• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Canada [Jul 26, 2014] B.C. Brawl Monthlies - Back in business, now featuring Smash 64! (Burnaby, BC)

| Big D |

Smash Master
I think we learned a lot about ourselves today, especially about ourselves because deep down, we are searching for guilt because we are all guilty on the inside, but we must look for the goodness in people, because when you go looking for fault, you will find it, which is in terms a lot like the media, who are brainwashing young people, which can also explain people's terrible taste in music nowadays, including rap and dub step, but I heard a cool Zelda dub step in warm up at a tourney, which my team thought was terrible, I didn't say anything due to the pressure to fit in, because nobody wants to be singled out, that person singled out is society's scapegoat, which is what people like Stalin and Hitler, and those were some pretty mean dudes, although they helped their economy tremendously, but we must remember that we are equal, we cannot put another life at a lesser value, that makes you look bad and you're probably bad, but still equal, which brings up the point of a single death is a tragedy while a million deaths is a statistic, kind of like Steve Jobs and Africa, but everybody has an iPod, but not me, I use a DS, because I'm cool, but how much technology do we need, there is no shortage of land and I believe the World can be fed, no one should go hungry, which brings me to the fact my school is doing a canned food drive for Christmas, but I unloaded Christmas trees for two and a half hours and I'm tired, but it's a commitment I made and I intend to keep, just like any tech in brawl, no matter the difficulty, although the buffered pivot grab infinite was too hard, but we all have to give up sometime, it takes a big man to admit defeat, and I'm pretty big, and you probably noticed by now this is one long run on sentence.

TL;DR I'm wrong, you're right, and I'm bad
And Kevin did not once spell "Bob-omb" right.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Omg who cares you guys get the point that Bomb-omb and bombs = Peach's Bom-omb! I've never played a Mario game before so my ignorance is now excused.

Nice run-on sentence. Almost makes me wants to pretend to be SKidd and point out every single error. :p

| Big D |

Smash Master
I don't think you understand, without dreamers, brawl's metagame would not develop.

For you see, hope came to me in a dream in the form of a tire.

And I'm in the smash lab so everything I say is legit K?

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Random Fact: Only today have I realized what that Smash Lab icon is. I always considered it to be a Christmas Tree until I looked more closely and realized it was an Erlenmeyer Flask!

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
I dunno. You should ask our resident scientist!

By the way, since I've been playing Brawl *seriously* for only 4-5 months (compared to my previous 30mins a month) now you should never trust what I say when it comes to the game... unless it's about Zelda. :(

Deap

Smash Ace
NNID
Deap92x
i still dont get why u guys discuss a lot about the game

just friking play the ****ing game

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Oh puh-lease! You land some good stuff on Wifi... which I barely play and suddenly you're the king of the world?

Need I remind you that I beat your Falcon with my Zelda... in my first tournament where I pretty much had NO experience in this game?

SinisterB

Smash Champion
Slippi.gg
SINS#333
NNID
shadymaiden
Deap used falcon against me once

his SD -> SD combos inspired me

No smashfest tomorrow guys, i don't usually get sick but haven't been feeling the greatest lately :c

see you at the monthly

I caught a peach bomb once no lie

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
^Lol'd at that more than I should have. >_>

Oh and might I add that landing a Bom-omb on you is going to taste so Sweet!, Deap? You already had a taste of it on Wifi... time for the real thing!

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
I'm confused... what exactly did he do to counter it?

From what I could tell, Olimar shielded the attack then used his brokenly long grab as a punish. Like with Zelda, I'll up tilt when I feel a side b is coming my way. With Peach I would neutral air, but my timing is quite bad, lol. Sheik... I have no idea what to do.

By the way... there's no satisfaction in beating my Zelda unless you're playing Ganondorf. For one, I'm a terribad player and second Zelda is just as bad.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
The key to punishing side B is simply to use a move that comes out reasonably quickly and has a long lasting hitbox so that your timing doesn't have to be super precise for your move to land. It's also nice if it has a reasonably large hitbox so you're not likely to miss. In my case, Yoshi's Nair is great for this, as it comes out on frame 3, lasts quite a while, and though the hitbox is far from disjointed, it covers his frame almost entirely so if the phantasm's hitbox collides with Yoshi, it'll very likely hit Yoshi's hitbox as well, resulting in a clash at worst. I'm not too familiar with how Sheik's hitboxes work, but my best guess would be to try either Dsmash or Nair (maybe Bair?).

Keep in mind that Falco isn't actually vulnerable throughout the phantasm; rather, his hurtboxes (areas that dictate where he can be hit during the move) only appear at a few fixed points throughout the phantasm. If you hit his phantasm but not at one of those points, you'll clash with the move and neither of you will be injured.

:005:

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Wow nice writeup Jake.

I think Crisis is so used to me intercepting his Side B that he does it at crazy heights but in such a way that he can't be punished by me.

Captain L

Smash Champion
or you can just randomly grab when he comes at you, and grab armor him like a boss.

(as a Pikachu main, you risk taking like 7% or whatever, and your reward for doing it successfully is ~100%)

Kantrip

Kantplay
Yes, Rob. That's probably a bad thing. Anyone who has Pokémon memorized by what letter of the alphabet they correspond to needs to settle down ;)

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
No, I know the Pokemon by their number up to I forget how high (more than 26 Raichu), and I know what every number corresponds to each letter, so all I did was just transfer the pokemon to the number to the letter. I did that in 10 seconds flat.

Captain L

Smash Champion
my pokemon codes need to be a little more complex then....

:016: :144: :099: :011: :003: :024: :168:

requires some math
I don't expect anyone to get it by the way

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Does that spell Pikachu?
*Can't think of any other relevant 7 letter words*

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
Is the code consistent? As in, assuming each pokemon leads to a single letter, is the code from pokemon to letter the same for each pokemon? If each has a completely different code, then it is virtually impossible to determine the message.

That said, Kev, it is possible that given 7 pokemon, the message may not necessarily be 7 letters long. However, Landon saying that it is in fact Pikachu does make it 7 letters.

And just for the record, using the pokemon in order, I have managed to get PIAKCH?. Each using a completely different code. And I only got that because I know what the final outcome is supposed to be.

/codetheory

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Okay time for a code of my own. Will anybody figure it out? The code is consistent.

:121: :220: :070::133::041:

Yes, it's easy as hell to decipher. I'd rather not fry everybody's brains though.

I didn't even need any mathematical concepts (besides being able to count) to solve Landon's code. How pro!

Asa

Smash Hero
I'm confused... what exactly did he do to counter it?

From what I could tell, Olimar shielded the attack then used his brokenly long grab as a punish. Like with Zelda, I'll up tilt when I feel a side b is coming my way. With Peach I would neutral air, but my timing is quite bad, lol. Sheik... I have no idea what to do.

By the way... there's no satisfaction in beating my Zelda unless you're playing Ganondorf. For one, I'm a terribad player and second Zelda is just as bad.
the method was
1. turn around
2. shield/powershield the phantasm
3. punish

i've told you this method before but a vid would be helpful too imo

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
the method was
1. turn around
2. shield/powershield the phantasm
3. punish

i've told you this method before but a vid would be helpful too imo
Oh okay! Sorry I have a bad memory it seems. I will definitely keep this in mind... if I even get a chance to try this that is!

Thanks Bryan! :)

Captain L

Smash Champion
every pokemon represents a letter. The code is consistent throughout, except arguably for the first letter.

The Pokemon selected for each letter is dependent on the letter before it.

Top Bottom