• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jigglypuff General Discussion Thread (Q&A)

EraOfGames

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-7773-5577
Ha, it'd be hilarous if Resting out of nado could be done consistently so you can punish nado that punished your rollout.

EraOfGames

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-7773-5577
Short hopped spaced B-airs/F-airs and air Pound are probably the best. Mix in some dash grabs and airdodge>grab from behind. Works for me. Don't use f-air if you're afraid of staling a great kill move though.
I think n-air is risky cause the hitbox isn't too big to space with, but if it hits and you land, you can try following up with a grab. I usually use it as an intterupt move or damage racker.

Titah

Smash Rookie
I'm sorry if this has been answered already but...

Q #1: What is the best way to smash DI for Jigglypuff? (Actually, I'm not really sure what smash DI is)

Q #2: What are good stages for Jigglypuff?

Vmage

Smash Journeyman
Ok it's Canada. That's it no more details.
I'm sorry if this has been answered already but...

Q #1: What is the best way to smash DI for Jigglypuff? (Actually, I'm not really sure what smash DI is)

Q #2: What are good stages for Jigglypuff?
A #1: Smash DI is used when you're in a situation where you are trapped inside an attack zone. (example: getting hit by a smart bomb) In this case, it is often used in a situation if you get hit multiple times.

To do a smash DI, keep pressing up down left or right to move in that direction while getting hit multiple times.

Smash DI is to escape multihit attacks. Note that Metaknights tornado attack sucks you in. You may not be able to escape his tornado.

Sorry if I'm not explaining well. I need a video for demonstration.

A #2. Stages that are good for Jigglypuff are nice flat wide stages such as Final Destination. Stages like Summit is not that easy for Jigglypuff. Note that Norfair is hard for Jigglypuff since the platforms are very small.

EraOfGames

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-7773-5577
1) I wish I knew...I never do it right
2) Brinstar, Rainbow Cruise, Jungle Japes, and Delfino Plaza. Brinstar da bess.

T-block

B2B TST
When you're in hitlag (ie- when the attack connects and both you and your opponent are frozen for a while), each directional input will result in a small teleport in the direction pressed. Rotating the control stick will result in multiple SDI inputs... you can SDI with the c-stick as well, but the c-stick has to return to neutral between directions so it's not as effective. SDI is most useful for getting out of multi-hit moves. Pikachu's d-smash is probably the best example... get Pikachu to d-smash you, and while you're in the attack, mash up on the analog stick and c-stick. This should get you up far enough to escape the final hit.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
This is the best advice the Jiggs board has left? I'm disappointed in all of you, but blame myself.

Jigglypuff's best stage is Norfair. It is the most aerial stage in the game, with the most emphasis on ledges. Jigglypuff's horizontal aerial movespeed is high enough to move between ledges without jumps. It has a high ceiling from the bottom platform. The hazards force people to move aerially. Jigglypuff's f-throw and b-throw have high enough constant knockback to force into the wall. Dash attack and f-smash better than usual here too, it's just a great stage for Jigglypuff in every way.

Second best is usually Brinstar. Stale your bairs (and ground moves) on the stage objects to use fair more liberally. Abuse Rest.

Rainbow Cruise is surprisingly mediocre as a Jigglypuff stage. People spend more time on the ground that you think, and grounded positions are more defensible.

Jigglypuff prefers narrower neutrals like Smashville and Battlefield; platforms she can abuse don't hurt her game. Strike/ban Halberd for it's low ceiling, especialyl agianst the likes of DDD or Snake.

EraOfGames

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-7773-5577
Mario Bros is banned though.

Imma try using Norfair as my cp and see how it goes, but sometimes it's banned and right now I'm not very familar with the stage.

Titah

Smash Rookie
When you're in hitlag (ie- when the attack connects and both you and your opponent are frozen for a while), each directional input will result in a small teleport in the direction pressed. Rotating the control stick will result in multiple SDI inputs... you can SDI with the c-stick as well, but the c-stick has to return to neutral between directions so it's not as effective. SDI is most useful for getting out of multi-hit moves. Pikachu's d-smash is probably the best example... get Pikachu to d-smash you, and while you're in the attack, mash up on the analog stick and c-stick. This should get you up far enough to escape the final hit.
Thank You T-Block. I was doing some friendlies today with my friends, and I was avoiding some combos that would have killed me.

