• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Jigglypuff Competitive and Metagame Discussion

Daltonthelou

Smash Rookie
This might be common knowledge but you can press jump and attack at the same time going backwards and not turn around while doing bairs

Syelerion

Smash Rookie
This might be common knowledge but you can press jump and attack at the same time going backwards and not turn around while doing bairs
That's interesting, but I can't quite imagine how it works. I'm not sure if I'm doing it right or what. I really like Jiggly's Bair, but I find it hard to use since I always have to face behind my opponent and I'm generally just new with Jigglypuff. >_<

Jiggly

Drop the mic, cause these fools sleeping on me
The FBI Surveillance Van outside your house.
NNID
Jiggly101
Ledge cancel sing is really good this game, I don't understand why everyone is trashing sing. It's proven to be nice to get a forward smash in, as it lasts a long time now as well. I love Jigglypuff's ledge game this time around.

TM_icecream

Smash Ace
All testing done by icecream, in Training Mode against a lvl 3 fox, 3DS american build, October 11th, 2014.

Jab 1: 3%
Jab 2: 3%

Ftilt: 10%
Utilt: 9%*
Dtilt: 10%
*sometimes did 8%, can't explain why, maybe a small sour spot somewhere?

Uncharged Fsmash: 15%
Full charged Fsmash: 21%
Uncharged Usmash: 12%
Full charged Usmash: 16+3/4%
Uncharged Dsmash: 11%
Full charged Dsmash: 15+1/3%

Sour spot Nair: 6%
Sweet spot Nair: 11%
Sour spot Fair: 6%
Sweet spot Fair: 9%
Bair: 13%*
Uair: 9%
Dair: 1%, 2%, 1%, 2%, 1%, 2%, 1%, 2%, 2%(strong hit,) 14% total
*has a sweet spot, but only does more knock back, not more damage

Sing: no damage
Pound: 11%
Rest: 20%, flower does 1% with up to 36 hits(smallest flower) potentially 56% total
Uncharged Rollout: 7%
Full charged Rollout: 14%

Pummel: 3+1/10%
Fthrow: 5%, 5% = 10% total
Bthrow: 10%
Uthrow: 10%
Dthrow: 4%, 6% = 10% total

Getup attack(ledge): 6%*
Getup attack(ground) :7%
*getup attack doesn't change over 100% anymore

Hitzel

Smash Ace
If you want to learn or work on how to approach, watch hbox. Both sm4sh footage and melee, she has to get in the same ways and her movements are nearly identical.
Do you have any links to Hungrybox's Smash 4 stuff? Haven't seen a second of Jigglypuff play from him in Smash 4 yet.

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729

One of my matches. If you guys want me to post more, let me know.

Watch from about 2:40 to see a nice string of attacks followed by (me dying, then) a cool rest mindgame/setup. It's something that I do in Melee and I carried over >_<

Jiggly

Drop the mic, cause these fools sleeping on me
The FBI Surveillance Van outside your house.
NNID
Jiggly101

Watch from about 2:40 to see a nice string of attacks followed by (me dying, then) a cool rest mindgame/setup. It's something that I do in Melee and I carried over >_<
This was great to see, as I haven't seen much puff in smash 4 besides Awestin...

Langley

Smash Rookie

Nice job.
I wish more people would dedicate to Puff or at least post in-depth videos on her.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I took up Jigglypuff again recently, since she used to be one of my Brawl mains. And she is just incredible now.

I like to think of her as the "Negative Little Mac" – worthless on the ground, but unparalleled in the sky. And this seems to give her a lot more utility than the actual Mac.

TM_icecream

Smash Ace
Except she's better on the ground than he is in the air

And tbh he's better on the ground than she is in the air but ya, she's mega good I love her

Krynxe

3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
I have some video of me using the custom Sideways Pound. I'll post it tomorrow or something, but I found that it can really help puff's edgeguard game. It took me a while to get used to using that move since it doesnt go as far forward as regular pound, so I kept on missing people until I got the hang of it :p

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
Been playing Jiggs online for a good amount now and she can get the job done if you play smart and don't play to aggressively. I found full hop B-Air into U-Air seemed to be a good approach option as the B-Air covers the air and U-Air covers the ground. Her N-air is actually has some really good knock-back so it's a good OOS option. D-Air is surprisingly useful for catching aerial opponents but I think N-Air, B-Air, and F-Air do a better job. Though Rest is buffed it still can't combo into U-Air that well or any of her throws.

The best use I could find for Rest is punishing opponents who dash attack your shield on the ledge. Though I have only had it hit a few times most of my whiffed Rest are due to online lag but is good an option non the less. The biggest problem I've had with Jiggs is her recovery, it's not bad in the slightest but it just feels...off, it's really hard to explain but this could just be a 3DS issue. Gimping is another issues I've had as her jumps feel weird so it is hard to properly align my self adjacent to my opponent to set up for a B-Air, or F-Air.

