• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jigglypuff General Discussion Thread (Q&A)

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
what is the use of Dsmash? I find myself never using that move at all =/

When would be the best time to use it? (besides like a taunt thing because of it's funny animation. x3)

Noobicidal

Smash Master
what is the use of Dsmash? I find myself never using that move at all =/

When would be the best time to use it? (besides like a taunt thing because of it's funny animation. x3)
There is too much start up lag for it to have any real use. On the off-chance that you actually manage to hit someone with it, it's good for edge guarding due to the horizontal knockback.

T-block

B2B TST
I once used Jigglypuff's d-smash to hit my opponent into the Bulborb on Distant Planet...

But yeah, other than that it's not great. The charge animation is sweet though

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
hahaha that is so funny, T-Block xD and i love the charge animation too.

And for Jab uhmm i use it rarely but it doesn't have the gtfo factor of some jabs. I tend to not use it and use tilts instead.

Though it could provide a mixup.

T-block

B2B TST
Frame 5 is terrible for a jab... I think it's still your fastest ground option, but really...why would you want to be in a position where jab would be your best choice anyways?

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
d-smash has **** range, **** knockback and hits on only one frame. Yeah... don't use it please.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Jab is good when mixed up with dash attack, grabs and jumps.

And by "good" I mean "not horribly useless".

It also has a good surprise effect because no one ever expects Jiggs to use a ground move.

Tham

Smash Apprentice
does jiggs have any grab release chains (e.g. on ness or lucas?)
someone told me and i was a bit astonished

Noobicidal

Smash Master
does jiggs have any grab release chains (e.g. on ness or lucas?)
someone told me and i was a bit astonished
I just did some testing, and I'm pretty sure that she doesn't have any GR chains of that nature.

Atheist1248

Smash Rookie
Hey, I'm a long time lurker, first time poster. I was wandering if I could start a research thread to try and get more activity on these boards because there so dead. If I can I could probably have the basic thread up in about a week.

Noobicidal

Smash Master
Hey, I'm a long time lurker, first time poster. I was wandering if I could start a research thread to try and get more activity on these boards because there so dead. If I can I could probably have the basic thread up in about a week.
I have nothing against you making that thread, but it'll certainly die, just like every other project on this board. There is NOTHING else that we can get out of Jigglypuff. I'm not even being pessimistic about this.

We've explored grab release options, glide tossing, JC throws, jab locks and set ups, Rest set ups, infinite off-stage jumps, true combos with Bair, B-Stick Rising Pounds, and so on. If you (or anyone else for that matter) actually manage to find something new, I'll eat my hat.

T-block

B2B TST
Welcome to the boards, Atheist.

What exactly do you mean by research thread? And how many research topics do you have in mind? It'd probably be better if you posted stuff in this thread... I bet we already know the answers to some of the stuff you'll propose.

Atheist1248

Smash Rookie
Exact kill percentages for rest with DI included (GOOD DI, not just holding to the side or whatever, this would be character dependent). I think in the current data, at least in the general guide, some of the numbers seem a little low and thats the only place I've seen them.

Properties of tripping with the Dair. What percentages does it work at? You probably have this already. Does the rise in enemy damage affect how often they trip? Does it very by character?

Character specific tactics against Diddy. One good reason to have jiggs, and yet I don't see any tactics for specific use against Diddy. These could include using his bananas against him, rest interrupting some of his moves, etc.

Further exploration of moves that Nair will interrupt, specifically projectiles and recoveries.

A list of true combos, that would be pretty small I realize, and maybe some strings or psuedo combos that can usually get enemies would be beneficial

Advantages in the frame data would also be kind of nice, instead of having to calculate them yourself everytime you want to look at it, even if it is easy to do.

Wavelanding could also be an interesting topic, though you have probably explored it already.

I know Veril took down his thread on rest interruption a while ago, but I don't see anybody investigating it more. I found this very useful and I think we should try to start it again.

Note: I'll be gone for the next three days so don't expect a response to whatever you post until then.

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
for your question of true combos, jigglypuff doesn't have any. It's not a Jigglypuff thing, but a Brawl thing. Hit stun is so low it's rare for characters to have true combos, and if they do have them it's nothing amazing.

The_Jiggernaut

Smash Ace
Exact kill percentages for rest with DI included (GOOD DI, not just holding to the side or whatever, this would be character dependent). I think in the current data, at least in the general guide, some of the numbers seem a little low and thats the only place I've seen them.

Properties of tripping with the Dair. What percentages does it work at? You probably have this already. Does the rise in enemy damage affect how often they trip? Does it very by character?

Character specific tactics against Diddy. One good reason to have jiggs, and yet I don't see any tactics for specific use against Diddy. These could include using his bananas against him, rest interrupting some of his moves, etc.