Much Mahalos.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Can someone here please convince me to main Jigglypuff, Ive been considering her but I can't decide to main either her or Ganondorf.

I figured I'm a rubbish player so there's no point picking a high tier unless I actually could palce, which I won't, so I might as well just enjoy maining a low tier.

The thing that turns me of the Dorf is not that he's rubbish, it's that he gets camped far too easily. Jiggs sucks too but doesn't seem to have as much problem dealing with projectiles as such.

So can someone give me a good reason to main her just to push me over the line, I feel like I need some convincing, and this board really needs as many mains as it can get.

EraOfGames

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-7773-5577
Can someone here please convince me to main Jigglypuff.
Hmmmm

• Is adorable
  • Is hilarous
  • has an awesome recovery
  • not easily combo'd
  • good spacing
  • floaty
Those are the reasons why I main her at least.
Also, since Jiggs is like the most underplayed character, your opponents might not know the MU well.

Cold Fusion

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ JIGGLYPUFF OR RIOT ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Can someone here please convince me to main Jigglypuff,
Most people here can convince you not to. But...
I figured I'm a rubbish player so there's no point picking a high tier unless I actually could palce, which I won't, so I might as well just enjoy maining a low tier.
This changes everything. If you like to hit your opponent once and then jump around for 7 minutes, then Jiggs is the way to go. If you like sleep-killing, then Jiggs is the way to go. If you like yawning, then stick with Jiggs. If you like (Insert cheesy thing here), then Jiggs is the way to go.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I have a few questions:

Should Jiggs ever-

Shield
Spotdodge
Roll
Airdodge

I have a bad habbit of doing all of those things way too much, so I'm considering switching shield to control pad, so that I condition myself not to use it. I'll still be able to shield, but I'll have to consciously think about it, it'll also make it very uncomfortable to roll so hopefully it will condition me out of that.

Does b-sticking have any applications? I thought people might use this to perfect rest certain moves in the air more easily.

What are Jigg's best options OOS? And this is gonna sound crazy, but does anyone do sing OOS? I know it's a rubbish move, but I thought if you blocked something the opponent may spotdodge fearing the grab and you might catch them on the second or third pulse of the song. I'm guessing it's a pretty bad idea but I just wanna know why before I try it in a match.

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
I have a few questions:

Should Jiggs ever-

Shield
Spotdodge
Roll
Airdodge

I have a bad habbit of doing all of those things way too much, so I'm considering switching shield to control pad, so that I condition myself not to use it. I'll still be able to shield, but I'll have to consciously think about it, it'll also make it very uncomfortable to roll so hopefully it will condition me out of that.

Does b-sticking have any applications? I thought people might use this to perfect rest certain moves in the air more easily.

What are Jigg's best options OOS? And this is gonna sound crazy, but does anyone do sing OOS? I know it's a rubbish move, but I thought if you blocked something the opponent may spotdodge fearing the grab and you might catch them on the second or third pulse of the song. I'm guessing it's a pretty bad idea but I just wanna know why before I try it in a match.
Rolling can occasionally get you punished because there are not many viable ground options available. Same principle for spot dodging, except less frequently will it cause you trouble (don't worry too much about it though).

Since when is shielding bad? Against grabbers?
If your problem is shielding for too long and letting someone grab you, simply shield grab them, or OoS. Don't change it to the control pad, keep it on "L" (or "R" if you're one of those people).

B-sticking's only application is for resting though multi hit moves because it allows you to DI freely with the control stick, and rest.
Sadly, this is it's only application and it does it's job very well.
Don't B-stick, having free control over aerials and DI is a much better substitute.

Some good OoS options are n-air, d-air, dash attack, and (obviously) grab.
Sing OoS has been discussed in the past and we soon figured that it is an extremely effective way to land sing, and an even better way to get punished.
Use it only if your opponent's damage is above 200% where you will have a frame advantage. Then use a smash or dash attack and that should settle things.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Rolling can occasionally get you punished because there are not many viable ground options available. Same principle for spot dodging, except less frequently will it cause you trouble (don't worry too much about it though).