Overall I think Jiggs players will need to be incredibly patient this time around as she seems to rely mostly on her punish and gimp game though they take a lot of getting used to.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I'm just glad she does something none of my other mains and secondaries are capable of; actually landing a KO move. She's definitely a glass cannon this time around.

Which is weird now that I think about it considering her line's forté in Pokémon itself is Special Defense.

Last edited:

Coonce

Smash Apprentice
Gimping is another issues I've had as her jumps feel weird so it is hard to properly align my self adjacent to my opponent to set up for a B-Air, or F-Air.
I'm having a hard time landing bairs and fairs to gimp too, but I personally feel it's because I lack a c stick. In the meantime, try gimping with nair. Approach them in the trajectory you think they'll recover and throw out a nair. It has good active frames and will beat or trade with most up B's. It's what I've been doing until I get a c stick and properly edge guard with bairs to seal the deal.

Last edited:

Coonce

Smash Apprentice
I get a lot of gimps with fair. Bair is silly to Gimp with, it's one of your best kill moves.
Well you are right next to the blast zone if you're in a position to gimp. Might as well just end it if you can with a bair. I just need a c stick so I can land the friggin' thing.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
This might not be the right topic but according to Smash Wiki, "Charging Rollout can be stopped." but it does not tell you how. I have no idea. I pressed all the buttons. Who knows this?

CosmicFuzz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Masterphailure
3DS FC
4511-1602-4990
I usually get gimps using a combination of Fair and Nair. The Nair hitbox just lasts so long that it's fairly easy to just pull back and use it so they run right into you. It usually gets me those KO's that I would have missed by just going Fair and whiffing.

Krynxe

3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
I usually get gimps using a combination of Fair and Nair. The Nair hitbox just lasts so long that it's fairly easy to just pull back and use it so they run right into you. It usually gets me those KO's that I would have missed by just going Fair and whiffing.
100% this. People take note

people underrate nair. It's probably Puff's best move, no joke.

Coonce

Smash Apprentice
This might not be the right topic but according to Smash Wiki, "Charging Rollout can be stopped." but it does not tell you how. I have no idea. I pressed all the buttons. Who knows this?
0_o While I am intrigued, I still don't see rollout having much use even if you can stop the charge. Now if she could store the charge, that's a whole different story. Can you imagine charging it up when you have the time and then unleash it in an instant with the ability to instantly turn it around? That would be pretty sweet.

SyncNatsyu

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3007-8406-9326

Love corner to corner SH fair > full Hop fair > dash attack or OoS nair > SH fair > dash attack combos. Not sure why. (I need to fight a bowser, he looked terrifying walking towards you, let alone that run speed)

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Seriously, the priority on it is amazing. My gimping attempts were more successful when I started using nair.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
100% this. People take note

No doubt the move is super useful now because of its increased knockback.

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
Hey everyone, this is my first post in this section but I wanna make contributions and be an active part of the Jiggs boards. I been playing Jiggs in this game almost exclusively since late September.

I have a lot to offer and am part of a strong group of players in Tampa and play with Miami and other strong regions so I have a lot of opinions to share as well.

Since I'm mobile I cannot post videos but I have a lot recorded from a tournament I went to a few days back.

In other news, we should compile a list of what percents Puffs utilt kills at. I've gotten a lot of kills with an unavoidable utilt on people during air dodge lag caused by frame traps. I was mid/high percent and characters were around 115% on average, so it seems really strong. The up tilt does have a sweet spot, so maybe its required for this.

Also note that since Puff can dacus in this game, she probably has a lot of combos into usmash. The back hitbox is hugeee! It reminds me of Snakes utilt from Brawl honestly and I think we should explore it more. Maybe weak nair or fair to dacus will work? Its hard on the circle pad though obviously.

The toughest things I have trouble with is getting kills with Puff since good players don't get hit with bair too often as its kinda telegraphed, perhaps because of not having a cstick though.

I'm looking forward to discussing Puff with everyone and teaching/learning.

I'm gonna write a full guide on her when I'm home tonight.

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
Is anyone capable of compiling frame data for Puff? I am trying to get it now but its pretty difficult with what I have to work with.

