
shadymaiden
RAH RAH AH AH AH

ROMA ROMA MA

GAGA

OOH LA LAAAAAAAA

that one

btw i'm gonna be there early this time Jake, random hype~

Deap

Smash Ace
NNID
Deap92x
rofl

Which song?

Don't forget, guys, come early and bring Wiis! I'll be there at 10:45, and I don't want to be sitting around by myself for an hour. =[

:005:
if u are there early just chill, relax all cool, shoot some b-ball out of the venue u know dawg

Top Bottom