Since when is shielding bad? Against grabbers?
If your problem is shielding for too long and letting someone grab you, simply shield grab them, or OoS. Don't change it to the control pad, keep it on "L" (or "R" if you're one of those people).
I don't really get grabbed out of shield. It's more I just cower in it when I don't know what to do and get pressured. But yeah I'll try to OOS more.

B-sticking's only application is for resting though multi hit moves because it allows you to DI freely with the control stick, and rest.
Sadly, this is it's only application and it does it's job very well.
Don't B-stick, having free control over aerials and DI is a much better substitute.

Some good OoS options are n-air, d-air, dash attack, and (obviously) grab.
I didn't think you could dash attack OOS, so I'm assuming you meant after a powershield.

Sing OoS has been discussed in the past and we soon figured that it is an extremely effective way to land sing, and an even better way to get punished. Use it only if your opponent's damage is above 200% where you will have a frame advantage. Then use a smash or dash attack and that should settle things.
But surely you would only need them to be over 200% if you caught them on the first pulse. If they spot/airdodge fearing the grab, surely you'll catch them on the second or third pulse wouldn't you? Then you only need them to be one something like 80%

Also, can some explain to me what happened here- I was versing a Falco at Halberd (on the ship part with all the gimmicks) and I tried to read a roll and I sung (I was trying to be flashy on wifi) but the Falco didn't roll. After pausing for a bit he dashed at me (probably going for a grab), then the next thing he slides halfway across the stage in his sleeping animation (past my Jiggs).

I'm guessing you guys have seen that before but I was curious to know what that was.

EraOfGames

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-7773-5577
I usually use grab and utilt OoS. Rest would work very well, just look for the right moment.

Also the sliding thing you were talking about is known. They don't lose momentum when falling asleep after dashing or a momentum move like Rollout. It's amusing but makes sing worse since they're now farther away from you, so you have less follow-ups.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
But to utilt OOS you would have to drop the shield first, so you would be losing frames unless you powershielded.

I thought the only moves you could do OOS were grabs and anything jump-cancelled or out of a jump.

So how do you DA or utilt OOS?

GeneralWoodman

Smash Lord
they're just referring to a dropping their shield after getting hit to punish a laggy move after it ends. shield drop isn't as slow as in melee. tap your shield button over and over and you'll notice the different when compared to melee

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
I didn't think you could dash attack OOS, so I'm assuming you meant after a powershield.
Just drop your shield and dash attack, it comes out quick. Also good with a power shield.

But surely you would only need them to be over 200% if you caught them on the first pulse. If they spot/airdodge fearing the grab, surely you'll catch them on the second or third pulse wouldn't you? Then you only need them to be one something like 80%
I don't think you understand. If you sing OoS, you are going to hit your opponent with the first wave. While they suffer from shield stun, thats when you sing.

Then just buffer that dash attack like crazy.

Cold Fusion

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ JIGGLYPUFF OR RIOT ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
What're the best ways to improve at smash? I've got alot of time on my hands now, so I can actually get better.
Expect similar answers. The best way to improve is by playing offline. The 2nd best method I would say is Wi-Fi, but don't Wi-Fi too much.

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
What're the best ways to improve at smash? I've got alot of time on my hands now, so I can actually get better.
Find someone decent at smash to play offline with. They should have an understanding of competitive smash if you want to get better. You don't get good by playing with bad players.

Wi-Fi isn't the best way to improve, but playing good people over a decent connection is good practice. The timing of your actions are slightly different though, so don't play online too much.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Learn to DI, SDI, momentum cancel, buffer.

Then implement all of it in games against (good) human players.

EraOfGames

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-7773-5577
....fffffffff, offline. Now I have to find some brawlers around here, but I doubt there are any decent ones and I've tried before. I could probably attend tournaments regularly since the SoCal smash scene is pretty good. Must learn to drive.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
How do you stop the boost glitch in the air? (Sorry I don't know what it's called).

The one where you're in the air and you just float up randomly and it's not a jump.

Top Bottom