Further exploration of moves that Nair will interrupt, specifically projectiles and recoveries.

A list of true combos, that would be pretty small I realize, and maybe some strings or psuedo combos that can usually get enemies would be beneficial

Advantages in the frame data would also be kind of nice, instead of having to calculate them yourself everytime you want to look at it, even if it is easy to do.

Wavelanding could also be an interesting topic, though you have probably explored it already.

I know Veril took down his thread on rest interruption a while ago, but I don't see anybody investigating it more. I found this very useful and I think we should try to start it again.

Note: I'll be gone for the next three days so don't expect a response to whatever you post until then.
I really like the mindset you show by asking these questions, and I would really like to see a research thread by you. You should make it, and be sure to not listen to any other members of the board if they tell you you shouldn't. Be very sure. If they they and bad-mouth you, it's probably because they are still bitter about not being able to find anything game-breaking with Jigglypuff. Don't take it personally.

If you do make it, I might even help out with things if you wanted. Heck, I might even start playing this game again.

Oh, and I know it's kinda late, SNO, but I could still help you with your guide if you want.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Can somebody tell me how to interrupt Metaknight's Tornado and Diddy's Fmash with Rest and how I can practice it?

Its been around for a while and I've never been able to learn it succesfully, and I'm not sure how reliable it is either. I'm just going to Apex 2 soon and I want to be able to pull every trick in the book with Jiggs so hopefully I'll be able to get this down packed before I go.

The_Jiggernaut

Smash Ace
Not sure about for Diddy, but I've interrupted the tornado with rest a few times. I never did it consistently, so I don't know how much help I'll be.

First of all, you probably know that the weakness in MK's tornado is near the top at the middle. Since this is the place you can hit him, this is were you will need to be. The trick, I believe, is to DI such that you kinda pop upwards into this spot and then rest.

You need to basically spam rest while using the c-stick to try and go towards the weak point. If you rest but miss, you will be hit out of it instantly, so you don't have to be spot on.

As for Diddy, after getting hit by the first part of the f-smash, you need to DI as fast as possible towards him and rest. That's basically it, I think. Quarter-circle DI is probably your best bet, and I'm sure someone else will correct me if I'm wrong.

GeneralWoodman

Smash Lord
Can somebody tell me how to interrupt Metaknight's Tornado and Diddy's Fmash with Rest and how I can practice it?

Its been around for a while and I've never been able to learn it succesfully, and I'm not sure how reliable it is either. I'm just going to Apex 2 soon and I want to be able to pull every trick in the book with Jiggs so hopefully I'll be able to get this down packed before I go.
Me, dapuffster, g-reg, vanz, san, and izumi all use jiggz so if you see one of them they might be able to help you out in some friendlies
Resting tornado isn't reliable and will only rarely work unless your in the perfect spot in the tornado. Jiggz can simply pop out of nado if used on her, so don't think of resting it as a reliable punishment

Titah

Smash Rookie
I apologize if this question has already been asked but....

Is there a post in the Jigglypuff forums where we fellow Jiggs mains can post videos of ourselves to get critiqued? I did see the very old critique post, but it looks dead hehe. So I didn't want to bump it.

On a side note, the videos that I have will be of Hawaii smashers (that's where I'm from) and pretty much majority (if not all) will be friendlies. It's also not specifically all Jigglypuff matches. So I apologize to thoose critiquing me :D

If you guys ever feel like watching my vids, you guys could just go this link http://www.youtube.com/user/ScottMagsayo

But yea...how about them critiquing? :D

Noobicidal

Smash Master
I apologize if this question has already been asked but....

Is there a post in the Jigglypuff forums where we fellow Jiggs mains can post videos of ourselves to get critiqued? I did see the very old critique post, but it looks dead hehe. So I didn't want to bump it.

On a side note, the videos that I have will be of Hawaii smashers (that's where I'm from) and pretty much majority (if not all) will be friendlies. It's also not specifically all Jigglypuff matches. So I apologize to thoose critiquing me :D

If you guys ever feel like watching my vids, you guys could just go this link http://www.youtube.com/user/ScottMagsayo

But yea...how about them critiquing? :D
Feel free to post your videos in the Video Archive. I keep it updated, and I'm sure if you want a video critiqued there, we'll be more than happy to help.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
i'll lol if we're in the same pool xd
I've got a good Wario, Luigi, and Lucario in my pool.

I'm probably going to use Diddy against Wario and Lucario but idk who I should use against Luigi.

Do you guys think Jigglypuff would be a better option against Luigi than Diddy would?

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Question: The best way to deal with a deal with a Taunt Party as Jiggs?
Go for one character at a time. Throw one of them off the edge and gimp them with your superb aerial attacks and mobility. The others won't be able to gang up on you when you knocking one of them out of recovery distance offstage.