Krynxe

3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
Is anyone capable of compiling frame data for Puff? I am trying to get it now but its pretty difficult with what I have to work with.
I can try to work on this, yeah
edit: The 1/4 speed (hold L) is not as reliable as I hoped. I don't have a capture card, so I don't actually think I can collect accurate frame data. sorry :(

Last edited:

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
I can try to work on this, yeah
edit: The 1/4 speed (hold L) is not as reliable as I hoped. I don't have a capture card, so I don't actually think I can collect accurate frame data. sorry :(
Its alright, Ill keep on trying myself and see if I have any luck. Also is Jiggs capable of jab resetting characters in this game? I can do it with other characters but fail to do so with her =[

I just dont understand, maybe the mechanics are different in ssb4, I really hope it works.

Krynxe

3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
I haven't been able to do it with puff and I try alllll the time

I'm pretty sure they intentionally made her jab have too much knockback to prevent jab reset rest from being a thing :(

Last edited:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
If this game didn't change the ledge system jiggs gimps would be so good. I kept catching people with bad di to chain two attacks off stage, and then they just make it back to the ledge and trump me, whenever I try to intercept I just get one hit and they vector up then just recover over me. It's frustrating, I feel like jiggs is ALMOST super great, just gets boned by certain things.

Yokoblue

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0345-0592-4740
I mained Jiggs in brawl but I feel in smash 4 she is lacking quite a bit.
I've played around 100 matches with her in for glory.

She lost a bit of speed and priority in this game and it hurt a lot.
I used to crush every big character or any slow mouvement from my opponent with my jiggs. Charging in and cancelling their attack with mine. In this game, I feel like her aerial no longer have the same priority.

I played against Link... who is usually an easy matchup since dodging projectile with jiggs is super easy. When I got in on him, any attack he has had priority over my fair, nair and bair. Even his kicks and slow sword hit always hit me even if I seemed to be just on time to stop hier attack before it came out.

Another good point for jiggs is usually her floatiness kept her from being comboed. In this game, i'm having a hard time getting out of jabs and other things. I need to work on my Vectoring but even then.. i think it was nerf a bit on that end too.

I feel like she can be good against certain character. Once we find some combo into rest (uair into rest isnt good enough imo) she might do a breakout but right now I don't feel it...

I'm one of the few that think she's worst than brawl. Don't get me wrong, she received TONS of buffs but to me, they removed a bit of speed and priority and that killed the character.

Last edited:

LightningLuxray

Smash Apprentice
Just wondering, how useful do you guys find Pound? I've been using it as one of my main approach options lately, and I'm wondering if I should stop. It's really nice for hitting them in the air and starting combos, but if you miss, you're left pretty vulnerable. Should I just try approaching with Fair, Nair, and Bair only? If so, when SHOULD I use Pound?

Yokoblue

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0345-0592-4740
Just wondering, how useful do you guys find Pound? I've been using it as one of my main approach options lately, and I'm wondering if I should stop. It's really nice for hitting them in the air and starting combos, but if you miss, you're left pretty vulnerable. Should I just try approaching with Fair, Nair, and Bair only? If so, when SHOULD I use Pound?
Like you said you get punished a lot for it. What I do is that I work on the shield 1-2 hit with standard approach (fair bair nair) and once 1-2 hit is in, you can try the pound. If done fast enough it will break the shield.
You can also use the pound to almost kill at really high percents (like 200%) if your opponent seem to dodge every move you try, it can be a good mixup.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
Pound is decent as a punish move at lower percents, especially if you're able to hit late so you can follow up immediately.

LightningLuxray

Smash Apprentice
Like you said you get punished a lot for it. What I do is that I work on the shield 1-2 hit with standard approach (fair bair nair) and once 1-2 hit is in, you can try the pound. If done fast enough it will break the shield.
You can also use the pound to almost kill at really high percents (like 200%) if your opponent seem to dodge every move you try, it can be a good mixup.
Yeah I've broken shields with Pound before, free Rest n_n

Alright I'll try less Pounds then, I think they may be why I'm doing so poorly ;_;

SyncNatsyu

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3007-8406-9326
I use pound to conserve jumps, a way to get back on stage, and shield pressure. My approaches are from SH/FH, Fair, Dair, Nair. I save Bair for kills unless I'm facing backwards already and don't want to use a jump to turn around. Occasionally I use D-tilt and dash attacks.

Speaking of which; How does everyone think of our D-tilt? Normally it's better to just go for OoS Nair(since d-tilt feels slow) but I've been using D-tilt after 2 jabs. Since we don't have a finisher people seem to try attacking once my jabs stop. D-tilt lets me duck under things I'd normally get hit for SHing.

Last edited:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Our jabs are depressing. So close to being godlike, but no jab resets that I can get, and no real follow ups.
ive being using ftilt and dtilt to hit people just mashing grab out of our jabs, if I predict a roll or jump away I'll try for a fading weak nair.
If 2nd hit jab had hitstun it'd be great.

Top Bottom