• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Japanese Video Thread

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I'm assuming the tournament was canceled due to the recent incidences in Japan. I'm not 100% sure about that though as the tourney was supposed to take place quite far away from the sphere of influence of the earthquake and the Tsunami. However, there are no updates on their site and 9B probably agreed it'd be more sensible to cancel the tournament.

At least, there are report that no smash players - neither Melee nor Brawl - have been harmed.

SRT is also officially canceled due to issues with electricity supply in the Tokyo area.

:059:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Actually the tourney took place and videos are being uploaded this very moment on the westsmash channel.

Based on the videos 9B [IC] beat El [MK] in WSF1 and Nietono [Olimar] beat Rain [Falco] in WSF 2 [no joke]. The LSF is Otori vs Kakera [MK ditto] with Kakera winning. That means that that Rain and EL both lost in LQF and got 5th; Otori got 4th and top 3 is between 9B, Nietono and Kakera.

My guess would be that Kakera beat Rain with IC and Otori beat El in MK dittos.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
He still enters tourneys regularly, AC. He entered the last - the "big" - sumabato and placed 13th/150. It's just that they don't record as much as I'd like them to.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Dang Japan is crazy. Double Olimar in winners finals? A Sheik in grand finals!?

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
New vids coming today btw of a tourney held in the east. Supposedly a preSRT tourney but I guess with SRT being canceled it's more like a replacement tournament.

Nietono won btw solidifying his position as #1 Olimar in Japan. More results later.

1st Nietono :olimar:
2nd Earth :pit: :sheik:
3rd Brood :olimar:
4th Shu :snake:

Earth beating Shu/Brood is probably the biggest upset in like half a year in Japan. I'm assuming Suinoko will post full results later.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Sheik is pretty good against Olimar and Pit is High Tier. So it's not like these results are completely random. US Pit players just need to stop being bad :bee:

Edit: I also assume it wasn't *that* big a tournament.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Ken went in the Melee days. People wanted to go to SRT as well but with the Earthquake and stuff the tourney was canceled.

Updating OP now.

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
Yes. Ken won in 2005 at the Jack Garden Tournament, beating out Bombsoldier in grand finals. The matches are some of the most legendary matches in Melee history, so if you take an interest in melee matches, I suggest you watch them.

Also, yes. Multiple Americans have been in Japan. At the moment, one melee player from washington is living there, and a brawl player named Kel who lived there for some time.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=12475253#post12475253

Full results are here. If I interpret the bracket correctly then:

Earth lost to Rain and Nietono
Brood lost to Nietono and Earth
Shu lost to Otori and Earth
Rain lost to Brood (!) and Shu
Otori lost Earth (!) and Nietono
Yui lost to Brood and Earth (!)

Basically Earth beat Yui, Otori, Shu and Brood one after the other. Breakthrough performance?

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
High Quality videos of the SRT rehearsal are finally on ssbbmania's channel. I will update after watching them.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
He's extremely inactive at the moment. Back in his day he used to be the #2 Snake in Japan, right after Shu.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
thank you for these references, I've been building a strong sheik by observing Earth, Cross, and Daiki, and seeing how their character actually gives them the ability to do what they do with her, despite what some say about her in the U.S. metagame.

Tesh

Smash Hero
can you read Japanese or something? i cant imagine how you know so much about there scene
go to japanese smash site
copy entire page
paste in google translate
get the gist of it

easy

thats what i did when i wanted to look at their ruleset

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Very good question, AC. According to Suinoko him and Souther are both very busy with various things [I don't know any details though] and they haven't entered a tourney since like October or longer. It's a pity because both used to be so good with their characters.

Dakpo, I don't speak japanese. I just check www.smashbrothers.org on a regular basis. Google Chrome translation is easily good enough to see what's going on and once you understand the translation of player names [like Nagahari = "the beam is" and Earth = "the uh"] it's fairly easy to see results and other stuff.

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
Am I the only one who can't open the spoiler box anymore?
It just puts me back to the top of the page :(

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
What the ... ? That must be a feature / side-effect of the new forum layout. I will talk to an admin and see how it can be fixed.

Edit: OP should work again now. I had to remove the pictures because you can't use images within spoiler tags anymore.

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
Edit: OP should work again now. I had to remove the pictures because you can't use images within spoiler tags anymore.
Oh, ok.

You should have put the images above the spoiler boxes D:

Would probably be better, dunno...

Thx anyway ^^

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Mini-Update:

New friendles / seriouslies in the OP:
Yui [Fox] vs Shu [MK], El [MK] and Tige [Diddy Kong]
Karamity [Fox, Yoshi] vs Earth [Pit]

Tourney matches:
Rain [Falco] vs Otori [MK] ... very one-sided, it's easily Otori's worst match-up

In other news the sign-ups for the next Sumabato tourney have started. It should be noted that the cancellation of SRT kept a "hole" in the demand for tourneys which is why the attendance for the last Sumabato was higher than usual [150 entrants] ... this seems to be the case again for the "special" Sumabato that's held on the first weekend of May afaik. You should check out the attendant list ... there's a lot of big names there:
http://smashbrothers.org/tournament/x/feslist

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
OP update with some interesting new matches of characters not seen too often. From ssbbmania's channel there are 4 new sets of Ocean's ROB:
vs Kie (Peach)
vs 9B (Lucario)
vs Torin (Toon Link)
vs White (Peach)

Unfortunately only Kie vs Ocean displays both character played at top level - the others aren't really representative for their characters but interesting to watch nonetheless.
As are the videos of Yuto, which I decided to include in the OP. We finally get to see a japanese Marth player - although he isn't the most successful you get to see him vs a Sonic, a GW , a DDD not named 9B and a Fox not named Yui.

In the meantime Sumabato has surpassed 100 attendants. Expect another update soon enough.

Top Bottom