Go for those that have bad recoveries first. Get the lead and then air camp the rest of the match.

If there are any smashballs this is what you should do.

When your opponent gets the smashball: Jigglypuff is one of the best characters at avoiding Final Smashes because she can escape by going off stage or below the level to avoid most of them. Just stay out of their way and make it as hard as possible for them to get you.

When you get the final smash: Use Jigglypuff's Final Smash under the stage in exactly in the middle if its a stage like Final Destination or smaller for best results.
Going under the stage allows you to stop people from avoiding it by hanging on the ledges or hiding under the stage. If you have trouble using rising pound or going under Final Destination efficiently then I do not recommend doing it under the stage because you will most likely kill yourself.

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
I'm pretty sure this isn't new since iirc someone here said almost everything for Jigglypuff has been found, but I thought this was interesting. I came across this while trying out some grounded footstool stuff with Lucas.

If Jigglypuff footstools Wario or Yoshi when they're on the ground, she has a guaranteed Rest if you use it immediately after footstooling them. I guess they have weird/unique footstooled animations or something, since there's some weird stuff Lucas can do to them after a grounded FS as well.

I dunno, maybe you can use it if you read a spotdodge/roll? It's sorta hard to footstool someone on the ground mid match. It's probably nothing.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
I'm pretty sure this isn't new since iirc someone here said almost everything for Jigglypuff has been found, but I thought this was interesting. I came across this while trying out some grounded footstool stuff with Lucas.

If Jigglypuff footstools Wario or Yoshi when they're on the ground, she has a guaranteed Rest if you use it immediately after footstooling them. I guess they have weird/unique footstooled animations or something, since there's some weird stuff Lucas can do to them after a grounded FS as well.

I dunno, maybe you can use it if you read a spotdodge/roll? It's sorta hard to footstool someone on the ground mid match. It's probably nothing.
Very very interesting, too bad Warios on the ground just about as much as Jigglypuff is, which is never.

I don't know if this has been found yet but I've never heard of it. Nice find. It should be semi-useful. Another trick to add to my bag of Jigglypuff shenanigans =D

EDIT: Actually scratch that, its not semi-useful. Its going to be hard as hell pulling this off and has a great risk. You need to do rest the very second you footstool jumping so you have to pull it off correctly or you'll get punished greatly for it. So first you actually have to approach them w/o them even hitting you and if they're shielding you'll do a footstool but they won't be affected by it.

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
What's that you say? A [situational] guaranteed rest setup? I thought they were extinct!

I don't think there's absolutely nothing left to learn about Puff; there's bound to be a few more pointless discoveries to be made. However, this doesn't seem entirely pointless at all.

No matter how unreliable this is, it could be a valid rest setup.
If anyone could provide some footage, it would be much obliged.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
What's that you say? A [situational] guaranteed rest setup? I thought they were extinct!

I don't think there's absolutely nothing left to learn about Puff; there's bound to be a few more pointless discoveries to be made. However, this doesn't seem entirely pointless at all.

No matter how unreliable this is, it could be a valid rest setup.
If anyone could provide some footage, it would be much obliged.
I'll get onto that. I can record quickly. Its fairly easy to do in training mode. Its just very very hard to do a ground footstool on an real opponent.\

Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMKY007IdRE

A technique found by Neon Ness on Smash World Fourms. Jigglypuff has the ablility to instantly rest Wario and Yoshi out of a foostool jump on the ground without them being able to do anything about it, otherwise its gaurenteed. This video shows a demonstration of it being done on a standing opponent and shows that it cannot be done on any other character. It also shows that you can do other moves out of it as well.

However, this technique is very very situational and risky. Foostooling an opponent on the ground is difficult in itself and missing rest can be very dangerous.

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
<333333
Awesome find Neon!

It's even more glorious than I pictured it to be :crazy:

Tier 1: Prove validity of alleged "rest combo"
Tier 2: Make it less useless by finding some miraculous grounded footstool setup.
Tier 3: Profit?

Even if we succeed at pulling grounded footstools out of our *****, this is still only useful against 2 characters AND it's situational... lol

I wonder if you can catch Wario with it out of his short grab-release.

(EDIT: The other footstool options are delicious btw.)

GeneralWoodman

Smash Lord
you can just full hop dair and footstool immediately after
i've known about this for a long time, but its more a gimmick combo you use in basic brawl and friendlies...its rare that a floaty 5 jump character will get a grounded footstool on purpose xd
Your better off just short hopping into someone and resting imo, since they have to have their shield down to footstool.
This could be useful on yoshi however, because of his shield system and big head
and footstool up-air was how veril's jab lock started...and i think that works on mk too

Top Bottom